Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009
If I put a :smug: in my post - that means I'm right no matter what.
I've been immortalizing my novel over at this thread ... would you guys like to hear about it here, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

Well, the hot guy on the cover certainly piques my curiousity.

Good times - I'm sure that kid would be flattered to know you thought so.

Flotilla is a near future sci-fi novel about a teenage boy who raises fish, dodges fish and grows up on the open ocean. With rehab behind him, Jim is exiled to a seasteading colony off the coast of California with his estranged father, Rick. Together, they live by their wits, scamming seafarers until a national disaster rocks the nearby mainland. Rick is forced to assist with rescue operations, leaving Jim behind.

You can read a sample chapter here

All Jim wanted was a chance to put some bad choices behind him and bond with his father. Now, though, he's dodging drug lords, police, and angered colonists while terrorist attacks erupt only a few miles away. Is this the life a fifteen-year-old should lead?

You can check out Flotilla in a few different formats:
Flotilla - Hard Copy - Goons: Use the coupon code W28J3AMB for 10% off
Get Flotilla on your Kindle
Get Flotilla on Your Nook

And we have a very active community on Facebook that discusses the real technology and issues that Flotilla's setting is based on (seasteading, mariculture, piracy) at https://www.facebook.com/FlotillaOnline

OppositeOfLove fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 7, 2011

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009
What I've heard is "It's very easy to go down - it's hard to go up."

I think bumping a novel from x to x + $1 really misses the point. Like somebody told me a while back, in terms of sale price:

"If they're negotiating on price - they don't really want to buy. Negotiate on value, not price."

I've been doing some reading on how to position my novel in different ways - it's been interesting.

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

FingerbangMisfire posted:

I will add this to the OP as soon as I get to work (after sleeping, of course).

And I apologize for being pretty well absent from the discussion. Life's just been very much life recently.

CARRY ON, WRITERS

Why, thank you!

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

aMoose posted:

Here's another example from a few posts back. It looks like something that would've been given away free with a magazine in the early 90s. Too many elements and no sense of composition.

Gee, thanks. Where were you when I was work-shopping this cover in this thread?

No, wait ... never mind. I lost interest in what you had to say about three sentences ago.

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

Capntastic posted:

The formatting stuff like this is what I know I'm gonna have issues with. Does Amazon reformat all of those into their Kindle format? I'm worried about making a decent looking layout and then it turning to dogshit through some formatting screwjob.

Essentially, you format it yourself to the ePub format using MobiPocket creator. You *will* screw your formatting up but you'll also have a lot of chances to re-do it and get it right. Once it's been created, you can upload it to Kindle and re-review the formatting and make whatever changes are needed.

Big note: because this is something I wasn't aware of. They want your photos to be above 150dpi for good formatting and clarity. The picture I originally went with was in 72dpi because it was an older digital snap and it made for some interesting work to get formatted correctly.

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009
My sales are continuing to trickle in. Not a flood but I'm connecting with people from California to South Africa. I re-generated my landing page for the goons and it is here for your enjoyment*: http://www.flotillaonline.com/goons/

I had a conversation with one of my in-the-wild fans who came upon Flotilla, bought it, enjoyed it and reached back to me to tell me what he thought of it. He loved the different elements I brought together in Flotilla. He says that it's a great coming-of-age tale, has great characters and hilarious scenes. The action sucked him completely in and once the third act started, he couldn't put it down. I should have a review on Amazon from him by tomorrow.

All good points - my goal of introducing Flotilla to bigger audiences is continuing. I've reached out to Books, Inc. in California, a sci-fi bookstore in Sweden and the aforementioned community of Seasteading enthusiasts in South Africa. It's taking some time to connect with people but I'm consistently making new friends wherever I go. Very encouraging.

Next steps are to leverage some friends and their contacts in the LA area to re-connect with the Adam Carolla Show. Adam helped me through a fairly rough patch creatively when I was first writing Flotilla and by way of thanks I hid a ton of easter eggs throughout Flotilla that fans of the ACS show will immediately identify. The book doesn't hinge on it, but they're there and people get a kick out of it.

* Note, it's a straight HTML-based page because I'm between copies of Illustrator and Dreamweaver atm ...

