Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A Bad Poster posted:

"Don't buy the Echo" should be in there.

Also "If you have the money for an Epic, buy the Evo Shift or the Evo if you must have a phone right this very second."

Additionally, from the previous thread:

Choicecut posted:

I think you will have to use the RUU to get her up to a more recent version in order to root the phone. Once it's rooted you can do whatever you want. It's really easy to do, just back everything up that you want to keep.

Okay - I'm running into some issues here with planning everything out. I'm looking for the RUU, and I think I ran across it: http://geekfor.me/hero/ruu-hero/sprint_ruu_156/ - is this what you're referring to?

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Mar 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Choicecut posted:

That looks like 1.56, you need 2.27 or higher to root using the revoked exploit I believe. Here is an article I wrote on my website that lays out everything for you with all the links to poo poo you need. I wrote it back in August but everything should still apply:

How To Root Hero CDMA

Beautiful. Thanks!

I'm also looking at just yanking it all through CWM/ROM Manager (http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=HTC_Hero_%28CDMA%29:_Full_Update_Guide) once rooted. I like the idea of what amounts to cloud-based ROM management.

Now if only the Epic wasn't outed as a total piece early on I might have some CM7 goodness going on. Unfortunately they're just getting things rolling with a thimbleful of developers.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So with the latest Epic Froyo update (EC05, the one they haven't pulled yet), the phone is basically more or less what it should've been at launch. GPS works, Camera works, Bluetooth reportedly works, etc.

So for folks who want a 4.0" AMOLED with a nice GPU and audio DAC, and specifically a hardware keyboard, and Epic isn't an utter terrible option at this point. Probably used (since folks still think they suck and are dumping them for Evos). Admittedly eventual Gingerbread support is a crapshoot.

Of course, if you don't care or don't want the hardware keyboard, wait for the Nexus S 4G.

Gingerbread is reliably in the pipes for the European SGS phones, but yeah, a crapshoot for the North American SGS Diaspora.

Additionally, I've never gotten a lock with GPS on my phone. I wish that was enough to bring it back to Sprint, even after this long, but I've had it since very shortly after release.

Having that Super AMOLED is like having a Ferrari that punches you in the balls every time you get behind the wheel. Sure, it's pretty, and shiny, and the rest of the hardware looks nice on paper, but every drat time you try and use it you're reminded of how much of a fuckup it was to buy the drat thing.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 26, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Resorted to perusing craigslist to see if I can trade my :downs:epic:downs: for an Evo while I wait until October upgrade time.

I swear my job is making me ultra-loving-paranoid about doing any kind of business on the internet. I sold a couple things on ebay last week and spent two hours playing internet detective because the guy's email TLD didn't match the address he wanted it shipped to.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jensen posted:

That being said there is a huge draw to a stock nexus device as well. You definitely have to weigh the pros and cons of software vs hardware.

If you're a stranger to custom ROMs, then you don't realize that 80% of the "cons" that come with phones are contained within that software part.

For example, I flashed MY GIRLFRIEND's Hero to CM7. Now, CM7 is a gingerbread ROM, whereas the Hero was never developed past Eclair by HTC. However, it's fast as hell and has better battery life now.

I understand that manufacturers have next to no incentive NOT to customize the poo poo out of their phones, but it creates a shitton of overhead on the resources of the phone that aren't needed unless you really need that Sense UI integration between SMS and Facebook and Twitter and simply won't settle for an app to do it.

Granted, on a baseline level, faster processor, more RAM = faster phone. It's just that you don't realize exactly how powerful the phones are because they have crappy manufacturer builds of the OS sandbagging it to hell and back.

That being said, right this very moment I'd prefer a Nexus S over an Evo 3D and will likely continue to do so until/if community development gets rolling on the Evo 3D.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

kalibar posted:

I think the Samsung issue is more complicated than people give it credit for. I've heard a lot of negativity about the Epic specifically, but the better question is why were people buying it in the first place?

I don't know, recommendations from people those buyers trusted for advice?

