Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
When my contract is up in September, I would like to move my two lines (currently on the 1600 minute EPRP family plan) to my boss's plan (same EPRP plan) and retain my existing numbers. I assume this should be as simple as calling the SERO/EPRP number in the OP, and the two new lines should get the new activation discount for new phones, is that correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Hdip posted:

You should be able to move the two lines to your boss's account right now. The upgrade eligibility date will not change. So in September when your contract is up you will be eligible.

Is that so? Sprint's losing a good 80-90 bucks for the next 5 months or so if I do that, which is why I thought it wouldn't work?

Otherwise that would be boss, I'll call them up as soon as I get the other account info.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Alman posted:

So I played around with the EVO3D yesterday for a little bit. It's about what you'd expect - an EVO with a 3D camera and display. I didn't get to play around with it long enough to comment on battery life or performance, but I did take a couple pictures with the camera. One thing I noticed was that the 3D effect was really weird if you accidentally blurred your shot. It's really kind of a trippy experience, but if 3D photos aren't your bag it's really easy just to switch to the 2D camera. I [i]really]/i] hope some sort of support for 3D menus comes out because that would be sweet

I'd really like to see where AR apps go with access to 3D camera hardware. For some reason I think that would be really loving cool. Also 3D support in video chat so you can show someone around with the rear cameras and have it display in 3D! Obviously they would have to have a capable device, but still.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

jeeves posted:

What's the draw of this Evo 3D phone? Is it just because it is a super beefy phone, or are that many people really interested in THREE DIMENSIONAL IMAGING TECHONOLOGY on their phones that they will never ever use?

I'm mostly interested in the power and the bump in screen resolution, but honestly the 3D thing has some potential in my mind for nifty new ideas with augmented reality, and with video chat. I think it would be a really neat experience to video chat with someone around the world with a pair of 3D phones/devices, and be able to show them your location with a 3D feed.

Plus, someone was showing off their $500 Fuji digital 3D point and shoot camera last year at a party I went to, so it would be cool to be able to just bust that out on my phone now. :v:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'm more concerned about the fact that the EVO3D seems to rest on the lenses' protrusion when you set it down. I think I'll be getting some kind of "bumper" style case (that one with the kickstand in it looks tempting, too), or at least be really DYI tacky and stick a couple rubber feet around the backside. :v:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Forgot about the Pre because it turned out to be such a turd. What makes the EVO 3D a flagship phone though? The dual-core processor? The 3D? The fact that everybody wants to upgrade to it?

Its the successor to last summer's flagship, and (on paper, anyway) is the top of the line phone for a while?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Lowen SoDium posted:

So the HTC Sensation has a signed bootloader which makes me worried that the EVO 3D will as well. I have really really grown to like CyanogenMod and was hoping to get it on the EVO 3D, but this doesn't bode well for it.

What's the reasoning behind OEMs doing this? Is it to protect their own code or just to prevent custom ROMs?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Man, the Nexus S 4G is a really nice looking phone, just got to play with one for a second while waiting for the Sprint store guy. I wish I could get that exterior with the EVO3D's guts, running some alternate reality webOS that's super smooth and has developer support. :sigh:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

The major plus would be people NOT asking me when Sprint is going to get the iPhone. Or do I have cases for the iPhone. drat do I hate those questions now.

Otherwise cool for those people who will only buy Apple, but it isn't exactly offering anything new over Android phones.

I think I'd like it as an option to consider. I've invested in iOS already with my iPod Touch, and the main reason up until now that I personally haven't considered the iPhone has more to do with carrier choices than the phone or OS themselves.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

900ftjesus posted:

Sense is also looking pretty mean, the lock screen isn't crap anymore, their Exchange email client is tons better than AOSP, so I'm not too concerned about being stuck on Sense for a while.

This is where I'm at. I'm really stoked for this phone now, and Sense 3.0 looks good enough in the videos I've seen that I'll probably end up just leaving it stock for a good while. Eventually I'm sure I'll get the bug to gently caress around with it, but honestly it looks like it will do just about anything I would want right out of the box.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
Getting antsy waiting on an announcement about the Evo 3D.

This wait is loving killing me. Every time I look at my Pre I think about how incredible its going to be to have nearly 4x as many pixels and a whole extra inch of screen space in front of my face. :v:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

falz posted:

Does a family plan have to have phone #s all in one area code? I'm considering adding my sister to my existing family plan but she doesn't live in my state.

I added my two lines (previously on our own EPRP plan) with area codes from western New York to my boss's plan (also EPRP) which was two Burbank/SFV area codes without incident.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

falz posted:

Thanks. Did adding the other lines extend your 2 year agreement? I suspect it would if I take a subsidized phone.

Just the act of moving the lines between plans didn't change anything except lose Sprint the extra ~$100 a month for the last 4-5 months of my original contract (that still doesn't totally make sense to me, but whatever!) I didn't have to pay any kind of ETF, my upgrade date is the same (July 1st of this year), etc.

