Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Looks like that has been leaked for a bit, that the xoom is coming to Sprint. I am more interested in the leather case. Tell me more!

Edit: Seriously, not trying to be flippant here. I have the portfolio case on my Xoom and though it is adequate, that is all it is. A nice leather case would be the bee's knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

It is no old school SERO promotion now since EPRP is fairly close to the standard everything plans, so I think it is a fair way to bolster their subscriber numbers. The TEP thing pisses me off, but then again Sprint's whole service since about August 2010 has been pissing me off. There is just so much involved in fighting to get out of contract and :effort:

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

I kind of like having my google voice number and my sprint number separate, and then using the voice app to route communications through voice when I do things like craigslist transactions. I set my phone to ask prior to each dial, and boom, now I can block dillweeds who start harassing you over a price being too high or something. Losing that voice number or the ability to pick to text or call from voice or from sprint seems like a negative.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

OptimusMatrix posted:

Dammit come on Surprise. 4G is slowly coming online in Phoenix but not quick enough for me.

Holy crap, those things sprouted over night! I am technically covered now though I couldn't get signal in my house or yard. During my bike ride I was able to hop on 4G. If they keep expanding that out at a reasonable pace my Sprint ire will be extinguished.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

ThermoPhysical posted:

Hm...I didn't know all of that. But that would mean I'd have to root to use that, right? Is it hard to root the EVO?

Not even a little bit.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

Yeah it sucks because at launch my Evo could pull 1.5 Mbps during the day but now I am lucky to hit 300 kbps. I was tempted to jump ship, but where would I go? :(

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

I don't suppose the whole Network Vision shebang will have a positive impact on Sprint's super over saturation in any major metro area? If the back haul is overloaded, having a nice set of tri-band towers won't do much to fix it, correct?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

If this is her first repair, it should cost $35. Then she can get TEP on the replacement device. That is what happened to me.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

Alman posted:

Most of you probably don't care about this, but whatever:

So does this mean Sprint's already beleaguered network will now get Lightsquared users tossed into the mix? Super.

If they use the cash to actually make it so my Evo can get more than 89kbps during weekdays, then I will stop complaining.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

I thought backhaul was the sore spot in the network? I have only occasionally lost voice access in my area, but data is always poo poo. Tossing an additional frequency on the towers but jamming them into the same overcapacity data lines seems like a dumb idea if the goal is providing a service that is not terrible.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

I emailed ecare to beg for a one time extension of the annual device upgrade I initially setup my plan for. I heard ecare gives good results, so I let people in the thread know how it turns out since I know many others are in the same boat as myself.

If I do get the upgrade reinstated, I don't know if I am going to burn it on the Evo 3d though. If the Nexus 3 really does show up in the December/January timeframe, that may be worth the wait.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

Getting that one time extension on the yearly upgrade for silver premiere customers really was as easy as emailing from the Sprint site. Now I have an option come Evo3D time.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

1) Upgrade credits are on a line by line basis. Each line that is 22 months in is eligible. Upgrading one line does not trip the contract renewal on all others.

2) Nope. It would be easier when it comes time for the family plan people to go their separate ways if everyone had the contract on the same dates, but it is not necessary

3) Pretty sure you will have to kill your sprint service entirely then start a new EPRP plan after a cooling off period, something like six months? One of the sprint sellers here could tell you better.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

I have an email saying I get the full upgrade eligibility effective immediately, but my account still says in another 300 days or so. The email said to call telesales to have the upgrade applied, so maybe they are at least trying to wrangle people with the one time silver upgrade into telesales to get their upgrade.

Edit: Or I could jump on the DuckMan train to have that reset if it turns out he really can reset that date.