Tons of places (including an earlier Sprint thread on these forums) expressed a lot of optimism for Samsung not redoing the previous failures with the Epic. I believe the term was "turning the corner." Additionally, a lot of reputable sources up to and including Sprint reps were and have been, up until it was actually rolled out, promising an upgrade to Froyo "soon." If the Epic was made by any other company, and came with the same issues, it would have been seen as a misstep by whoever. Except it's Samsung and now it's a pattern of phones long on bling but short on reliability or even basic operation adherent to the capabilities listed on their sales sheet. After multiple different ROM flashes I still don't have working GPS on this thing. The keyboard skips keypresses. Volume issues persist when it comes to having alarms go off when needed. The screen has a terrifically short burn-in time, and mine has slight burn-in from one night where I left it on the dock and expected the screen to sleep automatically like it does on the charger. It didn't and now I've got a few squares and "September 09" burned into the screen - faint, but on a blank white BG it's clearly there.

kalibar posted:

It's a one-off Sprint-only model with the best elements of the Galaxy S series (generous internal storage, super-thin chassis) removed, and the additions of a stupid WiMax radio and a bulky-rear end, beyond-pointless-in-the-large-capacitive-touchscreen-era keyboard that Hesse and co. surely demanded in order to better "differentiate" it from the Evo.

That's good to know now considering I came from a Hero when I bought the Epic and was hoping to make use of said hardware keyboard. It didn't do the trick, by the way, and I've learned that I'm just better off using the software keyboard, but that's neither here nor there on the actual issue of the phone and more my failing.

kalibar posted:

You surely see the worst of the defects as a Sprint employee. I'd sure as poo poo never carry an Epic personally for about a million reasons, but I don't think it's fair to shun Samsung wholesale. Admittedly, I'd also never push a non-technical friend or loved one toward a Samsung device over an HTC (Nexus S notwithstanding) because you're right, the software is basically a guaranteed catastrophe. But shout me an internet holler when HTC bothers to start including 16/32 gigs of internal storage and decent DACs that don't hiss like a loving snake with sensitive IEMs in their smartphones.

I bought this drat thing in the understanding that fixes were incoming for what were decidedly identified as software, not hardware, problems. Had I known then that neither Samsung nor a whole gaggle of basement coders at XDA could get proper GPS working I'd have gone with the Evo in a heartbeat.

The track record from Samsung at this point is abysmal on the software front and mildly poor at best in the US on the hardware front considering the shitstack hardware they crammed into this thing. It's like all of that vertical integration means they just take QA for granted and never really consider that they might be releasing phones that are about as solid internally as Sarah Palin. Again, I went through two separate updates that were reported to have fixed GPS before saying gently caress it and searching for a custom ROM that got GPS working. Still haven't found one but at least now my phone is rooted and doesn't take 10-15 seconds to adjust the screen orientation. Yes, GPS is important to me because I like the idea of being able to locate my phone if it gets lost or navigate if I want to find somewhere with an address that doesn't conform to the grid system in my city. Buying a map is something I shouldn't have to do after paying over $500 for a phone that specifically listed GPS navigation as a capability.

kalibar posted:

The real reason to skip the Nexus S? WiMax. :smug:

Considering Sprint is looking like they'll hop over to LTE at some point you're right. The time frame on that is unknown so there may be time to upgrade to an LTE phone on the 2-year timeframe. Besides, who knows if they'll even roll it out to my area. I'm not in a coastal metropolitan area but I'm in a relatively large Midwestern city that by all rights should have had WiMax by this point considering it's within daytrip range of Sprint HQ.

All in all for me the ownership of an Epic has been a learning experience in more ways than flashing ROMs. It has taught me that for my money an unproven quantity or quality is as good as a failure. Take the HTC Arrive for example. A year ago I would have jumped at that beautiful WP7 beast and the solid design of the thing. Now I know that WP7 is not proven long-term just yet and I want to wait a while until the platform is a little more mature before considering making the switch from Android to WP7. As for the thought of buying a Samsung phone either in manufacture alone or in both hard- and software? gently caress that. Nothing short of a 12-month retrospective review on a Samsung phone wherein the reviewer states that Samsung has clearly cleaned up their act would change my mind on this.

