Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
FUUUCCCKKK. My first-gen, easy-to-root Evo has decided to not charge anymore.
Is the Evo 4G still the best phone going on Sprint? I'm not going iPhone, sorry.
I do have TEP, but my mom's phone usb port died, and after paying $100 for TEP's deductible, she's got a phone with a hundred problems. I'll take a new phone, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
The 3D is out. The camera resolution isn't as good as my EVO's, and I can't stand the screen size.
I have just been reading about the Photon, which looks awesome. How easily rooted is it? I use WiFi Tether on a daily basis, as well as Titanium.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

tomguycot posted:

Not sure I understand this. The screens on the 3d and photon are the same size and resolution and if anything the photon screen is worse because it is RBGW pentile. Also the camera on the 3d is fine ...megapixels don't mean much.

The only reason that I could see for not getting the 3d would be if you really want to use the photons dock or just can't stand sense which if you liked the original evo I'm guessing isn't the case.

gently caress, I wasn't aware that the Photon had the same size screen. I want the same as my Evo. As for photo quality, I'll have to check it out in person. I use my camera a LOT, I use it for work constantly, thanks to geo-tagging of photos.

I guess I'll check out the 3D.

And I love sense. Call me crazy.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Sprint doesn't have the iPhone 4S? :confused:

Thinking he's talking about the Nexus. :v:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Lovie Unsmith posted:

I can browse and post on the forums on my Sprint phone. Does that help any?

I AM browsing and posting from my Sprint phone. I just watched a two hour movie on Netflix on my Sprint phone. I listened to three hours of Pandora radio today while traveling, on my Sprint phone.

Questions?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

WoG posted:

Depends entirely on your location. I use 7-8 gigs of 3g without much effort, and there are plenty of folks who use double that.

This man speaks the truth. Near Boston, I can easily use 5 gb on 3g, and more like ten on 4g. I was just in San Diego, and in a week could only use 400 mb, thanks to awful speeds.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Akileese posted:

If anyone with an EVO 4G is looking to try out an ICS rom MazWoz ICS is pretty drat solid. The guy is updating it at a staggering pace, he's pretty active in his thread and very good about answering questions/fixing problems. It's based off Evervolv, but honestly I think his rom runs significantly better.

Got a link? Camera, 4G, etc working?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

lazydog posted:

It's much easier for you to be pick pocketed with your wallet in the back. Also I've heard its bad for your back because it makes you lopsided.

I am a lefty, and also carry my wallet and keys on the left, phone on the right.
Never had a screen protector on my launch day Evo 3D, and it has no scratches on the screen.

Wallet and roll of electrical tape in front right, Atwood mini tool and silver dollar in coin pocket, keys (2 sets) in front left, knife and lighter in back right, flashlight in lower right, phone in lower left.

The joy of wearing Carhartts!

My wife keeps her EVO 4G in her purse with no screen protector. Its got a dozen small scratches on the screen. I keep mine in my side pocket, and regularly slam it into things, or empty metal shavings out of the pocket, but I've got a ZAGG protector on mine... no scratches.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

sanchez posted:

Googles flexibility vs Apple on things like that (and everything else), is why it such high marketshare.
Ayup. Apple is a dick to work with from the manufacturer/ carrier point of view. They can dictate the terms, and there isn't anything anyone can do about it because, well, they're Apple.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

heat posted:

I had to swap in my OG EVO a few months after release because it rebooted constantly but since then it's been great for almost 2 years. v:shobon:v

I got my evo the day they came out, and I've beat the crop out of it for over two years. Ditto with my wife. My mom has broken two charging ports.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

EatinCake posted:

Howdy thread.

I'm currently at the end of a 2 yr-contract with Sprint and qualify for their $150 off deal. I've been running around with a rumor touch, which honestly does everything I could ever want a phone to. However, I would like to modernize slightly to have a phone that does internet better and possibly store music on.

The two big phones by Sprint right now seem to be the Galaxy Nexus and new EVO, but even with my discounts they look like they're going to be $200. From reading reviews online, it seems like all current models are basically trying to live up to these standards, but unless you get the top model, you're just going to get a shitter version that has drawbacks that hinder it's primary function as a phone.

Are there any cheaper alternatives that work fine that still have decent internet/music playin abilities? I'm noticing things like the iPhone 4 8gb that's roughly a hundred less.

