Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
On the topic of calling retentions to get an Airvana unit, do they handle SERO accounts or should I call the SERO number for that? I moved a few months ago and my new apartment building absolutely kills my cell reception, so I'm hoping they might be willing to help me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

averox posted:

This is actually why I still keep a task killer handy. I haven't had issues since using CM7 but on Fresh and Sense I've have applications go haywire and required forced closings.

Does that have anything over the built-in task manager? Settings > Applications > Running services lets you see what you have running and the CPU time everything's used, plus you can kill things right there if something's gone haywire and is pegging your CPU.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

ShowTime posted:

What are the chances a custom ROM will be able to utilize the 3d features and be able to toggle them on/off?

Quite good for the utilization part. Dunno about turning it off, though.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

900ftjesus posted:

Now I truly see no purpose in Premier Silver.

But you still get that sweet accessory discount. :v:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I really wish there was a filter to search for just 3D videos.

Try this.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I admit, I don't know how it works anymore since everything's instant-rebate right now. I last upgraded when mail-in rebates were the norm for both new and upgrade customers, and the difference was that the two-year upgrade was $150 off and I was eligible for the $100 mail-in rebate that new customers got as well.

So it's not just $75 off at one-year vs. $150 off at two-year, but $150 + $100 (or more) in rebates. I suppose someone who just upgraded to the Evo 3D can comment on the pricing there.

For the 3D, it's the $150 upgrade discount and a $200 instant rebate, bringing the price down from $550 to $200.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Vykk.Draygo posted:

How is it that us EPRP (and SERO I guess) people are so looked down upon by Sprint that we can't even activate different phones on the Sprint website without being told that we need a plan change, even if it's from one Android phone to another (and already having the Smartphone fee)?

Huh? I've got SERO and I swapped my Evo for my 3D on the web site without any problems.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
It's up now, actually. But I'm going to wait and see what kinds of problems people have before running it myself.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Oh so it is, haha. I had to shift+F5 to get it to show the new page.

I'm still in my 30 day window so I'm going to give it a shot.

edit: worked like a charm, quite painless as it did everything for you.
edit2: it seemed to have failed in flashing ClockworkMod but I got recovery working just fine by flashing that TeamWin recovery manually.
edit3: also it's not particularly pointed out but to get the serial number for the beta key just run the exe and it'll ask. Make sure you have USB debugging on as well. :)

Yeah, I had pretty much the same experience just now. I'll need to flash the SU ZIP after my backup's done, but it looks like we're set. :)

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Has anybody here had issues with cold booting their 3D while it's plugged in? Ever since I got it (even before rooting the thing), if I forget to unplug it before starting it from being completely shut down, it refuses to boot until I pull the battery and unplug it. This apparently has happened to a few other people, but I'm just curious as to whether anybody else has seen it.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

ThermoPhysical posted:

This slightly terrifies me for some reason. Probably because they bought qwest and qwest is horrible here.

I'd never heard many good things about Qwest, but I have no idea what CenturyLink is like. This is probably really bad news, though. :sigh:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Dr. Faustus posted:

Something just started on my phone a couple days ago (my very very new EVO 3D): I'll get a notification and check to see what it is, e-mail, message? It's a Plus sign on the notification bar and when I pull it down to look at it, it's "You may have just won an iPAD2!" So far I am getting crap like this a few times a day.

Is this normal? Can it be prevented, and if so, what's the easiest way to put a stop to it?

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.brosmike.airpushdetector

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Kynetx posted:

Because of the big investment/commitment to Apple, have there been any speculation if this will diminish the number of Android/WP7/BB/etc smartphones that will be available?
I got no beef with Apple, but I'm pretty heavily invested in Android.

Me, too, and I'll be pretty pissed if Sprint stops carrying good Android phones because of the iPhone.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

td4guy posted:

Update for that subsidized iPhone apple.com malformed store ID hack link from a few pages back... It worked! FedEx tracking shows my phone just shipped from Shenzen, CN.

I still don't get it. What's so special about the phones some people got from that link?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

FISHMANPET posted:

Unlimited data for phones is like an all you can eat buffet. Some don't eat very much, and you make a lot of money on them. Some eat a lot, and you lose money on them. On the whole you make money. But when you throw tethering in it's like bringing farm animals into the buffet.

On Sprints end, they know unlimited doesn't mean unlimited. They can look at usage and see how much data "Unlimited" uses. Tethering makes that an unknown quantity.

But gently caress banning it on bucket plans. If I want to feed my caviar to a horse, I'll loving feed it to a horse.

Remember the days when cable companies and phone companies said you weren't allowed to use a router and had to get a separate line for each computer you had connected to their service? This is basically the same thing.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
You'll be paying the extra :10bux: on top of SERO Premium for an iPhone because it's not a 4G fee. It's a high-end phone fee.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Turnquiet posted:

Just do the official HTC unlock and flash clockworkmod and superuser. Sense 3.0 is neat enough that you don't really need to swap the rom for something like cyanogen. With root you can adblock, tether, and do all the best stuff that comes from unlocking.