So yes, I've made the decision to never buy a Samsung phone again failing the condition at the end of the previous paragraph. I took into account their prior track record, took into account advice from trusted sources that they were looking to make good with this, and got burned for half a grand plus. Now I'm desperately looking for someone to swap me an Evo for it because prior to 4/1 there was no way in hell I was re-upping for a two-year contract just to have a phone that would be likely EOL'd by the time t came up for an upgrade again. On the bright side this mistake will only be hanging with me for another 6 months.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 4, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chappy posted:

It's exactly the opposite of what Sprint's policy just became. We are supposed to attempt to re-flash approved software first, and if the problem still happens, to swap the phone out.

Wait, is this basically implicit coverage if you break your device while/by rooting, if you have TEP?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cool, maybe in 5-10 years I'll see something lighting up here in Omaha.

No, really. Moderate-sized city in Sprint HQ's backyard and they couldn't be arsed to put up as much as a single protection tower. I understand Wimax is apparently being phased out but not even a single goddamn tower? Why yes Sprint of course I'll believe it's coming soon.

I still have moral obligations to myself not to switch to Verizon (aka the Comcast of mobile networks) or AT&T (aka the bunny ears antenna of mobile networks), so I'll just accept that Mr. Hesse just hits me because he loves me.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 8, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Alman posted:

Technically Clearwire was the one building out the 4G network, so as long as you get 3G Sprint did their job. Now, if you don't get 4G by the end of 2013, then you could probably objectively blame Sprint, but afaik no other carriers have 4G in Omaha either

Well no wonder Clearwire is broke. It's going to suck if someone comes in and jacks their spectrum in this area, though I don't know how long until their usage license expires/gets pulled by the FCC.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I did end up buying that HTC Hero

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS

And of course, rooted already. Huzzah!

Loaded maps, it found me within 6 meters, I touch-screened over to a local restaurant, clicked it, it brought up the info, I clicked the phone number, and it called it. I literally orgasmed.

This is the most :shobon: post I've read about a phone. I understand you've been through a rough relationship with your Mogul, but it's just loving :shobon: how you're all giddy about a phone that went EOL like a year ago and I'm happy for you.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wow, today I learned there is a such thing as an AAAA battery, and that you can usually crack open a 9V battery and find them inside. I also learned that this tablet looks amazing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

The new gingerbread keyboard does a great job for typing fast. It is a little scary how well it error corrects.

It is a rather good keyboard. When I put the CM7 alpha on my Epic (the quintessential Piece of poo poo Samsung Sin Machine) I stopped using Swype.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ozmodiar posted:

I'm sort of with you, but WoG has a point.

The Nexus S was released in December 2010, and the Nexus One was released in January 2010...so it's a good bet that if/when Google releases their next Nexus phone, it'll be sometime around December 2011/January 2012, and it would make sense that Sprint ends up carrying the next Nexus device pretty quickly.

All of that said, I'm with you in that I don't really think that many (if any non-tablet optimized apps) will require a dual-core CPU to run within the next 12 months. There may be some apps that can utilize both cores, but coding specificallyfor dual-cores would leave A LOT of devices out of the picture in an awful hurry, and would cost developers.

Since the Nexus S will likely cost the same (maybe slightly cheaper) than the EVO 3D, price isn't really a factor...and it will almost certainly get the next version of Android faster than any other device.

I've said it before, I'll say it again - for me, it comes down to the bootloader. I VASTLY prefer AOSP to Sense, and I would greatly enjoy faster software updates and direct Google support.

Only you can decide which is more important to you: Ability to root or better hardware.

While it isn't a given that the EVO3D will have a locked bootloader I can understand the concern given the trend and the various HTC-specific murmurings. However, do you really want to put all your eggs in a basket made of Samsung hardware over merely wanting faster updates? Samsung may have destroyed their record with software support, but that doesn't mean their hardware is a barrel full of roses either.

To say the Nexus S is exactly the same as a Behold or a Moment would be a flat lie, but Samsung has displayed a worrying habit of simply not being able to build a phone and put Android on it without having some major problems that only sometimes get ironed out through software updates. The fact that Google has the software reins doesn't change the fact that it's a Samsung-built phone using Samsung-built parts and until they release something that doesn't have spotty GPS functionality or a tendency to murder SD cards or just a fuckload of other minor issues (a cool one on the Nexus S was the rebooting in the middle of calls over 3 minutes long- apparently a software bug, if you care to look at the latest posts in that link you'll see people complaining about that poo poo clear up into this month) then I'm going to be avoiding them and advising others to do the same.

