Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

:catdrugs:
Any chance I could get in on this? I've been lurking this thread for awhile - haven't jumped in because while I've been writing for ages, I'm still learning a lot of the ropes of self-pub. It's been a tremendous help in getting my first single up on Amazon today. It's called the Kayson Cycle, and it's a fantasy/western. I'm trying to position it as a taste of my writing to lead in to my first full self-pub at the end of November.

Definitely want to start joining in as I get my hands dirty with this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

Great, I appreciate it. Funny how the marketing aspect seems so easy until you actually get into it.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

Soulcleaver posted:

Writing a book is easy. Writing a good book is somewhat difficult. Getting noticed is phenomenally challenging and the biggest obstacle to overcome as a writer.

Yep, so far this is definitely true. I've arranged a few mutual interviews with other writers/bloggers, but with a limited budget I'm saving the big advertising guns for when I put out my actual book at the end of the month. I just can't justify spending too much to advertise something that's going to have such a limited appeal. I knew what I was getting into when I decided to put up a short story first, though.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

Yeah, Twitter has been great; between Twitter and Triberr, a lot of doors have opened over the last month. I've also joined in on Novel Publicity's karmic chains, and got listed on Kindle Mojo yesterday. I also have a few reciprocal deals going with other authors to interview each other for our sites. If anyone's interested, let me know, I'd be happy to swap with you and have open spots coming in December.

Anyway, I think a lot of these efforts must just snowball over time. At least, I hope.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

clockworkjoe posted:

Triberr? I googled it but it looks like a blog. How has it been useful to you?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this; busy week. The concept behind Triberr is getting a select group of people together to open their tweet streams up to each other. You hook your RSS feed into the tribe, and your tribemates are given the option to RT your blog posts into their feed. So say you have 1700 followers, and you join a tribe with 10 members where every member has 1700 followers. Assuming no overlap, and everyone RTs your blog entry, you have a reach of 17,000 followers. Of course, the trick is finding a quality tribe that's willing to help each other out. There have been some growing pains, but a few of my tribes are pretty great.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

Soulcleaver posted:

It looks like you need an invite to get on Triberr. Since you already have an account, you could start a goon tribe or something.

Huh, hadn't thought of that. I'd definitely be down for setting something like that up. Who else would be interested?

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

Okay, I've altered a tribe that I had already started; I have eight open slots right now; first come, first served. We can look into adding more members as time goes on - the whole thing works on a system by which you earn "bones" and use those to add member slots to your tribe. You can either PM me your email address or shoot me an email at crimnos at gmail dot com. If you're already a triberr member, let me know your triberr ID and I can invite you within the system.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

I know, Reddit, but apparently a successful self-pub author posted there about breaking the $1,000 a day sales mark and...well, it's incredibly depressing when he describes how he did it. Effective, but depressing: http://www.reddit.com/r/writing/comments/m2ejo/broke_1000_in_one_day_for_the_first_time/

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Holy poo poo, so the dude makes several personas, each for one genre, and fakes author pages with stock photos. Writes 80 books across however many genres, and sells $1000 PER DAY?

Yeah, and don't forget that some of those 80 books (written over an 8-month period) are only 10 pages in length. Oh, and he says content just barely matters. All in all, a pretty depressing view of what's really going on.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

MattDaddy posted:

Reading stuff like this makes me want to reprice my 20k word titles to $2.99 ... but I'm still not gonna do it :(

Maybe it's time to finish ZNA already and start cranking out short stories under a new pen name!

I think I'm going to try this with my own short story, just to see what happens. It's essentially a loss leader anyway, so I can screw around a bit.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

I suppose you guys are right, and maybe this is some of my own personal biases coming to the surface. It just feels cheap and wrong (to me) that success is based on throwing anything against the wall and gaming the system rather than focusing on writing something truly outstanding.

Well, not anything, but certainly at best mid-level stuff.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

bollig posted:

Okay I'm getting in on this. I've been writing fiction for a while. MY GIRLFRIEND is literally copyediting one right now about astronauts that get stuck up in a space station after the apocalypse. I have 5-6 stories that are about 5k-10k each in length. My plan is to offer each of them for $0.99 and then a compilation with one or two smaller stories for $2.99 (also I might have this one available in print).

