Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Since you've never had a smartphone, get the Optimus. It's pretty much the best you can do for baby's first smartphone. The EVO is awesome (I guess the shift probably is too) but since you don't have anything to compare to, you shouldn't have any problems with the Optimus except maybe some typing difficulty with the smallish screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Skeezy posted:

Checking over my dad's account (which includes my mom and brother) I noticed that both my parents are up for a full upgrade ($150 off etc etc). My dad doesn't care much for upgrading his BB Bold and my mom's comfortable with her Curve. Would I be able to use my mom's upgrade to get my brother the Optimus S?

He's coming from my old Hero and I think an Optimus would be a nice upgrade that won't cost anything.

If there's no mail-in rebate, then yes. If there is a rebate, then maybe. Buy it, immediately put it on his line and don't put it on any other lines until you get your rebate check. They don't have to give you the rebate if it's not put on the upgraded line but they usually do.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

TLG James posted:

Maybe people don't like phones that take up their entire pocket and look like a loving brick is in there?

The EVO is half an inch thick. You can barely even notice it in your pocket unless you have tight, tiny pockets.

Anyway, apparently Kalamazoo, MI (specifically around Western Michigan University) has had 4g for almost a month and I'm just now finding out about it. Unfortunately I'm about five miles away in Portage and I can't seem to get anything.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

naughty_penguin posted:

Where did you hear about this? The coverage map doesn't show 4G, and I am standing right by that hideous statue outside Wood Hall and I am not getting 4G.

I got a text from a friend who heard about it so I googled it and theres a thread on XDA discussing it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1020086

edit: p.s. is that the gay orgy statue? I haven't been there in a couple year.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

naughty_penguin posted:

Haha indeed it is. I guess I will try wandering around campus a little bit more and see what happens.

I don't know if the WiMax tower is actually on campus but if it is it's probably on Sprau Tower. Try somewhere over by the library.

Of course if you can't even get it outside of Wood, then I doubt it'll ever be strong enough to get into Portage.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

mophomanners posted:

I'd say its probably on the campus..:ssh:

Are you keeping secrets from us? What do you know about Kalamazoo WiMax?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Also if anyone cares, we got in capacitive styli today. $20 and it's loving sweet. I'm going to buy one just to have it for my EVO and when I get a tablet.

I've never seen one. Are they the same size as a standard stylus? When I think of capacitive styli, all I can think of is those big sausage styli.

edit: big sausage styli delivery :pervert:

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 9, 2011

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

As someone who already uses Google Voice for voicemail but doesn't have a Google Voice number, how do I know when I can make my Sprint number my GV number?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

900ftjesus posted:

There's no might about it, the Evo 3D does not have a kickstand unfortunately.

They added a physical camera button and removed the kickstand, not sure that's a great trade but that's what they've done.

Maybe the camera button will be useful but god is it distracting and ugly compared to the rest of the device. It sticks out too far and the chrome stands out against the sleek black design.

Has it been confirmed whether or not the Evo 3D has a notification/Charging LED or not?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

If it is a clock that displays all night, wouldn't it make more sense to just go buy a $10 alarm clock and not limit your smartphone decision to a tiny feature that you only use while you're sleeping?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

drat it, still can't get full GV integration. I can get it to do my voicemail like regular GV, but it still says I'm ineligible for full Sprint + GV integration...guess I'll have to cal Sprint or something.

Wouldn't you have to call Google and not Sprint? Does it actually say ineligible somewhere? Mine doesn't seem to reference the integration anywhere whatsoever. I too am getting upset that it hasn't rolled out to me.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

$10 Says it is June 5th.

On a Sunday? The EVO rolled out on a Friday (though Friday is an awful day to release a phone, having to wait until Monday to receive it).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Yessssssssss! Finally got Sprint/Google Voice integration. Wish I had time to mess with it tonight.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

CharlesM posted:

Do you have to do anything with the handset to enable it?

Is your question do you have to do something to be invited to the integration, or do you have to do something with the handset after the integration? If it's the latter, all you have to do is sign out of Google Voice and sign back in. Also tweak your settings how you want them.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Chappy posted:

No one knows for sure yet, but good money is on or around 6/5. Sprint usually launches flagship phones in June.

1) HTC EVO
2) HTC Mogul
3) ?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

900ftjesus posted:

Pre was June 6th.

EDIT I think the Instinct was June too.

Forgot about the Pre because it turned out to be such a turd. What makes the EVO 3D a flagship phone though? The dual-core processor? The 3D? The fact that everybody wants to upgrade to it?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

El_Matarife posted:

One of my guys dropped his EVO4G on Tuesday. The screen's totally shredded. His line is available for an upgrade, but he's totally not sold on anything but the EVO3D or the next gen Galaxy II device as a real upgrade, and those seem too far out. Has anyone here swapped a screen on one instead of letting a cell repair place do it? The local places want $120 which is a little high in my opinion.
Won't sprint replace it for around the same price? I can never remember how that works.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I wonder what kind of crazy plan change would be required to get an iPhone on Sprint.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Did I miss a price being announced for the EVO 3D? If one hasn't been announced, it seems kind of foolish to preorder a phone without knowing price OR release date.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Hopefully after a little while they'll start selling on ebay for $250-$300 so I can sell my EVO and snag one. $499 unsub'd is a little too rich for my blood.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Eyecannon posted:

Battery life on the Epic Gingerbread ROM is ridiculous... 7 hours off charger and I'm at 85%.

