Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Just verifying my thoughts...

My fiancee approached me about joining my plan and switching to an Android phone from her iPhone and family plan she is on.

I have the SERO account.

There's no way to add her to mine is there?

What is my best course of action?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

I've got a SERO account with android and all that jazz that I end up paying around $55 for after taxes.

Can I add my fiance on to my account as an iPhone EPRP? Assuming I can't get another SERO that would be the best thing to do, right?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

You can never buy from amazon if you are on sero or eprp. Just don't bother, not worth the risk anyway.

Do SERO plans still get upgrades at (what is it 2 year?) intervals?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

ehonna_disco posted:

I'm excited about the hardware camera button, the kickstand, and the superior camera. I think SAMOLED screens look too colorful/oversaturated.

The opposite of everyone here, basically.

Am I a bad person for liking Sense? :(

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

I've got the EVO 4G and in the last week or so it seems half of my chargers have stopped doing the job unless light pressure is placed on it.

The odd thing is some chargers still work.

I have one at work and one I use with my computer that work just fine still, but my home and car chargers are having issues.

Is this a charger issue or a charging port issue?

I thought I remember reading about charging port issues before.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Hi fellow Philadelphia goon.

Overall I have been extremely frustrated with data speeds, and even today steaming music while driving from Philly to west Chester was just a no go, when I used to never have a problem (the way back was fine). The weird thing is my apartment is great comparatively (others posting speeds inspired me to check). I am getting 1-2MB 3G speeds on my phone. Crazy.

Fyi Philly network vision is set to be 50% done by end of the year, 100% in just about a year (they talked about it in a meeting last month). Not sure if that is the cause for my speeds, but just general fyi.

I'm taking a trip to St louis via car this week, I'll do a bunch of speed tests since I'll be bored in the car along the way.

What part of St. Louis are you coming to?

STL Metro Area Native here! :)

Edit: Does it matter which kind of Sprint Store? This one is listed as a repair center.

Retailers near you
1) Sprint Store By Marshall Wireless

1911 Vaughn Rd
Wood River, IL 62095
(618) 258-8200
This is a ReadyNow store

Sales
Repair
Se Habla Espaņol
Bill Payment
4G Experience

Krime fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 12, 2012

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

tomguycot posted:

From what I can tell this is actually intended behavior so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting on a fix. And even if there is a fix incoming I'd plan on it moving about as fast as the Evo 3D ICS update (which is to say, ridiculously slow).

If that is intended behavior... :smith:

I was hoping for great great things EVO LTE, why are you letting me down?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Galaxy S III SERO Upgrade Trip Report:

:words:

Thanks. Getting ready for my own upgrade on a SERO account. I'm terrified it will get messed up when I get my new phone. :ohdear:

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah. The web site's broken when it comes to switching codes for SERO plans. I called the employee support number and they took care of it in five minutes and activated my Nexus.

Thanks for this reassurance. I was worried when I looked online and it said I needed to change plans.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Lowest is $50.

Since my update is August 1st, is there any way they'd let me update a week early without the fee due to my travel plans?

Or should I just wait the 2 weeks or so?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

IIRC, upgrade eligibility is already moved up to the first of the month, so you don't get any additional breaks beyond that.

Fair enough, thakns!

Will just have to wait a little longer.

What happens if you buy out the upgrade? Do they reset it to the month in which you do that?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

I'm on a SERO plan.

Can I go to a Sprint store and do my upgrade in person or should I do it online/over the phone? Would it be an exercise in banging my head against a wall?

Going from my EVO4G to either a EVOLTE or SGS3.

Krime fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 30, 2012

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

I just don't understand why the XDA "chefs" can't put out a simple stock rooted rom. Makes you wonder what they did to it considering Wifi is broken.

The Entire Universe posted:

They can't because they're like the teenagers who basically are physically unable to drive a car that doesn't have 100lbs of useless fiberglass bolted to the body.

And so they hack voodoo sound, voltage tweaks, unreliable file systems, and all sorts of other bullshit that do little outside of damage system stability.

