Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Jensen posted:

The funny thing about the Samsung GPS issue is that you always get all these people, in this thread and others on the internet, claiming that their GPS is fine and everyone else must just have a defective unit.

I think part of the problem is that it does work at points, but it's always flaky as poo poo taken as a whole. That and I think some people just have really low expectations of how a phone GPS should work.

The GPS issues on the Samsung phones are a combination of hardware and software problems. Some units work fine while others are terrible; however, if you install a custom ROM with a better-working modem the GPS will improve, assuming your GPS chip isn't busted. I had a poor GPS experience with my Captivate until I flashed CM7 with the JK4 modem, and now it just works with little or no issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

TVs Ian posted:

That deal expires on the 15th, so you may want to decide quickly.

It's being replaced with a bogo deal on the HTC One (and there's a red one coming). They'ok also be doing buy an S3/S4/Note 2 and get $200 off the Galaxy Tab 2, if you were thinking about a tablet.

Does the bogo on the GS3 also end on the 15th?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

TVs Ian posted:

From what I've seen, yes.

OK, good to know. Thanks.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Sprint in the Kansas City area is the bomb dot com. There are obvious reasons for this.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

rock2much posted:

I just applied the update and now my phone is in a boot loop. Any suggestions?

Yes, take it to the nearest Sprint store and tell them your phone is broken.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Vykk.Draygo posted:

But think of how much time you would have saved by driving twenty miles to the nearest Sprint store and hoping that somebody there would do exactly what you did instead of ordering a new one and making you wait three days.

Ticket closed, user searched Google instead

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Do I need to get a new SIM card from sprint?
Yes.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Why does Corporation do Thing?

EdEddnEddy posted:

I am assuming it is because they want more money.

Took an awful lot of words to get you here.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Jelly Omelettle posted:

I'm looking into upgrading my phone and was wondering if there's any significant differences between the Galaxy S 4 and 5? Is 5 much better the the 4? There didn't seem to be a whole lot of difference other then size.

In terms of user experience it's probably about the same. Hardware-wise aside from the CPU/GPU bump the S5 has a dual-LED camera flash (like the iPhone 5S) so if you're a huge nerd about pictures that might be something to consider. Also there's a fingerprint scanner if you like that gimmick.

Have you considered other options or are you pretty much set on a Galaxy phone? There will be new releases from Apple (bigger screen iPhone 6) and Motorola (Moto X+1) in a couple weeks so keep an eye on that unless you are in desperate need of an upgrade right this second.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

iluvpr0n posted:

Interesting. I'd used GV for years with my regular Sprint number, but finally ditched it several months back when I discovered that's why I was never able to send/receive emojis to iPhone people through any SMS app on my Android phone. Yeah, that's a pretty stupid, unimportant reason, but I text poop emojis a lot more than I get voicemails, so it was worth switching out and sticking with stock voicemail. I wonder if that will fix this issue now?

You know you can use GV for voicemail without using it as your texting number, right?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Vykk.Draygo posted:

the new Moto X was definitely certainly 100% coming to Sprint until it didn't.

Yep. The Sprint variant even passed through FCC certification before it was canceled because lolsprint

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

I said come in! posted:

Unless I can find some way to get my Moto X to work with the new OS.

There are plenty of ways. You can already do most of the integration stuff, just not as easily as Yosemite lets you.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Ouija posted:

Initial fuckup include an inability to connect to WPA2 wifi - I have 13 days to return it.

Today is a good day to return it. Carpe diem!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Biodome posted:

All of the carriers now have those European style plans.

Whether or not people know about them or actually want to use them is a different story.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Grumpwagon posted:

I'm sure the reason they didn't get the 2014 is because Moto didn't want to make it tri-band, not because Sprint just decided not to carry it.

The thing is, Moto had a tri-band CDMA/LTE version of the 2014 model that everyone thought was for Sprint. It passed FCC cert and was seemingly going on sale and then Sprint announced via twitter that they wouldn't sell it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

PBCrunch posted:

The 4G service on my old Galaxy Nexus was atrocious. The 4G service is incredible in comparison. The phone can make a lot of difference.