Sitting at home on WiFi or out doing stuff and using the phone? I'd love to get that kind of battery life in everyday situations, but I doubt I ever will.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

change my name posted:

So, question for anyone that has an evo: should I sell my nook color (running the kindle app) if I'm getting the 3d? How is it for reading ebooks on?

Of course you shouldn't. Four inches is not great to read on. You CAN read on it, but it'd get pretty annoying pretty fast. Keep the Nook.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Wow, who saw that coming? They have no actual obligation to allow people to hack away at their devices yet they listen the vocal minority and open their devices back up. Good for them. I'm glad my last four phones have been HTC.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

spidoman posted:

If I buy a used phone does my 2 year upgrade get reset?

No, it doesn't.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Aside from "Samsung", is there anything that makes the upcoming SGS2/Within a worse choice than the Evo 3D? I like how thin the SGS2 is and I love the screen but being a Samsung product, I'm naturally afraid of it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Harminoff posted:

Any reason why I wouldn't be able to use data anymore? I'm on the original $30 sero plan. I haven't used that much data recently, so I doubt it is usage related.

You should probably ask Sprint.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Last June, I used my wife's upgrade to get my EVO and she's not the primary line on the account. Is there any way to make her the primary account and get the extended premier gold upgrade or should I just stick with my plan of getting a new phone on eBay?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

900ftjesus posted:

If it did work, I don't think you can time it correctly. Changes to the primary line take a billing cycle to change, or at least they did back when I changed the primary line on my account 2 years ago.

Well then I wish I'd thought of this a month ago. Oh well, I should probably wait to see how the Within does before buying a new phone anyway.

edit: especially considering supposedly Samsung gave an SGS2 to a CM dev.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Man, I liked it better when Sprint CS was inept. I couldn't get them to budge on giving me an upgrade credit (that I'm techincally not eligible for anyway). Why oh why did I jump the gun and buy my EVO on release day with my wife's upgrade instead of waiting until August 1st and buying it with my own :(

edit: oh right because I was using a Touch Pro2.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Zosologist posted:

I'm gonna use my girlfriends upgrade to get me an evo 3d, I assume theres no trouble with this? gonna turn her samsung moment (tehe) into radioshack for the 75 dollar rebate. Will I be able to activate the evo 3d on my line then give her my evo 4g to activate on hers?

Be careful. If her account doesn't currently have the $10 smartphone fee, using her upgrade will probably trigger it.

Edit: oh if you're giving her an EVO, then it doesn't matter anyway.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

The $10 fee is on top of SERO-P. SERO-P just allows you the use of non-SERO approved devices (aka anything nicer than WinMo 6.5) but you still need to deal with the $10 premium fee.

$50/line for SERO-P + premium data is, essentially, letting single-line users get the same price you get with 4-5 people with EPRP + :10bux: fees splitting a family plan.

I thought SERO-P people didn't have to pay the $10 fee because that's what the "premium" part was. Did that get changed?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

plester1 posted:

SERO-P lets you use non-SERO devices. You then need to pay the additional $10 for smartphone data.

Aren't smartphones the non-sero devices? :confused:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Q_res posted:

This really isn't the appropriate thread for why I won't use Android, but it can be best summed up in two words: gently caress Google

That doesn't seem to sum anything up :confused:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

As of this morning, Google Voice will not send text messages to my SMS app. I can receive them in the GV still, but no matter what settings I change, I can't receive them in an SMS app, even stock. Oddly, I can still send messages with SMS apps, but only receive in GV. What are the exact settings I need to be able to get texts the normal way?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Speaking of the EVO 3D update, has anybody that's unrooted not received their update? My father's EVO never prompted him to update and trying to update manually doesn't find anything either. Is there a reliable place to download the update from? After that, is it just a matter of putting it on the root of the SD card and booting into recovery?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Is there any way to for each the reactivation process other than activating a different phone and then activating this one again. It's my last attempt to fix my sms/mms problems before calling Sprint.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

How is it that us EPRP (and SERO I guess) people are so looked down upon by Sprint that we can't even activate different phones on the Sprint website without being told that we need a plan change, even if it's from one Android phone to another (and already having the Smartphone fee)?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Kreeblah posted:

Huh? I've got SERO and I swapped my Evo for my 3D on the web site without any problems.

Weird, some other people were complaining the other day, and when I tried to swap from EVO to Moment (it's all I have, shut up), it wanted a plan change.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

TLG James posted:

Is there an option that if you get a phone call to have the keyboard already up? It's pretty annoying to have to hit the keyboard button then 1 for google voice calls.

You could probably do this in Tasker but if you don't already have Tasker, it's probably not worth the money just to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Sorry for the double post, but I find this very interesting. My EVO can no longer receive text messages or picture mail. I've tried it with CM7, a fresh install of Fresh, and a fresh install of rooted Stock, and it doesn't work on any of them. I've done a PRL update and Profile update a few times, and I installed the newest radios, but nothing has fixed it. I switched my account to a Samsung Moment I have laying around and texting works fine, which pretty much puts this solely on my phone and not on my service. Is it possible for something hardware-wise to keep messages from coming in? I can still receive them via Google Voice (I'm integrated but I've tried disabling it) but not the normal way. It is completely baffling me. I'm out of my warranty period and don't have TEP so if it's somehow a hardware issue I'd guess I'm SOL.