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009
My next boondoggle is getting my title onto iTunes. My wife's powerbook is Mac OSX 10.4.2 and I need at least 10.4.6 and I'm too cheap to buy an OSX upgrade just to run this software ... borrowing a friend's powerbook instead.

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

MattDaddy posted:

Just got an email from CreateSpace. Seems they are discontinuing the "Pro Plan" they had and instead making all services complimentary.

Of course, less than a month after I purchased a Pro Plan.

I know, me too. I'm trying to take the long view ...

Meantime - Ingram has picked me up as available for wholesale. Now the process of getting carried by bookstores begins! I'm getting reviews on Amazon from fans and everyone's been very positive:

http://www.amazon.com/Flotilla-Dani...nDateDescending

I'm still working on getting some conversations started with some friends of friends who are connected with Adam Carolla. No progress to report but we're still coming along.

On a related note - I need a trade review to be considered by Barnes and Noble small press. Kirkus Indie wants $600 to review my novel - it's either pay the money or roll the dice that another review service will choose to review my novel. Any thoughts or feedback on that? Sales aren't blowing my skirt up but I'm not focusing on that. Everyone who's finished Flotilla is coming back and screaming at me to do the sequel already so I'm taking that as a good thing.

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

I'd like to ask about your deal with Ingram but you don't have private messaging enabled here and I can't find an email address on either of your sites. :\

Also, are they defining trade review as print only?

My deal with Ingram? Part of my 'Createspace Pro' package that just mysteriously went away last week. :) - They'll carry Flotilla but it's up to me to get a book store to actually put an order in. Createspace works with two wholesalers: Ingram and Baker & Taylor. Took me a month to figure out that they were two separate organizations - Createspace wasn't any help there. Ingram wasn't much help either except to say that yes, Flotilla is available but I should plan on working with Createspace if I have any questions. I'm not waiting for either of them to help me, I'm moving forward with understanding how to sell a book to book stores and go through the entire process.

So the next boondoggle is getting a trade review - that's part of what B&N want in order to consider Flotilla for sale as a small-press paperback. I'll need around $600 for Kirkus Indie to review it and as far as 'print only', I don't really know - I have to imagine that they'll tell you if you google for it long enough.

One more point - I'm doing a Q&A session through Goodreads that lets people ask questions about my novel and anything else they think of: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/61965.Q_A_with_Daniel_Haight

PS - You can always reach me at daniel dot r dot haight at gmail dot com. Cheers.

OppositeOfLove fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 20, 2012

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

workingdogv1 posted:

Wow, thanks for posting this. I entertained the idea for a half-second with the new format, but this pretty much kills any enthusiasm for that or iBooks. Way to shoot yourself in the foot, Apple.

Also, Azure_Horizon, hang in there. I had a similar series of circumstances with my first published book - lost two cover artists due to their unprofessional conduct, and gave an editor the boot as well. There are a lot of people hanging around the periphery of the industry right now who smell money but lack the follow-through. I understand how easy it is to get discouraged, at times I thought those problems meant I shouldn't do it, but eventually I realized that the time would pass whether I fought for the book or not - might as well keep on trying to find that right person(s).

Wait, so if I submit my title to iBooks *I can't have it on any other platform??*

:argh:

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

workingdogv1 posted:

I think that's assuming you wrote it using their software, but if so, yeah. As the article says, just imagine if you had to pay royalties to MS and could only publish it through their system for using Word. Yeah, no thanks.

I didn't write it using their software but since Ibooks requires you use Content Producer to get it uploaded into iTunes I might as well have. I've done a lot of research on this and you *have* to use the mac-based Content Producer tool to submit to iTunes. Wish this wasn't the case ... I don't want to shell out for the OSX upgrade so my powerbook will be compatible with the tool that will make my work un-sellable on other platforms.

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

psychopomp posted:

You can't upload the .ibook output anywhere else but that's fun because nobody else uses .ibook.

You still own your source files and text, and can compile/upload elsewhere, as long as it's not the .ibook output of the iBook app.

Oh. Is there a way to compile .ibook without Content Producer? I'm happy to provide it in that platform.

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

psychopomp posted:

I don't think so? As far as I can tell from the EULA, you can just use your doc (or whatever) file with the free iBook app though.

I dunno. Might be less of a hassle than distrib through Smashwords.

