Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I finally talked my wife into upgrading her phone. She wants to stick with a $30 sero plan. How is the replenish? She's upgrading from a clamshell that can handle 10 txt messages before having to delete one to get the next, doesn't do pictures or anything. Our roommate has an old reclaim that she uses as an alarm clock, but I'd like to get my wife on android. (the replenish works without the $10 smart phone fee right? I heard rumors that it does't)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, you need to at least go to $40 SERO-P.

Well, that sucks. I was looking at the online shop and logged in it still says, "Special Offer: Monthly required $10 Premium Data Add-on charge is waived for savings. Not transferable to other devices." Does that matter at all?

I get a discount through my work(walgreens) and I know those aren't applicable to the sero plan, but can they be used on actual handsets and things?

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 17, 2011

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

It made more sense back before all smartphones got the :10bux: - you had $30 SERO for dumbphones / WinMo 6.5, $40 SERO-P for non-premium smartphones that actually do things, and $50 SERO-P plus Premium for the Evo and Epic.

Today, it pretty much means:

$30/mo: Cell phone retirement home
$40/mo: Replenish sits here all alone
$50/mo: If you buy anything that is not an Evo or a Nexus you are doing it wrong

Damnit. I thought it was:

$30/mo: Cell phone retirement home maxing at TP2 (and the replenish for some reason)
$40/mo: Everything but Evo/Epic/Nexus
$50/mo: Evo/Epic/Nexus

This ruins my "get a midlevel Android device until they come out with a cellphone more powerful than my laptop in 8 months" plan.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I'm on the $30 sprint plan with a TP2. I'm absolutely sick of my phone and want an android device. I use my phone for browsing the web, Gps, taking pictures, and txting. I wanted a EVO 3D, but I doubt my small town in Iowa will get 4g anytime soon, so I'm not sure it's worth the extra $240 a year. Is there an Android device that is awesome that works with the $40 Sero plan?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

LG Optimus S would be a good upgrade. Obviously not as good as the 3D, but a great phone.

Honestly, you should see if the Arrive or Echo can go on the $40 plan (I think they can since they are not 4G). The Echo wouldn't be a great option at $50 a month, but at $40 I would honestly say its a good enough phone by far. Better than the Optimus for sure. If you like Windows Phone 7 (way better than your TP2) go with the Arrive.

I'm worried about the battery life on the Echo, and after having 4 windows phones I'm just scared about getting hosed again. I'm just tired of always feeling like I have to trick my phone into doing what I want it to do, and having to charge it every day, and it randomly shutting off when I send txts. Goth do I hate this phone right now.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Quick questions about the Echo:

I read that the Echo doesn't support multitouch zooming in the web browser. Is this still true?

How bad is the battery life, really?

1Ghz Snapdragon, is this the fastest non-4G android sprint phone?

Are there any good emulators on it that let me multitouch the bottom screen while mario bops around the top screen? I like retro games so having them on my phone and playable would be awesome beyond belief.

Ninja Edit: The WinMo7 phone didn't support wifi hotspotting, dealbreaker.

DOUBLE EDIT! "We ♥ you, and to say thanks for spending time with us, you qualified on 02/01/2008 to save $150 on a new device"

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 20, 2011

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Forgot about the XPRT. Honestly I would leave that to personal choice, but I think the Echo holds its own:

2.2 vs 2.3 isn't a big big upgrade

The Echo's screens honestly look pretty sharp, I would bet better than the XPRT.

But again, personal choice.

It would drive me mad for potential screen space to be used by a physical keyboard on a candybar style phone, however I did look up the specs and the XPRT has a lower resolution screen(even when the Echo is in single screen mode). the echo is slightly smaller than my touch pro 2(in every dimension including weight). I think I'm gonna mull it for a few days, in hopes it goes down in price when the Evo 3d drops, but I'm 80% sure this is the phone I'm gonna get. Thanks for all your help, and one more question.

How is the picture quality on it? My Touch Pro 2 actually takes worse pictures than my Touch Pro did despite having a higher MP camera. Will I be able to take pictures in a bar without the flash? with the flash?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Ok this may sound stupid, But I haven't used my phone upgrade in 5+ years. I'm on Sero and want the kyocera Echo. It's $20 through Amazon with a contract extension. Can I do that and not gently caress up my Sero? There's no way to do this, is there? It just gives me the "everything" plans as options.