Google may be able to get right on fixing software bugs but fixing a hardware issue is something that takes longer and will probably cost you money. The EVO 3D may have a locked bootloader, but consider me sold on it barring confirmation of said lock or confirmation of a better phone coming out between now and the end of the year.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SURPRISE WITNESS posted:

Just got an Epic 4G from Radioshack.com for $50. Is this phone tits?

Compared to your Palm Pre, yeah, it's tits. Compared to anything in its class, it's still tits, but Angela Lansbury's tits.

That is, to say, you should enjoy it but be aware there is some truth to the relentless Samsung hatred among most places on the internet which deal in Android. It is, however, a hell of a deal at $50. It'd still be a good deal at $100, just not much further. Samsung is a company that only managed to get an official Froyo build on this phone last month. There has been progress with various ROM development basements getting Gingerbread running on it, and there even seems to be a (VERY GODDAMN) early GB build leaked from Sprint/Samsung.

Anyway, flash a loving ROM on it as soon as you can, there are plenty of people in the Rooted Android thread who can help you with choosing one and getting through it, and having done so myself I can say that it's not at all as scary a process as you might think. If you aren't too concerned about not having 4G/Camera/GPS capabilities on your phone then there's a Cyanogenmod alpha on XDA, and it's Gingerbread. I've used it, it's very nice, but preferring a more fully featured system I opted for a Froyo rom. It's up to you.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 28, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mahoning posted:

Good news: for many premier silver customers who lost their yearly upgrades, corporate sprint stores can now honor it until I think 6/30. Pretty awesome.

:aaaaa:

Now I believe I need to find a Sprint corporate store and pray the 3D gets pushed out the door on or before the date this offer ends.

How would I be able to tell if it's a corporate store? Is this a "JIM'S CELLPHONE SHACK (we sell Sprint among other brands)" being "non-corporate" and any store with an actual Sprint sign being corporate?

e: Apparently there's a corporate store so close that I can drop a deuce in my shitter and they will smell it.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 28, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Seeing as though I have no choice on the upgrade (eligible since December, heyooo) than to wait for another 5 months I'm thinking it wouldn't be too bad because then the 3D will have likely had some of the early high-brick-possibility issues worked out of the rooting and modding process.

Chances are that no mod support will be available for ANY of the 3D functions of the display and camera until several months after release, at the very least.

Here's to hoping it's not locked by HTC or abandoned by modders like the Epic. It sucks knowing that this phone has potential but no chance of actually reaching that potential.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WELP.

My phone appears to be a total brick. No response from attempting to turn it on in download mode, recovery, or normal. It does get warm when plugged into a charger, but there are no other signs of life.

I had it plugged in to my computer at work via USB, to charge. As I got up from my desk to go down to the cafe I grabbed my phone as I normally do and went to put it in my pocket. This is when I noticed this thing was loving hot. I don't mean "oh it's been working hard and is a little warm," I mean "Consumer electronics do not get this hot" hot. Steering wheel on a sunny day hot. I hit the power button to see if it would wake up, no dice. I pull the battery, wait a bit, replace. No luck. I plug it back into the USB sans-battery to see if I can get ANYTHING out of this bitch. Nothing. Fabulous.

So, I'm going to the Sprint corporate store tomorrow. I ordered the phone online from Sprint so there shouldn't be any issue with bringing it back to a corporate store. It's an Epic, so it's within the 12-mo warranty. That may also explain why it decided to fry itself in silence less than three feet from me. loving Korean manners.

Anyway, I wasn't counting on defective equipment, so I did not opt for TEP (guess what I'm going to be doing now) but was assured by a chat rep on the site that as it is within 12mos, and it can be determined to be a mechanical failure (i.e. not something I did) then it will be replaced and the fees will be waived. Is this the case? If this gimp-rear end phone of mine can't be revived in-store and it is found to be no fault of mine, is it a free replacement? Or is there some kind of deductible to pay?

Additionally, is there ANY way I can bullshit myself into an Evo instead of another Epic? Or do I have to settle for another of these pieces and just keep it on an icepack to keep from loving killing itself again?