To be fair, I've seen a few ROMs that are simply stock rooted or very close to stock.

Also, to be fair to you, yes there are heaps and heaps of mad scientist ROMs out there as well.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Am I remembering/understanding it right that SERO users can't take advantage of deals on phones on Amazon?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

td4guy posted:

Correct. Or any other store, for that matter.

So, buy outright somewhere, or upgrade price through Sprint. Got it.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Crosspost from the Android Phone thread...

Where can I find a good deal on an EVO 4G battery, and from a reputable dealer?

Sprint.com has them for $40.

I've found them cheaper on ebay and amazon, but I'm afraid of swindlers on there selling mislabled or fake batteries. Of course they all aren't swindlers, which is why I am asking for positive experiences.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You're not going to be certain that it's an OEM battery unless you buy straight from Sprint or HTC (if they sell them). I would just look for batteries that have a lot of high ratings on Amazon. Even if they aren't OEM, they'll probably be close to the right capacity. The nice thing about the EVO 4G is that there's no shortage of cheap batteries because it uses the same battery as the Touch Pro2.

edit: and apparently like a dozen other phones

edit2: just buy these

Ordered. Can't say thanks enough. :):hf::)

I was wanting to punch someone after reading through all of the "You sold me a dead battery" reviews.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

td4guy posted:

My brother recently lost his job and sits around at home all day tethering to his phone with youtubes and bittorrents. He gets halfway decent speeds (~500kbps).
Pretty soon. A friend of mine hit 1.5GB last year and got a warning letter pretty quickly. Now for the past two months she hit ~500MB each month and has been informed that her service will be terminated at the end of the month.

Lets say you don't use a bunch of data, you primarily do voice.

Would Sprint notice this and try to boot you?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Ender.uNF posted:

Well I have some bad news. Sprint seems to be seriously hosed on the NV deployment. I have no idea why and was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt but there can be no mistake that they are experiencing massive delays.

DFW, original completion date Nov 2012. Actual completion Feb 2014.
NYC, original completion date May 2013. Actual completion Aug 2014.

Basically all markets are at least a year behind schedule at the current run rate. Don't wait around for better 3G or LTE unless you are willing to have another 2-3 years of poo poo speeds.

I was really hoping they would unfuck themselves but they've had three months now to start ramping up the deployment speeds but instead the site completion rate has dropped slightly.

This is really disconcerting. :(

I'm on SERO and just got married and my wife wants us to be on the same carrier. She's on an ATT family plan with her parents still, and I was going to have her switch over to Sprint EPRP with the iPhone 5.

She might kill me if she goes through with that.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Look on the bright side, at least we'll have another year of unlimited data. :v:

Is this sort of the consensus?

Once NV upgrade is complete, goodbye unlimited data?

That will be a tough pill to swallow for holding on to the terrible speeds/coverage for so long in hopes of the promised land.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

EventHorizon posted:

So I have a Samsung Epic and SERO. The phone has served me well for the past two years. This month, I'm eligible for an upgrade. I was thinking about getting the GNex. I was inspired by this thread. Now I'm hearing talk that the GNex is not worthwhile secondary to Sprint's poor support. Should I wait with my upgrade? My rooted Gingerbread Epic isn't that bad and there are pockets of Wimax. Should I get the S3 or go for the Gnex which is $99 compared to $239 for the S3. I don't think there are any plans for LTE in my area anytime soon. Hell, should I even renew the contract if Sprint is requiring verification of SERO? I got the account back in 1997.

It was a little vague sounding, but I read it as SERO wasn't part of the "need to verify" discount group. Only those that get x% off your plan from various companies/groups.

I could be completely wrong though.

If this is true and my SERO account goes away, goodbye Sprint. I'm sitting on an upgrade now.

Krime fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 29, 2012

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Duckman, just curious... can I add an EPRP line to my SERO account?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Does a One X+ mean an EVO+ is coming?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

No St. Louis :(

Thanks for nothing, Sprint!

