Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Skeezy posted:

He's coming from my old Hero and I think an Optimus would be a nice upgrade that won't cost anything.
The Optimus S isn't much of an improvement and isn't worth burning an upgrade, in my opinion.Only really a faster GPU. You should try rooting the Hero and installing CyanogenMod7 and overclocking.

Or buy a eBay/Craigslist Optimus and selling the Hero. Might only cost you $50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

mophomanners posted:

I'd say its probably on the campus..:ssh:
Can you tell me about the Clear 4G rollout in Scranton, PA? I think its still a test market because its not listed in the list of WiMax cities. Sprint's coverage map denies its existence, but Clear's map is, of course, a gross exageration and doesn't show the tower locations.

Also, are you a Clear tech, or do you work on Sprint's CDMA/EvDO network as well? Despite Scranton being the 'region capital' of the former third party iPCS network (or probably because iPCS severely neglected it), EvDO coverage outside of the central cities and Interstate 81 corridor is non-existant. Can I expect much of the 1x network to be converted to EvDO, or will Network Vision focus more on backhaul?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Good thing these multi-billion dollar telecoms (with legal and lobbying budgets to match) have loyal supporters like ExcessBlarg to defend them from big baddies like the FCC and TOS-violating customers. Now on to my questions that involves me sharing my family plan with two people that don't even live with me!

I'd like to enroll in automatic billpay to finally do away with that $4.99 spending limit charge, but I like to have my brother and sister pay directly through *3 or online rather than have to collect their payments myself. If my bill is issued on say, the 6th of the month with a due date of the 26th, when will the auto billpay withdraw the payment?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
None of you are enrolled in automatic payments to avoid the $4.99 account spending limit charge? At what point between your usual bill issue date and due date does the payment charge to your card?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

traveling midget posted:

I'm considering having someone buy my Evo, and I want to make sure my account, etc is secure before I do. What do I have to do to the phone, or through Sprint, to make sure it is clean, deactivated, etc?

Step 1 for me is to do a factory reset and wipe all the data from the phone. Beyond that, what do I need to do?
Once you've closed your account or have a new phone activated, open the dialer on the deactivated Evo and type ##786#, Menu>reset. Type in your MSL (master subsidy lock). This will perform a factory reset, remove any of your account information programming and have the phone startup the Hands Free Activation process for the new owner.

You can call customer service and get your MSL if you tell them you want to perform an RTN on your hone to sellvit on the used market. Or download a terminal program from the market and type in 'getprop' no quotations. Scroll up and find the line that looks something like
[rsl.MSL]:123456
That's your 6-digit MSL.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

quote:

Does the S stand for "Suckers"?
4S may sound like only a minor upgrade or refresh from the iPhone4, possibly just another A4 core with world phone CDMA/GSM capabilities. But 3G > 3Gs saw more memory and a CortexA9. Why wouldn't they keep the same case and 3.5" IPS screen and the dual-core A5 from the iPad2? Saves the 4G/5 name for the major redesign with 4"+ screen and mature 4G LTE?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Zosologist posted:

I'm gonna use my girlfriends upgrade to get me an evo 3d, I assume theres no trouble with this? gonna turn her samsung moment (tehe) into radioshack for the $75 credit
Is this a trade-in/recylcing credit unique to the Moment, or is this a promotion they're running where any Sprint phone gets the $75? When my partner got her Evo for Christmas, RadioShack took a 5 year old At&t GoPhone for a $99 credit.

EDIT2: Trade-in offer good 6/24 - 7/31/2011. $75 offer valid on *select smartphones* only.

http://50promo.sprint.com/
Hey Duckman, is that public services $50 promo the same program that gets the 23% corporate discout? It says its available for existing customer new add-a-lines as well, just without the $125 new smartphone credit.

Do you have to buy through the website or corporate to get this, or will it work with the $180 Evo3D Amazon deal? Since the 3D is unlikely to arrive before 5/23/11, could I add a line NOW and activate an extra Pixi I already own as a placeholder to make sure I get the $50 credit? Added lines automatically get a 2year contract; this is what they're really after, right?