Edit: I decided to try plugging it into my home computer for shits and giggles and I find that Samsung hates my rear end. My phone is working now. Had to pull the battery, plug it into the computer, then slip the battery back in as it was attempting to load the battery gauge. From there I let it load the battery gauge and then turned it on. gently caress you Samsung, gently caress you.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 30, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Astiesan posted:

Oh no please. Not another Windows phone.

I had a few of them, I don't have any of them anymore, and didn't quickly.

On another topic, the person earlier who was saying about the Epic:

Do you own one and for how long? Do you regret the purchase?

In regards to the Shift:

I really didn't like the keyboard on the shift, that's why I kind of discounted it. The idea was excellent, but it was far from the best HTC keyboard I've used, I know several Epic owners, they haven't ever had any complaints about the keyboard and one of them spends practically 8 hours a day texting, so I think he'd know pretty fast.

Doesn't the Shift have a 100% locked down bootloader as well? Poking around the internet it doesn't look like they have a fully working root for it yet.

You are better off with the shift if you prefer a reliable phone that won't get abandoned nearly immediately by it's manufacturer.

The screen and keyboard may be nice on an Epic but I've had mine since September and truly regret not going for the Evo. It's a phone that looks good on paper but is a huge bitch to own. Earlier in this thread I likened it to a Ferrari that punches you in the balls every time you get behind the wheel.

Trust me, the issues I've had with this phone are not ones that can just be flashed out with one of the small handful of roms even available for it. Just get the Shift and choose dealing with a keyboard over dealing with a cripplephone like the Epic. The update debacle is a bit of an overreaction, but the "gently caress buying another Samsung phone ever again" sentiment is waaay more than just getting updates six months late.

E: Craigslist is shady as gently caress here and I wouldn't trust anyone I find on there, myself. Part of that is from what I deal with at work, part of it is from actually selling a couple things on CL in the past. I'm extremely leery of putting electronics on there and even moreso about buying them. I'd rather deal with my Epic for another 5 months than risk Craigslist.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 30, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

quote:

Samsung SPH_D600 will features a 480×320 display

:stare:

Oh, to give an update on my "hey my Epic is a piece of poo poo" situation, it died again and has been unable to be revived so I did two things. I called Retentions and had my upgrade date moved up from October to now, and set an appointment at the Sprint store to have them check to ensure the phone is dead dead dead before replacing.

In retrospect I should have also gotten TEP on the thing during that call just to have the pleasure of dropping it as hard as I possibly can.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Well, I brought my phone to the local Sprint store and they were very busy, so I set an appointment for the next day. Parking was poo poo so I didn't make the appointment, but got it taken in anyway. Took them a couple hours because they were busy as gently caress, but now I have a new Epic. With a hosed speaker. At least Retentions moved up my upgrade date.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SURPRISE WITNESS posted:

Alright... got my tracking number from Radio Shack and my Epic will be in my hands Thursday morning!

Now, my question for any Epic owners here is about the best way to carry this beast. My past 3 phones have been the old Samsung A900 flip-phone, Blackberry Pearl, and the Palm Pre. All 3 relatively small and I've carried them all in a belt-clipped holster/pouch. I've seen the horizontal belt pouches for the Epic at the Sprint store and Best Buy, and they seem just too drat big to wear comfortably. However, even if I buy a nice rubberized case and good screen protector and carry it in my pocket it is going to both feel bulky and more likely to get the screen crushed when my clumsy rear end runs into the corner of the hallway or something.

The other option I've seen are the vertically clipped hard cases that you snap the phone into, screen-side facing your hip. I'd feel this might be my best solution, but wanted to get an experienced viewpoint or two here.

Well, it is a gorilla glass screen so.providing you don't carry your phone in your pocket with keys, coinage, and/or jewelry, the screen should stay pristine.

I've never so much as used a case or screen protector on my Epic, and my phone was pristine except for the fact that it was a $600 paperweight when I brought it to the Sprint store. I don't work in a very active field and chill at a desk all day.

Unless you work in a field where you have concerns about having your phone crushed on a regular basis I would say the greatest threat to the thing are those silver block letters above the softkeys.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rent posted:

What is a Playbook for Sprint that is wifi only? Isn't that just called...a Playbook? Why would someone wait on a "sprint version" when they can just buy the non sprint version, if theyre the same thing?

