Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mahoning posted:

This is actually pretty common. They probably won't cover it because it's cosmetic.

Correct, the TP2 is fairly prone to this oil-slick effect. Sprint kept calling it cosmetic. My dad has the phone now and apparently has never noticed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

diospadre posted:

If it says you get a 1 year upgrade in June and that's what you want what's the problem?

I think he's confused on one year upgrade. The Premier one-year full upgrade (ie the same discount as a new line on a two year contract) is going away in a few days. The normal one-year upgrade ($75 off and no rebates, which is pretty poo poo) is staying.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In that case, between that and the fact that you have 11 years with Sprint...your upgrades won't change at all. If you want the Premier one-year upgrade on your line, you'll need to get Sprint to switch which one is primary, and then wait for the next time that upgrade becomes eligible based on when it was used on the other line.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ozmodiar posted:

That's the weird part though -

Even before Premier I had my account make me eligible way before it was supposed to once, I think due to a warranty swap.

Either way, at this point I wouldn't expect anything better than some line getting to use the Premier one-year upgrade any sooner than one year after it was last used, so Feb 2012.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Chappy posted:

It's literally an M&P that went into effect today. It should be on RSP.

That's awesome.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You can merge accounts all day long but your upgrade dates shouldn't be affected at all.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
Wouldn't they get in trouble for not following Sprint's insurance policy? I mean, it's good for this guy, but it's hurting Sprint's bottom line.

Customer goodwill is worth a lot to a company sometimes, and I'd wager Retentions gets a lot of leeway on what they can sign off on versus the script-readers in other departments.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Alman posted:

It's really nice year-round, I actually took a picture a few months ago when we had a snowstorm and it was really cool looking too (I posted it in this thread too I think? it might have been the old one though)

Kansas City really is nice. My wife and I have friends out there, I try to get there about once a year or so, she's out more often than that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

With the integration between the two, there is no porting necessary - you add your Sprint number in and it asks if you want to use that number to replace your GV number. If yes, your old GV number will eventually cease to exist, and while Sprint will continue to hold on to your number, they've made a system change that allows them to direct all calls to that number to GV first.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

brc64 posted:

Does the S stand for "Suckers"?

The iPhone 4, Precious Roy Edition.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If the system shows your upgrade as available, it's fair game. They do this once in a while, I ended up with at least one more upgrade than I should've on my line a few years back that appeared to be the result of some phone swapping I did.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mtr posted:

Sprint's website states "NOW WITH ANDROID™ 2.3" for the Evo 4G.

I don't know whether this means new phones are shipping with it and that current phone users can expect an upgrade soon, or it's an error.

It's an error.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Goddamnit. Evo took a dive off of the nightstand and landed screen first. Shattered but still working, typing this on it even.

Got insurance and an upgrade that comes up 7/1. I was going to sit on it since I love my Evo but with this thrown in...how can I best turn a shattered screen but otherwise fine 4G into a launch day 3D for as little cash as possible?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Decided to just do the insurance claim online rather than waiting 1+ hours in store just to get told to call them. Based on the local CL I don't know about $300 but I can definitely beat the $100-$150 I'd be getting in trade-in.

Just making sure, Radio Shack / Amazon / etc still can't be used for EPRP preorders, correct? As it is I'd need to get Sprint to bump my upgrade date up a few weeks.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ShowTime posted:

How does a phone sold 8 years ago even work anymore? I thought, like, everything had changed so much that things we were using 8 years ago don't even work with current technology.

8 years ago now is 2003. There's certainly cellular devices from then that still work today - OnStar, as an example. Pre-'03 OnStar utilizes old analog service so it's completely non-functional, but as far as I know, there's no service-level reason an OnStar-equipped car from '03 can't work today.

Now as far as being able to keep a daily-carried cellular phone in workable condition that long? That's impressive.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

Yeah my ati card from 2008 or 07 has it. Very handy.

The cheap-rear end nVidia card in my HTPC does it too, actually. I didn't even realize it at first, I thought there was no way it would be passing audio over a DVI port, but sure as poo poo it does.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Interesting post at Sprintusers, apparently someone is claiming that the Samsung Replenish works on $30 SERO with no +$10 fees. Can anyone else confirm this? If so, I might finally be able to get my dad off of the TP2 I sold him. I know it's a drat Samsung and it's hardly a high-end device, but it would pretty much blow the pants off of any other phone he can put on that plan.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, and it gets him to a mobile OS that people actually develop for, instead of WinMo 6.5 or some hacked together version of Android that barely runs with some features working.

So I thought he would at least need to go to $40 SERO premium, and that the $10 being waived is what would take a normal SERO line to $50 for something like the Evo. Would both of those be waived for a Replenish on old $30 SERO?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Welp, not surprised. My dad is adamant about never adding a cent to his monthly bill, so he'll probably run that TP2 into the ground, only to dig his Centro out of storage.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Realistically it's not like he actually needs a new phone, but if there ever comes a day that either a) he can get an Android phone without paying more than his $30/mo, or b) decides he can afford $40-50 a month instead, I'll go light that thing on fire.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, you need to at least go to $40 SERO-P.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The $10 fee is on top of SERO-P. SERO-P just allows you the use of non-SERO approved devices (aka anything nicer than WinMo 6.5) but you still need to deal with the $10 premium fee.

