Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

eightysixed posted:

So what's the deal with my SiriusXM app not working all of a sudden on my Evo 4G, and having to set the http proxy to 0.0.0.0 and port to 0 for it to magically work again? Neither Sprint nor XM had any idea what I was talking about. I found the fix/workaround online. :iiam:

Did you update anything recently? For most of us we had this issue months ago and had to do that same fix to get streaming to work again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mahoning posted:

Stuff...

How can you tell what line is the primary line? Because my wife's line was the primary line for years, and we used it last year to get my EVO. This was because my line last year had a upgrade date of 7/2011 while her line could be upgrade yearly. Now this what the Sprint site has to say:

- wife's line $75 available 7/1/2011, $150 available 5/01/2012

- my line $150 available 7/1/2010

WTF happen? Shouldn't my wife's line still be a full upgrade on 7/1/2011 until after the first of April? & why did my line change? I swear I know what was my upgrades was last year because I wanted a EVO bad. I had to do the old get the phone on wife's line and switch it to mine.

Only thing I can think of is Sprint switched the primary line to mine? If that is true my line's upgrade would change from 7/1/2010 to 5/1/2011 after the first of April, correct?

All I know is I have 5 lines. I upgrade one phone last year and one phone in February. So that means Sprints owes me 3 upgrades this year. I just hope that doesn't get messed up. I want to have the ability to get 2 new phones every year.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 29, 2011

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

decoy octopus posted:

If I were to add another line either through sprint or a third party like Wal-Mart or Best buy is there any penalty for taking the new phone and swapping it to another line as long as I keep the new line active?

I done it before. It was as easy as calling Sprint for 10 minutes once I got him to swap phones.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I am starting to question my decision to get a EVO 3D this summer. I looked at the Nexus S (of course not the Sprint version) at the Best Buy and it felt like a real nice phone. It was sleeker than my EVO and nicer display. I loved the size (it felt great in my hand) and how thin it was. Only thing I didn't like was the black glossy look. It was not bad, but I would of went different.

My major concern with the EVO 3D is battery life. I am concern because the EVO doesn't have a good battery life. I have tried different ROMs and kernels, but if I didn't work in a office where I could plug it in my EVO would never make it through the day. I know the EVO 3D will have a bigger battery but because of the new features I would guess it would be a net even or worst than the EVO.

Does anyone know what kind of battery life the Nexus S gets now? It shouldn't be that much different than the Sprint version for me since I don't use 4G. I guess what I am saying I think I would take a phone as powerful as the current EVO that last all day over the EVO 3D that only lasts until 2pm. Now who knows but I could be wrong and the EVO 3D have great battery life (I really do doubt it). Plus I am so over Sense now after using CM7. As stated before what if you can't perm root the EVO 3D?

One more question since Samsung is having nothing to do with the software on the Nexus S does that mean Google gets to push the updates?

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 4, 2011

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Jensen posted:

I think you are mistaken in your thinking about the EVO3D battery life. It should be better than the EVO. Things like the 3d cameras shouldn't have any effect on battery life if you aren't using them. The only thing that might impact battery life is if Sense 3.0 is running more background services that wake up the device and use data.

Talk time will definitely be better and standby time should be better. The new processor is based off of a 45nm die and therefore is more power efficient. It also has lots of tricks where it can conserve power by down clocking itself and shutting off cores.

I think absolute worst case scenario it's the same as the EVO, but I would bet it is better. Remember, Gingerbread is a little easier on the battery itself.

I agree with you on the actual physical characteristics of the Nexus though. I too prefer its smaller size and display.

I guess my main concern was the dual processor, but isn't the display 3D? I would guess you could cut that off also like with the 3DS (which is also getting complaints about battery life).

Chappy posted:

Don't forget that the Nexus S has internal memory, and no card slot. I know 16gb is enough, but when your port eventually fails or your phone just decides to stop working just because, and all the data on your storage partition is gone, don't say I didn't warn you.

Wow I missed that. That might of killed any love I had for the Nexus S.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Eyecannon posted:

I find it funny how the EVO is considered the best phone, but I find the thing way too large and sharp-cornered to keep in the pocket, and it's even too big to hold (full disclosure, I'm 5'7" and wife is 5'4").