Buy a used Evo, or the Samsung galaxy two or something. Cheap enough, and you get to retain the upgrade until you want to buy the latest and greatest.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

EatinCake posted:

Through more investigation, I found the Galaxy Nexus on amazon wireless for only $100. Are there any real drawbacks to going through them instead of Sprint's store to save the hundred?

You'll have two etf's if you cancel, and you can't use Amazon if you have eprp.

\/\/\/ Oops, sorry.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 21, 2012

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

heat posted:

Now HTC is saying one of the phone models passed customs review but they don't say which one. They actually say they don't know which one but let's be serious.

They are serious. They honestly don't know. All the boxes are marked the same. They also don't want to admit that they can't even tell their models apart.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
To not give Sprint (who wouldn't just replace the loudspeaker on my OG EVO, they wanted to swap the entire phone) any credit at all, the magnet trick works awesome for clearing the rear loudspeaker on the Evo. Just open the case (simple as poo poo), and remove the speaker, then drop is from ~3 inches onto a hard drive magnet (foam side down).

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

moolchaba posted:

I went to a "real" Sprint store today and they said sometime next week. I was hoping to play around with it today.

Thanks, I also need to handle it to be sure I want to get one... Plus, it has to fit in my Carhartts to be an option.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Jeratain posted:

In the meantime, here's your next best bet: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1666938

SOS M is a MeanROM-based sense ROM without the Sense (AOSP apps, the launcher of your choice, status bar of your choice, apps of your choice). It's fantastic.

And swag is a great Rom, I've been running swagged out stock on my OG evo, and love it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

blargle posted:

Which options do you select during the setup for SOS_M? I tried the rom but the installer was incredibly confusing.

Stock kernel, stock status bar, stock notifications screen, basically stock everything to start. Then change one thing at a time, see what you like or don't... It's not complicated, I've reconfigured my OG evo about ten times in a night, playing with different installs. Just give it a shot.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Fist posted:

Hey dudes, had a crushing blow tonight. Left my gnex at a restaurnat and didn't realize till 3 hours later.

Obviously the current staff couldn't turn it up. I tried that Plan B app with no luck. Didn't send me the email and no response from the follow-up text message.

Now I realize my gently caress-up will cost me, but I'm curious as to how much? I didn't get TEP after 4 years of never having to use it on various phones.

I just got the gnex on pre-order date, so my contract is freshly renewed(sero). So am I looking at paying full price if I want the phone again, does some where else sell it cheaper that will allow me to activate it on my current plan?

Such a lovely feeling :shrug:

Major sucks = losing pictures of my kid, having to re-do Astrid, doggcatcher. gently caress
*edit and oh yeah the possibility of spending 500$

Don't/didn't have "where's my droid" installed?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Duckman2008 posted:

Jesus Christ, swift key literally guessed that sentence for me word for word. I did not type anything but just call.

http://xkcd.com/1068/

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Vykk.Draygo posted:

My dad has an EVO 4G and no insurance. The external speaker is crapping out (sounds all tinny and distorted when he gets a notification). Will Sprint repair it and at what cost?

If you care to, the fix is easy, open the case, remove external speaker, and drop it on a hard drive magnet. Metal dust sticks to the speaker, and distorts the sound. I've cleaned mine three times.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

bobula posted:

So I bought this thing: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00852YV6E/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

And tried to use it today with my Evo. It acted like it was charging (CM7, battery symbol had the filling up animation, led light came on), but it stayed at 5% for the fifteen minutes or so I was looking at the phone. Then I came back a couple of hours later and my phone was dead, and wouldn't turn on. So I plugged it in to the wall charger, no light. Tried my car charger, nothing. So I grabbed my sister's battery and put it in my phone, and it turns on. It looks like this stupid thing broke my charging port. Somehow the USB connectivity still works - when I plug it into my computer, it recognizes the phone, but it will not charge the battery through USB. Anyone have this happen? I'm taking it to Sprint in the morning anyhow but it's just a weird occurrence.

If your phone battery is very very low, or at zero, it'll take up to half an hour of charging for the light to even come on. It's also possible that your battery got so low that the protection circuit got tripped. Ledge it charging for a few hours, then try charging with another battery.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

scrub posted:

Just called retentions and got 3 Samsung Galaxy S3's for 99cents each (plus activation).. I have EPRP, had to call back a couple times to find a rep that could mess with my account. Lots of SERO-P people getting this too.

