Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

goku chewbacca posted:

The Optimus S isn't much of an improvement and isn't worth burning an upgrade, in my opinion.Only really a faster GPU. You should try rooting the Hero and installing CyanogenMod7 and overclocking.

Or buy a eBay/Craigslist Optimus and selling the Hero. Might only cost you $50.

There's a pretty big difference between a Hero and an Optimus. I bought a Hero on SA Mart here, played with it for about 10 minutes, and even with Cyanogen Mod 7, I just couldn't handle it, it was so terribly slow.

Used Optimus, at least in my area, seem to go from about 125-150, nowhere near $50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

god this blows posted:

Is there really going to be a need for a dual core phone?

E-peen bragging rights at the moment.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

The Playbook for sprint (wifi only still) got delayed again release wise. For those very few holding their breath over it.

What is a Playbook for Sprint that is wifi only? Isn't that just called...a Playbook? Why would someone wait on a "sprint version" when they can just buy the non sprint version, if theyre the same thing?

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

ShowTime posted:

I don't know about EPRP plans, but I do know that the Nexus S isn't going to be a Best Buy exclusive. I was at my local Sprint store talking to them about the phone and they said they would have plenty of them available on Sunday.

I believe Best Buy is saying it's a nation retail exclusive, which just means Radioshack and Walmart and the like aren't getting it for awhile. Sprint should still have it.

Fun fact: Apparently the Nexus S on Tmobile was a huge deal; only Best Buy had the Nexus S. It wasn't in Tmobile stores. Only about 1/3 of Best Buys actually carry Tmobile. The other ones have to special order it and have it sent to your home. The best part is, we have them in the store, they're all the same, just can't activate them if we're not a Tmobile location.

Google is absolutely loving retarded if they think people really want "FREEDOM OF CHOICE" and will pay $530 for an unlocked phone. We sold a whopping zero Nexus S at my location because of this. At least the accessories will go to use now.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Financially it makes more sense to do so on EM+, but yes, Google figured out quicky with the Nexus One that you can't sell a phone in the US without a subsidy option.

Which is why the Nexus S was also available with a $199 subsidy price for a two-year T-Mobile contract through Best Buy Mobile since day one.

If your store associates were unaware of the subsidy pricing, then yeah, I can see why you sold none.

1) The average consumer will look at pricing on the phone. Why get an Epic when a Transform is $50 less? Yes, this is stupid. Yes, we tell them why, but some people are incredibly cheap.

2) You misunderstood me. Tmobile is only carried in 1/3 of the Best Buys in the nation, but the Nexus S was carried in ALL of them. If you were 2/3 of the stores, you could only sell it unlocked for $530. Thus, we sold zero. Even though there is only 1 sku, we could not sell a Tmobile customer a Nexus S as an upgrade, we would have to order them and have them sent to their house, even though they're in our store :)

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
If Sprint is gobbling up data spectrums, will that help their voice network in the future if things switch to LTE for voice?

Ever since the $10 premium data, Sprint is getting to be a harder sale for me. ATT already does unlimted mobile to mobile with a texting plan, and Verizon does it in certain test markets, which I imagine will be nationwide soon.

Verizon 700 minutes, 2 smartphones, unlimited texting/mobile calls = $160, where Sprint would be $150. The coverage is incredibly different between the two carriers, too, and LTE blows Wimax away. While you get some neat stuff like GPS, Sprint TV, with Android and more cloud based services coming out, I don't think those are as big selling points to most people nwoadays.

I got Sprint for a Pre originally, but I might switch later down the road, as I don't really see myself sticking with them, and I seem to get about .5mbps at all times even with 5 bars of 3g where I live.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

I truly think motoblur is the absolute loving worst android skin you could ever imagine. You people think Touchwiz is bad? Try explaning to a customer why your text messages go to 8 different apps

I hate dealing with Samsung phones and if anyone brings me an Intercept/Transform to work on I groan, but I think Touchwiz is the best Android UI

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

thelightguy posted:

Ech. There's a reason Samsung and HTC are the only two manufacturers worth a drat. And not even HTC given the current situation with the bootloader.

What is all the Samsung hate here anyway? Is it really all just because of the botched 2.2 rollout? The Epic 4G appears to be almost universally a better phone than the EVO Shift, despite sitting at the same price point.

People who sell Samsung phones hate Samsung with a passion. The amount of weird, glitchy issues that only pertain to Samsung is overwhelming. At my store, Epic returns compared to Evos is probably 10:1.

Had a girl where her Intercept took about, no hyperbole, 5 minutes to boot up, and then another 2-3 minute before it is actually useable it's so laggy. She didn't have any crazy apps running. One time it wouldn't boot up after about 10 minutes, so I had to pull the battery and try again. Just a piece of poo poo phone made by Samsung.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Have any examples the Epic glitches that prompt return?

I'm familiar with the issues that are known around tech circles, but I'm curious what "regular folks" run into that are significant enough to prompt return.

Mainly massive lag, and I'm not sure why. Sometimes when I look at a customer's phone, it's just absolutely ridiculous how laggy these phones get. That and a lot of them still seem to have GPS issues. Lot of touch issues like sliding the unlock button takes several tries.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

I just had my 2nd glitch where the messaging app randomly screws numbers and won't send out text messages (I think because it somehow loses the area code). Deleting the thread and starting a new one doesn't work. My only solution is to download handcent and make that the default messaging app, I think that works.

And I have another Epic being returned tomorrow, I believe the customer's explanation over the phone was something like "I don't know if I can handle another day with this piece of poo poo phone you sold me." Here's hoping she wants the Evo Shift.