Should I just eat the $80 extra and get it through sprint?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

There's a reason it's only $20, it's not that great of a phone. I'd honestly take the Evo 4G even over an Echo.

My small town Iowa isn't gonna get 4G service in the forseeable future. I'm getting the best 3G phone I can find, Which seems to be the echo. I was just wondering if there was a way to get the amazon price and keep Sero.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I also have an airwave question. I heard they hook up to your internet connection. Does it use your bandwidth, or is that just to get some info from the internet? My roommate gets no reception in my basement, So I was thinkin about getting one for her, but not if it sucks up all my giggalobytes.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Sorry to interrupt all the Evo 3D talk; I ordered my Echo and it is schedualed to arrive later today. I'm on oldschool SERO. Do I need to try to activate it first or call the number in the OP to upgrade my account first?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Not sure if this is the thread, but here goes...

I got my Echo today. I pushed my contacts over bluetooth from my Touch Pro 2. I went to contacts on the Echo; they werent there. I imported from SD card. BAM they all show up. Then they slowly disappear. Like they just slowly disappear. I've narrowed it down to my google account deleting them, but the only fix I've found is not syncing my google account with my phone. That seems stupid. I thought syncing would you know Sync the information between the phone and the account. Not just delete everything off of one in favor of the other. Is there a way to copy my contacts to my google account maybe?

also my phone app doesn't pop up people's names when I start typing them. Like to call "mom" I hit "666" but it doesn't find "mom" it just puts "666". Is this an android thing or a Echo thing? Can I download a new phone app or dialer app or something to fix it?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Let us know your thoughts on the phone!

Thoughts on the Echo after a weekish on it. Granted I'm coming from a Touch Pro 2.

I'm not sure I like Android as a phone system. I don't see any difference between the Android Market then the sprint market on my old dumb phone. It's thousands of crappy apps that I'll try once and realize suck. I have a half dozen pool games on my phone for just this reason. One thing I miss about the TP2 is it felt like a phones operating system. I know that it was because of the HTC skin over WinMo but so far it's irritating trying to get android to act like I want a phone to act.

As for the actual hardware. It's smooth. I love that I click something and it does it. It's nice to want to show off something on my phone and not have to say, "hold on a second it does this some times." When It always did that. If I popped on my TP2 to send a text it was like a minute or two of waiting for it to load or send or anything. As for the duel screens. It's nice for web-browsing and reading comics, but I'd rather have a single screen with a high resolution. I've found a few apps that I was excited to use, but didn't work right because of the odd resolution in "tablet" mode. Battery life is crap, it is prolly because I use the second screen as a keyboard everytime I have to type anything... SPEAKING of the keyboard. You have a whole 800x480 screen for a keyboard, GIVE ME ARROW KEYS! and the loving number row. There's enough space for 2 whole more rows when you use the second screen as a keyboard, but no you're stuck with a crappy cellphone keyboard anyway.

Overall I really like it.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you'd tell us what you're trying to get it to do, we could tell you how to do it because you can pretty much make Android work however you want.
I just need to buckle down, find and organize some widgets. It's just out of the box it feels like when I got my first winmo phone(an. Like its a nice portable OS and look it can make calls too. And just like WinMo, when I started on a ppc6700), I'm sure as soon as I get it all customized it'll be fine.

I'm still kinda a Android virgin... is there an easy way to swap between programs you are currently using. Like holding a txt conversation while playing angry birds.

nate fisher posted:

The second biggest marketplace (behind Apple's) and you are not happy? Honestly maybe it is not for you or you yet don't know what to look for.
I was just giving my first impressions. I've found a lot of apps I like(and use... mostly anything by google) but there is a LOT of crap out there. Some of my complaint is device specific, I'll find a recommended app like for reading comics and it won't work well in tablet mode. The online user community is next to non-existent for this phone, so it's not easy to know how apps will work when you throw them into a giant non-standard resolution. It reminded me of the sprint store when I'd download a java game or something and it'd run in the top corner because it didn't support my specific resolution. Hell, that continued into my TP2.

I just have minor irritants with the phone. I didn't mean my post to come off as bashing android, It's probably the best mobile OS out there.

One last thing about the Echo. I love the tablet mode for reading comics and web pages and things that are nice with higher pixel counts, but the "run 2 different programs at the same time on separate screens" thing is next to useless. I've not done it once except to check it out. when I show people my cool new phone I don't even bother to show them that bit.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

This, definitely something to consider. I know you (rodshaft) are you tring to save the $10 a month, I guess the only other phones I can think of are the Arrive and XPRT Look at both of them.

