Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Mark Larson posted:

We all have our own experience and our own preference, but when I was running an AOSP rom on my phone I really felt like it was a more basic phone. When I had Sense, I loved having the built-in apps and widgets, it really made for a much more functional phone. And most people I know with AOSP roms/phones used some ad-ridden poo poo from the market to replace the AOSP Launcher anyway. gently caress paying for widgets and stuff from the market to replicate stuff that Sense has built-in.

Also, capacitive buttons is definitely a plus. :laugh:

Another thing to consider is that you cannot replace the battery in the HTC EVO 4G LTE. I like having the option of an external charger and battery. Between this and the faster updates, I picked the Nexus. I have an old EVO 4G now, and not being able to get ICS for the past few months has been killing me. I guess I'm an OS whore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

jisforjosh posted:

Maybe it's because I'm on a new account? I honestly don't know how it works.

This is the reason. Sprint is waiving activation for new customers getting a new line of service only.

I'm not sure when it sold out, but when I checked the pre-order about an hour ago no more phones were available. I guess that means at least some people (including myself) aren't waiting for the EVO 4G LTE.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

tijag posted:

This isn't a sprint question per se, but I think maybe someone will be able to help with this.

I plan on getting my mom the Galaxy Nexus on 4/22 [assuming a store has it in stock] or order it from Wirefly or Amazon. When I get it, I would like to take the Google Wallet credit/bonus [$50 AFAICT] and apply it to my personal account. She will never use the NFC function of the phone, and I'm paying for the phone personally as a gift for her, so I'd like to get that money.

How will I go about doing this?

Not exactly a technical solution, but could you just sign up your mom and then buy yourself some gift cards with her account? I believe you can use Google Wallet at certain online retailers, so you can probably find something that you could use.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

tijag posted:

Just bought the Galaxy Nexus for Sprint from Wirefly for $149.99 [upgrade account/contract extension].

Hopefully you'll get the phone soon enough to take advantage of the Google Wallet promotion. Do they have an eta on delivery?

Also, I've heard that the contract terms are different for phones purchased from Wirefly than for phones purchased directly from Sprint. Does anyone happen to know the differences?

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

tijag posted:

All I need is to get the phone by 5/22 to get the Google Wallet promotion.

My mistake. I misread the promotion. I thought it had to be purchased in the first week...

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

DanAdamKOF posted:

I just wanted to say I lurked this thread and had preordered a Galaxy Nexus just fine last weekend, went from SERO 500 to Sero Premium, and had my phone on the 20th. I've bookmarked this thread, you guys have some good info here.

Quick question while I'm here, is it me or is there some sort of subtle pattern in solid-color areas of the UI? It looks like a JPEG compression or random dithering or something similar. This is part of the UI and not some defect in my display, right?

I'm not sure if it is normal, but I noticed the same thing on my Gnex. You can't see it on higher brightness, and I also think it is more noticeable because the resolution is much higher than my OG evo.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Jensen posted:

1. I miss T9 dialing that the HTC phones have.

You can fix this pretty easily by just downloading a new dialer off the market. Dialer One is a good one I've used before.

Jensen posted:

6. Battery life is worse than the EVO 3D. I don't think this is the OS though, I've been doing a fair amount of testing in this area. I think it's the SoC and/or radios in the phone.

My battery life seems to be slightly better than my OG Evo, but I'm not sure if part of the reason for that is that the battery was almost 2 years old in my old phone. That being said, I'm not having any problems getting my phone to last through an entire workday (14+ hours) with Juice Defender installed.

Jensen posted:

Off to burger king to try my google wallet.

I had a hard time getting it to work the first time I tried, and the teller was just looking at me like I was crazy. The second time, I slowly and physically tapped the phone on the paypass thing, and it worked.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Can someone post a few pictures taken with the Galaxy Nexus? I'm interested in seeing what the phone's camera can do.

I put five pictures I took on my GNex in my public album here, https://picasaweb.google.com/100939246550954797005/Public?authuser=0&feat=directlink . Here are a couple direct links:

Outdoor shot

Indoor shot

Frankly, the camera isn't awesome, but it is better than my OG EVO 4G so I'm happy with it.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix
So is there a good chance that 4G LTE service will be activated on 5/18 when the HTC EVO 4G LTE and the Tri-fi Hotspot are released? Releasing the Gnex as a 4G LTE phone with no LTE service seemed a little strange, but it doesn't seem like Sprint should continue to release additional LTE products without LTE service.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

tijag posted:

I got my mom a Galaxy Nexus, and she has the FD02 update, but her 3G speeds are so slow its absurd.

In an area with 3 bars [and 3g icon up] it regularly says 'connection timed out' while trying to download apps on the play market.

It takes maybe 3 minutes to download a map, a minute to search for an address etc.

It's horrible. Is this what people are typically experiencing with the GNex? I'm thinking of returning the phone and getting the EVO 4G LTE.

I think this has more to do with the Sprint network being crappy than it does with the phone. Sprint has not upgraded it's 3G network enough to keep up with the increased data usage of its customers. I'm guessing that sirbeefalot's fluctuations in speeds is due to peak usage times.

