Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm gonna repost this question from the last thread since it got closed.

quote:

I never really investigated Google Voice before. I just changed my Voicemail provider to them. I don't think it's the new Sprint system that will become available. Any idea if when it does it will make a regular voicemail notification on the phone? I went ahead and did it now because I will be out of the country for six weeks, so getting messages through email is quite useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ozmodiar posted:

You can get a notification of a new voicemail 3 way from Google Voice:

1. Through the Google Voice App. (Which also displays the text transcription, and you can play the voicemail from within the app. No need to "call in" by holding #1 on your dialpad).

2. Via Gmail.

3. Via SMS.

If you have a smartphone, you can do any combination of all 3. If you have a dumbphone, you can still get notification of a new voicemail via SMS, and you can then call in to your Google Voice number and access your voicemail that way.

I've started getting the SMSes now. Pretty cool. For Windows Mobile there is just the web based interface, no app. But it works about the same.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ozmodiar posted:

Glad to help. I've been on GV for a long time now, and I'm quite fond of it.

The integration with Android is seriously awesome though...and it was one of the top reasons I switched to Android.

I haven't upgraded my phone from a Touch Pro yet. I will when I get back from travel in May. I was hoping the Sprint / Google integration was being released right away so I could sms too, but I can't complain. I set up my laptop to check Gmail.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mahoning posted:

No, they are there until you use them.

My eligibility dates are Jan 1 2009 and Nov 1 2009 :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ozmodiar posted:

Hopefully Sprint/Google get around to rolling this out to me soon then...

I'm looking forward to trying this out.

Me too!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kalibar posted:

I think the Samsung issue is more complicated than people give it credit for. ...

I've heard Samsung is making the WP7 team's life hard, especially with the patches. This is second hand info though so don't quote me or anything.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I wish I got invited to the google voice integration beta!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I doubt it. They already have a roaming agreement. Is there a stipulation in this new ruling that roaming is at full speed? That it is provided for free?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yes. you sound like a douche

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I did end up buying that HTC Hero

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS

And of course, rooted already. Huzzah!

Loaded maps, it found me within 6 meters, I touch-screened over to a local restaurant, clicked it, it brought up the info, I clicked the phone number, and it called it. I literally orgasmed.

That's gross.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's great news about the Google Voice integration, since I will be in Europe for another few weeks :)
I know this is a specific question that you may not know, but will any SMS in queue to be delivered to me get erased if I convert or will I still get them when I return?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The device type is listed in the sprint ESN database.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If you want to access your MMS online, there is always http://www.sprint.com/picturemail

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That'll be cool.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's April 26, how do I switch?:(

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I see I missed a call from my voicemail access number on Tuesday. Any idea what that is?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mtr posted:

Woah.

Now when you say "lost their upgrade", do you mean the people that were eligible for upgrade on 4/1 that lost it because of the change. Or will the people who bought the Evo in June 2010 also be eligible in June 2011 now?

also check on sprintusers.com, I saw a big thread and a customer service person coming in to help people with this.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Astiesan posted:

I guess I'm kind of submitting and opinion and asking for feedback, as I said I'll be picking up Sprint with a fresh contract in 1-2 months. I really want a hardware keyboard though. I remote desktop back home a lot, and trying to use any kind of remote desktop software with a software keyboard is nigh impossible.

Any thoughts?

Edit: I'm also anxious to see how the GV works out. I pretty much only give out my voice number now, so I'd probably take the option to have a separate number and forward it, but GV is still my primary number.

What about the HTC Arrive?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yessssssssss! Finally got Sprint/Google Voice integration. Wish I had time to mess with it tonight.

Do you have to do anything with the handset to enable it?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is your question do you have to do something to be invited to the integration, or do you have to do something with the handset after the integration? If it's the latter, all you have to do is sign out of Google Voice and sign back in. Also tweak your settings how you want them.

Latter. Cool.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I just got a general announcement email to the address I entered on the Google Voice / Sprint announcement page. It says integration is ready.

It says to do this:
If you already have a Google Voice account, you can enable either option by logging in and clicking on the "Enable Google Voice on my Sprint mobile phone" link next to your Sprint phone number in Google Voice settings.