On the other hand, I get 30+ hours off the stock battery on CM7.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Turnquiet posted:

Well then, that is an argument for a new rom. Either way, the path to CM7 will require him to unlock and flash recovery. He can just have a rooted stock as a pit stop on the way to greater things.

But does CM7 work with MHL out, 3D, and all the other stuff?

Not yet, no. Eventually, it probably will, but for now, MHL, 3D, and WiMAX don't work on it on CM7.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Via Twitter:

toastcfh posted:

making progress! ICS running great on the Shooter and Speedy. #AgainstAllOdds

I'm really looking forward to getting ICS on my Evo 3D.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Has something changed with the loyalty account value data on the Sprint site? I got curious as to what they have me currently rated at and it's coming up as 20. I could have sworn it was out of 10.

I really can't think it's terribly great since I'm a SERO freeloader, but I'm honestly not sure how to interpret this.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

brc64 posted:

My Evo 3D stopped receiving calls today. Like, callers would hear ringing until it went to voicemail, but the phone itself would never register a call. Text messages were fine and I could call out, just couldn't receive calls.

I called Sprint from my wife's phone and they had me reset some stuff and basically reactivate my line. While I waited for all that, the support guy asked me if I'd installed anything recently. I said that I installed the most recent update, and he said "oh, you mean the ice cream sandwich update?"

I guess that's a step up from the last Sprint person I talked to who didn't know what ICS was, but still, wtf. There isn't a phone on Sprint that has official ICS yet is there?

That happened to me a couple months ago (the error 16 thing that some people had happen immediately after rooting, except I hadn't done anything to my phone in a while). I had to flash back to a Sense ROM, let them run their reactivation thing, and then leave it until the next day for it to actually get sent out. I still don't know what caused it.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Apparently Qualcomm released ICS driver binaries for the entire Adreno 2xx line. The Evo 3D, meanwhile, happens to have an Adreno 220 for the GPU.

Now, with that said, I'm not seeing anything in the archive specifically mentioning the 220, but the drivers are supposedly for the entire 200-numbered line. I flashed this ZIP that somebody made of it and it seems to have improved things somewhat on that ICS build that toastcfh released, but I'm not entirely sure it's not a placebo. I figured I'd mention it in case anybody else wants to give it a shot, though.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

ratbert90 posted:

Sell the E3D and buy a Galaxy Nexus at full price? It should only be about 200$ after you sell your E3D

Is there confirmation somewhere of what the unsubsidized price is going to be for the GN? I'm thinking about picking up either that and the Evo 4G LTE, but I've been having trouble finding anything other than subsidy prices for them.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Looks like I'm getting a Galaxy Nexus. I've pretty much stuck with CM on my previous phones for AOSP, but, uh, that's not really going to be necessary with this since it's already AOSP. Does it offer any significant benefits? Or, does this AOKP thing that I keep hearing about? XDA's being typically unhelpful when it comes to finding out what they've actually added on to AOSP for ICS.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

900ftjesus posted:

Sounds like a typical Android response, actually.

Even if you buy the Nexus, you're stuck rooting it on day one just to move your apps and settings over with Titanium. It's pretty terrible that Google can't figure out cloud syncing anything more than contacts.

That's literally the only reason I rooted my GN. If I could have moved over my app data some other way, I would have.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Galaxy Nexus users: Somebody already hacked up the JB release from IO yesterday to run on the toroplus. I just installed it, so I have no idea whether anything's broken other than MMS, but it's incredibly smooth so far.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Unfortunately they couldn't do the apropriate change through the corp store directly, so they had to call it in. At first the girl who was handling the change over the phone thought I had to move to EPRP, but they figured out the right trick is to temporarily change to a more expensive (EPRP?) plan, apply the upgrade, then switch back to SERO Premium 500 with the appropriate LTE designation. Once they figured it out, it went smoothly after that. (Which was far better than when I tried to pick up an Epic in store on the day SERO Premium came out, the corp store was unsuccessful in calling in that change and I ended up having to order online.)

That last point is particularly frustrating as, until they fix it, SERO folks are going to be stuck with LTE devices and can't activate other ones without calling in I guess. I haven't tried calling in the activation yet as the lines (including the SERO/EPRP number in the OP) are crazy busy at this point in the day.

Huh. Weird. When I got my GN, I just called the employee number and let the rep know what I was trying to do and she got my WiMAX SERO plan switched over to an LTE SERO plan directly. I haven't tried going the other way, but I don't know why you couldn't if you really wanted to for some reason. You'd definitely need to call, though, since the web site doesn't work very well with SERO plans any more.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Pizer posted:

You can activate the Evo 4G LTE on a 40+10$ SERO Plan right?

From what i'm reading online it seems like you have to call telesales and get a code change which leaves the plan otherwise intact. When you try to activate online it tells you to change to a regular plan.