But I love the extra screen space/resolution when surfing the internet and similar things. Is the 3D worth the extra $220 it'll cost me over the first year? Do we have some real numbers on battery life yet?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If sounds like the cons outweigh the pros. You have 30 days from purchase to return it and get a good device unless you bought it used.
Alright, the battery life(going through 2 batteries to get through work, using only one screen) killed the echo for me. What's the easiest way to go about trading it up? I'm on Sero, do I need to call the Sero line from the OP?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

The Antipop posted:

My Evo 3d camera and camcorder no longer work. I just noticed it today when I wanted to take a picture. Any idea what I can do to fix it? I would rather not resort to a hard reset as I don't know how to get all my contacts back on the phone.

Alternatively, how can I get all my contacts back on the phone and I will do a hard reset.

Do you use a flashlight app? Whenever I use one on my 3D it fucks the camera for a bit.

Alternately, does anyone know a flashlight app for the 3D that doesn't gently caress the camera?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

So if I want to use a wiimote or most other bluetooth controllers on my Evo 3d, I need to install a new blutooth stack. Can I do that with the official unlocker or do I have to root it?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

fyallm posted:

I'm trying to decide on which case with a kickstand should I get for my Evo3D.

Has anyone tried the seidio case: http://www.seidioonline.com/product-p/csr3hev3dk-bk.htm

Or the case-mate HTC Evo 3D pop case: http://www.case-mate.com/HTC-Evo-3D-Cases/Case-Mate-HTC-Evo-3D-Pop-Cases.asp

Or if anyone knows of a better case that has a kickstand I will be more than happy to take a look at that.
I got this one in purple.

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Glove-Vibe-Slider-Stand/dp/B0058VZVBE

Pros: The kickstand locks in place so you can stand the phone up on any side except the top. Hardshell. Easy to put on.

Cons: not rubberized so it's slick and will slide around when you poke the screeen whilst it's on its stand.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Is there an easy way to share 3d photos between Evo 3d's yet?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Is there a way to shut off the camera sounds on a stock evo 3d with the ICS update? It used to be a toggle, but now it's gone with the update. It'd be nice to take pictures of my newborn son without a loud "bzzzzzzzzrg... CLICK" Waking him up.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Can we no longer sign up for the employee referral plans? Chappy's email isn't working for me.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I'm helping my sister set up 5 eprp lines for her, her husband, and her 3 children.

Since 3 phones will be for children who like games but cannot be trusted.
A few questions.

Is there a way to make it where phones cannot buy premium apps, or buy add-ons for freemium apps?

Do all android phones have the $10 premium data charge?

Is the LG Viper LTE the best Free phone at the moment.

Is there a decent deal on getting internet to a laptop, or is rooting the only way to not pay an arm and a leg?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I have TEP and an EVO 3D. I recently had my phone replaced because of a blind spot in the touch screen, and the referb I got kept getting dust under the screen and had "ghost touches" for lack of a better word. I keep my phone in my pocket and one day I tooke it out and it had cracks in the screen over the bottom buttons. I took it back to the sprint store where I had it replaced and they told me it'd be $100 to replace. I'm pretty sure I got a faulty referb, because I had my other EVO 3D for almost 2 years and was way more abusive with no problems, and this one didn't even last a month. Is there a way to get around the $100 for a cracked screen, or am I SOL?

Edit:

TLDR: Can I get around the $100 for a replacement for my Evo 3D with cracks over the buttons on the touchscreen if I have TEP?

I'd like to hold out using my upgrade credit for a Note 3.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 10, 2013

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

At the moment I have an Evo 3d. I'm up for an upgrade though and I'm wondering if I should get a Note 2, a HTC One or wait for the Note 3? I use my phone to browse the internet and watch videos, play music with one of them Lil external speakers, so I like the giant screen of the Notes, and the front speakers of the One. I love my Evo 3d, and I'm really going to miss the 3d bit, but its screen is smaller than I'd like at this point, and the speaker has always been way too quiet.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Ozmodiar posted:

Anyone else seeing REALLY LONG delays in text messages coming from people on other networks?

