Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

teamdest posted:

Not to intrude on your PRL-hacking discussion and whatnot, but I'm kind of wondering about the data cap on Sprint. after 5GB on 3G is additional data throttled, or charged extra, or shut off, or something else entirely?

If you repeatedly use a large amount of data they send you a letter asking you to use less otherwise they will terminate your contact. This is fairly rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

WTFBEES posted:

I need a phone I can use internationally for the next few months. Based on this page it doesn't look like I have a lot of choices. Any thoughts on which of these are best?

Also, I'm still on classic SERO. I know I'll have to upgrade to SERO Premium to use anything other than my poo poo Mogul, but is there anything else I need to do to be covered internationally?

Call 1-888-226-7212 and select option 2. Thats sprints international customer support. They specialize in international travel and will be able to give the best answers to any of your questions.

Giblet fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 12, 2012

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

StickFigs posted:

I'm trying to sell this Sprint phone I got on eBay and everyone keeps asking me if it has a clean ESN. How do I find out? Do I send them some sort of code off my phone so they can check for themselves? Is it safe to send them this information?

Just see if sprint can swap it onto your line. Then swap it back off. No need to turn it on or activate it during the process.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

goku chewbacca posted:

Ugh. My sister just got the Black Friday free after $50 rebate Nexus S. Is there anyway to get a third party store to return a phone sans restocking fee? Signal issues?

You will have to speak to a manager at the store. This is also assuming you purchased it from that store

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Lblitzer posted:

I haven't really used Sprint since May because my account was delinquent from not paying it, so they suspended my account. It was sent to collections and I was told to pay $800 for the remaining bill.

I randomly checked to see if my account was still on the site because I'm planning on paying that off asap and it says I owe $1100 now, with the last payments being from "Shared plan" from the two numbers on the plan, $170 and $50 respectively and then the typical service charges and tax.

The last payment I had made was back at the beginning of May, and service being disconnected not too far into the month. I did get a late payment in July, but not in June. Just curious what sort of leeway their finance services has.

I'm more baffled as to why the account hasn't been cleared and the debt collection service ISN'T calling me anymore.

Did you pay the $800

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Lblitzer posted:

No, I had made one payment to the debt collector back in September for much less than what I owe.

OK so that settles the collections dispute but does not make your sprint account paid in full. They just won't come after you for the remaining balance. To use sprint again you would have to pay off the remainder of what is still owed to them.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

thisdude23 posted:

I asked this in another thread but I'm sure no one saw it (blew it off) but is Sprint going to get the GNex? This is the phone I'm holding out hope for and I blew off the E3D yesterday for it. :(

Noone knows officially

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Backno posted:

Also if I buy through something like Amazon can I add my employee discount afterwards?

I think to take advantage of the no activation fees thing at least the first line should be set up by corporate.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Valithan posted:

gently caress. I just dropped my evo and it blew apart; after 13 months of ownership the first time I drop the phone it blows apart. I put it back together and it's working fine, however the case in the upper corner near the headphone jacked is hosed and the case won't close completely. I can't really afford to buy a new phone: has anyone had any success wheeling deals out of sprint customer service as far as waving the contract cancellation fee if you're going to sign for a new contract anyway? I'm on the EPRP plan so I'm paying ~$70 a month for unlimited data, I think I may downgrade to a regular old phone that I'm not afraid of dropping. Anyone have any experience?

Not really sure on the answer your specific question, but you can buy a replacement housing for around 40 bucks.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey
It is possible to move a line purchased on amazon and then get it to eprp but it would involve working for sprint between the two events.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey
It must have been some 3rd party store doing something. I've never in my time as a customer and as an employee seen a sprint promotion for upgrading early (other than primier). I've seen forced upgrades because someone's device was so old it no longer functioned with the current network technology.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Duckman2008 posted:

Its a glitch, it will always error out in the end. Sero is completely removed from sprints systems far as I know, so like other grandfathered plans there is no way to create the account, even if its someone who accidentally lost the plan.

There is only one way to get onto sero and that is to be on an account for employees and their family (SWAC) and then move off it. Sero is technically the "Severing Employee Retention Offer"

https://www.sprint.com/webconversionform/index.html

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

UndergroundHero posted:

I hope someone may have a response for me before I fly off the handle.

Last year in May my Blackberry Curve bit the dust and I was in a panic, went to the Sprint store to purchase a replacement, which was a Samsung Transform, and added TEP to my plan.

I noticed after two months or so I was having slow down issues, unresponsiveness, random restarts and shut offs, and worse, it's corrupted 2 memory cards.

At the Sprint store all they did was hard reset it and sent me on my way and I'm not due for an upgrade until 2013.