Good luck

How did you manage that? Just ask, claiming that you want to leave?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Four calls to retentions:'
1. We aren't price matching anything. Click.
2. I can't access your account (EPRP).
3. No price matching.
4. Same lady as 2. Same answer.

Gonna keep trying...

:edit:
5. different number, no go
6. woman put me on hold, agreed to pricematch, put on hold, came back, said employee relations was gone for the day, i asked for supervisor, currently on hold...

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 22, 2012

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

vwman18 posted:

Is the website not allowing SERO users to purchase the black friday S3? Or, are the phone calls to retentions to match the 99 cent deal?

Matching the .99 deal.
Forty minutes on hold, dropped the call. Way to go sprint network.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

vwman18 posted:

Is there any reason to go with the free Galaxy Nexus over the $50 GS3? Expandable memory and an extra gig of RAM sounds like its worth $50.

Not unless having stock android its paramount to everything else.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Ender.uNF posted:

Awesome wall of text

Thanks, that explains a lot.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
If I get an air rave, can I move it around, or is it locked to one location?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

NerdsMcGee posted:

Finally some Philly love. Yay! Now if only the Lehigh Valley would start some upgrades.

Offer Yocco's dogs to all installers.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
:sigh: I'm caught in the middle of a phone-upgrade dilemma. I'm still using the OG EVO 4G. Its been fine until recently, but I'm running out of space, and the display isn't unlocking after a night-long charge (buttons light up, but display stays dark).

My issue is that the GSIII is still $200 with a contract renewal. I tried like hell to get the 0.99 price at Thanksgiving, but kept getting the run-around. I'm going to need 3 phones, and I don't really feel like investing $600 in them when I could just buy them for $1000, and not have a contract. I'm considering just waiting until the new round of phones comes out in the spring/summer.

Are there any GSIII deals that I'm unaware of? I'm on EPRP if that matters at all.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

WoG posted:

Well, if you couldn't get the $0.99 price match, you still could have gotten them for the advertised $50. As for deals, though, EPRP means you're buying from sprint, so there's no such thing as 'deals you're unaware of' -- their price is the price.

I couldn't get anyone to actually sell me a phone of any kind. No matter which department I called, seemingly no one could touch my account. Tele sales was so overloaded with callers that it wouldn't even put me on hold, it just hung up on me.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Duckman2008 posted:

Friendships are formed in this forum.

Best :10bux: I ever spent...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Duckman2008 posted:

S3 I would do $300, iPhone 5 is a 32GB so I would want $550.

I'm interested in the S3. YHPM.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Biodome posted:

Hope yall get some more Network Vision roll outs soon. I get 4 or 5 bars of LTE at my apartment and everywhere I go in Dallas. It's not as fast as AT&T or Verizon's but it's still very nice. This is how it should be.

Chump.

I'm astonished at how loving fast, large, and thin this S4 is. Good god, my old Evo is going to be awful to use now (as a media device only)...

Also, GOGOGO LTE!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

zer0spunk posted:

Faster then my 20/3 at home. That hurts a little.

Where are you?

Bourne, Cape Cod, Mass. That's way faster than my 10/2.5 Comcast connection, that's for sure.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Most of the time the initial LTE upgrade happens because of trunk data line (fiber optic) locations, not specific locations. My mother had a tower in bfn West Virginia go live with LTE over six months ago. Why? Shentel was there for routine service, and the fiber trunk runs right next to the tower pad. They fired it up...:colbert:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

RodShaft posted:

At the moment I have an Evo 3d. I'm up for an upgrade though and I'm wondering if I should get a Note 2, a HTC One or wait for the Note 3? I use my phone to browse the internet and watch videos, play music with one of them Lil external speakers, so I like the giant screen of the Notes, and the front speakers of the One. I love my Evo 3d, and I'm really going to miss the 3d bit, but its screen is smaller than I'd like at this point, and the speaker has always been way too quiet.