EDIT: "This offer is only available online, via telesales, and in participating Sprint Stores."

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jun 11, 2011

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
*Select smartphones* eligible for $75 credit towards Evo. All worth significantly more sold on the used market. Sorry to break your heart Zosologist, the Moment ain't on there, and neither is my Pixi.

hotsauce posted:

Here are my questions:
2. I need the port-in credit to minimize the ETF from AT&T. Can I get a generic Sprint number now and port my longstanding number via Sprint and Google Voice later and still get the port credit (or do I need to sever the AT&T number instantly triggering an ETF in order to participate in Google's GV to Sprint deal?)

3. Lastly, let's assume I get all on board with Sprint. All is good, but I don't like the Nexus S. Do you all recommend I return it at $35 and grab an HTC EVO 3D? (while I know this question is theoretical, I wanted to ask anyway...)
If HTC follows through on their unlocked/unlockable bootloader promise, the 3D will most definitely have a large enough developer community to outweigh any benefit of having a Google Nexus device. Only thing missing is NFC and qHD SuperLCD vs. SAMOLED.

You're overthinking the Sprint GVoice integration. The # stays with Sprint and is only shared with GV. Don't worry about this until after you've ported your # from ATT, automatically cancelling your ATT account. Do nothing--don't tell ATT you're cancelling--just sit back and wait for the ETF bill to show up. I'd wait to port until the end of your ATT bill cycle but before 5/23. I've read in the other cell carrier threads about people not getting a prorated credit from the unused remainder of the cycle.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Pay the $100 deductible, then sell your clean pristine refurbished replacement for $250-300. Or eBay a screen and fix it for <$100 if you're handy.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jun 11, 2011

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

RodShaft posted:

Not sure if this is the thread, but here goes...

I got my Echo today. I pushed my contacts over bluetooth from my Touch Pro 2. I went to contacts on the Echo; they werent there. I imported from SD card. BAM they all show up. Then they slowly disappear. Like they just slowly disappear. I've narrowed it down to my google account deleting them, but the only fix I've found is not syncing my google account with my phone. That seems stupid. I thought syncing would you know Sync the information between the phone and the account. Not just delete everything off of one in favor of the other. Is there a way to copy my contacts to my google account maybe?

also my phone app doesn't pop up people's names when I start typing them. Like to call "mom" I hit "666" but it doesn't find "mom" it just puts "666". Is this an android thing or a Echo thing? Can I download a new phone app or dialer app or something to fix it?
You have a WinMo 6.x phone, whose only redeeming quality is having the best Exchange ActiveSync support in the smartphone world. Connect your TP2 to wifi and sync your contacts amd calendar with GoogleSync using Exchange.

address is m.google.com and your signon is xxxxx@gmail.com I think you leave domain blank if you entered @gmail.com

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Same here. First few days I was lucky to get 10 hours with light to moderate, yesterday I got 14 with heavy usage (was at Six Flags and played Game Prix Story and trivia games through the lines,
Since it was brought up, can anyone recommend a trivia game reminiscent of Trivial Pursuit? More like its choice of topics, not moving around a game board.

I already picked up Bible Quiz - Who am I?, but I want something my hellbound friends can play.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
I completely forgot about YDNJ. Is that franchise still in existence?

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 27, 2011

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
A line on my account just got an Evo 3D, and its still on Gingerbread 2.3.3 even with the newest update. Is there any way to get gchat with video working? Can I just install a gtalk.apk extracted from a miui.us or cm7 rom from an Evo4G? Android apps are designed to scale across different resolutions/pixel density, right?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I'm trying to fully port one of my Sprint numbers to Google Voice, cancelling that line of service. Unfortunately, probably because of Sprint/GV integration, porting is not an option when I click on Port My Number to Google Voice. I've made sure the number I'm trying to port isn't even one of my forwarding phone numbers.

