Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
Anyone know when the Sprint/Google Voice thing goes live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

fagalicious posted:

I'm sure I know the answer to this, but if my sister wants to add her fiance to her sero premium plan is her only choice switching to the new referral family plans or is there a chance they might let her add a second sero premium plan to the account?

I called some number last year and was able to clone my SERO account to my wife. I believe it was the employee number. I can't remember how many times I didn't have success before I finally got them to do it.

This was where I found out about it, and used what was listed on there to do it:
http://100.slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=931400

You might need to read the first page, and the later pages to figure out what works, if it still does work at all.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Ozmodiar posted:

Almost everyone I know who had a Blackberry/Palm/etc. with a hardware keyboard swore they "had to have it!"...almost every single one of them, within 3 months, stopped using it almost completely.

If there was an identical evo device, but with keyboard on Sprint I'd love to have it. Not the Evo shift with the smaller screen and slight differences, but an Evo with a keyboard added to it.

I always used it on my TP2, and even 9 months later, whenever I need to use my wife's phone to text, the keyboard came out without having to even think about it.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

No more GPS issues with CM7,.although you.may need to change a sprint setting or two in your phone (I forget what setting it was). Once I did that it was fine.

I went from the latest Fresh, to CM7 final yesterday. Besides doing the clear settings thing on the install from ROM manager, I didn't tweak anything. I went to test GPS out, and it was pretty much an instant lock for me.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Have him call the number in the OP (retentions) and they should give him a free airrave assuming he has no spending limit. It actually shouldn't affect him even if the Sprint map shows good coverage, I have seen scenarios like that and retentions doesn't seem to care. And finally, him living in a different address than his family is not a big deal either, that happens I lot. I've seen a family plan where they got one free Airrave to cover the home, and then the kid moved to college in a crap Sprint area so they gave a 2nd one for his place.

Would that only work on a family plan? I'm at my parents a good bit, and they have basically no signal at their place. Mine is just two phones in my name, not a family plan.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Hdip posted:

Can you assign a secondary email to one of the numbers?

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=cjlWRDFTWERkZEIxUzVjSmNsN0ExU1E6MA

There's where you can do it, I've used it 3 times so far, maybe 4th time is the final.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=2d70d04e6241089f&hl=en

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

That is correct, and yeah just call retentions about it.

I'm guessing no luck for someone who was going to get their upgrade with Premiere on 7/1 who has been with Sprint a little over 6 years?

I remember before premiere they'd bump up your eligibility date 2 weeks or so, would I be able to get in via that?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Bicarbon posted:

I filled the form out on Friday, and got an e-mail today that the change was completed.

BUT you can't forward your current google voice number to your current sprint number once you make that sprint number a google voice number. Hopefully that makes sense; basically you can't forward from a google voice number to another google voice number, even if the latter is just a sprint number that has this new full integration with google voice.

Any clue if it would work to port the number to a new e-mail address, then link it to your sprint number (as a non-mobile phone maybe?), THEN do the google/sprint integration?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

pliable posted:

Can any of y'all recommend me an extended battery for the Nexus S? I found one by this company called Seidio, and another by Mugen Power, but I don't know if I can trust them. Thank you guys <3

I have the Seidio 3500 for the Evo; that's a fairly reputable company. Back when I had the Mogul, or maybe Axim PDA, Mugen was a good company (I think they were maybe one of the best battery manufacturers out?)

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Wonderllama posted:

Ok, so I finally signed up for Google Voice, and used my same sprint number, and the voicemail etc is great, but I dont have the text button? Man, one of the main reasons I wanted to get Google Voice was for the convenience of texting from my computer. Does anyone else have this problem? According to the Google matrix I read, since I have Sprint, I should be able to use my number and get texts, but nope

Can you get a screen shot? Also, it may work to remove your sprint number, and do it all over again. A friend of mine had to do that 3 times to finally get everything to work right.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Wow, who saw that coming? They have no actual obligation to allow people to hack away at their devices yet they listen the vocal minority and open their devices back up. Good for them. I'm glad my last four phones have been HTC.