Once I upgrade either of my lines with a new phone subsidy in July (or sooner, if I can work it), they will be extended another two years independently of the boss's two lines.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
You're basically just buying a spot regardless of your upgrade status, correct? So in theory I could go buy a preorder and beg for a couple-weeks-early upgrade whenever the phone releases? I guess what I'm wondering is whether my upgrade date will disqualify me for preorder or not.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm still a bit busy at work so sorry if this was at the previous page but what's your upgrade date again?

Both of my lines should have an upgrade date of July 1st. So operating under the baseless assumption that the phone releases some time in early-mid June, I figure I could maybe sweet talk them into selling it to me with the full discount 2-3 weeks early, and would consider plunking down the $50 to get one at release instead of waiting until my upgrade date and possibly having supply issues. My girlfriend isn't as NOWNOWNOW about getting a new phone, so we'll probably just wait for July 1st for her and get her a Nexus S.

Also, we're on EPRP, so that probably throws a monkey wrench into everything anyway. :v:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Lowen SoDium posted:

I think you are probably right about it not being as popular as the EVO 4G. Most people who are into the whole super-phone thing and are on sprint have purchased EVO 4G phones in the last year and are not eligible for a upgrade at a full discount yet. Also, while the EVO 3d is a pretty big upgrade specs wise, the EVO 4g is pretty much past that plateau of performance that most people will not appreciate a performance increase over what it offers. That is to say, the EVO 4g is fast enough for now for most apps and for most people.

Hopefully this will help me pick one up more easily, which would be nice. I'm coming from a Pre, so I'm expecting it to feel something like the Wright Brothers might have felt riding the space shuttle.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

Its not in the system yet (they load it June 1st) but anyone that was premier with a June upgrade should be eligible, so you can get a full upgrade.

I completely forgot about this. I was premier and had a full upgrade available since last October (which went away in April with the silver/gold tiering), does that qualify me for this? Maybe I won't even have to call retentions and ask for an early upgrade.

I had a loving dream about this phone last night, the gently caress is wrong with me.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 23, 2011

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Hooray, Scarlet at retentions was able to move my upgrade to June 1st. Probably going to preorder an EVO3D tomorrow or the next day, just one question: the brick & mortar store should be able to sell it to me with my EPRP, yes? They had no problem moving my lines from one EPRP account to another, so surely they can do something as simple as activate a new device (and its $10 extra fee) on the account? I'm not the primary name on the account anymore, but I have the PIN and "secret question" answer.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Any Sprint goons in the LA area know of a corporate store doing preorders for the Evo yet? All I got at the one I stopped at after work was "its not even out yet." Yes, that would be why I am interested in preordering one.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'm hoping for sooner rather than later in June... I keep getting the urge to throw my Pre out of a fast moving vehicle whenever I try to do something really complicated like stream Pandora or look up directions as a passenger and expect Maps to open before we've gone 10 blocks and passed our destination.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

spidoman posted:

So a Nexus S off contract is $600. Early termination fee is $200, so if I really wanted to I could start a new contract, cancel my new contract, and keep the Nexus S to add to my existing account for $250 or $300? Surely Sprint has a way of stopping this?

I've never done it myself, but from what I understand if you buy the phone/new contract through Amazon like that with their discounts, if you then cancel the contract within something like 6 months or whatever, you've got to either return the phone or you're charged the dollar difference from Sprint's price + the normal etf, ending up basically breaking even with what you would have paid buying directly from Sprint. Not 100% on this though.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Chappy posted:

OK so I got the Nexus S for free via our advocate program. I want to yell "pull" throw it in the air and shoot at it with a shotgun. It has such a lovely radio in it I'm considering really activating my lovely Blackberry style again until I can swindle my way into a 3d. I sold my Evo so I can't go back to that. But yeah its basically useless to me as a phone.

Its like a hot girl with herpes. You have to decide if its worth it.

So is this likely a hardware problem, or something that could be fixed in an update? I've been considering one for my girlfriend, but if this is going to be an ongoing thing then I don't even want to go there.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
That is kinda strange. They're not listed under "Sponsors and Partners" either on the E3 site.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Damnit I don't want to wait another 3 weeks...

Hopefully I can pre-order a 3D now at the local corporate store, at least.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Jeratain posted:

AnandTech has some hands on impressions with the Evo3D, as well as some basic benchmarks: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4416/hands-on-and-benchmarks-of-two-msm8x60-phones-htc-sensation-4g-and-htc-evo-3d/1

Looks really great. One thing I haven't noticed in any reviews, can you hold down the camera button for some length of time to wake the phone and launch the camera app in one step? I know about the lock screen launcher stuff, which is probably 95% as quick but to be able to pull it out of my pocket and be launching the camera app while I bring it up to view would be really sweet.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

You can have up to 10 lines on one consumer account with good credit. Only 5 upon starting up, but it can balloon till 10 based off of whatever measurements Sprint does. I have a customer who seriously has about 12-15 kids, and he has 10 lines under his name and 5-8 under his wife's.