I found a Contact Us form in the Number Portability FAQ help pages. How long does it take Google to get back to you when you contact them?

How does a company as big as Google not have a single customer service phone number?

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Umm, should I add it back as a home or work phone? If I flag it as mobile, Google seems to always know its a Sprint line. The only option it offers is to use the Sprint integration feature.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 29, 2011

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Evil Agita posted:

I have a $30 SERO contract. Will it work with a BlackBerry 8330 Curve without having to upgrade to the SERO premium?

I'm thinking it'll be fine but I just want to make sure. Thanks.

AFAIK, Blackberries on SERO always required a $10 fee for BIS. Besides that, even old WinMo get the $10 data fee when newly activated or reactivated.

All smartphones get the $10 on SERO, even phones like that eco-recycled Samsung Replenish android phone. You'll have to get a. Feature phone to avoid it.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 1, 2011

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
In an ideal world where a large domestic market didn't allow high margin American carriers to demand customized phones for their locked down CDMA networks, we'd see the international SAMSUNG GSII with nothing but the GSM/UMTS compatible SoC swapped for a CDMA compatible Exynos. Throw in a WiMax or LTE modem for Sprint and Verizon. As found in the Thunderbolt, Qualcomm already has dual CDMA/LTE chip support with a second CDMA modem for simultaneous voice and EvDO data.

But really its the size of these networks. Verizon and AT&T each have more subscribers than there are Germans or Brits. Can't place all the blame on Samsung for cranking out crap for $$$ thrown at them by carriers demanding cheaper (less to subsidize) plastic phones with no front facing cameras and Skype apps that route calls over the voice network.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Speaking of, can someone link to one of those video calls unlocked Skype.apk with support for the 3D and 4G.

EDIT: Sometimes finding things from your phone isn't too hard.
http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/4849-Skype-with-Video-Support-for-Various-Devices...?p=42265#post42265

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 1, 2011

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Medullah posted:

Are there any options for going from a 3rd party employee plan to SERO premium or something? I currently have a plan that I've had with Best Buy for 10 years, and I'm leaving the company next week...wondering if my only options are "Wait and see how long it takes for them to notice I don't work there anymore" or "Say screw it and go to a full price plan"

If that number is important to you, you should port it out while your account is still in good standing and your Sprint regional representative can release it if necessary. Maybe do like Duckman said and open a new Sprint retail plan with your 20% discount.

I had the same thing happen to me when I left Best Buy back in 2004. My Cingular employee plan was $20 with a small data allowance--lasted me from a SE T610 through a few Windows Mobile phones up to the Tilt. Then suddenly, it was shut off and all porting requests failed. Customer service was useless and the regional mananger refused to return my calls. I had that number for 4 or 5 years.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Somebody came in here asking about the $10 data fee recently, and I swear somebody reported that they're not, in fact, adding the fee on Everything plans when you ESN swap to older smartphones like WebOS and WinMo.

Did I imagine this? Maybe I read it in another thread because I can't find that post.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Interesting update on this: I downgraded to a 2.2 stock rom (every rom I had tried had been 2.3) and signed in with a different Google account and now my messages are working. I wish I hadn't done both of those things but now I know that one of them is the problem. I'm almost certain it's a problem with lovely Google Voice loving everything up.

The fact that changing your Google account fixes the SMS issue makes it sound like you didn't properly set Google Voice to forward texts. There's a setting in the Google Voice app for text message notifications. On the web, there a checkmark in the Phones tab, this phone receives text messages. I think there's another text setting in the next tab over--Voicemail and Forwarding or whatever it is.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint is now releasing Home Phone service for $19.99 a month for anyone who cares.
So in I can install a cellular radio in my basement in order to tie into my home phone wiring. And it can only pass numbers without names to the caller ID. And if I'm being raped, murdered, or just can't speak because I'm choking, it can't provide my exact address and apartment number to e911.