Probably wouldn't make a drat lick of sense to release a tablet that isn't wimax on Sprint with the possible switch to LTE during the life of the device, when you consider the resources available to RIM. It isn't like they can easily afford to piss away money on yet another platform, especially one that requires a higher level of investment such as a tablet. They are likely just hedging against the possibility that they release it and 10 months later they're selling a 3G tablet in a market that will be expecting 4G capabilities as Sprint phases out Wimax.

e: Or RIM is just a bunch of weirdos and only makes it with Wifi. Thanks, Duckman2008!

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 4, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Am I able to switch to an EPRP plan from my current regular-employer-discount plan? Looks like I could save about $15 monthly with that, which adds up to $180 a year - something I would be stupid not to grab.

My upgrade was "reset" last week when I called into Retentions and told them in no uncertain terms I felt I'd been swindled paying for an Epic. Felt good.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TheCobraEffect posted:

Whoa, can you tell me more? I bought a transform like a moron (I didn't look at this thread beforehand). I hate it and can't wait to get something else. I would love to get a Nexus S or Evo 3D. I'm well outside of my 30 day window, though. I've been a sprint customer for almost 9 years, if that matters.

Did you just say "This phone is a lovely piece of poo poo, let me buy another phone!"

Thanks.

My Epic broke first, and when I was talking to the rep and basically snapped over how much of a nightmare it has been to own this loving phone. I flat out told the rep that as much as I love Sprint's service in all aspects I'm (I was) contemplating switching to comcast mobile aka Verizon because I'd be better off eating a prorated etf+startup price on Verizon because paying for service with a crippled-out-of-the-box phone is just not worth the cost.

Basically "i am losing confidence in my ability to justify paying for services which my phone only performs mediocre at best."

And yes, resetting the upgrade resolved the issue.

Side Q: I asked the rep at the store when I got my replacement epic, if I could have TEP on it. He said yes. Is this true or is TEP more closely linked to contact terms than issuance of a new phone?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

OptimusMatrix posted:

If my upgrade is 7/1 what's the earliest they'll let me upgrade?

If you can come up with enough indignant rage, you can call retentions and have it pushed forward a good amount. They moved mine up 5 months because I called and ranted about my Epic breaking/being a piece of poo poo in general.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

My girlfriend had her texts fail to send for a bit as well here in Omaha. Her number isn't local, though. I can't tell whether it happened on my Epic as I try to use it as little as possible as to prevent the growing desire to hurl it into traffic.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

900ftjesus posted:

Don't take this as gospel, but:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/evo-3d/84920-htc-evo3d-system-dump.html

About three posts down from an "Adviser":

"bootloader is locked but not encrypted"

That's the way the Evo 4G shipped, so that would be best case next to unlocked, which no one expected.

I'm only putting any stock at all into this because the guy posting it is a mod or adviser or whatever, but I'll wait to see it confirmed elsewhere.

So I take this to essentially mean that ROM development will be only mildly set back at first, then change to being a moderate chance of bricking, then be OK?

My biggest fear is that somehow this phone sells somewhat slowly at first among the homebrew crowd, thus putting the same damper on development as what exacerbates the panamax-sized load of hurdles to development on the Epic. I understand that its an HTC and thus carries a cleaner name than Samsung, but the rumor of a new Google "dev phone" coming out in Q4 makes me worry that people might just hold off.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Eyecannon posted:

Enjoying the latest leaked Gingerbread ROM on my Epic :cool: Netflix streaming really is awesome.

Is it really as complete and feature-ready as they're saying on XDA?

I'm using Simply AOSP (a froyo rom of course) on my Epic right now but the Gingerbread rom is really, really tempting even if it is clunky old RFS and Touchwhiz.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

diospadre posted:

Yeah all that competition in the market surely will force the wireless companies to offer unlimited data.