My guess is that the STL market is too spread out for them to tackle right now. Looks like no Sprint LTE in the Gateway city until 2014 or possibly 2015. Yuck.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

atomicvocabulary posted:

I have a question. While some people are attempting to upgrade from SERO 4g wimax to LTE and can't do it online, I can not DOWNgrade from 4g wimax to windows mobile.

Yes, yes, I know it're ridiculous that I am wanting to use a non android phone, but I have a Nexus 7 and windows mobile can do wifi routing and 4g wimax isn't all that great. I basically need something to make and receive text messages and phone calls sometimes.

Anyway, how is this accomplished? Can it be? I'll save 10.85 (roughly) per month, or 130 per year if I can pull this off. Also I am doing it because the evo 3D isn't that great. Any ideas?

Did you call and talk to someone? Check the OP and use that number.

rhombus posted:

So I'm trying to get a new iPhone for two SERO accounts, 1 is SERO Premium, while the other is still on the old SERO 500. I just got off the phone with a nice Southern lady on the Employee Care line. I was trying to get both accounts upgraded to be ready for the pre-order tonight. She told me that since both accounts were employee accounts I wouldn't be able to pre-order. According to her the iPhone 5 will only be released to consumer accounts, not employee accounts.

Also, this is a pretty big bummer if true. Guess they are trying to weed out the SERO accounts little by little?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

td4guy posted:

EPRP isn't a particularly good deal, often matched or exceeded by employer discounts, so I see no reason for why Sprint would want to axe it after all these years.

I thought after all was said and done you do pay about the same on EPRP as you would with most normal employee discounts, but with EPRP you get more minutes or something a little extra. But who uses minutes anymore? :smug:

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

1 - Is the company really going to be called New Sprint or is that just what we're throwing around in here?

2 - :lol: I found this browsing the STL Craigslist phone postings. Worth a read! Disgruntled employee incoming!

Sprint iPhone 5 32gb black NIB !!!!!!! - $350 (ladue Mo)
Date: 2012-10-10, 1:11PM CDT
Reply to: see below

To all you vultures that knew this ad was too good to be true but clicked on it anyway. READ CAREFULLY!!!! For all
you people that doubt me please realize sprint cuts my check...........................................

Sprint is a joke. There is NO 4G LTE network. Ive heard people lying, saying that " LTE
will be coming soon, within the month." BUUUUUULLLLLL poo poo! If you buy a Sprint 4G LTE
phone you just bought a 3G phone my friends. Some of the heavy hitting phones on that list are;
Samsung galaxy s3
iPhone 5
EVO 4G LTE
Motorola photon
ect........................................................................

And all will ONLY run 3g until they update towers.
Puerto Rico has a tower and St. Louis doesn't. Basiclly Sprint is saying people buy more
phones in Bucktusle Oklahoma and Puerto Rico than here.

I went to San Antonio for a trip, my buddy has the precious iPhone 5.
That city has the strongest 4g lte towers in the United states. He only had a lte 4g signal next to to highway
standing, if we were moving no signal. And a couple days later in a store!

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND JUST WAIT FOR THE TOWERS.
YOU'LL HAVE A ANOTHER UPGRADE BUY THEN!
Real 4g phones use WiMax to connect......... i.e. evo/ galaxy s2
THE NEW 4Glte phones are not BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE.
NO 4G ANTENNA IN 4G LTE PHONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We will not see a LTE tower for 12/24 months so the only way you'll enjoy that new LTE & $10 premium
fee.......plus the fact you got screwed....... is to connect to WiFi. Or if your on the go 1,000,000 feet
of Ethernet cable and a router! Sprint 3g Blows!!!!!! it takes four minutes to load a page with no
picture content on your phone. The date data is unlimited because that's how much time you will need
to accomplish anything.

