Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
537 copies for the day and rising. Jesssus. I sure hope this pays off in the long run because goddamn that's a lot of money that could have existed.

e: welp 542 while I was typing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
A lot of the people on the best sellers list are established authors with print books, publishers, editors and the like. They can pretty much charge whatever the hell they want for e-books and people will still buy them like crazy because of name recognition.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Final count after KDP Select adventure is 649 sold books, with about forty or so from EU/DE/ES Amazons.

Whether or not that translates into any extra sales at all is yet to be seen.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

workingdogv1 posted:

Respectable as hell; what genre is that? I "sold" about 427 copies my first day (to an eventual 997), but I suspect genre wasn't my friend there. I still managed to nearly top my genre's chart, though.

Literary fiction. It ended up at #21 last time I checked before going to bed, and it probably would have gone further had I left it as free for another day...but I want to save the free days and use them sporadically.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Damnitologist posted:

No idea what would happen if I invented urgency by announcing One Day Sale or Final Day to Get for Free or something. I'm not really that guy.

Yeah, I'm really not sure how to be that guy. I have a twitter I use for my erotica, and I put up a link or two a day when I remember. Some people I follow put up quite a few an hour.

I dunno, this may be a normal thing to some but it just feels weird to me. Considering I've got a whole 66 people following me though I kinda don't feel like its necessary.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Holy poo poo, Select gives you five free days every ninety days? I thought it was just 5 days total.

This changes things, especially since I'm kind of over Smashwords and the places they send stuff to.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
My Smashwords sales somehow exceeded my Amazon sales from 12am to 8am this morning. Was Amazon down or something? Because that never happens ever.

Just when I'm ready to dump SW completely it does something like this and makes me grudgingly hold on to it.

e: then again it's apparently in the top 10 of its short-story category with a whopping 35 sales so I'm not wholly impressed, gotta say. That might explain where people are finding it, I guess.

Roar fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 28, 2012

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
So, out of the 325 sales I've made this month, I've had 22 refunds. That comes out to about 6.7% refund ratio, if my math is correct. I'm not sure if it's content (mostly from the more 'taboo' story), mistaken purchases or if this is just the normal ratio for ebook sales refunds.

I'm hoping it's the latter :shobon: but I'll be realistic.

e: This doesn't include the novel, which has had about 661 downloads and 2 refunds - the vast, vast majority of which were free sales.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Malloreon posted:

Looking at it I'm not sure how to read the title. I keep seeing it as "Cold Cold Hands | Heart"

Yeah. I was only paying partial attention when I first glanced at it and only saw Cold Cold Hands, Heart. I like the picture, but you might want to play with the spacing a bit.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
My royalties for January will probably be about 3/4ths of my normal paycheck for the month (not counting the $100/week I pay in insurance from the day job). As interesting as it is to be getting close to double my paycheck, I wouldn't dream of quitting my job and retiring on my royalties...they could dry up any day if people stopped liking what I put out.

Supplementing should be the first goal, unless you end up like this goddamn kid...in which case go get yourself a giant money bin so you can go swimming in your gold coins every day.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Not that I care too much since Smashwords is a pittance of my sales, but...

[IMG]ddddddddddddhttp://i.imgur.com/VtuK4.jpg[/IMG]

what

for a writer I sure can't read very well

Roar fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 1, 2012

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
This is my first payment from Smashwords, but I think I figured it out. I guess that Q4 ends at the end of December, so this is everything pre-January.

Never mind!

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I understand that it probably happens, but that seems a little paranoid to avoid the whole program because of it. Are there any statistics of how many people steal/reprint ebooks?

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Last month I sold 334 copies on Amazon (not counting the free sales for two books, which add up to about 900 more) and 50 on Smashwords. 2 on Barnes and Noble.

If the other sites make you a decent chunk of change, KDP select may be too confining for you. As for me, though, SW and the other distrubutors aren't great partners for me. They don't get the kind of traffic Amazon does, and - Smashwords excluded - are abysmally slow at changing things like covers, prices, manuscripts etc.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

clockworkjoe posted:

what are you making more money from? Wanted or Artifact?