Epics are free this week at Best Buy. I mean, it's an amazing deal... if you have no issues. But I know half those customers are going to have issues :(

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
haha that's reflective of our current consumerism and pretty sad. "I know this phone just came out a week ago, but wait for the next one". That's getting kind of bad.

What's hosed up is I know kids who buy phones out of contract when new ones come out. Who the hell can afford to keep up in the wireless game?

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Didn't Tmobile's Nexus S have insane 3g problems when it first came out?

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

I guarantee you perception and coolness is the main reason Windows phone doesn't sell. I have had guys that match perfectly with that phone, only to back out because they are afraid of their friends making fun of them for not getting an android phone.

To expand on this, when I worked for Best Buy Mobile, I once showed an ATT customer an Android phone, as he was really curious to get his hands on one. He said everyone in his house used a Mac and had an iPhone, but he wasn't interested in it and wanted to try something else.

His wife eventually wandered over and saw him with his hands on an Android device, and she basically started yelling at him that he's not getting that. Really, I mean yelling. She was incredibly upset and stormed off. The guy, meekly, thanked me and ran off after her.

So loving sad.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

uapyro posted:

I guess I have to hit up a Sprint Repair Store tomorrow. The Best Buy return date just passed (It's 30 days from the purchase of the original phone, right? It won't reset because I exchanged it because of a defect?).

My Evo3D for some reason has to be plugged in just right, otherwise it either won't charge, or it'll actually make the charger quit working.
My car charger has an LED on it, and it'll actually turn that off.

It'll also randomly ask about a Dock mode, even though this is a regular car charger; it doesn't do that to any other phone's I've tried with it.

Edit:

Which stores stock the iGo car dock? Corporate? Third party? Or most?

No, for an exchange it's 30 days from your last exchange; not the original purchase. I believe Radioshack does iGo, Best Buy doesn't.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

uapyro posted:

I saw your post, and called Best Buy asking to speak to mobile, there they said 30 days from the last exchange. I get up there and they say no, that the new girl didn't know that was an exception. So you are right good sir!

I definitely miss seeing people I recognize / know anything at all about a phone, because the guy that looked at the phone also said that my loose USB port randomly causing the Car Dock thing to pop up with the original charger was because USB Debugging was on.

On the bright side, went by the Corp Sprint store that was close to there, and they will have me a new(refurb I'm guessing) one coming in the mail. I bought the iGrip car dock there, and got it for $34 and some change, when it's normally $39.99+tax. Looks like that Sprint Premiere Silver finally does do something useful.

Sorry to hear that. At my Best Buy, we swapped them out all the time. We never gave anyone poo poo about that. Sucks to hear

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

uapyro posted:

Even after the first 30 days, without BestBuy insurance?

No, only if it was another exchange. Buy a phone and 3 weeks have to exchange it because it messed up, we'd reset the 30 days essentially in case that one messed up.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Those aren't Apple fanboys. Those are just lovely customers. Sorry you work retail.

Apple customers are always the worst when it comes to cellphones. You'll have good and lovely with anything, but Apple outweighs the lovely, entitled customers 10:1. They're either young kids with Daddy's credit card, or rich trophy wife with Daddy's credit card. Everyone else seems pretty chill for the most part.

I dreaded every iPhone launch. Luckily I don't work at Best Buy Mobile anymore, so I didn't have to deal with the 4s fiasco.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Delivery McGee posted:

My brother was amazed at the processing power of my Evo compared to his iPhone 4s (he and mom got them together on the family plan, I went Android so I could hack it). I know the Evo3D is better than half the computers in my house, but is the iPhone that much worse?

Day to day use iPhone will feel much faster, despite slower hardware, It's the same thing with Windows Phone, e,g, general scrolling and such will be much faster on a 1ghz WP7, than a 1.2ghz dual core Android phone. Application launching and such is usually faster on Android, though.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

falz posted:

Shift is the best android keyboard phone on Sprint. Lots of ROM options too, runs CM7 5 or you could get an un-shitted up stock based ROM that probably fixes whatever issues existed on the official Gingerbread update.

Is it still broken stock Android 2.3? I never really understood what happened, but a tremendous amount of people were really upset about it.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Fyi they went about it in the absolute worst way possible. And as much as I like to think I work miracles, this job isn't that loving hard.

It's really amazing. Sometimes I would just be a normal dude, give good information, and not lie to people, and they were UNBELIEVABLY amazed and grateful.

Then another time, I had a customer come in for an upgrade on some old, crazy plan of like 2 lines unlimited for ~$350 a month (no idea how). I told him he could save ~$150 a month, and he was like "grumble grumble whatever grumble grumble*

I really cannot stress how stupid most wireless sales people are.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Chappy posted:

It's DBR not DVR. And someone else can help you it just depends on who you get. I replace DBR phones if I can't find why it was flagged that way in the first place.

Also the only phone worse than the transform is the intercept or the zio. Holy poo poo do they suck. I love android but hate it at the same time because it allows for absolutely terrible phones to exist.

People wonder why I hate Android so loving much.

I sold phones during the Moment/Hero/Zio/Intercept/Transform era. Selling Android phones is cool, using them is alright I guess, but supporting those piece of shits? Fuuuuuuuck that

Surprisingly, the Optimus S was cool in my book :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent
Jul 20, 2004

Leathal posted:

I wish I could figure out a way to stay with Sprint, but I feel like I'm on the government cheese of wireless carriers at this point.

I was a HUGE Sprint fan, and they were my go-to carrier to sell out of VZW/ATT/Sprint at my store.

But ever since the $10 premium data per line, their laughable 4g service, and their horrible 3g speeds, it's just not worth it. I was amazed when I pulled 3 mbps on ATT 3g just driving down the road.