Yeah. The web site's broken when it comes to switching codes for SERO plans. I called the employee support number and they took care of it in five minutes and activated my Nexus.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
So, Jelly Bean source dropped today, as did proprietary binaries for GSM (maguro) and Verizon (toro) Galaxy Nexuses. Was the Sprint one (toroplus) included? Nope.

JBQ posted:

As far as toroplus, the situation is unchanged: there are no plans to
support it as a target device for custom AOSP builds.

JBQ

Thanks, Google.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

falz posted:

It appears that "FH05" in this thread is the full thing. I'll test this out.

Edit: all fine. I did the "Odin" method which fully wipes the phone. In the "Odin" software, you put the large .tar.gz file in the "PDA" spot, the lte.tgz in the "PHONE" spot.

Or you could do what I did and just extract the partition images from the Odin archive and flash 'em with fastboot. The userdata image still wipes your sdcard data, though, since it's part of the same partition, so back up anything you need off of there first.

Edit: Oh, and this ROM doesn't seem to automatically reflash recovery, so I was able to keep TWRP without having to disable that. That made it a lot easier to root since I just needed to flash the Superuser ZIP after I was up and running.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 7, 2012

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I haven't tried CM10, but it seems pretty much how you'd expect. It's stock Jelly Bean and everything works.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Maybe it's just me, but the new Galaxy Nexus radios seem to have helped. I used to pretty much universally get signal strengths of around -106dBm, but since I upgraded on Thursday, it seems to sit at around -96dBm. It's still horrible, I know, but it does seem to be an improvement.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Speeds in Seattle are OK, too. Nothing to write home about, but 1mb/s to 2mb/s isn't bad.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Duckman2008 posted:

Where are you in Seattle? I just visited and got poo poo speeds almost everywhere. It was usable for general internet , but for instance my hotel was downtown and I got 100-200KB down. I could not stream video on my phone anywhere I went.

Yeah, that's about what I meant. 1mbit/s to 2mbit/s. I probably wouldn't try streaming video on it unless you have a WiMAX phone, though. There it's more like 10mbit/s to 14mbit/s (or, it was when I last had one).

As far as location goes, I spend most of my time in Bellevue and the Seattle business district, so that's where most of my experiences are. I do know that WiMAX coverage is quite good in the area, though. A friend of mine was able to use his NS4G on it as his primary connection for a couple months without any problems.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

rhombus posted:

My wife is ecstatic to be rid of her TP2 today. I'm trying to call the SERO line to get her $30 plan bumped up to the $50 one so we can activate her new iPhone 5. I've been waiting on hold for over 20 minutes now. Do they keep regular business hours?

EDIT - Gave up after 40 minutes.

Last I checked they had Monday through Friday hours and that was it.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

ninmeister posted:

I just got my Galaxy Nexus extended battery from Sprint. Should I have to do anything like wiping battery stats or will the phone figure it all out on its own?

Battery stats are automatically wiped on boot anyway, so you should be good to go.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Assuming this is solid (and given that it's sourced from CNBC, it probably is), NV could become interesting in the next few months.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/14/3503246/softbank-buys-sprint-20-billion

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

nikosoft posted:

I switched my preferred network mode over to LTE a few months back after I got my S3 and I don't think I have ever seen the LTE notification come up. Like, ever, no matter where I go. This is in northern California (not Bay Area), east Portland, Seattle, Las Vegas, Orange County and I'm now in Missoula, where Sprint 3G doesn't even seem to exist. Am I just incredibly unlucky to always be somewhere that doesn't have LTE, or could something be seriously wrong with my phone?

There are only a few areas that have it right now. So, I wouldn't say you're unlucky, but odds are you are never anywhere that has it. I'm pretty sure it's even worse than WiMAX coverage at the moment.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

ninmeister posted:

Quoting myself on this 4.2.1 update. Holy crap is it bad. I had to pull my battery 4 times today because it would sleep and never wake up. This is not how cell phones should work. Flashed back to 4.1.1. Now I get what all the GSM people have bitched about. Good lord.

I'm really starting to feel like I dodged a bullet here. I don't really use Bluetooth, so I'm not affected by the broken homebrew implementation Google used in 4.2, but I also haven't been bitten by any of the other weird issues like that since I installed the update a couple weeks ago.

I've still got my 4.1.1 backup, though, just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

td4guy posted:

I just donated to that S4GRU site and got access to their live maps.

4G hasn't been turned on in Vegas anywhere. 3G upgrades only for now (but no 850MHz SMR yet). 4G will probably have to wait until backhaul is in place. Or something like that.

St. Louis has a grand total of three cellular towers listed. One with upgraded 3G equipment (but no 850MHz SMR yet) and two "in progress" with no details.

Any chance you could check Seattle? I found an LTE connection at the airport on Thursday, but I haven't seen anything else around here. They were originally supposed to have launched by now, but I've heard their contractors have been repeatedly loving up.