I'm typing at 65 words per minute and in college, so I finished my paper, smoked 3 cigarettes and made 3 phone calls,
and made this ad. In my 15 min break. Sorry, but If Craigslist the only way to get the RIGHT info to Sprint customers.
I'm only one guy in a world of Sprint robots that want that sale commission. Please use this info to inform yourself next phone purchase.
YOUR WELCOME

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

datajosh posted:

If there was going to be another Nexus phone I think it would've leaked by now :(

Agreed. Especially with a big Google event on the 29th.

Not digging the LG which pisses me off because I've been holding off for the Nexus.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

I'd say the only legitimate reasons to stick with Sprint are these

1. You want to gamble on the Softbank merger turning things around FAST.
2. Sprint actually has excellent coverage in your area already.
3. You MUST have unlimited data.
4. You have SERO.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Giblet posted:

I think even without sero sprint can be substantially cheaper.

True. I only priced out a family plan on Verizon recently. I'm sure individual plans aren't nearly as cost effective.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

helsabot posted:

I have SERO and I'm still considering leaving Sprint because my service in chicago sucks so bad. Also I want one of the snazzy new Windows 8 phones.

I thought I was just reading about someone living in Chicago really happy with how things are turning out. At first they were terrible, but they were getting the kinks worked out.

Maybe I'm imagining things.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Is there any indication the HTC 5" phone is coming to Sprint or is that looking to be Verizon only?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

I went and played with a Note 2 in store today ... Pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger in the next few days. Only thing I'm going to wait on is the Google conference, just to play things safe.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I've got SERO, using an Evo 4G, and someone wants to get my phone upgrade for a gift for me. When I call in to get my upgrade, do they take the payment then or do they put the upgrade cost ($200) on my next bill?

I literally just got off the phone, same situation, EVO and SERO and all.

They charge a credit/debit card. Activation fee goes on your bill.

I'll have my Note II on Friday! :getin:

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

dundun posted:

Hello fellow Sero/Note II user! Just got the phone yesterday, I was upgrading from a kyocera echo (ugh) and the Note II is simply night and day. Super fast, amazing screen, tons of features. The only thing I'm still getting used to is the size, 5.5 inches is definitely on the cusp of being too unwieldy to hold with 1 hand.

Yeah, I went to a store to play around with one first. I'm a big guy with big man hands so I'm not too worried about it. I know its going to take some getting used to, but I'll be just fine.

Have you found the toggles that move the keyboard to one side of the device or the other for one handed use? Does that help at all?

How much have you played with the S Pen?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

thenakedflip posted:

My wife and I upgraded to Note 2s this week. We are absolutely loving it. The size hasn't been an issue at all and I can't imagine going smaller now. The only thing I wish it had was the multi window option that the International version has, but I'm assuming it will be released as an OTA update later on.

Welcome to the Note 2 club! :):hf::)

My only gripe so far is that the stock messaging app doesn't give enough real estate for the conversation. They keyboard takes up 1/2 the screen, the contact, and message you are entering take up a huge portion, leaving about 1/4 of the screen for the actual conversation.

Also, I miss the directional keyboard buttons from my EVO keyboard.

Krime fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 3, 2012

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Hoppin Tin posted:

I'm paying $59.99 a month, plus $10 for premium data plus $7 in surcharges.... How are any of you doing only $50 a month?

I used to have the $30 SERO, but then to upgrade to a Evo4G they said I had to up my plan. Is there any way to bring it down? I'd stay with Sprint if it was $50

I think the question is how are you not on the SERO $50 plan. You're the first person I've seen thats not on it (other than those hanging on to the $30 dumbphone SERO).

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

What do I have to do (other than wait) to get my Note 2 to update so I can get the split screen multi-tasking?

How long should I expect to wait?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Hopefully the US Cellular purchase really props up the midwest.

Most places I go to in my daily life (Suburbs of St. Louis) leave me with 1 to 2 bars and terrible signal, always in the red according to the Netmonitor app.

Most of my roaming is on US Cellular, so hopefully those towers will fix the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

I know St. Louis is on the back burner because of the heavy WiMax saturation, but when WILL they start to make the changeover?