But no such link exists. :(

edit: Or if I use the get a Google Voice Number method it just sits there saying "Checking for Available Setup Options" forever :(

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 3, 2011

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ozmodiar posted:

Google and Sprint responded to the Google Voice issues:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/06/google-and-sprint-respond-to-google-voice-integration-issues/

Still no answer on why this happens to me:

:(
No matter what I put in the box it just sits there forever on this screen.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Comcast Mobile has nothing to do with Verizon. Actually, Comcast Mobile uses Clearwire's network, of which Sprint is a major investor.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If your Hero is broken why do you want to get another phone from HTC?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I guess, I just want to know what people think about this. I got an HTC Titan as was recommended a long time ago but it was limited by the low RAM, then a HTC Touch Pro replacement as it was deemed superior to the Titan, but have had a lot of problems with it, especially the keyboard. Somebody said, oh the Touch Pro 2 will be better, it is not as rushed a design and blah blah blah, but I see people having trouble with that so I have become quite skeptical.

When I get back to the states I will probably buy an HTC Arrive, I am just prodding to see what people's feelings are on this.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
cool. i just dont want to be disappointed again

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

nate fisher posted:

I guess my question is it possible to suppress 3G like the person at work told me, and how legal is it to pull SMS/MMS out of the air? I am thinking about getting the Airrave (is that what it is called?) to see if that helps here at work, but I could be pissing some people off I don't know about.

Signal jammers are illegal. They can interfere with emergency services so are muy uncool.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

nate fisher posted:

Even if it is the government doing it to protect security in some highly sensitive areas?

I guess the federal government can...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ZeroAX posted:

I went from a Titan to TP1 to TP2 and now I have an Arrive. The phone is very solid and runs wonderfully. The UI is very smooth. There is no screen lag switching to landscape or texting which plagued all those old phones. I've never had any performance issues with the phone.

With that said Windows Phone is a completely new operating system so some of the things that Android or even Windows Mobile have are not yet on the Arrive. Most of them are minor though, like no custom mp3 ringtones, flash support or tethering. A large update is coming out and the end of the year though, which will add a lot of features.

Sweet. Well, the OS is supposed to get 500+ new features (per Steve Ballmer), we will learn more about them tomorrow.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Did anybody catch if there are new Windows Mobile handsets for Sprint coming?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ZeroAX posted:

No new phones were announced, but there are supposed to be a few new phones coming out this fall with the release of the Mango update, though the hardware specs won't be that much improved. There are rumors of a HTC Mazda coming to Sprint, which is basically a slightly bigger Arrive without a keyboard.

HTC Mazda? ?

I guess you can use your Sprint phone to buy things at the cash register or something (NFC payments), does anybody plan to use this?
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/24/google-and-sprint-team-up-to-take-your-digital-dollars-with-new/

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
poo poo like that is popular in japan

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Y'all keep calling the 3D a gimmick, but I think it would be cool to take 3D pictures and video.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Man I wish the HTC Arrive wasn't $200. :( My Touch Pro is now officially broken and I don't think it's worth repairing once more.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Matlock posted:

The Motorola XPRT Worldphone is on Sprint for $129, Amazon for $99.

Looks solid, but I have to wonder about rooting capabilities. Isn't it just a retooled Droid Pro?

How are Motorola phones now? Do they have a better reputation?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Stevie Lee posted:

It's $99 on Amazon Wireless.

yeah but I have a SERO account so I don't think I can go that route. If I'm wrong let me know!

Here's a working link to that leaked roadmap.
http://mobile.engadget.com/2011/06/06/leaked-sprint-roadmap-outs-lg-optimus-slider-and-blackberry-torc/

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ahahahahah oh my god. I put a little piece of tape under my battery and my Touch Pro is fixed. I can't believe I didn't try that before. It doesn't even look like the battery is loose but I guess the contacts are bad or something.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
Just because the battery is working doesn't mean it's fixed. Sorry, guy.

It does not randomly shut off when knocked anymore. The problem turned out to be the battery. It would shut off if you tap it hard enough. I guess the contacts are worn or something.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
I was just implying that it's a really lovely phone.

I thought maybe you were but tone is difficult to tell over the internet sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
There is also a thread on the sprintusers.com forums.