Free ibook app ... what might that be? I thought you were supposed to use ITunes Producer and that's only supported in Mac OSX 10.4.6 or above. My powerbook is on 1.4.2.

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

psychopomp posted:

http://www.apple.com/ibooks-author/ I assume. I dunno man, I don't have a mac.

Yeah - there it is 'Requirements: Mac OS X 10.7.2 or later'

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

Damnitologist posted:

Just uploaded a shortish book [~270 pages] from 1999 to the KindleStore; now it's sitting interminably In Review for at least the next several hours.

Meaningless though I know the Review Process really is*, I can't help reloading kdp.amazon.com and thinking ooh; pick me—pick me until it updates to Publishing.

*It's probably not truly meaningless; but I'm pretty comfy with the hypertext coding and compilation to .prc; also, the trade paperback has been available at amazon.com for a dozen years. Still: pick me—pick me....

I learned an important truth about the publishing process, which is this: "The watched pot never boils." Go do something else, come back and then check. Don't drive yourself crazy.

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

Damnitologist posted:

Oh yeah. I know. Though there's that cool thing when you reload the stats and watch the number of sales go up by the minute.

But, sadly, that's later. For now, maybe I'll put in GrandTheftAuto and run over critics pedestrians for a few hours....

Yeah - I have no context for that - my sales don't go by the minute. :)

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009
Running a promo - now through Friday you can pick up Flotilla for Kindle or Nook for only 99 cents:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/flotilla-daniel-haight/1107746980?ean=2940013541412

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006DTYYK4

I'll report back with numbers after the sale is done Friday ...

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009
I love the suggestions that come in here - I've been applying your suggestions and watching my ebook sales tick up! Here's what I've been doing:

* Added a direct link on my Twitter feed to my e-books: (https://twitter.com/#!/FlotillaOnline)
    * Temporarily lowered the ebooks to 99 cents each - first for a week and now throughout the month of February.
    * Tweeting about related content and following more appropriate Twitter feeds grew my followers by 10% in about a week.
    * Connecting with news about mariculture and seasteading to offer Flotilla to them to review and potentially cover.

Getting attention from all over the place (and by that I mean Australia, the Bahamas, South Africa and Malaysia) and the sales keep ticking up! Thank you for the helpful suggestions - I love this thread. :worship:

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009
I'm in promotion mode with the book and it's led to a very interesting conversation with other people who are also interested in seasteading - I'm not trying to pimp my Facebook page ... you just might find the convo interesting.

Skip over to https://www.facebook.com/FlotillaOnline and then see the second post down - the CIO of Blueseed, me and another guy who just got interviewed about seasteading in Indonesia are talking about the social aspects of seasteading.

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009
Edit - Hey, cool! Flotilla is *jumping* off of the shelf - closing in on 100 copies in 3 hours! :)

I'm using 3 Days of the KDP Select Free this weekend - you can get Flotilla for free on your Kindle - I'll use the other two days based on what happens this weekend.

Along with everyone else - here's my contact info:

Twitter: @FlotillaOnline

Facebook: Flotilla Online

OppositeOfLove fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 10, 2012

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

bluefire579 posted:

Twitter: @bluefire579

I'm still rather new to this, so I haven't even gotten around to doing the facebook thing yet and my blog is woefully neglected

I'm also interested in reading this whenever y'all get it published.

Thanks for the Goon Follow!

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009
I called in to the Adam Carolla Show last night to tell him about Flotilla and the part he played in helping me write it.

http://www.adamcarolla.com/greg-fitzsimmons-and-josh-gardner/

Skip ahead to 30:49 to hear me talk about it (30:49 to 34:14 of the podcast). I'm so excited - Ace helped me keep going while writing the first draft and I really appreciated his insight.

Additionally - talking to indie book stores to get Flotilla picked up through my Createspace-controlled distributor (Ingram) - I'll keep you posted on how that goes.

Once again - here's my contact info:

Twitter: @FlotillaOnline

Facebook: Flotilla Online

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

That's fair but only 1 in a thousand authors are going to get any kind of notice without some push marketing push on their part. Amanda Hocking got lucky but most people won't get her kind of luck.

Agreed.