The Galaxy Nexus used WiMax for its 4G. Newer phones use LTE. So it's a combination of the phone and the network type!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

amenenema posted:

Uhhhhhhhh no?

Uhhhh yeah okay fine

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

thisdude23 posted:

What are the best non-spark phones? I like using data while I talk on the phone (actually comes in very handy) and I travel distances to work so I don't want to lose this.

2013 Moto X

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

e.pilot posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised carriers haven't just moved everything to a purely IP based system at this point and just give you data.

Seems like that's the way things will go once the legacy networks are shut down in favor of all LTE all the time.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

boxen posted:

I moved from Sprint to T-mobile about a month ago. Sprint sent my my normal monthly bill a day or so after that, with a due date of the 1st of the month, also normal. I didn't pay it, because I thought I cancelled all my accounts, and when I got a payment reminder at the end of August I called customer finance to get my account cancelled, but the rep couldn't access my account (I couldn't remember my PIN, and my security question answer didn't work for some reason). I tried to update both the PIN and the question on my online sprint account, but all it would give me was errors.

Today, I get a notice saying if I don't pay in the next seven days, I'm being sent to collections. If I try to log into Sprint, I just get an error saying my account info needs to be updated and I can't get any further. I don't know if I have my account number written down anywhere, and I'll need to find that if I call in again, but I run up against the problem I had before of not knowing my PIN or being able to answer the security question.

I haven't stopped in to a Sprint store since I figured it wouldn't be much use, and I haven't called T-mobile and tried to work it through them.

Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

Did you look at the bill to determine the service period for which they were charging you? It's very likely that the final bill was for the time before you cancelled.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Kreeblah posted:

Well, that'll be neat for another couple days or so until the EMV liability shift kicks in.

This doesn't actually mean what you think it means.

The liability shift just sticks the merchant with the bill if someone swipes a chip-enabled card for fraudulent purposes.

It doesn't require anyone to buy a new card reader.

It doesn't mean that the existing card readers will magically stop working.

All (or most) of the new EMV compliant card readers will still support magnetic swipe cards.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Kreeblah posted:

I know exactly what it means, but we're already seeing EMV cards be more commonly issued, and as soon as merchants (who are still generally unaware of the change) start getting stuck with fraud liability, I expect we'll be seeing a lot more EMV-capable readers around. And if you try to do a magnetic stripe transaction with an EMV-capable reader and an EMV-capable card, it'll tell you to use the EMV slot, meaning that things that try to clone your magnetic stripe data aren't going to work on those. This is the same reason why products like Coin are going to have more and more issues as time goes on.

Can Samsung Pay fool the card swipe reader into thinking that it's not using an EMV token?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I'm pretty close to broke right now, just started a new job yesterday after almost 6 weeks not working (shortly after returning from a 3-week trip overseas). If I can get it cheap or free (can I?) it would help a lot.

No, it will not be cheap and no, it will not be free.

For what it's worth, you can do a payment plan on a 6P or 5X when you order one and sign up for Fi.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

otter posted:

Anyone know at what point sprint decides that you are a data hog and pushes you off the unlimited plan? I'm regularly at about 18-20/mo but might use more with baseball playoffs and then football and basketball underway.

23 gigabytes is now the point where they start throttling you if they feel like it.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/protecting-the-97.htm

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

otter posted:

I read that as such that if I upgrade I get pushed into that or if I didn't already have unlimited and signed up for it. So since I switched to sprint in February I should be good?

Yeah I think you're right.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Darkpriest667 posted:

I'm dropping them for Google Fi. I've been with Sprint 15 years. Their cell coverage has been fine, but their data speed and coverage has been poo poo and I am tired of it.

Google Fi uses Sprint's network :ssh:

(and T-Mobile's)

(What I'm saying is you may not see much of an improvement)

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Imaginos posted:

Looks like Sprint has a preview of the Black Friday deals on their site.
I am still on SERO and was hoping to get an S6 out of it at least to replace my S4. And yes, I am eligible for an upgrade right now. Just wanted to see if there was a sweeter deal before I pull the trigger.
I know the S7 can't be far. Hold out longer?