Hmmm, I know. I can leave a wired phone to my intact original house wiring and still have 911 access. Then I can use multiple portable phones tied to a single base station wired to the cell modem placed upstairs by a window. And because the cell radio has a battery back up...

In more important news, Clear has a coverage map app in the Market called Got Clear? Think they ran that by the dairy farmers lobby?

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 11, 2011

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Run an external antenna? Plus, home phones are usually wired as a bus, so if you had a free jack upstairs you could just setup shop there.

It's still free. Landline caller ID isn't.

Wait, seriously, how is this any worse than a regular landline? Regular cell phones have the disadvantage of being a mobile device. But if this is intended for a fixed installation, they can just database the service address like they do with every other landline.

Granted, the idea is kind of silly if you think of the technology part of it too deeply, and kind of not silly if you accept it as another transport mechanism for home telephone service, in addition to copper pair, cable, and fiber.
Not trying to be arguementative. Based on my past experience playing with external antennae on wifi basestations, I assumed pigtails, leads, and connectors were all pretty lossy and couldn't be used for long distances. the modem's antennae isn't wired directly to the motherboard.

Thanks for the info about the house phone wiring. If I were to get a VoIP service like Vonage, connecting it to a single upstairs jack will tie into the whole house's wiring?

Regarding e911, I doubt the address reporting laws for VoIP providers are applied to these home phone cell modems. I wouldn't trust my health and safety to a rough aGPS location passed to the 911 dispatcher. The physical (billing) address of cell phone subscribers can't be obtained without a court order, where as VoIP and landline addresses show up immediately.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

grvm posted:

So I occasionally wonder if sprints 3g coverage is poo poo everywhere or if scranton just gets forgotten about. Is sprint 3g spotty as hell/nonexistent everywhere else or is it just us?
Where in Scranton are you?

I live in the Hill Section and have great coverage. Its fine from Dunmore/Throop all the way south to south Wilkes-Barre. East and west side of the Lackawanna and Susquehanna Rivers are solidly 3G. Leave the thin stip along I-81 and it sucks. Clarks Summit and Dallas/Back Mountain should really have better coverage than they do. (The 2 wealthiest suburbs in the region)

EDIT: I didn't really answer your question. With 350k-500k people, the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre metro really is ignored by everyone but Verizon. Sprint's network in northeast and central PA used to belong to a third party called iPCS, who spent far more money in litigation against Sprint and Nextel than upgrading their network. Look at how dense the coverage is in the southeast and southwest corners of the state. We're far too close to the Poconos and the Boston-Washington corridor to feel as isolated as we are.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Yeah the north Valley, anywhere north of Olyphant, is almost entirely 1x. The only place in Dickson City you'll get 3G is the Sprint Store. All the rest of the Mall and Big Box stores are spotty--it makes using any shopping or price comparison apps very frustrating.

The manager at the Sprint store hinted that Network Vision should bring some improvement to the area. She acknowledged that iPCS had left some problems when Sprint bought them out last year, though she didn't clarify whether she was talking about the network infrastructure or the retail end she deals with.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 13, 2011

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Alman posted:

iDEN is literally the only reason Sprint reports subscriber losses every quarter
Surprised to hear that. I would have thought those who needed PTT walkie-talkie would be pretty loyal--as mentioned in the Engadget article.

Does anyone have any technical knowledge about Sprint's new EvDO PTT implementation? The previous Qualcomm QChat they tried a few years ago was slow and poor quality. It really seemed like it was recording your voice message in entirety and compressing it before it even tried connecting to data to delivery it.

My father-in-law is a Nextel iDEN user. Can I have an iDEN line/phone on my Sprint Everything share plan when all my other lines are CDMA smartphones?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

webcams for christ posted:

I've been using the HTC Touch Pro 2 for about 18 months, and it appears to have lost all touch screen functionality. :negative:

Since it was only covered by a 12 month warranty, I don't think it would be terribly cost-effective to have it repaired.

I'm on the $30/mo SERO plan right now, so what would be my best option for a used replacement phone?