Same here. Mogul, TP1, TP2, and an Evo. They pretty much just guaranteed my next phone to be an HTC phone now.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

No idea, I guess you could call tech support at 877-735-8405. Maybe also try signing onto your wifi network?

Mine also has me at around 25 to 30 miles away, and it's always the same spot. Even having WiFi on doesn't change my location for weather.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
I just had some awesome service from Sprint.

My upgrade date with Premiere before it tiered was supposed to be July 1st. Talked to someone at the number ((877)775-4886) referenced in this link:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1093232

And they said they'd submit a request to have my eligibility reset to June 1st of this year since I was so close to date of the change.

I'm pretty happy; instead of waiting until May of 2012, I should be able to get a phone in June of 2011.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

RodShaft posted:

I also have an airwave question. I heard they hook up to your internet connection. Does it use your bandwidth, or is that just to get some info from the internet? My roommate gets no reception in my basement, So I was thinkin about getting one for her, but not if it sucks up all my giggalobytes.

It uses a certain amount if a Sprint phone is accessing data over 1x or EVDO. Also a small amount for voice calls as well

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

change my name posted:

Went in to order my 3d today, 2 interesting things: Apparently I have to wait until tuesday because non-personal activations aren't happening until tomorrow, and also that the signal booster costs 10 bucks a month to use. I thought it was free?

The Airave is supposed to be about $5/month, but they put a credit of $5/month on the phone, making it's cost $0.00. You may just need to call and get another operator and say how you have horrible signal where you are at.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

fagalicious posted:

When I went to check out the 3d a few weeks ago, the 3d didn't work well with my vision, it looked like those book covers they used to have on children's books where moving it would change the picture between two pictures. Instead of popping out I just saw the image change if I moved the phone. I'm guessing that eye sight is probably the reason for difference in opinions on the 3d.

It really depends on a few things that I've noticed. Some images do a lot better at showing the 3D effect than others.

You have to find the right distance, and the right angle as well. If you look at the screen, and focus on it, then it'll also help a lot.

The last thing would be the screen needs to be as smudge free as possible, and it also needs to be somewhere that's not insanely bright like outside. If you see yourself in the screen due to the brightness around you, it'll also detract the ideal effect.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Yes, check monoprice.com, $4 a pop, order 2 so you have a backup.

Do you happen to know if the basic Seidio case for the 3D will fit in the iGrip case that Sprint is selling? I rather have one designed for this phone; plus from the looks it won't block the camera which is a plus.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

900ftjesus posted:

That's fair, Evo 2 would have been a much better name. They really did a pretty stupid thing putting the 3D feature in the name.

I think the better option would have been to consider the Evo Shift the Evo 2, maybe as an additional side name like the Evo4G was also the Supersonic. Then the Evo 3 could also go by the same principal with an optional D at the end.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
I guess I have to hit up a Sprint Repair Store tomorrow. The Best Buy return date just passed (It's 30 days from the purchase of the original phone, right? It won't reset because I exchanged it because of a defect?).

My Evo3D for some reason has to be plugged in just right, otherwise it either won't charge, or it'll actually make the charger quit working.
My car charger has an LED on it, and it'll actually turn that off.

It'll also randomly ask about a Dock mode, even though this is a regular car charger; it doesn't do that to any other phone's I've tried with it.

Edit:

Which stores stock the iGo car dock? Corporate? Third party? Or most?

uapyro fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 1, 2011

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Rent posted:

No, for an exchange it's 30 days from your last exchange; not the original purchase. I believe Radioshack does iGo, Best Buy doesn't.