At first I was going to say I guess it is just a matter of taste, but after playing with the Nexus S I really like the size of that more than the EVO. Still I don't find the EVO too big at all to hold. Full disclosure I'm 6ft 180, but I have big hands (I wear size 13 shoes). My wife who is 5'4" likes the size of it also (wow that can be taken different ways), but I am willing to bet once she plays with the Nexus S she will like it better. If anything I wish the EVO was thinner and lighter.

Also is this Carrier IQ thing in the Nexus S since it is the Google phone?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

jaku78 posted:

Is there any reason to get the Nexus S over the EVO 3D? I'm holding onto an old sammy moment that while it was a great phone, certainly isn't great anymore. I can't really decide. Oh, and am I making a great leap going from keypad to no keypad? I don't mind trying new stuff its just if I'm going to hate the drat typing experience on it I might just grab a shift right now instead.

I use to be the same way. That said once I went to a pure touchscreen I can't go back. The thin phone design wins over the keyboard to me. You just have to take the plunge and learn to like it (which you will). Trust me I have big hands so if I can learn to like a soft keyboard you can too.

Edit: Ozmodiar speaks my same feeling about the EVO 3D vs. the Nexus S. Also the Nexus S is freaking awesome to hold in your hand. Since the EVO 3D is pretty much the same size as the EVO 3D the Nexus S I prefer the size of the Nexus S over the EVO 3D. Also I am willing to bet it will have better battery life.

That said if the EVO 3D is rootable I am pretty sure I am going with it. Too much power.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 12, 2011

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My only bitch about CM7 is it drops 3G a lot more than the Sense ROMs I used. Somebody said that Sense ROMs doesn't show 1X and that is why it seems I am dropping 3G a lot more. Well after testing streaming services on CM7 and a Warm Sense ROM, Warm can hold a 3G connection without dropping while CM7 keeps dropping. I have to turn off data on CM7 to get it to go back to 3G most of the times.

Just to be clear I am on the edge of 3G in the boonies at work and this is not a really a issue when in town. That said when I am driving and streaming in the middle of Knoxville I get a lot more drops on CM7 than I did on Warm.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

brc64 posted:

You have to install some 3rd party software (or dig deep into some normally hidden menus) on a Sense ROM to see whether or not you're actually connected to EVDO. There flat out is no 1x icon on Sense ROMs. It will always report "3G" in the notification bar if you're connected to the wireless network. CM7, on the other hand, has separate icons for each, so it correctly reports your status.

I understand that. How I am telling is when I get error on my phone 'no data/internet connection' when I am trying to do something with data, or when I am trying to stream from my desk and CM7 is giving me issues but Warm doesn't, or when I am driving I drop what I am streaming 3 times when I can go the same route on Warm and not drop once. I am not paying attention to the icon, but to the behavior of my phone.

Still I love and will stick with CM7, and these issues only really happen when I am close to the boundaries of Sprint's coverage. It seems like Sense ROMs (for me at least) hold on better to 3G on these boundaries than CM7 does. That said speaking of the the notification bar with CM7 in these places I barely have a bar when with Sense I had at least 2. Maybe I need to try a new kernel.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

The Entire Universe posted:

While it isn't a given that the EVO3D will have a locked bootloader I can understand the concern given the trend and the various HTC-specific murmurings. However, do you really want to put all your eggs in a basket made of Samsung hardware over merely wanting faster updates? Samsung may have destroyed their record with software support, but that doesn't mean their hardware is a barrel full of roses either.

To say the Nexus S is exactly the same as a Behold or a Moment would be a flat lie, but Samsung has displayed a worrying habit of simply not being able to build a phone and put Android on it without having some major problems that only sometimes get ironed out through software updates. The fact that Google has the software reins doesn't change the fact that it's a Samsung-built phone using Samsung-built parts and until they release something that doesn't have spotty GPS functionality or a tendency to murder SD cards or just a fuckload of other minor issues (a cool one on the Nexus S was the rebooting in the middle of calls over 3 minutes long- apparently a software bug, if you care to look at the latest posts in that link you'll see people complaining about that poo poo clear up into this month) then I'm going to be avoiding them and advising others to do the same.

