Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I had looked into this a little over a year ago, but decided to stick with my old beat up phone and outrageous (good) plan.

I am currently on an old retail employee plan, base price $20 for 3000 minutes, unlimited text and data. After insurance and extra stuff, I pay $35/mo.

Well, that ship has sailed. Sprint finally sent me a text message stating that I need to change my plan within 1 week or they'll do it for me (I haven't worked for the retail company for many years). Since I have to change anyway, I wanted to look into joining the modern world of smart phones.

I realize that I won't get anywhere close to my current plan rate. My question is, would it be possible to use my current account status to worm my way into the previously un-obtainable SERO Premium plans? Or am I not a special enough snowflake to qualify?

Failing that, is EPRP the way to go? I work for the FAA but it seems their government discount is 15%, so I guess it just evens out with the EPRP price. UNLESS, the FAA discount is actually more than 15%, I just saw their generic Government Employee discount rate on the website, finding my specific discount rate required my employee email address and signing a two year contract on Sprint's website, which is something I don't yet want to do until I know what the discount is.

Short version question, what is my best course of action for getting into a real-person Sprint plan with a new smart phone and data package?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Any suggestions for picking up a USB+Female AC Adapter package for less than what Sprint wants to charge?

I'm sending back what I ordered from Amazon because though it looked real, it doesn't charge the phone.

Now I'm worried that anything I try to pick up from other vendors is just going to be a rip off. Anyone else had success getting a new Cable+Wall plug set for their phone?

I have an HTC Evo 3d if it matters.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I have a dedicated wall charger already. I wanted to get a USB data cable that comes with a USB to wall adapter. I bought one off amazon that looked authentic, but it didn't charge.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Did you have a good experience with a specific seller that I should check out?

I'm looking at all these chargers and most of these sellers have 20+ negative feedbacks in the last 30 days for defective products. Seems like the business of reselling phone accessories is shady as hell.

I'd be happy to buy from a goon recommended source before committing to another random charger that might turn out to be defective.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
What you're talking about involves rooting the phone, correct?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Anyone had trouble with the default alarm for the HTC Evo3d. It does such a good job of letting you know exactly when it's going to go off (notifies you how many hours away so you know you didn't get the wrong date/AM/PM set). The volume was up all the way but I never woke up on time this morning....

Check the phone and the alarms are still set to run just like they should be, for the correct time, with the alarm volume cranked. I normally take responsibility if I gently caress up setting an alarm, but it appears these were set correctly (I set two).

Maybe I'm just starting to sleep harder than I realized.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Could anyone tech who is tech savvy regarding Sprint explain to me why occasionally I won't receive my texts/calls even when I have several bars of coverage?

The problem is intermittent enough that Sprint's support can't do anything about it. But occasionally my wife will call 2-4 times and none of them will come through (others have the same result though they don't usually try as many times). Texts sometimes will be delivered hours after they were sent. Like, 4 hours after they were sent. This happens regardless of signal strength. Problem is, I have no idea how often the issue really comes up because I'm only made aware of it on days when my wife tries to get a hold of me and is unable. I really don't receive that many time sensitive texts/calls.

Anytime I call support they just have me do a software update and phone reboot then try and sell me a tablet. I'd just like to understand the process behind my phone not working as a phone.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Stick100 posted:

What type of phone do you have? This actually can make a difference.

Samsung Galaxy S4. It actually did crop up after I got this phone a year ago.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Well that's way more descriptive than I ever got from Sprint customer service on chat or phone, so thanks for that.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Stick100 posted:

It's a complicated issue, but there are certain phones (recent phones refered to as Spark phones) that engage in some odd behaviors in certain markets. This causes some pretty extreme issues rarely like horrible data or missed phone calls. It's mostly in the Northeastern markets if I recall correctly.

The S4 did you get it on launch or more recently?

More recent. Looks like I purchased it in February last year.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Curiouser and curiouser.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I was one my plan for 5 years or so before they figured it out. It just depends on how diligent they are about auditing employee accounts.

I, too, am on SERO now which is why I'm reluctant to switch from Sprint even though they don't always connect my texts or calls. The data performance is usually pretty nice at least.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I'm on SERO with 1 phone. Are there options to add a line?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
So new lines under my name will be subject to current plan offerings. Gotcha.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Just got a text my wife sent me two days ago.

SERO or not, I think we need to jump ship. GG Sprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

td4guy posted:

I've had this happen with MMSs, but never SMSs.

It's been happening to me for years. It's always "my problem."