Thanks! You just saved me from having to drive about 40 minute out of the way to go to a Sprint repair store. I miss the days when there was one 10 minutes from me. Then 25 minutes from me, and now it's a lot further :(

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

This is incorrect, it is 30 days from original purchase (think 30 days from day you signed contract) via any Sprint/big box channel. If you want to try and exchange it, go for it, I just would be really surprised if they did the exchange.

I saw your post, and called Best Buy asking to speak to mobile, there they said 30 days from the last exchange. I get up there and they say no, that the new girl didn't know that was an exception. So you are right good sir!

I definitely miss seeing people I recognize / know anything at all about a phone, because the guy that looked at the phone also said that my loose USB port randomly causing the Car Dock thing to pop up with the original charger was because USB Debugging was on.

On the bright side, went by the Corp Sprint store that was close to there, and they will have me a new(refurb I'm guessing) one coming in the mail. I bought the iGrip car dock there, and got it for $34 and some change, when it's normally $39.99+tax. Looks like that Sprint Premiere Silver finally does do something useful.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

If you got the 3D it may be new enough that you get lucky and get a new unit. However, Sprint has a pretty good track record on refurbs in my experience, so I wouldn't fret necessarily either way.

I'm guessing when I press ##786# or whatever that combo is for the phone stats, under Reconditioned Status:
No

means that the phone is new, right?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Rent posted:

Sorry to hear that. At my Best Buy, we swapped them out all the time. We never gave anyone poo poo about that. Sucks to hear

Even after the first 30 days, without BestBuy insurance?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

You live in a cardboard box with your Nexus?

There are some deadbolts/other locks that have a keypad on them, so you don't necessarily have to have your keys in that case.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
Anybody tried using the 3D, or really any phone that supports DLNA with a Logitech Revue? My dad got one, and I tried the instructions for both the Revue and Evo3D, and they wouldn't recognize each other. Never tried it on another device since I never had anything that supported it, so I'm not certain I set it up right.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

RodShaft posted:

So if I want to use a wiimote or most other bluetooth controllers on my Evo 3d, I need to install a new blutooth stack. Can I do that with the official unlocker or do I have to root it?

Not sure about other controllers, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that a bluetooth keyboard works natively on the Evo3D.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

brc64 posted:

I'm going to be getting a new car soon, and it's going to have all kinds of shiny bluetooth goodies for me to play with. This means that I now have incentive to get a car dock so that all I can more easily automate things like turning on bluetooth. At $60, the official dock is a bit steep... are there any other good ones for less that will actually trigger car mode on the phone? Most universal docks will hold the phone, but I'm also specifically looking for the car mode switch.

The iGrip that Sprint stores, as well as others like Radio Shack is $39.99. If you are a Premiere member, they you should be able to get it for around $34.XX. Though the discount will only work at Sprint stores I believe.

Edit: Brain fart. Relevant if you have an Evo3D, otherwise ignore.

uapyro fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 22, 2011

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

I will say the EVO 3D is noticeably poorer reception wise than the EVO (or sprint is really sucking). Signal is mostly noticeable on 4G, and occassionally on cdma (stress occassionally). I wouldn't go as far as saying its a deal break, but my nexus s constantly has better sprint signal. It's weird, but I still recommend the evo 3D. Between the top sprint phones it is still personal preference. I personally will still take the 3D over the photon, whether that makes me a brainwashed HTC scrub is a call for someone else.

Agreeing on the signal issue. I noticed that there's several places in town that you'd imagine you'd have great service, and only have 1 bar. Compared to the Evo right next to each other, the bars are usually 2, sometimes 3 different.

I doubt it's how it shows the meter, since it's not uncommon for me to have to grab the top of the phone, and then flip it so the bottom of the phone is now pointed up so that data will transfer.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

SLOSifl posted:

3D isn't useless for everyone. I really like the 3D pictures I took on my last vacation. Really feels like being there in many of them. (When viewed on a 3D TV or monitor anyway)

Agreed. I do like taking random 3D pictures; one of them on a beach in Cozumel is probably my favorite now.