Anyway, tomorrow is cover design day. This has been an amazing thread and it's about time I started getting these bad boyz published.

I'm pretty active on reddit, and if the person who posted the I JUST HAD A 1K DAY thread is on here I have some questions for you so P/M me plz.

Were you talking about me? I'm the one who posted the article. I can drop you a PM, if so.

Good points, everybody. I've been a really strong advocate for strengthening the quality of indie works (I wrote a passionate post about it sometime ago) and hiring editors, but I was conflating the issue of quality with substance.

And yeah, kind of tempted to publish an erotica that I wrote awhile back that was rejected by a small press. Hmmm...

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

squirrelzipper posted:

Yeah I've seen a lot of this as well. I'm doing some research on self-publishing metrics as a sideline to writing a NaNoWriMo project, and an amazingly large minority of self published books on Amazon have great reviews that are suspiciously similar to the authors sample or are obviously friends/family. I can't find it now but one 5 star review even mentioned what an awesome guy the author is.

Nothing but bad reviews can't help but obvious shill reviews are just as bad.

Yes, I've seen some authors that I like and respect write up reviews for their own books. I just face palm. Isn't it common sense that you do not do that? I'm already pretty embarrassed that my mother insisted on reviewing my story and refuses to remove her review (I may put pressure at Thanksgiving).

Thanks that info, ClockWorkJoe. I'm looking to turn my pub company into a small press at some point, so that's some great, great stuff.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

Mortanis posted:

My book cover was done Kristi @ http://www.kristikirisberg.com

So very crazy to look at Amazon and see my work there.

Wow, really digging her work. It's the kind of vibe that I want to pursue for some of my stuff. Was the price reasonable?

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

Holy moly, yeah that's a little out of my price range at the moment, but I agree that it's worth it. Maybe someday.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

clockworkjoe posted:

The cover artist for Zombies of the World is Ean Moody http://moodyillustrator.com/

His prices vary based on what you want, but you can definitely get a lower price than $600. Just throwing that out there :)

Thanks, bookrmarked him. I have a pretty good working relationship with a good cover artist now, but it never hurts to have options.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

There are some great self published books, but it's like mining for corn in a river of poo poo.

Perfect analogy. Think I'll share this with some other writer friends.

I've been pleasantly surprised with my own sales so far. I threw a short story up on Amazon last month with only the bare minimum of promotion (haven't spent a dime on ads), with the proceeds going to charity. I figured it would be a learning experience for when I put the real deal out next week. I've managed 15 sales in three weeks or so, pretty pleasing for something just tossed out into the void.

I'm making a much bigger promotional push with my full-length, with several giveaways planned as well as an advertising campaign. I'll let you guys know just what I do and how that goes.

How many of you are maintaining a regular blog? I'm finding that to be the biggest factor in sales so far.

workingdogv1 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 21, 2011

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

I agree with Mortanis. While I prefer getting to know an author as a person, I can also see where your approach would grab some attention - as you said on your blog, it's worked for people like Howard Stern. In some ways, I'm actually a bit jealous because I wish that I could be that guy, but I'm just not. I think the Sanderson model is a lot more like what I would follow - not so much because I think one is better than the other, that's just who I am. If my writing is going to reflect who I am, then I feel that my own marketing approach should do the same; otherwise, I'm just not being authentic, and I think that shines through more than anything else.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

Also want to share something of a marketing success. I joined a group of four writers who banded together to help each other promote our books, figuring that while there was strength in numbers, a small, focused group could do more in-depth promoting - having the time to actually read everybody's work and comment on it from a place of strength. The idea turned out to be pretty solid, as I got a good boost in sales of my short story The Kayson Cycle over the last few weeks.

Last week we decided to work together to create a PR blitz, a full-on giveaway with prizes for purchasing our books and commenting on blogs. I even pledged all my sales to Doctors Without Borders. We managed to sign up 78 blogs to join in on very short notice. The promotion started yesterday, and I picked up quite a few sales, but nothing spectacular - or so I thought.