That's all from erotica.

Wanted has sold about 15 copies since my one-day free sale, and Artifact has sold about six copies from Smashwords and nothing from Amazon.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Look at all the e-book distributors alienating the gently caress out of themselves

Terrific job, guys, make it all the more simple to go bouncing off to Amazon.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
The most obvious solution is to take out a Something Awful ad. Apparently, people get some good returns from forum users clicking on links.

Beyond that, Twitter. That's the extent of my advertising expertise, though, so good luck.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Who wants a free book!!!

Wanted

Figured I ought to use another one of my free days :|

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Talks To Cats posted:

It doesn't always happen. It's not a guaranteed thing. And if it does happen, it can be difficult to reverse it.

That and it's technically against the Amazon TOS so you could get in trouble over it if you abused the system.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

psychopomp posted:

How much do you charge for your bundles? I just released a bundle of 4 steampunk novelettes (35000 words) for $8.99 - cheaper than the individual stories ($2.99 each), but I'm having difficulty imagining someone paying 9 bucks for an ebook and am wondering if I should drop the price.

I threw together three stories (26k words) and sold it for $6.99. Not a cent cheaper than buying the stories separately. People have no problem paying that price, it seems.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Elfforkusu posted:

Speaking of, said site is now complaining that I need to remove "trailing paragraph spaces". Whatever those are.

Smashwords is pretty awful until you figure out their exacting rules. I pretty much just cntrl-a my document and remove the space between sentences that MSWord always adds, then I add an extra few words to the cover to allow title sub-words. They're not so bad once you figure them out. They usually add up to an extra couple hundred dollars every few months right into my paypal, which is my fun Steam game adding money.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Amazon (or any retailer afaik for that matter, at least none of the ones I go through) don't take out US taxes. I work a regular full-time job and have still gotten refunds for the last two years, and I have pretty consistently made roughly 1k/month in writing. If you start getting SUPER MAD DOLLARS then you might want to consider putting aside some cash but I've just let it slide all year long.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Mr. Belding posted:

Have you been claiming your taxes right? Because, I don't make a grand a month, and while I still got a refund this year, it wasn't much and I had an extra $20 thrown in every pay period just to help make sure. Now, granted that isn't much. Just an extra $520 but that's also the lion's share of my refund. If I hand't put anything extra in then I'd be basically out of refund and back into paying (which I don't want, what a pain).

What I mean to say is that plan on spending about 30% of your writing income in taxes. Whether you do it by withholding extra from your dayjob or setting a savings account up is just preference. A savings account is better, but payroll tax hits you pretty hard when you're self-employed.

I uh

idk

My wife and I both work full-time and take no tax exemptions and we have two kids so we get a pretty decent refund. Generally I just plug all of my 1099's into Turbotax and it takes a huge chunk out of the refund so I was assuming it was taking it into account. Now that we have a home, though, it's gotten to be too much and we're going to get an accountant so I'll know for sure if I've been loving things up for the last few years.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
It also depends on what you sell, too. Certain genres will sell no matter what length the stories are.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

LionArcher posted:

Just posted my first shorts online :woop: feels good. Now begins the long journey of not checking to see if I've sold anything every ten minutes and go. Back. To. More. Writing.

Yeah, uh, that f5'ing journey never ends.

Good for you.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
God, I don't miss contacting agents and publishing houses and whatnot. Thank god for KDP and online publishing.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I requested to the mods to let another erotica thread start. They politely declined.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

As useful as erotica advice would be to me, I can see why it's a no. You can't limit it to 'no weird stuff' because then you'd end up with pages of arguments about where the line is, what constitutes weird, people trying to get their pony vore trilogy validated, it would get weird fast and not in a good way.

The old threads were fine until there was huge outpouring of trolls from FYAD or wherever.

But shrug. You can use a lot of short story advice and apply it to erotica anyways. Sort of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Oh my god hahaha

It's barely proper to respond to reviews at all let alone that many times.

• Locked thread