Google may be able to get right on fixing software bugs but fixing a hardware issue is something that takes longer and will probably cost you money. The EVO 3D may have a locked bootloader, but consider me sold on it barring confirmation of said lock or confirmation of a better phone coming out between now and the end of the year.

I am a HTC fanboy but come on. You know that HTC doesn't get off either. The EVO has a terrible battery life, has issues with the charger port breaking (killed my Oreo EVO), back light leaks (my current EVO is doing that), and registering inputs when not in hand. So every phone has it's share of problems.

My biggest worry about the EVO3D, outside of rooting, is the battery life. Forget the dual cpu or 3D, I would of taken a EVO with better battery life over the both of those.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 13, 2011

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

general chaos posted:

Wasn't it mentioned quite a while ago that dual core processors are designed to handle tasks more efficiently and would use a lower amount of power in the long run?

I hope so. I will believe it once we start to see reviews of the phone. That said if battery life is worse than the EVO good chance I am not getting one.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Duckman2008 posted:

It is extremely rare now a days that I actually use my kickstand.

I use it every day at my desk. I will miss it with the EVO 3D.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My daughter needs a new phone (her Palm Pre died). I am shocked to see that Amazon still has the Arrive for $50 while Sprint has it for $199. I was going to get her a Shift but the Arrive for $50 might be too good of a deal.

Edit: That is $50 is you are a new customer ($140 upgrade). Tease!!!

Amazon does have the Epic 4G for $89 if you upgrade. I know the Epic gets some hate but for a 12 year girl who just wants a Android phone wouldn't it work? Did it ever upgrade to 2.2? Or should I just spend another $60 and get the Shift for her?

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 25, 2011

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

sanchez posted:

We moved a while back and have been getting 0-2 bars, vanishing text messages and calls going to voicemail.

I called sprint retentions today, they picked up before it even rang which was a bit weird, the guy immediately offered to send out an airvana for $0.

Thanks, thread!

I wonder if they will do this for your job location. My 3G coverage at work has just turned awful. Something has changed in the last month. I original thought it was CM7 but now I can't keep 3G coverage on any ROM. Sucks because a month or so ago I had no issues.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Wow I just found the Epic 4G for $50 if you upgrade using the Radio Shack web site. I never thought I would buy anything Samsung (outside of the Nexus S), but this might be too good of a deal for my daughter.

Oh 12 year old with a Epic 4G? Crap my daughter's friends are rocking EVOs, iPhones, etc.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Nexus S and not even close. (unless you are my daughter and yes the $60 Epic is just perfect for you).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 27, 2011

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Bioshuffle posted:

Oh god, upon doing more research I think I want to wait for the EVO 3D. Dual core processor in a cell phone? Ability to record 3D videos? Is there a conservative estimate on when this phone may hit the market? June? July? August? If the battery life will be addressed it'll probably be worth the wait. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the same boat, trying to decide between jumping on the Nexus S or waiting for EVO 3D. The wait is going to drive me mad!

All signs point to June. I have a feeling that as long as the EVOs keep on selling like this we will see a new EVO every June. The only warning I would give you is no one really knows about battery life yet. Yes signs point to better battery life, but still if you don't work in a office or have the ability to charge your phone during the day it worry me some.

While my wife is going to get the EVO 3D (her reward for rocking my Hero the last year) I think I might hold off upgrading myself. Why? For the first time in a long time I am still satisfied with my cell phone a year later. Yes the EVO is not perfect but it is still a pretty good phone. Urg I say this now but I bet once I see her with her new toy I will have to have it.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I think it's hysterical when I go to someone's house that has children, and the kids barely even say "hello" or interact with anyone else. They're just sitting there playing on their iPhone or DS. I'm wondering how that will carry over into their adult life, not to be an old man or whatever, but sitting there for hours and playing on a little screen can't be totally healthy for your physical or mental development.

Adults are just as bad as kids (if not worse in some cases) when it comes to Smart Phones. Nothing like going to someone's house and people are showing each other apps. In my house we have rules about phone usage when the family is together. It is a no no.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

SURPRISE WITNESS posted:

Just got an Epic 4G from Radioshack.com for $50. Is this phone tits? I'm going from a Palm Pre, so I figure anything is better...