S7 will be out in March, probably.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=12286

They're doing the same "optimization" thing that T-mobile already does. I don't see an indication that they'll offer an option to pay more to turn this feature off. It would apply to all streaming video, gaming, and music.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Update on that "optimization" thing and paying more to turn it off:

https://support.sprint.com/support/article/Sprint-Launches-Unlimited-Freedom/0db2c4e7-3a6a-4d46-9dff-84cd6c402527

quote:

Are there any special offers available with the Unlimited Freedom plan?

Yes. Sign up for the Unlimited Freedom plan now, and you’ll enjoy premium resolution streaming video, gaming and music for FREE as a special benefit through 10/31/16. Afterwards, you can choose to keep premium resolution streaming for an additional monthly charge or receive mobile-optimized streaming services.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

EdEddnEddy posted:

Also looking closer at the writing, it does seem the new "Unlimited Data" plans do have the special "Optimized" Video and other media bits cooked into the details for that plan Specifically.

So That gives the SERO plans a leg up as long as you hold onto it over the new plans.

I wonder if we will ever get to a time where all the carriers will just have near unlimited data/bandwidth and not have to deal with this throttling/optimization BS down the line.

Hell if anything, just cap LTE Speeds at something that makes sense like 20Mbit or so for every device and be done with it. I hate how they market as the "Fastest LTE Carrier!" that you sure can get 60-100Mbit 4G in that one spot of town where you have access to 3 towers simultaneously so you can cap out your 4G Data Cap for the month in 10 seconds. What the hell is the point?

For cellular network management, throttlingoptimization makes more sense than arbitrary data caps given that spectrum bandwidth is a finite resource. In my opinion it shouldn't be implemented across the board; rather, applying optimization to cell sites based on current load would be a more consumer-friendly way to manage the network. Sprint and others already apply this sort of prioritization to unlimited data users once they exceed an arbitrary data cap (23 gigs or so?), so it's not like it's a new concept.

nimper fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 22, 2016

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Revitalized posted:

Is Sprint Spark still a thing? Like if I get a Note 7, can I still not call and use data at the same time?

It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's annoying as poo poo.

They just need to enable VoLTE already. Maybe next year!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

SalTheBard posted:

Do I still need to worry about CDMA and GMA or is that a thing of the past?

All Pixel models sold by Google are CDMA compatible and can be activated on Sprint.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
I tend not to trust anything that store reps say because they're just looking for a way to get their commission.

Seems to me that your best bet is to call employee support and beg them to put her back on. At the very least she could get on the $60 unlimited freedom plan even though she'd have to suffer through optimized video streaming (but it sounds like that isn't an issue anyway given her low usage).

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

e.pilot posted:

I was able to activate my 7+ on an employee plan no problem via the web chat a couple of weeks ago.

Right but was that SERO 500?

Real answer is to call and act like you will terminate service, then see if the retentions department can activate it for you. Either Sprint wants your business or it doesn't; let them figure out how badly.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Grumpwagon posted:

Is there a better way to report connectivity issues than to just wait in line and talk to a random CS rep? Over the last couple of months, my phone never rings for calls at work. Everywhere else it's fine, so it's probably an overloaded tower?

Sprint Zone app, if you have it

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Duckman2008 posted:

You are being paranoid, but if you want to call customer care to remove it go for it.

I would be more paranoid about customer care loving something up.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

zer0spunk posted:

My contract has been up for a while and I'm on an S6.

So basically there's no way to continue using the same plan I've been using?

What plan do you have?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Honestly, now is a good time to shop around. Sprint has some good deals but they're not available to existing customers (surprise, surprise).

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
T-mobile's $70 unlimited plan is actually $70 because the taxes and fees are included.

Sprint's $65 unlimited plan would end up closer to $80, but you can subtract $5 if you have an auto-pay discount and another $5 if you have AAA or some other employer discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Krime posted:

So... from what I'm reading not even SERO lines can get a 2 year contract with a subsidised phone?

All lease?

If thats the case its the end of me and Sprint... after 15 years.

Where are you going to get a subsidized phone now?