Does anyone know how Consignment orders work? I've got two indie booksellers who are interested in carrying Flotilla on consignment. Because of Createspace, I have Ingram as my wholesaler. I'm totally lost - any thoughts?

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009
:krad:
Quick self-promo - I'm running out my next two Free KDP Select days today and tomorrow to say 'thanks' to everyone for helping my FB page (http://www.facebook.com/flotillaonline) get to 8000 Likes.

Flotilla - Free for the next two days!

I'm also happy to put out the updated copy - the original had some embarrassing format, spelling and grammatical errors that my editor didn't catch. I'm still pretty upset about that. I owned up to it - told everyone who gave me a chance 'sorry - here's the updated version for free' and I hope they take me up on it.

Anyone know how to ask Amazon reviewers who talked about the errors in their review to 'revise' their review? I dunno how much that'll affect sales but I feel like it makes me look doofy.

Finally - if you haven't done so yet - please feel free to pick up a copy of Flotilla. People really dig it.

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

OppositeOfLove posted:

Anyone know how to ask Amazon reviewers who talked about the errors in their review to 'revise' their review? I dunno how much that'll affect sales but I feel like it makes me look doofy.

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

Mortanis posted:

It's generally considered unprofessional to respond to reviewers in any fashion, even if it's in a non-confrontational way.

I've got two reviews, both of which are referencing typos. Said typos have been corrected as of this evening, and I'll be updating the book description to include something like "Revised 4/29/2012", but won't be contacting the reviewers. It should hopefully help people see that it's been fixed since the reviews.

I was afraid of that.

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009
I'm taking your advice and posting a comment to my reviews - we'll see what comes of that.

E: The review and my comment

Onto the next challenge ...

Getting into book stores

Thanks to createspace, I have the Baker and Taylor deal that gives me some kind of wholesale agreement. I've used that to sign 5-copy consignment deals at a couple of local indie book stores and then the fun begins:

1. Indie Bookstore A has put it on the shelf but wants me to pay $100 to give it 'Premium' placement for 90-days on a shelf at the front of the store.

2. Indie Bookstore B gave it up front placement but hasn't given any feedback on copies moved, etc. They're being pretty cool about setting up a book-signing but that has some bugaboos that I'll address separately because it is its own headache.

The act of promotion has been a job in itself - I'm curious what everyone thinks about digital media kits to be used to push out to radio/television to get booked (beg for spots) and is there a simple, cost-effective way to outsource all of this effort? I'm dying here trying to make all of this happen.

OppositeOfLove fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 1, 2012

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

Taliaquin posted:

Like some of the others in this thread, I've been publishing erotica for the past couple of months (hi, guys) and I'm hoping this summer to start self-publishing horror and dark fantasy under another pseudonym. Apologies if this has already been covered (I looked and didn't see it, but this thread's pretty big and it's easy to miss stuff), but for horror and dark fantasy, I get the feeling that a male pseudonym is best. I've published traditional literary stuff in journals for the past couple of years under my real (female) name, and a few of my friends who have also done traditional publishing have found that when they switch to a male name, they've had greater success, especially in genres that are typically thought of as having mostly male readers. I guess horror is mostly male in terms of readers, but I'm not sure about dark fantasy. What might I have better luck with, or is the gender of my pseudonym not likely to matter in these genres?

(Again, really sorry if I've missed this having previously been covered :ohdear: )

I can't speak for everyone but my litmus test is "Is this a good story?" not "Is the writer male?"

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

Mortanis posted:

There was a pretty large discussion on Kindleboards about that topic recently. It's absurd, but it does seem that there's guys turned off by female writers writing what they consider "their" genres. Prevalent enough that some authors are considering the same thoughts. It might be worth a few bucks if you don't feel particularly strong about it, even if it's about meeting expectations of narrow minded folk.

All I can say is "I urge you not to do this ... it's bad on so many levels."

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

Mortanis posted:

I wouldn't recommend compromising one's self for a few bucks, no. The mindset isn't one that should be encouraged.

But I'm also not going to tell people not to do it - if they feel it needs to be done to be competitive, it's not my place to talk them out of it. To each their own.

Nor is it mine, but I have a few questions:

1. By saying that gender bias is the reason your story isn't read, aren't you closing your mind to opportunities to improve the quality of your promotion and storycraft?