Sprint is finally rolling out serious network upgrades this year, so depending on where you are located, you may want to hold off on switching phones until the upgrade. I believe 3G network upgrades will be rolling out with the 4G LTE upgrades they are doing.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

tijag posted:

This post here : http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus/544385-no-3g-service-after-fd02.html

Is my experience. I had to reset her phone for 3G to connect. When it did connect it was insanely slow. like timeout constantly slow.

If this doesn't get better I hope that the Sprint store will just swap out the phone for a new one. One doesn't by flagship phones to not be able to connect to the network.

In view of all that, I take back what I said. It does sound like a phone issue. I don't think you should have an issue getting it swapped out at Sprint.

My Gnex speeds are slow but typically still about 0.3 Mbps, and timeouts are very infrequent.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

sanchez posted:

I think you can do it online through your account portal.

You can definitely do it online. I just removed TEP from my wife's phone since she now qualifies for a $150 rebate, and it took all of 2 minutes to do it.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

dundun posted:

I really wanted the Evo 4g LTE but after seeing this video concerning its inability to multitask, I can't believe HTC hosed up ICS so badly. Hopefully SG3 turns out better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Uo5f2vSxo

I'm sure they will have a fix for this pretty quick. It looks like there are some extra memory management utilities in Sense that are not playing nicely with ICS.

Edit - also, according to comments of that youtube video, this issue was addressed in a patch about a week ago

traslin fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 23, 2012

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

900ftjesus posted:

Sounds like a typical Android response, actually.

Even if you buy the Nexus, you're stuck rooting it on day one just to move your apps and settings over with Titanium. It's pretty terrible that Google can't figure out cloud syncing anything more than contacts.

Google has figured out how to sync app data across phones, but the developers have to implement it in each of their apps. For example, all of my Dungeon Raid data came over automatically when I installed it on my new phone.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Paul Proteus posted:

The multitasking issue has not been that big of a deal, although it definitely is present.

So my main concern with the whole multitasking issues is that I won't be able to do simple things like listen to podcasts while I am surfing the net on my phone. I'm assuming HTC is smart enough to not kill the Music app when it is running in the background, but has anyone noticed any issues with other media apps?

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix
4g is up and running in Houston:

http://imgur.com/9PQjP

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

falz posted:

In case anyone is curious, this seems to run perfectly fine, all hardware (gps, bluetooth, etc) works. There currently don't seem to be any Cyanogen features such as notification power widget. Seems like straight up stock Jellybean, y'all should try it out.

What is the word on 4G? I just got 4G on my stock phone, and I don't think I'm willing to lose it even for JB.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

mastershakeman posted:

I'm just super duper pessimistic. Does the original EVO have ICS yet?

No, and it will never get it as far as I know. Also, there aren't even any stable ICS ROM's for the OG Evo that I'm aware of. I'm pretty sure the ship has sailed on that phone, and I'm not expecting any usable ICS builds on it ever since there likely will never be drivers for it that work in ICS.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

TLG James posted:

I so don't understand the stock market.

Sprint lost a lot less than they were projected to lose and service revenue was way up. At this point, everyone is expecting Sprint to lose money as they decommission the Nextel network.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix
I keep reading all these news releases about how NV is rolling out, but my 4G service in Houston is terrible. More than half the time it just doesn't work, and the times it does work it can't stay connected unless I'm stationary. I know it is early still, but I have not been impressed at all.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

ExcessBLarg! posted:

On what device?

In general, this is a known problem. It looks like Sprint shipped devices with the LTE signal threshold set too high. Sprint just pushed out an update for the SGS3 (LG8) that corrects this. Don't know about the Galaxy Nexus.

Galaxy Nexus. It is supposed to be getting an update soon, so hopefully, the patch will help address some of the LTE connectivity issues I've been seeing. The update for sure disables universal search (thanks Apple), but I never really used that anyway.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

The Entire Universe posted:

You don't own a Sprint GNex, do you?

So do all the other GNex's have official updates at this point? I haven't seen anything about the other carriers releasing JB for the Gnex, but I don't follow non-Sprint news all that closely.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

traslin posted:

I keep reading all these news releases about how NV is rolling out, but my 4G service in Houston is terrible. More than half the time it just doesn't work, and the times it does work it can't stay connected unless I'm stationary. I know it is early still, but I have not been impressed at all.

I finally got the latest Sprint Gnex update, so I wanted to update my statement above. My phone is now connecting to 4G a lot faster and actually staying connected, so it looks like things are definitely moving in the right direction with the update. I did notice that it seems like it takes a while for the phone to switch back to 3G mode after losing 4G, and I may have the opposite problem of the phone preferring 4G too much now. Regardless, my experience with 4G is vastly improved, so I'm finally feeling somewhat validated in my decision to buy into Sprints 4G network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

gman14msu posted:

Has anyone been able to get the Jelly Bean update on their Galaxy Nexus yet? Or does anyone know how to get it quicker without waiting for it to push out?

Sprint

I got it this morning after restarting my phone. It prompted me for the update right after it booted.