To put it concisely, Sprint's network vision roadmap is geared towards being able to carry huge amounts of data compared to the other big carriers. Sprint is planning massive data capability in the next few years, and the general consensus is that they will be able to offer unlimited data for a while to come, and even then they would be able to offer more fairly priced data rates if/when they do go to capped or metered plans. Not saying they won't eventually hit the wall like the rest of them, but Sprint has been more geared towards data capacity than the others recently and it should pay dividends for them and us in the near future.

e: In retrospect I misread your post. However, the point is that Sprint is positioned to be the carrier for people who like to use their phones for more than just voice and text, and to be able to do so whenever and in whatever quantity they'd like. With the crazy-rear end amount of spectrum they're ending up with, little stands in the way of providing shitloads of data to customers, short of the sheer logistics of putting up towers/getting partners to put up towers (the spectrum they hold is higher-capacity, but lower range/building pen).

Look a few pages back in this thread to see people with a better grasp on this discussing it.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 20, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I would love the SGS2 if it had a kickstand. I use my phone at work sometimes to stream Netflix in the background on my desk, and the kickstand is VITAL.

Or a horizontal dock, but I don't think those exist.

The Epic has a horizontal dock, nothing seemingly terribly complex as it appears to be a weighted base with some hardware in there to pipe sound out via USB to a 3.5mm Jack.

I would recommend checking with Samsung to see if it takes it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TheBlackMallard posted:

Just posted on Facebook.

Hopefully it includes the 3D.

Cynical me says "yeah, just signing and encrypting them!"

Optimist me says gently caress YES I LOVE YOU HTC

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

falz posted:

Odd, the E3 website doesn't list them as an exhibitor. They could be just a general sponsor but that wouldn't make a lot of sense.

There's a remote possibility that they could be announcing the development of their first Nokia WP7 phone to be released on Sprint. However, it would be tremendously early for something like that unless they had been working on it prior to the merger, but then you consider things like the Kin and almost anything is possible. They could have made an Apollo-level crash program with the purpose of getting something, anything, with Nokia off the ground as fast as possible.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jeratain posted:

AnandTech has some hands on impressions with the Evo3D, as well as some basic benchmarks: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4416/hands-on-and-benchmarks-of-two-msm8x60-phones-htc-sensation-4g-and-htc-evo-3d/1

quote:

The EVO 3D has a very large 6.57 Whr battery, one of the largest (if not the largest) I've seen in a smartphone to date.

:stare: That's a loving big battery.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

900ftjesus posted:

If you read the Sensation review on Engadget, they were getting 24 hours+ with a smaller battery than the 3D has with basically the same phone. This bodes well.

Well, this puts my choice into "unless something is catastrophically wrong" territory. I'm not sure what kind of juice if any the parallax barrier 3D uses (I probably would have the 3D turned off a lot/most of the time anyway) but 24hrs on the Sensation really does bode well for the Evo 3D. They are nearly identical hardware-wise, I believe the only thing separating the two is the 3D functionality (and exterior design of course) so I am looking forward to ditching this piece of poo poo Epic.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I went to best buy to preorder an evo 3d. The dude there said there wasn't any news in the employee net about it and I took his word for it.

I went back and looked at cameras with my girlfriend. I got to thinking "I am drat sure I saw a best buy memo regarding evo 3d preorders about a month ago."

Showed the clerk his own memo leaked to android central. He said it made his day. :v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Would it be terribly prudent to just upgrade to an Evo and then return it when the Evo 3D comes out?

I am so sick and loving tired of pulling the battery out of my phone when I want to use it, or simply deciding as often as possible against using my phone (if I Odin back to stock). This Epic is truly a piece of trash I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 5, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mahoning posted:

For the time being.

Bad news: instant rebates end on the 23rd.

Does this also go for Best Buy?

I preordered there, but live right near a mailbox and can always drop mail off at work. I just don't like waiting.

e: vv :laugh: That's that downy-rear end square clamshell.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 6, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nuts and Gum posted:

Care to elaborate?

Just have a look at my post history in android threads.

Hell, there was an android thread titled "Samsung killed my dog."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If I signed up for the EVO 3D at Best Buy, does that wipe my upgrade then and there or does it not go away until the time of sale?

Contemplating just going through Amazon as it's cheaper and just using the $50 GC from Best Buy on something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Matlock posted:

At least the Evo 3D didn't have 26 mentions of the iPhone in its review.

The podcast blows now. However, the This Is My Next Podcast podcast is just as hilarious as Engadget's was when they were there.