Any idea of what the timing might be for this? My boss was interested in up to 6 lines total, his and his wife's mine and my girlfriend's, and two more in the not-too-distant future for his kids. I was under the impression that the 5 line limit was pretty set in stone, so he'll be pleased to know that's not necessarily the case.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

900ftjesus posted:

Sprint employees: Can I use a Sprint gift card for an online order?

Seconding this. The early availability online is making me rethink preordering in store, but if I can use the card online then why not? That way I'll have a fallback if I'm not eligible for early ordering.

Also, is it going to be ALL premier customers, or just the 5 people with Premier Gold? :ohdear:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Apparently corporate stores doing pre-orders for the EVO 3D are jumping the gun a little, according to a manager I spoke to today. I guess phone allotment for each store is a set number, so they're supposed to wait until they know that quantity before they start selling pre-orders, to avoid overselling and pissing people off on launch.

He said they should be finding out on the 13th the quantity they're receiving in the first shipment, and took my info to let me know when they know.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Good to see the Sprint iPhone rumor still has legs, I'll get the EVO3D this year and when I'm ready for another upgrade there should be a plethora of things to choose from.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Got my preorder in, hopefully the store will be able to either nudge the upgrade up a week, or hold the phone for a week. I had called retentions and she told me she was able to bump it up a month (should have been eligible on the 1st of June with the change), but its showing up as July 1st again. Eh, I can wait another week if need be, especially with a reserved phone.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Alman posted:

I feel like a 3D gui will be developed at some point, but for now it's just pictures, videos, and apps.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the glasses-free 3D tech can only be viewed in one orientation (in the EVO 3D's case, landscape). Not that this totally precludes a 3D UI, just that it would only appear 3D if you were viewing it in landscape. Again this is just a slightly educated guess, so I might be completely wrong.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

spidoman posted:

If I buy a new phone on a family plan is there just one $10 smartphone fee, or is there a fee for each line? Am I going to throw $50 on my bill each month by upgrading one phone?

Its per line. If only you upgrade to a new smartphone on a 5-line plan, the increase would be $10. If all 5 people activate a new smartphone, the increase will be $50 total, $10 per line.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

diospadre posted:

Does anyone else still find it funny that there's a Sprint branded Nascar app pre-installed on every phone?

Its funny in the sense that I don't give two shits about NASCAR, but Sprint is a pretty major sponsor so it makes sense.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

zer0spunk posted:

My upgrade is due july 1st, but I'm pretty sick of my current device.

I called the retentions line in the OP about a month ago about bumping up my upgrade to June 1st (22 months for me is on July 1st as well), and the CSR basically told me that they don't like giving away anything to EPRP customers because we're already getting a deal, but that this once she could move the upgrade as I requested. It showed up for me as June 1st after that, until a week or two ago when it reverted to July 1st for whatever reason. I've still got an EVO preordered, and I plan on just bugging the manager at the store about it either when I go to pick it up, or when they call to schedule my appointment to pick up. I figure they'll either be able to override it in-store or just hold the phone for a week for me or something.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I've said it before, but I'm hopeful that developers will utilize the 3D cameras for some AR apps. It'll be a limited install base for now (there's what, one other phone with 3D capability in the US? Anything else besides the Optimus 3D on the horizon?), but I think it would be a cool enhancement to AR to have it be 3D.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

nate fisher posted:

Someone told me that if you take away the 3D it is the EVO done right this time. You agree with that?

What was done "wrong" with the EVO?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Honestly the EVO could outright call me a douchebag in 3D once a day and still be better than my Pre, so I'm still very excited for next Friday. I was supposed to get a call to set up an appointment for pickup, I hope my store hasn't dropped the ball. :ohdear:

change my name posted:

For the love of god, be less stingy with your period usage. I beg you.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 16, 2011

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Chappy posted:

Not one bit.

If I were to go into a Sprint store that (for the sake of argument) had a review unit, and ask them if I could see it, what are the chances they would oblige? Or is it a strictly employee's-eyes-only sort of thing?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

big mean giraffe posted:

That's not 120hz TVs, that's the lovely filter crappy manufacturers put on by default. 120hz shouldn't effect regular programming, and won't do much more to a 24fps movie than smooth out a lot of jerky motion.

That's kind of the problem, in my case at least. I've come to subconsciously expect that kind of motion with television and movie frame rates, and when a 120+ hz set smooths all that out, it looks really odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I think my Pre realizes what's happening soon. Stuff is suddenly not opening, every function of the phone has hosed up in the past week temporarily and I think the crack on the front is growing.

This is gonna be a long goddamn week.