Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I currently have a TP2 on the SERO $30 plan. My phone is starting to die...is there something like a TP3 I should get, or is this the end of the line?

Should I just wait for the iphone...how much would that add to my plan(10+10?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
If they grandfather you into the discount then it's not a change...if they don't then it absolutly is.

I'm always surprised that they don't just make a change going forward. To retroactivly change your contract like that seems like it shouldn't even be possible without redress, otherwise what's to stop them from just saying that your plan now has a $25 gently caress you fee, the monthly rate is doubled, and the ETF is now $1,000.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Does the upgrade only give you $150 off, or is there a way to get more? I remember that you used to be able to call and get additional credits for reupping making a phone cost the same as if you were a new customer.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Q_res posted:

I've had mine for over 6 months, never used a screen protector, and I'm fairly careless as far as what I put it in my pocket with. Not a single scratch so far, I even accidentally dropped it once or twice. The screen is sturdy as hell, I can't imagine what you'd have to do to it to scratch it.

Well there are scrathces like huge cracks, and then there are scratches that can only be seen with a pen light at an angle. I'm guessing people are using different definitions depending on the level of analness.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Russian Bear posted:

I've got an EVO 4g(the original lol) on the new SERO plan. I don't use the 4g ever because local area is awful, so are there any Android phones that don't have the 4g data surcharge?

They told me it's not a 4g charge...it's a smart phone charge.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Harmburger posted:

gently caress. Thanks. (Anyone with SERO or EPRP need another line?)

How long is your contract?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Why wife is going from my old mogul to an Iphone5...she might actually be impressed at the upgrade.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Anonomono posted:

Sprint keeps sending me alien messages.

It's a message from Moriarty obviously.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Hahaha, I wish I had your speeds. I'm at like half that.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
If they are willing to eat the ETFs, I can see them doing this.

VVVV If you are worried about cancelling the SERO before they change your account to avoid the ETF, there is NO way you would be hit with an ETF for cancelling if they move you in middle of an existing contract.

LorneReams fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 15, 2013

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Robo Kitty posted:

I think I missed something here. Does the new wording in the contract indicate they are canceling SERO and will be moving everyone to higher rate plans? Or just that they now reserve the right to do so such that they no longer give us a way to cancel without getting billed for ETF? :ohdear:

quote:

If you lose your eligibility for a particular rate plan or if a particular rate plan is no longer supported or available, we may change your rate plan to one for which you qualify.

I personally think they are adding this in as a CYA. There is no way they would get away with changing your plan mid-contract and expect the contract to still be valid.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yeah, if they push too far, the whole contract become unenforceable and they get into a world of poo poo. Also, there is no way they would win in either a civil lawsuit or in arbitration. In fact, they would never let it get that far, and have caved for much less. I am almost 100% sure this is to limit their liability so you can't sue when they don't allow you to continue your plan after the end of the contract (loss productivity, poo poo like that). Hell, this change might not even be enough to stop a class action anyway, but I can see the reasoning.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

The Entire Universe posted:

It wasn't an edit, they put in an entire new section effectively asserting the right to trample all over the FDCPA on the basis that you "consented" in the contract to being contacted at Sprint's convenience using any contact method they have on hand and deem fit.

Funny, Chrysler Financial thought the same thing up until the $4000 judgment I won against them.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

lol how the gently caress did this sell for $700? That's above full retail. Nice work.

It's a new ebay memeber! Prepare to ship to Nigeria for a $2000 check. Please return the extra with the item!

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Mahoning posted:

Have any SERO folks managed to upgrade their phones recently anywhere besides a corporate Sprint store? Just curious.

I did mine at an apple store, but I was paranoid so I called first.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

ninmeister posted:

Actually, let me correct myself. Sprint changed it to 20 months. So hey, 2 months better.

Is that retroed? I bought my phone in Jan 2012, and it says my upgrade is ready on Nov 1st, which would be exactly 22 months. Can I call and get that reduced?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

WoG posted:

Not retroactive, but that change happened on 10/2/2011, so something doesn't add up.

I'm going to call...Sprint clearly says 11/1/13 for upgrade, and I can see the email on Jan 2012 with shipping status...I did have to upgrade my SERO to the premium SERO version, could that have done something?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

dundun posted:

Any non-4g/LTE phone qualifies for the 40 dollar plan still. I was using a Kyocera Echo up until November 2012 when I realized bumping up to the $50 dollar Sero was totally worth it for the note 2.

Not the Iphone 4s though!

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

td4guy posted:

EbolaIvory is right.

Remember that because you have a SERO plan, you're not able to order subsidized phones through third party stores like Amazon. So don't even try.

Ordering through Sprint.com shouldn't screw up your plan. And if anything gets messed up, the operators on the Employee Care line are very good at what they do and can easily fix anything. You'll probably have to call in to activate your phone anyway.

Yeah, I just grabbed an Iphone 5s off of the Sprint site, and it kept telling me that I wouldn't be able to acitvate unless I changed my plan, but when I grabed the Iphone 4S 2 years ago, it said the exact same thing and all it took was a phone call to get it up and running. I'm assuming this will be the same. If not, I'll just flip the 5S and keept the 4S because I really dont give a poo poo.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

OssiansFolly posted:

Apple = Visual Masturbation

The product and its display look pretty, but I like to have control over what I can do with and on my devices.

I used to be that way, but then the list of things I wanted to do to my phone vs the list of thing I couldn't do narrowed greatly over time. gently caress, I spent hundreds of hours loving with my Mogul...I don't think I'll ever do that again.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I feel lucky. At home, Sprint LTE is faster then my Wifi connection.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

CrashCat posted:

Surprise surprise, I got a postcard that my rebate on the Nexus 5 preorder was denied. In-loving-credible. Both of the invalid conditions on here are valid, and both should be handled by their stupid loving web page in the first place. I had to get the 2 year contract to get the upgrade discount, and their webpage still says today that there's a $50 rebate for the Nexus 5, so I know the device is correct.