Let me know how long it takes for them to get the phone to you and if you have any problems. I am planning to get my daughter that same phone from there next week and I want to make sure all is good.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Ha my wife's line is the permier line and if we was gold the upgrade date would of been 7/1/11. Not a big deal because we got 3 other lines up for upgrade on 5/1/11 no matter what, but I wonder if they will let her have it a week early since 6/30/11 looks like the end date of the extension.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

SURPRISE WITNESS posted:

If you DO want the Epic, it is only $50 on Radio Shack's website... Jus' sayin'.

Yes but for myself I would pay the extra $150 to get the Nexus S without even thinking twice. As I said before I am getting the Epic for my daughter but she is 12 and will think it is worth $500.

Edit: Just curious after reading some of the post on here I take it that there is no way to stop text message from showing up in the GV app since I made my Sprint number my GV number? I did turn off the notification in the GV app but I still don't need to be double text messaged.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 29, 2011

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ozmodiar posted:

If you also turn off Inbox Sync, you won't get texts in the GV update until you refresh.

You know someone is going to be busted for cheating because they forget to delete the incriminating texts in the GV app.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Just curious what is the feeling on the MDPA protection plan by Radio Shack vs. TEP? According to their web site no deductible.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Currently watching Game of Thrones on my EVO with the HBO Go app. Freaking rocks.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Duckman2008 posted:

$10 Says it is June 5th.

Why is it always on Sundays? Question now is will it be $250 or more?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

jaku78 posted:

Why do you believe it is going to be that early in June? We were hinted the Nexus S was going to be an April deal and it turns out May 8th. Now we are hinted it will be a June release. What is making your decision on this?

Because of the release of the EVO last year I would guess. Also Sprint never hinted at April for Nexus S. It was leaks about the Best Buy training that people took as April.

Also has anyone started taking pre-orders on the EVO 3D? I was looking at the other Nexus S the other day (I wanted my wife to know what one is before she picks her new phone) and if the Sprint version was white I would be tempted to get it for myself. I am still mad about losing my white EVO to TEP.

Also my wife said EVO 3D all the way. I can wait to play with it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

jeeves posted:

What's the draw of this Evo 3D phone? Is it just because it is a super beefy phone, or are that many people really interested in THREE DIMENSIONAL IMAGING TECHONOLOGY on their phones that they will never ever use?

Dual CPU, 1GHZ Ram, qHD screen, and a chance to play with Sense 3.0. Why do you think people upgrade every year to a new iPhone? More power! I would rather have a Nexus S but the power of the EVO 3D is just too much to ignore.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ozmodiar posted:

Agreed. This is also the reason why I'm leaning toward the Nexus S over the EVO 3D...though, as I've said many times before, the EVO 3D is A LOT of hardware to pass on.

I'm also heavily considering forgoing my upgrade in June and waiting for the next Nexus phone. They announced the Nexus One in January 2010, and the Nexus S in December 2010, so it would stand to reason that they'll announce the next Nexus phone sometime around December 2011-January 2012. Since I'm perfectly happy with my EVO (and thanks to Cyanogenmod 7 I've already been running Gingerbread for months, and will surely get Ice Cream (Sandwich?) as well), I have little reason to upgrade anyhow...other than the fact that I want a new phone just to have a new phone.

Another great reason to use Google Voice.

I just wish we knew who will get it first and who is going to make hardware? My guess it is Motorola's turn.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

900ftjesus posted:

Just my two cents, I'm not telling you the Nexus S is bad, just that it's a bit long in the tooth for a 2 year contract.

Yes my one problem with the Nexus S. If it had a dual processor I would be all over it. That said the way our family plan falls the parents get a upgrade every year. So I could pick up the Nexus S and get the next big phone of June 2012. But what do I gain from switching to it from a EVO? Better screen, battery life, better style (I like the look and form big time over the EVO), & having a pure Google phone. Just don't know if that is enough to pay $200 for one year.

TiCK posted:

I had the choice between the Samsung Moment and Evo 4G last upgrade I made (from an HTC Touchpro). I wanted the slide out keyboard so I went with the moment. It's nice and all but I had a bad day so I ordered the Evo Shift. Is it going to be able to run a new version of android or is it stuck with what it came with like the Moment? It's hard for me to google because it seems like android 2.3 was renamed 2.4 or some such poo poo.