Also, the Photon sounds great, but if it is pentile I am out.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

I can't wait for the comparison shots between an Evo 3D and the Evo. Since the 3D has a wider aspect ratio it is taller and skinnier since it keeps the diagonal measurement at 4.3. I wonder if that will make portrait typing tougher. Also, now that I know the 3D can do both the 800 and 1900 bands it may be just the thing I need to get out of the hyper congested slow data hell as the new network initiative begins roll out.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

nate fisher posted:

The thing that bugs me the most about the reviews I have read so far (battery life I am reserving judgement) for the EVO 3D is what has been said about the qHD screen. While most reviews have said awesome upgrade they also have been saying it is lacking in comparison to many of the new phones coming out. It was even said that because of the 3D overlay the screen is not as good as the Sensation. From some reason that really bugs me.

My current view is if you don't have a EVO and want to upgrade I don't see how you can go wrong with the EVO 3D. My wife will jump to the it from the Hero next Friday. That said I don't see any real reason to upgrade from a EVO to the EVO 3D at this time. Especially with the SGS2 announcement coming soon (I know Samsung but the phone seems to be great according to overseas and reviews), and the rumored Sprint Nexus 3 at the end of the year.

I know the feeling, doubly so since the Nexus 3 is rumored to have a 1280x720 screen and I love my pixel density. My only concern with waiting for the new Nexus is that it is not guaranteed to come to Sprint. I thought Google and Sprint were going to be BFFs now or something, but a lot of the rumors indicate that the device will be built for 4G LTE networks like ATT and Verizon. Maybe they will have a third sku with a 4G wimax radio for Sprint.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

I have used the Innocase 2 Surface, some big fishbones case, and an otterbox case. I like the Innocase 2 the best. The other ones make it look cheap.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

I have seen them in Best Buys and Sprint stores. I just buy mine from Amazon.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

Ffffffuck I should call telesales and order one. Argh. I was going to wait for more user reviews, but my consumer lust is throbbing. Also, if someone can indicate if this phone is capable of using the Nextel bands for 3G data out of the box that would be super.

Edit: Screw it I bought it. If the Nexus 3 shows up I will just sell the 3D and buy the Nexus off contract.

Turnquiet fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 22, 2011

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

I went from Palm Centro to Evo last summer, and that was an amazing leap. I was expecting this upgrade to be far less impressive... yet here I am, amazed. This thing puts my Xoom to shame in performance. I love the higher DPI, brighter screen, everything. I used my wife's Evo and I immediately noticed how big all the font was. The enhanced DPI is amazing.

Looks like if the phone can use Nextel's old bands for 3G, they haven't been enabled yet. Same crap speed for Phoenix and its suburbs.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

I noticed I can't setup any special notification sounds like I could with the Evo. Huh. Is the stock Evo like that as well? I run Sense on the Evo with root and I always remember being able to change that.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

I am thinking I need to let the market dry out. I had mine up for 280, then 260, then 220, with people lowballing 160. I can float the $220 I paid for the 3D until Evos are rare again enough to demand a better price than $200.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

So Sprint/Clearwire people in the thread, kindly comment on this: Sprint will make a big 4G announcement this Fall.

My guess is it will announce their LTE plans. Unfortunately this means my sparse towers providing a tiny bit of coverage to the Chandler AZ area will never be amped up to provide proper 4G coverage. Clear and Wimax will just wither into oblivion.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

If I use the official unlocker on the Evo3D, can I then flash superuser.apk if I rename it to pg88316.zip or whatever it needs in order to be picked up by the boot strapper?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

That tower map is pretty cool. I noticed a few locations where I had atypically good speeds (like 2Mbps down, dream big, I know :rolleyes:) and right where I had them they were all flagged as "upgraded data capacity in the last 6 Mos). The towers where I NEED them to get the upgrade are in the nebulous "data capacity upgrade in next 6 Mos" territory, but it seems like the places where I could do the A/B comparison seem to bare out that if an upgrade does happen, it will resolve my issues.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

Just do the official HTC unlock and flash clockworkmod and superuser. Sense 3.0 is neat enough that you don't really need to swap the rom for something like cyanogen. With root you can adblock, tether, and do all the best stuff that comes from unlocking.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

Well then, that is an argument for a new rom. Either way, the path to CM7 will require him to unlock and flash recovery. He can just have a rooted stock as a pit stop on the way to greater things.

