Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ravencorinncarluk
Jul 12, 2011

nerd of all trades
author of stories with bite
o,.,o
Hello fellow self-pubbers.

Great thread. It makes me want to add my two cents about Smashwords and Amazon.

I submit to both, and just opt out of Amazon in the premium Smashwords catalog. Mostly because I dislike the disclaimer Smashwords requires.

But I love having my books on Smashwords for review purposes. I can give someone a coupon code and the link, and they can download whatever format they would prefer. Easier than me emailing out files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravencorinncarluk
Jul 12, 2011

nerd of all trades
author of stories with bite
o,.,o
I don't watch book trailers. I made one for my short story anthology, and it was hard to make.

A comment by a book marketer I admire changed my mind about book trailers. I had gotten the impression that indie authors needed all the exposure they could get, thus I NEEDED a trailer. As she pyt it, the kind of people who read aren't the kind to learn about books via video. Mixing media in the wrong way.

FingerbangMisfire posted:

I just posted this question in the Reddit thread, but I wanted to ask here as well: Does anybody bother watching book trailers? Would you make one for your self-published piece? I'm thinking about anything as simple as an author introducing himself to readers or as complicated as you'd want to make.

• Locked thread