I don't even really care about the loving thing but at least give it to me for taking the time to fill out the dumb form you hotlinked so lazily on your own drat web page and took off the "price" in the cart. Sent an email on their dumb web form, I want to see what kind of lovely canned response I get from the first tier before I go yelling at someone undeservedly on the phone.

If you paid with a credit card, I would escalate with them ASAP before it becomes too late. I've gotten rebates refunded directly to a credit card before when I was hosed in a similar manner.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Funny, when a person does this instead of a company, it's called fraud.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Blakkout posted:

I'm on SERO premium and am eligible for an upgrade. When I browse through Sprint's phones online though, I can only see discounted priced when I have an option selected to renew under a new 2-year deal. I was under the impression that they wouldn't renew any SERO contracts, so am I only able to get the upgrade discount if I give up on my current SERO plan? I'm pretty sure I've successfully upgraded in the past without doing so, but I can't seem to figure this out.

Where did you hear that? SERO upgrades like every other plan.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Vykk.Draygo posted:

He just told you why. If you switch plans, you will pay $480 for your iPhone instead of $199 (assuming that you are currently eligible for an upgrade). However, you won't be on a contract so if you plan to leave Sprint in the next several months, it would probably cost about the same.

Is that 480 confirmed? I'm seeing much higher numbers for Iphone 6.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

that one guy posted:

I got my HTCone when they first came out. I have the purple camera tint so bad my camera is basically unusable, and my phone drops data connection so I have to restart it and hope it reconnects properly. I'm tired of my phone not working right. Do I have any recourse other than buying a new phone? Any way I could get Sprint to replace my phone even though I've had it this long? Or maybe you guys know a way to fix the problems I'm having?

I'm thinking of switching to Vermont after my contract is up but I'm not sure how much of my annoyances come from Sprint or my phone.

Make sure to get the maple syrup plan, I hear it's the sweetest deal.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Medullah posted:

I am on SERO and was considering upgrading my Galaxy S3 to a Note 4 - when I go online to Sprint.com it's saying I need to change plans. Is that just because online doesn't work with SERO anymore, so I should just call telesales?

It always says that. Call the SERO number.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

FlyingCheese posted:

There was a sprint rep that posted his ID number on his blog a couple years ago, you could use it to get on the EPRP plan. I'm still on that plan (until my T-Mobile nexus 6 arrives anyway). There was even a goon in this very thread that did the same thing. I believe they got something for having as many people join under their name, it was encouraged by sprint at one time.

My wife has this plan and they call it SERO.

I have the old SERO plan from when it was first introduced, so it becomes a bit confusing.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

FlyingCheese posted:

EPRP isn't quite the same thing, it came after SERO died and isn't as good of a deal.

I know, but everyone that I talked to at Sprint calls it SERO and has no idea what I'm talking about when I say EPRP.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I looked around and sprint is still cheaper for me by quite a bit. Also service is pretty good where I live so que sera sera.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yeah, I pay $58 after fees and taxes for unlimited data and 500 minutes with an IPhone...I haven't found anything touching that and I've looked. For the last couple of years, service was absolutly terrible as they were upgrading, but I'm getting pretty good now, so I feel like I earned this.,

Looking through my speedtest results, two years ago 21K/49K which was average (20-40) and terrible. One year ago 515K/100K, which is better, but still slow.

Today 2679K/759K. It's like night and day. If it didn't improve, I would have left.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Like the others said, you get subsidized pricing on phones on SERO, every 2 years you get an upgrade.

So I paid $200 for my iPhone 6, and going by your model, using it for 3 years, that works out to $5.55/mo. So $55.55/mo. for your effective rate. And if you upgrade when you're eligible, getting a new phone in 2 years instead of 3, it only goes up to 58.33/mo.

I've been getting a new Iphone every other year and I end up breaking almost even once I resell the old one.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

bigpolar posted:

Any smart phone newer than the Evo requires the premium data add on, if I recall correctly.

That's already the $50 plan.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

bigpolar posted:

Aren't the base plans $30 and $50, then the data add ons are on top of that? I think it is a $10 premium phone charge and a $10 4g charge, but I don't remember exactly how they break it down.

I think if you go to a flip phone you can still drop back to the $30 plan.

No, the old plan was $30. Then the new phones at the time required an upgrade to the 40$ plan. Then almost immediately, the new new phones required a $10 data plan, so your options were $30 poo poo tier phone, like one phone that was $40 that didn't include the data plan, and then everything else that was $40 + 10.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I'm going to miss SERO. It's been a fun 10 years. I look at my wife's bill and weep.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I have not been able to find anything close to SERO in price and offer, so complaining about paying $50 for unlimited data on a smartphone is a hard sell.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Wizard of Smart posted:

Most reps sop is to add it at point of sale and tell you it's your responsibility to take it off.

I was reading through the thread and saw this. Just wanted to throw out that this may actually be illegal in some states. I hope Sprint is aware and informs the reps accordingly.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Early update for Sprint likely means they put you on a lease plan. They have been kinda sketchy about it lately, so be careful.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Unless you're on SERO, why on earth would you want to keep upgrade pricing? It is and always has been a ripoff.

Is this because of the plan pricing, or the upgrades? I ask because I've upgraded every two years and haven't had to pay more than $50 dollars for a phone since the Iphone 4. In fact, the 5s to 6s is going to cost me $30. The leasing seems like a huge loving ripoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

Upgrades add an extra charge to your monthly bill, there's no way around it.

Ahh, hence the SERO...I thought the upgrade pricing might be better somewhere else.