But does CM7 work with MHL out, 3D, and all the other stuff?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

And best news of all: Sprint is the official sponsor of the NBA. I think we all can agree that the turning point for sprint is now.

My sarcasm detector is broken, but this seems stupid. Aren't they cash-strapped to the point of not being able to build out their network (or provide enough backhaul to their network to make sure metro areas get greater than 10kbps)? Why are they wasting money on this bullshit?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

After Christmas specials:

Evo 3D: $99
Shift: $50
View: $200

And best news of all: Sprint is the official sponsor of the NBA. I think we all can agree that the turning point for sprint is now.

Evo 3D has the best hardware of pretty much any Sprint phone right now, and goes down to $99 after Christmas.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

Ugh, I have watched my five line family plan go up by like 10 dollars a line over the last 18 months due these stupid shenanigans. Maybe it is time to start banging the materially adverse change to a contract drum and jump ship to AT&T who, though evil, at least has an HSPA+ network were I live and work that doesn't give me ~7kbps speeds.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

Unlimited data is pretty useless when it comes at you slower than a dial-up modem.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

Sprint people (and principally you, Duckman), can I swap the contract date on a line with another date on a different line under the same family plan?

It goes like this: Wife has Evo 4g, contract is up June 2012. I have Evo 3D, contact is up July 2013. My work pays for an ATT phone, so I am missing out on a benefit that could save me ~45 a month if I ended a line with Sprint. Could I swap the contract dates on the Evo line with the Evo 3D line, and then cancel my phone number in the family plan while my wife counts down the clock on my contract?

I would just pull the get-out-of-ETF-free card with the change in family plan discount T&Es, but that could be financially onerous on the other 3 people in my family plan.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

Seemed ripe for abuse as I started typing the post, but thanks for the quick response! What if I were to TOL 3 of my 5 family lines into their own plan divorced from me and my wife, and then I invoked the change in T&C to kill my wife and I's lines? I imagine there would be resistance from Sprint, but I hear it is a legit change to the T&C, and hence a reason to get out ETF free.

I guess I would have to setup an ATT family plan first, and then arrange a porting of the numbers, which would kill the lines on Sprint... which would mean I had to retroactively fight for a refund... and if I fight for the discharge of ETF then I can't port my numbers... :negative

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

I heard that Sprint is flush we spectrum, but they are in a lovely way with backhaul and actually being able to feed that spectrum. Confirm/Deny?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

Are Sprint affiliate stores universally lovely with refurbs, or do they get them from the same source as Sprint corporate stores? I went through 6 returns with my wife's Evo 4G through the closest Sprint store, which is an affiliate/partner, and each one had gps issues. It wasn't until I got an Evo 4G replaced when I broke my usb port and swapped at a real Sprint store that we got a working one in return, which she inherited from me when I bought an Evo 3D.

And when my Evo 3D started develping phantom touch issues, the replacement I got from my affiliate actually intermittently shuts down the touch screen so I am pretty much without a phone until it decides to start working again.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

It is a good phone, though the Sense is the sensiest ever with swooshing home screens and the like. I trust once 4.0 lands it will be better still.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

I remember hearing about Clear (lol) doing LTE tests as early as a year ago. As I recall, Phoenix was a test market. Is Sprint still in bed with Clear? If so, maybe Phoenix will actually see some sort of Sprint 4g (loving finally)?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

Probably have to work for Chase.

So I am thinking about getting the Galaxy Nexus even though it is 3G only until Sprint gets an LTE network rolling in Phoenix Metro. Based on their WiMax deployment in the same area, this will never happen. But since it is an LTE Nexus device, I could safely assume it will get more software updates than most other phones despite a new generation of devices about to drop that will out class it. I never felt power constrained by my Evo when I upgraded to the 3D. I imagine I will be set for sometime on GNex class hardware.

Or am I dumb?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

HD calling option seems pretty classy though. That may be worth the cost of admission for me and my wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

I am not seeing the slot for a 4g SIM care like Verizon uses. Have I not examined the pictures closely enough, or is Sprint adding yet another hitch for manufacturers to get devices onto their network?