I just need to get by for another 6 months and then I'll be eligible for an upgrade.

I'm worried that if I pick any old unlocked sprint phone, it somehow won't be compatible with SERO. Or am I just being paranoid?
I don't know why no one caught this yet, but Sprint will always repair or replace phones showing a defect not caused my misuse or abuse. As long as your phone isn't showing water or physical damage, they'll repair or replace it for $35. The fee is waived if you have TEP insurance on your line. Take it to a Sprint store with repair technicians.

So you're aware, even replacing your TP2 with another used TP2 will add the $10 fee to your line. A 4G capable phone will cost another $10 per month.

[EDIT]
Regarding that Samsung Within Galaxy S2, assuming they're measuring at the top and not the thicker bottom, 3mm thicker brings it to 11.49mm, or 0.45in. Its disappointing, but still thinner than the Evo and Evo3D.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 27, 2011

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
FYI--TEP is actually 2 plans of coverage combined with a $1 discount. Equipment Replacement Program is the insurance through Assurion that covers loss/theft, water and physical abuse/misuse with a $100 deductible. Equipment Service and Repair Program is the portion that waives the $35 fee to have a technician repair or replace your phone for a defect.

On my phones I carry only ERP for $5 monthly (previously $4). The times I've had to go in for service, I just feign ignorance when the tech asks, saying, "Yeah, I have the insurance." Haven't had to pay the $35, so I didn't even consider adding the full TEP during this month's open enrollment period.

Also, once the phones on my account reach the point a used replacement costs less than the $100 deductible, or I have a line with an upgrade available, I cancel TEP. You can reenroll when you upgrade.

EDIT: Forgot to mention you can enroll in TEP/ESRP after you have to pay for the $35 service fee out of pocket. TEP is $8 (+3 over just ERP) and ESRP is $4 by itself.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 16, 2011

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

td4guy posted:

It's specifically for claiming that material changes have been made to your contract, in an effort to get the ETF waived. You only encounter an ETF if you're leaving the carrier. You can't just magically jump from mid-contract to month-to-month.
Moral dubiousness aside, you can call in and tell them you plan to port out your numbers (which would cancel your line/contract) and would like the contract marked voided/cleared/fulfilled so that there's no Early Termination Fee when you do port.

Whether you plan on leaving that day or sometime later that year, there's no point in remaining in a contract the carrier sees fit to nullify by milking an extra $0.50 from each subscriber line. I don't care how tiny they print some continuation clause on a paper bill I don't receive.

Would it be unethical to accept a bill credit they may offer in the future to put you back into contract? Meh. I can justify it the same way they do--it benefits them when then report subscriber numbers to shareholders.

EDIT: Apparently, they changed other parts of the Terms and Conditions as well, including the method of legal arbitration for settling disputes.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Aug 20, 2011

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

brc64 posted:

I'm going to be getting a new car soon, and it's going to have all kinds of shiny bluetooth goodies for me to play with. This means that I now have incentive to get a car dock so that all I can more easily automate things like turning on bluetooth. At $60, the official dock is a bit steep... are there any other good ones for less that will actually trigger car mode on the phone? Most universal docks will hold the phone, but I'm also specifically looking for the car mode switch.
You can hack up a USB car charger wire to trigger dock mode, unless the HTC docks use magnets like some of the Motorola Droids. Then you can use any old cheap car mount and automate Bluetooth with something like Tasker.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

ExcessBLarg! posted:

As for the SGSII, it's not worth waiting for. The 3D is 90% of its featureset, basically just missing that awesome AMOLED+ screen. However, it simply won't be as good as the European unit as Samsung still can't make a CDMA radio worth a drat. For that reason, assuming they manage to both release it on time, and with relatively few bugs, I have little hope for a timely ICS upgrade either by Samsung or by CyanogenMod.