$50/line for SERO-P + premium data is, essentially, letting single-line users get the same price you get with 4-5 people with EPRP + :10bux: fees splitting a family plan.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Aren't smartphones the non-sero devices? :confused:

It made more sense back before all smartphones got the :10bux: - you had $30 SERO for dumbphones / WinMo 6.5, $40 SERO-P for non-premium smartphones that actually do things, and $50 SERO-P plus Premium for the Evo and Epic.

Today, it pretty much means:

$30/mo: Cell phone retirement home
$40/mo: Replenish sits here all alone
$50/mo: If you buy anything that is not an Evo or a Nexus you are doing it wrong

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

RodShaft posted:

Damnit. I thought it was:

$30/mo: Cell phone retirement home maxing at TP2 (and the replenish for some reason)
$40/mo: Everything but Evo/Epic/Nexus
$50/mo: Evo/Epic/Nexus

This ruins my "get a midlevel Android device until they come out with a cellphone more powerful than my laptop in 8 months" plan.

That's how it used to be, prior to putting all smartphones into premium data

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mahoning posted:

I HAVE verified that indeed, the premium data add-on DOES NOT apply to SERO plans UNLESS its a 4G phone.

I know i said it already and people still seemed to not believe it but that's verified straight from Sprint's employee knowledge base.

Alright then, my bad, I got confused by the Replenish - I guess the $10 fee it saves doesn't apply in the first place to SERO folk.

Also, for the record - by adding a $4 car charger and a $4 micro HDMI cable, as well as a decent photo of the whole lot, I was able to sell my Evo refurb on CL (without even rooting it) for $300. So essentially I'll be able to get the Evo 3D upgrade for about $8 out of pocket.

A $71 hit in depreciation compared to when I bought it off-contract on eBay last year is not bad, not bad at all :)

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 18, 2011

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Godamnit. Used my backup Pre as an alarm clock, and managed to smack it off the same nightstand that killed my Evo in my barely-awake stupor. Screen cracked enough to break the digitizer. :suicide:

Really, REALLY want the Evo 3D now, assuming I can manage not to kill it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

a shameful boehner posted:

Gold premier members should be able to order the 3D online tonight at midnight, yes?

It's all Premier, not just Gold. Not sure about what time they actually open orders, do they do orders overnight or just during business hours?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So what's the best way to get my upgrade date bumped from 7/1 to 6/21? I tried chat and they wanted me to talk to retentions, but I'd like to try and do everything in one call if I have to call... and do they seriously do midnight orders? :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

You are listed as eligible for a full upgrade on July 1st? If so just PM me last name and cell #, I'll bump the upgrade to today.

You have a PM, thanks for being awesome like that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I can't get more satisfied than that. Thanks!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nope, now. Link just got posted on the Sprint community but it bitches about EPRP.

Link so you can all avoid the cesspool of the Sprint forum: http://www.sprint.com/ftbredbud29

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 21, 2011

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Looks like EPRP and SP private stores don't want to play nice with each other. :sigh:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

a shameful boehner posted:

Well, according to a rep a spoke with, "EPRP overrides the Sprint Premier Gold status eligibility for an upgrade that you have and you cannot exercise your upgrade for the EVO 3D until the 27th". I can't imagine why both wouldn't be applicable for a customer who's been with sprint for 10+ years and all I'm looking to do is give them $200+/2 year contract.

Awesome. If anyone's in the same boat as me (EPRP/Gold) looks like we're out of luck for at least another week, assuming that the 3D doesn't get sold out online in that time. :sigh:

I guess I may as well check a Sprint retail store on Friday.

Never trust a Sprint CSR, they fixed it in the past hour or so :) I'm checking out right now!

http://www.sprint.com/ftbredbud29

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm guessing the "fix" had the side effect of removing the Premier requirement. 3DEEZNUTS for everyone!

Edit: Countdown until a congressperson gets busted for sending 3D pics of their junk to married women

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Mine says the order is not valid now :( Sprint what did you do?!

Mine too. Nice to hear that there are shipping confirmations already, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Just got my 3deez tracking number. Must be some delays internally in Sprint since it looks like UPS has had it for ~3h now. Should have it in my hands within 24 hours, sweet!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Heh...the temperature on the weather lockscreen doesn't move over if it's over 100 degrees out. Last night it was claiming that it was 04 degrees outside :v:

Loving this thing so far. Wouldn't have thought that it would feel this much faster than the 4G.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I installed Google Voice and have gotten force-closes on the MMS service twice. Hmm.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Turnquiet posted:

Looks like if the phone can use Nextel's old bands for 3G, they haven't been enabled yet. Same crap speed for Phoenix and its suburbs.

I have to say I've never noticed terribad speeds except in places I get poo poo signal, and this is across a combination of downtown Tempe, east Phoenix, and far east Mesa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What kind of policies does Sprint have for people who have constant repair issues with a phone that aren't due to massive damage / drops / water damage? My mother-in-law takes her Pre into Sprint regularly for issues with being able to answer calls (sounds like a digitizer issue to me) but they're never able to fix it for long for some reason. An insurance claim makes no sense since you can get a used Pre for under $100 these days.