Am I going to be stuck hard resetting this thing until then, or is it possible using my TEP to get a replacement phone?

TEP has a deductible of 100 to make a claim with insurance company directly. Just go back into the store and see if they might exchange it.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

UndergroundHero posted:

Would that work if I wanted to get a different model of phone? Of course I'd be willing to pay any difference.

You would need that phone exchanged 3 times in 6 months. No option to pay the difference.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Duckman2008 posted:

you need to get out of that phone. Sprint reps can order you a different model replacement at their discretion, I personally always do for Transform owners out of pure pity. Show up every day at the store until they get you a different phone.

Wouldn't it be a well exception? If so most reps will not.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

hairydistraction posted:

I have Sero Premium and tried to get an iPhone 4S from a corporate store, but they couldn't get it on my account correctly after several attempts. Has anyone had luck with that? Previously I've had to call the sero number for upgrades.

The store would have to call employee care.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

The Entire Universe posted:

Wow, more like the worst salesguy in existence. "You're looking for that? gently caress that, it's poo poo. What you want is this other thing that isn't anything like what you're looking for and has nothing special above the basics you want in a phone. You should get it for that reason."

Some sales people only know how to sell one thing moderately well. It's one thing to make a recommendation based on qualitative questions but you should never talk down about a product.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Wait why did he have to pay anything? It was still under manufacturer's warranty and that sounds like a problem with the device.

Sprint has always just ate the cost when they did work under the manufacturers warranty. They have decided to no longer to eat that full cost and you can now either contact the manufacturer or pay sprint.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
This is true, but I like being indoors and non-stationary while using data. I don't think location is going to improve building penetration any.

I go to school in one of the largest concrete buildings in the world. Our lecture centers are underground. I still get 4G everywhere on campus including the lecture centers and subterranean utility road.

Location can mean everything in terms of reception.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Skeezy posted:

So I took it in to the store today and when the repair lady plugged it in to check the charge, it worked just fine. Looks like it's my charger being finicky or something and not the port itself?
Micro and mini usb ports have small pieces that provide pressure to the port to create a solid connection. The beauty of micro usb is that piece is on the cable tip and not in the phones port. This means that the cables may eventually need replacing.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Lowen SoDium posted:

I just realized something. If the rumor about the HTC One X on Sprint are true, it's going to be called the HTc EVO One. That means that every major new phone on Sprint for 3 years run has been called EVO and has had a lower number than the previous year.

EVO 4G
EVO 3D
EVO One

The galaxy S and SII were major new phones.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

ddogflex posted:

What in the gently caress is wrong with Sprint? "Hey, let's take the best looking phone to come out since the iPhone 4 and ruin it." Jesus Christ.

Also, I'm getting so loving sick of Sprint in Portland. This poo poo is ridiculous. EVDO is not usable. I basically don't have mobile internet. 1kB/s speed test this morning. 1kB/s. Sometimes I get like 50! :( When I call or email, they won't admit there is a problem. It driving me nuts.

I find 1kB/s hard to believe. Screen shot?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey
Ptrexitus is correct with the normal process of a cancellation. It pretty much always goes through the end of the billing cycle. The rep may have been smart enough to utilize the dummy esn tool to swap an esn with no phone attached onto the account.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey
I just hope Sprint doesn't push back the launch of the Galaxy S 3 on their network since they will be launching the Galaxy Nexus.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The international S3 hasn't even been revealed yet. It would be months before the Sprint version would be released, if there even is a Sprint version.

The assumed justification for pushing back the announcement date was to shorten the time between announcement and release. It's also been assumed that due to the overall international success of the galaxy line that Samsung would be launching the phone simultaneously in multiple markets.

With the announcement set to be made on May 3rd its quite conceivable that the GS3 will be for sale in the US before Sprint even launches the Galaxy Nexus. I worry that Sprint may skip the initial offering to let the Nexus hold the spotlight for a little longer.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

tijag posted:

Since Sprint is launching the Galaxy Nexus on 4/22, I find your scenario highly unlikely.

You are correct, I thought I had seen 5/22 but I was mistaken. Even so I dont know if they would be willing to do Galaxy Nexus late April, EVO LTE in June, and the GS3 either sandwiched between or a few weeks after the EVO.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey
I'm kind of confused over the number of people jumping on the galaxy nexus bandwagon with the S3 announcement so close. I'm not saying it will hands down be a better phone, but it is probably worth seeing before making a decision.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

FogHelmut posted:

The Evo 4G LTE is shipping Thursday.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a car mount? Most of them have terribly large claspers or whatever that press buttons and block ports, and are overpriced for the cheap plastic they're made of. Windshield mounts make people want to break into your car, and block your field of view. I'm terrified that dash friction mounts will come loose in a turn and send my phone out the window. Cupholder mounts put the phone in a stupid location. I just haven't seen anything reasonable.