2. By stopping the conversation at "to each their own", aren't we kicking the can of gender bias down the road?

I'm not asking to be obnoxious - these are the questions that pop up in my head when a discussion like this comes along. I'd genuinely like to know the answer.

OppositeOfLove posted:

The act of promotion has been a job in itself - I'm curious what everyone thinks about digital media kits to be used to push out to radio/television to get booked (beg for spots) and is there a simple, cost-effective way to outsource all of this effort? I'm dying here trying to make all of this happen.

OppositeOfLove fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 10, 2012

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

Mr. Belding posted:

JK Rowling is JK and not Joanne Rowling because her publisher thought young male readers might shy away from a female name on a magical adventure story. Would they really have? Who knows.

Point is that I'm not sure there is anything wrong with choosing a pseudonym based on whatever means you think will make it effective. It's essentially a brand name. If you don't like it, then don't do it.

Oh, I don't. I'm feel like I defended something out of good intention and I'm spending more time on that than talking about promoting my book.

Speaking of which - here's the book trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSpFkp9hSVs - Sounds and looks best in 720

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

Geekboy posted:

Maybe Robin McKinley got me early enough that the thought never entered my head, but the very notion that someone wouldn't read a book because a woman wrote it is so bizarre to me as to be completely alien. If anything, after years of reading terrible female characters in genre fiction I'm more inclined to read something from a woman (assuming it's getting good reviews and such, of course). At least there's a chance there that the women will act like people and not like walking breasts.

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009
I'll just leave this here ...

OppositeOfLove posted:

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

why focus on TV and radio? I would think promoting your work to Internet sources like blogs and review sites would be more effective.

I've been working on that, too. I've reached out to places like io9 and Topless Robot and others ... here's the deal:

1. Each blog is run by a person or persons - getting their attention means figuring out what each blog wants to do and that's after I get their attention in the first place. Getting reviewed is a time-intensive process and that's assuming they want to review me in the first place. If you have a suggestion on making this a more scalable process, I'm all ears.

2. My biggest traffic came from that time I called into the Adam Carolla Show - I didn't give a website out, didn't give a link to Amazon and I had my web traffic explode and a number of people buy the book and give positive reviews just because I was on the ACS. They took the time to Google me and find me on Facebook and Twitter and then buy the book. That, at least to my mind, means that the more broadcast stuff I do, the better off I get at getting to a new audience.

So the reality is, I'm doing both. That means splitting my time and attention down in a time and place where I have little time or resources to work with. If anyone has a suggestion for short-cutting this, please feel free to tell me because I'm going nuts trying to do it all.

PS - I updated the website - the book trailer is done and now I'm working on the media kit:

http://www.flotillaonline.com

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009
Care to tell me what's wrong with my media kit? I'm getting ready to push this out to a stack of people and want to make sure that it represents my novel clearly and encourages them to book me as a guest.

http://flotillaonline.com/media-kit/

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

pipes! posted:

The blue type on orange has managed to find the resonant frequency of my eyes and has vibrated them out of my skull. Now they're dangling by their optic nerves, swaying gently to and fro. So thanks for that, I guess.

Uh-huh ... tone down the colors ... what else?

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

leb388 posted:

You need to update your bio; it says you're going to do something in 2011. You must have done plenty of stuff since then: media interviews, promotions, working on another project, etc. And what other interests do you have besides writing fiction? What made you want to write the book? etc.

Why not expand on your "Facebook reach" chart, and talk about how effective your Facebook page is? Or write a how-to guide for new authors and link that around as a promo?

And I agree with the "get rid of the orange/blue." I took my migraine medication today and my vision is still swimming after trying to read it.

A how-to page for new authors? Is that normal for a media kit? I got the part about the colors and updated bio but how common is any of what you just mentioned to a media kit?

OppositeOfLove fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 25, 2012

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009

leb388 posted:

I mean on your blog, as a promotional tool. You seem to get a lot of reach through Facebook and readers/writers might be interested in your efforts.

Oh, right - I talk about that over on my other blog - https://www.northern71st.com. I want to keep the novel's universe as something solid and not dilute the message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OppositeOfLove
Feb 11, 2009
I took all of your suggestions and updated the color scheme - I'd love to know what you think:

http://flotillaonline.com/media-kit/

• Locked thread