Even if I'm wrong, and the Sprint SGSII turns out to be stellar, I'd still rather give up AMOLED+ to hedge my bets on that and get a solid, well supported phone today.
I've heard you say this before, but aren't all Korean networks CDMA and WiBro/WiMax? Maybe Korean carriers made like Canada and NZ and replaced their CDMA with GSM/UMTS for international compatibility, but I can't imagine inexperience with CDMA is Samsung's issue.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

big mean giraffe posted:

As a former sense hater, sense 3 rules hard.
From what I've seen of my brother's 3D, it's much more attractive than Sense 2 on the Evo 4G. What's new in the feature set? My biggest complaint about Sense 2 would be the contact integration between Gmail/Facebook/chat clients.

What's the best Sense 3.x ROM for the 4G? My fiance has been complaining about AOSP/CM7 being too plain and saying, "it's missing...things." She and I both really liked MIUI, but battery and stability really dropped off after I installed the newest Sprint radio update. Is this a known issue?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Think of it this way:
ERP--covers poo poo that's your fault. Loss/theft, water, and physical damage for $5 per month with a $100 deductible. This is insurance underwritten by Assurion, not a warranty.
ESRP--covers poo poo that isn't your fault. This is an extended warranty that waives the $35 fee and lets you makes claims against defects directly through Sprint rather than the manufacturer.

By their powers combined, you have TEP for $8. That's right; an entire $1 discount!

I don't usually drop or lose my phone, but because it's a Moment, I go to the repair store way more often than every 9 months (and will continue to do so until they relent and give me something other than a Moment. gently caress if they think I'm going to buy another phone and pay another $10 a month). $4 for ESRP has gotten me, I dunno, 5-6 replacements.

My fiance is a klutz, but her Evo works flawlessly. No need for ESRP, as we only took it in once and they didn't even verify the coverage on the line. "Umm yeah, I have the insurance." $5 insurance for peace of mind.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

SpelledBackwards posted:

Consider donating them to charity instead. I donate my old phones to domestic abuse shelters (SafePlace is what I use in Austin, TX). Even without an active contract, all phones can still access 911 for emergency services.
I don't think giving a victim of domestic abuse a phone with a 5 hour battery life would be very helpful. Not unless she plans ahead.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I was in a Sprint store today for repair service, and I overheard the salespeople say Sprint was doing away with the 30 day money-back guarantee. Following Verizon's lead, it'll now be 15 day return/cancellation period and prorated charges for the length of service you use.

I really hope Sprint and the DOJ are successful in blocking the T-Mobile merger. gently caress the duopoly.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Matlock posted:

While I'm thinking of it, my phone's battery life has died off severely and likes to overheat frequently lately. I barely get 5 hours with very little use now.

I don't have TEP, it's still under warranty.

What's my options?
Buy a new OEM battery. They're not covered by ESRP.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Xtopher posted:

It's kind of hidden way down in the OP, but it says "PLEASE NOTE: SPRINT.COM NO LONGER WAIVES $36 AND $18 FEES."

I wish this wasn't the case, but I don't think there's any way to avoid it.
Order through telesales over the phone. It's *7 if dialing from a Sprint phone. Steven in the Phillipines was able to waive the upgrade fee without even asking for manager approval. The incentive to waive the new line activation fee should be even greater.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Mark Larson posted:

^^ I'm paying less for my T-Mobile plan, solely because of my corporate discount.

$50 got me SERO + $8 for TEP
$50 gets me Value 500 - 15% discount. I skipped the TEP/Insurance.
Not that you intended to be misleading, but your $7.50 monthly savings also sacrifices phone subsidies and still locks you into a 2 year contract. The amount that Sprint and other carriers subsidize is a bit more than $7.50; it's probably 2-3 times that.

T-Mobile's Value plans are a great deal (if you don't mind buying used phones or using their 0% phone financing). I'm still trying to convince the 3 other people on my discounted Sprint family plan to switch to a Value family share plan that'll save us ~$14 per line. More for my those who can get away with 200mb data.