I am pretty sure all the EVOs are going to Gingerbread this Summer.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 3, 2011

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
People who ordered the $50 Epic from Radio Shack Online how long is it taking for you guys get a ship status? The one I ordered is still awaiting inventory. I guess they are selling fast with such a low price.

It still confuses me why this phone is $139-$149 everywhere else (even at the Radio Shack store). I will never completely understand why Sprint allows Radio Shack to do this or how Radio Shack makes money off it.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I saw last night on Android Central that Best Buy is now taking pre-orders for the EVO 3D, but they are not advertising it yet. I guess they are waiting until the Nexus S is released this weekend before going on a marketing blitz. I might drop $50 on one for my wife this week.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

OptimusMatrix posted:

Ok so I just realized that Google Voice does not have an empty all button for the trash so if you've been using it as long as I have be prepared to click about a thousand times to clean out your trash folder.

Welcome to my hell from last week.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

SURPRISE WITNESS posted:

Update on Radio Shack Epic 4G order..

This morning mine was 'was awaiting shipment of phone' and now it is 'sent to Sprint for approval'. I haven't received any emails from Sprint (I placed the order for my daughter on Friday).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Hate to use the S word, but I was looking at the Samsung Galaxy S2 and looks wise it blows the EVO 3D out of the water. It might be the sexiest phone I have ever seen. Super thin, dual core, and 4.3 inch super amoled screen. I love thin phones and this one takes the cake. It is the first phone I seen that look wise blows away the iPhone. I know all carriers are suppose to get one and please God let Sprint get one without a hard keyboard (pretty please!). I think I am going to official wait on my upgrade until I hear what is going to happen with the S2.

Funny I hate Samsung and love HTC.

Edit: WTF am I thinking. Can't go Samsung unless a Nexus, but gently caress that funny is sexy. I just don't like the hardware look of the EVO 3D that much.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 5, 2011

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

900ftjesus posted:

"It's looks so good on paper, I want to get one."

Son, you've been Samsung'd.

Ha I know. It is like seeing a sexy woman far away only to find it she is a cross dresser when you get up close. I just wish HTC would make better looking phones. You do have to admit the Galaxy S2 is one of the sexiest looking phones ever.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

diospadre posted:

Just buy an iPhone instead.

So you are saying that Android fans or Sprint users are not allowed to have phones that are not only power houses but look great? I am on my 5th HTC phone and I will be the first to admit that a lot of their phones are not pleasing to the eye. While I think the EVO is not bad at all I find the dual camera look on the back of the EVO 3D awful. I just hope it looks better in person. If I could combine the looks of the Galaxy S2 with the software and support of HTC I would have my perfect phone.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ozmodiar posted:

I have a dicsount through my employer too, but it activated just fine for me...

It's really weird how temperamental these things can be...

Yes I have been on the 27% Citibank discount for almost 10 years and I was able to activate it also.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
About the launch of the EVO 3D I have to say that if they release it in late June or after it would be bad timing with vacation season starting. Even early June is cutting it close. I just don't see them going later than June 5th or 12th.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

ninmeister posted:

This is fantastic, thank you both. I would assume it would be safest to flash back to stock just in case?

Please flash MIUI and just confuse the hell out of them.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
With all signs point to the EVO 3D bootloader being locked good chance I am going to wait and see which Galaxy 2 Sprint gets. If it is one of the thin sexy ones and it is unlocked I think I might go that route. I know Samsung software sucks but it will not be on it long at all.

Edit: it is my understanding that if the EVO 3D is locked you can not permanent root it? Is that correct?

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What would you put on in it's place? CDMA Galaxy S phones have alpha-quality CyanogenMod ports at best precisely due to the poo poo software situation.

It's possible. They may be able to defeat the NAND lock but not the bootloader signature, in which case it's comparable to Motorola devices. I'd bet that if they make any headway though they'll unlock the whole thing.

Now since my last 2 phones have been the Hero and EVO I know nothing of the ROM issues. I will do some reading on XDA, because I am un-informed.

That said I will play with my wife's EVO 3D when she gets it, and if Sense 3.0 is great and I can at least take the Sprint stuff off I might go for it. That said the SGS2 is so loving sexy looking that it makes the EVO 3D look like a brick.