Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

If you can get the text out of the doorframe, it may help a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I don't think it's a placeholder, thornghost seemed pretty legit about it.

I hadn't noticed the bra-lines until now, though. Now I cannot unsee.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Sundae posted:

As a side-note, the first cover you posted (minus the pile of items) immediately made me think of the Dungeons and Dragons hardcover manuals.

This made me want to buy it, hard. The excerpts made me want to buy it even harder.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

And other peoples' eyes can see glaring errors that perhaps you are incapable of seeing on your own. Maybe that character you think is warm and compassionate actually comes across as a hot-blooded rear end in a top hat.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

What should a fellow do about having someone edit his work? I don't have any money to hire anyone, that's kind of the point of writing for me, so should I just find a really anal friend or ten and see what they pick up on while demanding brutal honesty?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I'm kind of expecting it to be about child molestation, to be entirely honest.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I love you, Haoma.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

A series of short stories based off recipes for food? But no goon or group thereof can afford the editing services of George RR Martin :qq:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Terashell posted:

ah, yeah, pseudonyms, those are another good thing I'm clueless about. I have a few in mind but difficulty deciding which to use. Are there any rules of thumb out there for picking one? (Adding this to the pile of questions I have)

How are you approaching it? Do you just want a general pseudonym for all sorts of work, or are you planning to have different names for different genres? A good pseudonym is like a character name, and will help sell your book as much as the title and cover design. What are you writing? Military fiction? Paranormal romance? Non-genre fiction?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The only thing I have to say is before noticing the link, I had a hard time parsing which name was the title and which was the author, because the subtitle is down with the author name. But that might just be me.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Terashell posted:

Well, the guy who had him dragged into the prison in the first place decided to drop him off in Nepal after a few days of suffering?

And it's the journal of a mad archeologist, it's written in code and dead languages and code in dead languages.

Have you read Foucault's Pendulum? You should.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Is Chance Masters' ability to deadspeak something inborn or is it given to her by the shadowy French post-war government agency? I think there should be some kind of mention either way in there, so your audience knows which way to expect.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

You can always lead with something like "after the momentous events at Torre Vedres, Richard Sharpe continues on into Spain."

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

With no headers, I have no idea what any of those numbers represent.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

50 Mormon Love Slaves, a novel by "Brigham Young"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Oh man, the part where he says he had one of his own fictional characters do a literary analysis of his own book is just... oh gently caress, words do not exist for how amazing that is :allears:

• Locked thread