We're looking at the $30 Nexus S 4G. I know there's been a few software updates (adding Swype) and maybe a baseband update. Have they solved the signal strength issue it originally had? No chance that it suffers the same GPS and filesystem lag issues from the Galaxy S?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Nuts and Gum posted:

I just added the Epic 4G to my cart, and since I'm still under contract I only get a $75 discount with another 2 year contract. Ok, fine, I can live with that. Wait, what's this, a $36 upgrade free? What the gently caress defines an upgrade? What if I was buying a shittier phone than my Evo 4g? I just tried adding the 'Sanyo Vero' to my cart and sure enough they want $36 for no reason. What a bullshit fee, has anyone ever had this waived?
Yes, I answered this on the last page or the page before. Call telesales *7 from a Sprint phone if you're upgrading. I had no issue getting Fake Anglicized Name in the Phillipines to waive the upgrade fee when it was $18. He didn't even need to put me on hold and ask for manager approval. This was about a month ago, so before they increased the fee to $36 but still after the no upgrade fee incentive was removed from Sprint.com web sales.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

jusion posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have a question:

Despite having my EVO for a year, while browsing the Sprint website, I saw that I'm eligible to sign up for Sprint Total Equipment Protection. A little while back I dropped my phone and I have a small crack on the one side of the screen. Does the TEP cover a cracked screen replacement? And if so, is coverage cancel-able at a later date?

The damage doesn't bother me much, and the phone is still very usable, but if I can get it replaced for $8-16 or whatever, I'm more than willing to jump on that train.
September is an open enrollment month, allowing you to add coverage to a device that you previously left uninsured. Unfortunately in your case, a drop resulting in a cracked screen is covered under the Assurion ERP portion of TEP. Replacement will cost you a $100 deductible. Normally you'd be better off getting a screen replacement from eBay, but I've heard the Evo screen is especially difficult to replace.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Also, continuing the discussion from the last page, Wikipedia says the CDMA Optimus One has 800 MHz support. Hopefully the "S" does too.
I'm pretty sure that's the standard American CDMA 800 band, like Verizon and other regional CDMA carriers use. It's not compatible with the 850mHz SMR band Sprint is planning to appropriate from Nextel.

Are the new SMR band phones CDMA tri-brand 800/850SMR/1900PCS? Have any Evo 3D users noticed their phone not roaming to Verizon where their previous Sprint phones would?

EDIT: Beaten by a mile! How did it take me 11 minutes to get that post added?

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 19, 2011

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Because you posted this in the Sprint thread; I thought this was about the HTC Evo Shift 4G--the phone. Turns out it's some odd duck micropc HTC Shift that originally ran Vista. I assume it's an x86 device? I didn't think ARM support was released in the Win8 Developer Preview.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

I just got a new job which will ultimately mean a bunch of traveling to small towns throughout the northeast, where Sprint isn't necessarily gonna cover. Have there been any recent contract changes that would let me get out of an ETF to hop over to Verizon? It'd only be $80 at this point, but still...
You're in luck. Check your most recent bill. There should be a notice about fee changes and a change to the Terms and Conditions effective Sept 9. They increased the admin. fee by $.50 per line and I think changed the method of settling disputes. Something about arbitration and class action suits. You have 30 days to cancel otherwise you agree to the changes. I don't know if that 30 days begins Sept 9 or the day you received the notice in your bill.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Official policy is to waive the $10 fee if the equipment change is as a result of a warranty or insurance replacement. Maybe that little FYI helps some of you legal eagles figure out the legitimacy of the smartphone fee.

Ultimately, it seems like a drawback of a CDMA network--no SIM cards. You can't swap devices without going through Sprint. Even if you do the ESN swap on the webpage, they can still present a splash page that forces you to agree to the fee as a condition of changing existing equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

big mean giraffe posted:

Wouldn't getting your phone insurance replaced still require you to activate a new ESN and therefore get the fee tacked on?

goku chewbacca posted:

Official policy is to waive the $10 fee if the equipment change is as a result of a warranty or insurance replacement.