Gs4 is a possibility too, the speaker is way louder than a 3d.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
So my wife just encountered an annoying Sprint quirk.
Her Galaxy S4 shut off mid-GPS run (plugged in), and would not power back on. If left plugged in, the phone gets HOT. She finds this out by leaving it plugged in for 6 hours while she's at work, hoping that the long-duration charge would revive the battery. I swapped my battery in, and still nothing. No lights on charge, no three-button reset. Dead.
The phone has been in an Otterbox since Day 2, and has never been abused or gotten even damp.

We bring it into the nearest repair center, we've got TEP, so no biggie, they'll replace it.
Nope, the tech reports finding a "residue" on the motherboard, and says that it's liquid damage. I disagree, and he basically tells me that he's entered those findings into the computer under the device serial number, and that he has 2 options:
1. Give it back, and any other tech who looks it up on the system will find his notes, and it'll still be "liquid damage". He says (rightly so) that no tech is gonna risk a $400 fee by marking it as a defect.
2. Process it under Asurion, costing us $150.

She needed a phone, and $150 isn't gonna break us, but it pisses me off that there's never been any liquid on the phone, none of the litmus papers are pink, but it's still classed as "liquid damage". Is there any recourse from Asurion, like can I contact them and ask "Please open it up and take a look"?

I'm also wondering if the residue is from the phone massively overheating if it's plugged in.

Any thoughts?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

EdEddnEddy posted:

:10bux: says it is some bit of melted plastic residue/adhesive stuff from the heat you mentioned earlier.

Or it could be that motherboard residue crap that was on a ton of EVGA Graphics Cards years ago when they used some Eco Friendly crap that made it look like you sprayed glue/water on the card after it got hot a few times.

Yeah, but is there anything I can DO about it? If the guy isn't lying, and I can see his point, there's no way to not pay the $150, unless Asurion can be convinced.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Wizard of Smart posted:

I got roped back into working at a sprint retail store again. :smith:

At least this time I'm the manager.

.... :negative:

So... Lord of the Flies, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
This is XPosted from the Recommend me a plan/phone thread:
This is gonna be a long one, and I'll probably XPost to the Sprint thread as well, but wanted to see other options:

Country/Provider:USA- Location: Cape Cod for my wife and me, Eastern Panhandle of WV for my mom
Current contract status: Currently Sprint, out of contract on old EPRP 1600 family plan. Current Bill is $197/month for three lines, including Assurion on two lines. Currently, all three lines have S4's on them. Base cost (no insurance, taxes, etc is $155)
Budget (phone/plan): Phones: Unlimited, I'm willing to shell out $650 for a 128GB Nexus 6P. Plan: I'd like to pay about what we do now, or less. The current plan is set up for subsidized phones, so I know we're paying more for that option.
Features I know I want: I'm pretty sure I'm going with the 6P, my wife is leaning toward 5x, my mom will probably buy an S6, Note 5, or something else... who knows, up to her.

I'm looking to either stay with Sprint and save money on the plan, or switch carriers. Sprint coverage where my wife and I live is great, and aside from the occasional trip to Upstate NY, we have no issues with coverage. Data speeds are usually pretty good, but occasionally we get the usual "Sprint Speed", where I'm getting 200kbps or less on "4G LTE". My mother lives in the ShenTel area where Sprint got majorly upgraded, and she's happy with coverage and speeds. Google Fi is out for us, as it TMobile.
We're keeping all 3 lines, and I often burn through a lot of data when I'm on the road. For example, last month, I used 9GB of 4G and 2 GB of 3G. My wife used around 2GB total, and my mom used 4GB. It's pretty common for me to go through 15-20GB a month. I'd love to see what the costs would be with different providers, but I can't seem to find a way to actually price out the plans without entering all sorts of info that I don't have (Verizon wants the IMEI and phone info on a phone I don't own yet, for example, and Sprint's BYOD system doesn't list the plans, you have to go in-store or call).

So, how much would it cost to get a BYOD plan from Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint for 3 devices, and say 12/24GB (or close) of Data?

Is there a way to stay with Sprint, but cut our bill down? Or should I just renew my contract, use the subsidy to buy 3 i Phone6+'s, and sell them?

::edit:: According to http://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Carriers/Sprint/Lines/4, there's a 40GB BYOD, No Contract plan from Sprint for $120/month for up to 4 lines? :wtf: If this is the case, that's $35/month cheaper, and no contract.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 15, 2015