I live in Cincinnati, OH and the seem to send/receive just fine when I'm home...but when I'm anywhere other than my house (for example: I work in Dayton, OH and I was in Columbus, OH this weekend) I'm seeing 5 or 6 hour delays on receiving messages.

I emailed Sprint support, but it says it can be 3-5 days before they get back with you...

I've gotten this lately while roaming with a REALLY weak signal, but the other person was also on sprint.

I got part 3 of a 4 part txt, then 5 hours later I was on a good signal and it was another hour before I got the other 3 parts.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Any word on when either will come to sprint?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

beaner69 posted:

Yesterday I got a handwritten letter from Sprint thanking me for being a customer for seven years. It was kinda cool.

Even their printers don't work?!

Can you do nothing right, Sprint?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

OptimusMatrix posted:

I picked up my note 3 yesterday coming from an iPhone 5. After playing with it for a few hours and I literally felt like I had baby hands. Why didn't I switch to a larger screen sooner? This thing is amazing. If Apple came out with an iPhone with a comparable screen I'd probably jump ship back to ios but for now I'm loving the poo poo out of this thing. And holy crap did I ever miss Swype.

How's the sound on it's built in speakers? I'm debating between the Note 3 and waiting on the HTC One Max. I watch a lot of videos and listen to a lot of sports and audiobooks. With my Evo3d I have to use an external speaker or headphones most of the time.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I went to buy the Note 3 this morning and it said that I would need a new plan. I have sero premium with the $10 premium data add on. Am I missing something?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

moolchaba posted:

Do it over the phone. The fact that SERO is defunct except for those of us who have grandfathered plans probably messes with the online automation.

e: use this number 866-264-1282

They gave me this number.
888-882-4030

Seems to have gone through just fine. Thanks!

Edit:
Phone and accessories subTotal: $349.99
Account fee: $36.00
Shipping fee: $12.00
Estimated tax: $34.30
Total : $432.29

Good lord that's an expensive phone.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 10, 2013

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Btw. Don't install the latest update for the Note 3. It slows it WAY down, locks up often, and broke my keyboard.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

datajosh posted:

I haven't experienced any of those issues with the update on my Note 3.

Then you're mean and I hate you. Also, Bluetooth controls are finicky now, which is irritating as Hell since I only listen to my phone in the car.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Does anyone have experience with sprints home internet offerings? I'm in a brand new apartment building that I can only get slow-ish internet for around $50 a month. I get good lte speeds with my note 3 through Sprint so as long as they don't have a stupid cap at like a gig or two I may do that. It seems impossible to find pricing on their website or any real info.

Edit: I don't know why I kept going to clear Sprint, but it looks like it's pay per gig which I'm not interested in.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 18, 2014

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

How do I get the Note 5 on my Sero plan with the $200 any trade in promo(200samsung)? It errors out when select 2 year contract and try to add to cart. Do I need to call? Can I do promos like that over the phone?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Is the Note 5 the best large screen phone on Sprint atm? I hate that there's no sd support, but as of the latest update to my note 3 there may as well be no sd support. P-much I just need a big rear end screen(I use my phone as a tablet) and something that's a upgrade to my limping-along Note 3. And with the $200 trade-in credit the Note 5 looks tempting.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I ordered an LG G4. For my sero plan. They offered me a 7 inch tablet for free if I added a $10 data line. I thought you couldn't add lines to seei. I didn't do it, but it seemed like a good deal. Was it? Did I totally miss out?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I bought an LG G4 a few months ago and I just lost it. Device Manager and location history are no help. I don't have TEP. Do i have any options other than buy a cheap referb? Are there any decent prices on survivable phones? I like big screens, but I realize I can't be picky.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I drove off with it on my roof, so I have little hope that if I find it, it would be in one piece. I was thinking options like if Sprint or LG had a replacement policy fit lost phones for less than retail or anything. Are lost phones even covered by TEP if I had it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I'm guessing 3 months is too late to sign up for TEP. Is there any decent used/referbed phones for under $100? Is my best bet to cut my loses and just go to Tmobile or Cricket something? I use about 6gig of data a month and pay $55 when all is said and done.

Edit: Im under contract until august 2017, so that's a no go. So I guess I just need recomendations on decent phones available for under a hundred.

Edit 2: does sprint charge an activation fee every time you activate a phone? Like if I activate an old flip phone to use for a week while I wait for a new phone, will I be charged $36 or whatever both times?

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 19, 2015