Let's Golf 3D is pretty fun as well. Hopefully more games will come for it.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

9axle posted:

Just learned that the Airave network is down nationwide. Thanks for the heads-up there Sprint. Thankfully someone called me on my backup,(a prepaid Verizon) to tell me my phone has been going straight to voicemail all morning.

Thanks for the heads up! I was wondering why I kept jumping between 1 and 0 bars, enough to keep the call connected but barely able to understand anyone.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

ddogflex posted:

I had a Samsung Airave and it was loving awesome, 2G though and at the time I had an EVO that I had to turn the wifi off to save battery and would forget to turn it on at home sometimes, so I wanted a 3G Airvana. The Airvana is loving poo poo and I don't use it even though I get 1 bar at home, sometimes "Extended" network. It's QOS or something kills my internet connection and/or it will have terrible delay/voice quality/texts hours late, it's ridiculous. They sent me a replacement and it's no different. I wish I still had the Samsung. :\

Did you try putting the Airvana after the router? I haven't really known any issues with mine. Other than that, try restricting the phones that can use it in case others are connected to it.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Kynetx posted:

My experience with the Airvana (3G Airrave) has been good. Voice quality is no worse than the poo poo-tastic norm for super-compressed latency-ridden digital cellular service and data pegs out at the 3g max of 1.5 Mb/sec.

Mine's so-so. After I put it after the router, instead of before like the instructions said, I quit having speed issues on my laptop. The only issue I really have is our phones being slow to connect to it for some reason, even with no signal. And then the phone dropping instead of switching over to cell towers (where there is signal outside).

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

blargle posted:

Same here, clean rom started strong but has gotten glitchy with poor battery life.

I had the same issue. I've been running the new FreshROM for the 3D, and it definitely seems better for now.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Toebone posted:

Does the 3D camera and screen work with Fresh? They're gimmicky but I like 'em.

Yup, as far as I can tell everything works

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

z16bitsega posted:

Anyone? The only Sprint store within 40 miles seemed to have no idea.

Did you check the roaming settings? I have Fresh, and not sure if it's like this on all of them, but I think I saw where it had where I could turn certain things off while roaming, like voice, while keeping data on.

I'll check in a little while to make sure I'm thinking correctly since my phone isn't next to me right now.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

z16bitsega posted:

z16bitsega posted:
My phone (Evo 3D) won't receive calls when roaming. I can make calls, send texts, and data works fine, but I can't receive any calls at all. I have google voice integration if that makes a difference- the calls don't come into google voice either. Anyone have any ideas?

Anyone? The only Sprint store within 40 miles seemed to have no idea.

No clue if this helps:

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

zer0spunk posted:

If they stick to naming conventions and keep it one x and evo the releases will be

evo 4G, evo 3D, evo 1X

no evo 2B?

They should call it the Evo 1Xrtt just to mess with the old school people who knows what it means

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

td4guy posted:

What do you mean old school? Don't a good portion of us spend time on 1X rtt every day? I know I do.
*updates Android Market apps at 3KB/s*

That's pretty scary... I do when I occasionally roam, but I didn't think anyone did anymore who wasn't roaming

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

UglyCrackBaby posted:

How exactly do I go about trying to get an early upgrade? Do they still even do this? My contracts ends at the end of the month and it says I'm eligible for the discount on 5/1. However, I would love to get a Galaxy Nexus on launch day this Sunday if possible. It's only asking for 8 days early. I have been late on my bill a few times though, so any advice?

You should be able to call *2 and do it easily. If I remember some of the reps on here right, up to 15 days before doesn't take any effort.

Just do it a little while before so that the upgrade shows up when you go to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

I've gotten pretty annoyed with the speeds lately. Sometimes it'll take 30+ seconds to start streaming a song from Amazon/Google, and frequently pause to get more of the song when it gets to the end of what it downloads