I'm sure someone will make a mount specific to it.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

FogHelmut posted:

That could literally take years. Outside of protector cases, device-specific accessories for Android devices are slow to come to market.

Currently, I have a SoundGate M2 for my original Evo 4G, which doesn't seem to be made anymore. This was a great solution in 2010 because no one had made a specific mount for the Evo yet. As someone recommended on these forums, I bought one of these snap in cases and glued the attachment disk for the mount to it. It worked well enough, but I can't seem to find a similar style case for the Evo 4G LTE. This just snaps in and out real easy, so it is ideal. A full case with the attachment disk is too cumbersome to pop in and out of, and I don't want to carry something that bulky around.

tl;dr - I have specific needs and I want manufacturers to create something specific for me, and to do it now, and sell it cheaply.

I guess I'm spoiled with Samsung putting out car docks for most of their top end phones. HTC made one for the first EVO so one would hope that they make one for this phone too.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Mr Pepper posted:

The wife and I have a family plan and we are going to finally upgrade to smartphones. My upgrade comes in 2 days and the wife's comes in 32 days. If I upgrade in 2 days and sign a new 2 year contract to get the discount on the new evo phone, will it screw her out of her upgrade or will she also get a discount at the same time or am I better off waiting the 32 days for both of us?

Contracts are by line not by account. When you upgrade your line never has any impact on when she can upgrade hers. The only time someone getting a new phone screws someone else out of an upgrade is if you intentionally use theirs when you aren't eligible.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Medullah posted:

I would in a heartbeat, but anytime I've bought a new one, I can't get it activated online, I'd always have to have my in-store Sprint rep do it. Now that I don't have that option, I think when I finally get a new phone I won't be able to activate it.

All you have to do is call sprint from any other phone. There is support specifically for these special plans.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey
I'll be pre-ordering a GS3 tonight. I had the GS and am using a GS2 now and am still very satisfied. I just hope they didn't remove the feature to change the brightness by slowly swiping the notification area left or right.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

blargle posted:

I noticed the Sprint Galaxy S3 has LTE 1900, while the Verizon version has the better LTE 750. I had thought Sprint was getting a chunk of the low frequency spectrum? Or is it just the S3 that won't be able to use it? This seems to imply you won't be able to roam on LTE.

Sprint has had a chunk of low frequency for a long time. It's currently in use by iden (nextel) devices and I believe some new cdma devices. I wouldn't expect to see any lte device on those bands until late next year.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey
Is it possible for us to let this debate die? I'm happy people have found a phone that they like better than another phone.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

But I still don't know which phone is better. :ohdear:

Gonna have to go to a store and try both the Nexus and EVO I guess. I am more concerned with future proofing than anything, and though I was set on the Nexus the slower processor speed is beginning to bother me.

If your comparing the top end phones at least wait for the GS3 to hit stores for a chance to play with it.
Really though you will probably be really happy with whichever you choose. The majority of what you do will be the same experience on both.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't know if BB pushed them all back, but Sprint only delayed the 32gb. I already have a tracking number for my 16 gb SGS3.

Same, my 16gb is close enough now that I might get it tomorrow even though the tracking says 2 day shipping.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Vykk.Draygo posted:

There appear to be no toggles whatsoever for LTE on the SGS3. Is this an always-on situation and is this going to murder my battery?

Settings > More settings > Mobile networks

Playing with my gsm3 and I'm slightly upset that some apps I user all the time are not available on ICS. I can't even get the Samsung remote app for my tv. You would figure the leading android handset manufacturer would at least update their own apps.

Giblet fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 22, 2012

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey
Quote is not edit

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Is the EPRP plan online only, or can you go in-store to shop for a phone?

A corporate store should be able to help you out. They will likely have to call sales support to swap the phone though. Not sure about a 3rd party store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah get the Galaxy Nexus, Evo LTE or iPhone 4S, they are all $199. You can also get the galaxy S3 but I don't recommend Samsung personally. Order online or go to a corporate store to get whichever phone.

I would say he should at least take a look at the galaxy s3. I have yet to find any reason to not buy this phone so far.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Is SERO the same thing as SWAC, or did SERO become SWAC?

Swac is a plan for current employees families and friends. Sero is the "severing employee retention offer". Swac accounts have Sero as an option if the employee quits and they have to change.

Giblet fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 24, 2012