When I woke up this morning and checked my sales and rank, though, I found that I'd made #83 in the Westerns bestseller list (#86 as of this writing). The most important thing that I learned is that the Western genre is pretty weak if I can generate as few sales as I did, relatively speaking, and still crack the Top 100.

Still, I'm pretty excited that what was basically just a loss leader experiment has done this well, and of course, most importantly, this approach works - both the small group and the giveaway. Marketing is such a strange beast when it comes to books. It's hard to tell what will really work and what won't, so I wanted to share the idea and, of course, crow just a little bit. :)

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

clockworkjoe posted:

How did you split the costs of the prizes?

Well, this time one of our members did it as a Christmas present to the rest. The plan for next time is just to split four ways. I'm sure there's some more proportional way to determine who should pay the most based on sales boost, but we couldn't be bothered.

Launched my first full-length today, The Corridors of the Dead (cover art by a fellow goon). I bought an SA banner ad. Has anyone noticed if they've made a difference in sales?

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

FingerbangMisfire posted:

How many folks are doing just digital, just print or a combination?

Combination here, too, using Createspace. I've found a much larger learning curve with the logistics of print, but I just had so many requests for print that I couldn't ignore it. I've tried to offer a few different price points depending upon where a customer orders, with a decent discount for buying directly through my site. It's been worth it, though, as I've almost sold out my initial shipment.

Edit: Speaking of which...any chance I can pull Kayson Cycle from the OP and add The Corridors of the Dead? It's more representative of what I want out there. It's at http://www.amazon.com/Corridors-Dead-Among-ebook/dp/B006G3NJM6/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&qid=1322766638&sr=8-1.

workingdogv1 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 1, 2011

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

Mortanis posted:

I bumped my book from 2.99 to 3.99 based on reading that. I haven't had any sales. Of course, I barely had any sales before, so who knows. 3.99 is reasonable for a 90k word novel, I think.

I did the same thing and actually did pick up a few sales, along with someone showing interest in reviewing the book. Could it have been that, or my ongoing marketing efforts? Hard to say, but I'm going to leave it there for a little while and see what happens.

I'm enrolling an erotica in KDP Select. The whole Amazon exclusivity thing killed my initial enthusiasm for anything more.

Edit: By the way, finding in-person marketing to be the most effective marketing, by far. I sold out my initial shipment of print books in less than 24 hours, and most of my second shipment is already accounted for. It helps that I get a healthy $5 profit on each copy sold, too. I've also been able to push some interest in my digital versions, too, by engaging with people at the office, near where I live, etc. I'm a pretty soft sell, but it seems to work.

workingdogv1 fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 8, 2011

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

leb388 posted:

Thanks for the link. I added it to my blog post about it: http://lauraebradford.blogspot.com/2011/12/amazon-kindles-new-lending-library-and.html

Not surprised at all the backlash; this was a bad move on Amazon's part.

Oh hey, today I find out I've been following a fellow goon for quite some time.

Agreed about this being a bad PR move, but it's a tremendous coup for them at the same time. I have a feeling that author exclusives are just going to get uglier and uglier in the near future, with Rowling's Sony exclusivity sort of being the first shot. It makes sense that we're going to see it, too; digital gaming has had it for some time, and digital music also offers it.

Why wouldn't it make the most sense in the world to try to throw money at some of the most vulnerable members of the new community and hope you can snag the next Amanda Hocking or John Locke exclusively on your platform? The bad PR will eventually blow over, and in the meantime you've pumped up Prime's profile and, as I said, snagged some potentially great authors for a relative pittance.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

ladyofshallnot posted:

I just jumped on the self-publishing wagon, and I'm hoping the results aren't thoroughly embarrassing even if they aren't fantastic. If you're a bored writer and hurting for cash, don't turn to the person nearest you and ask them if you should try writing a schlocky werewolf romance novel. They will say yes, and you'll be stuck with your shame.

I'm a lesbian, but for some reason the schlocky lesbian werewolf romance genre just isn't a booming industry. I had to have my (bi) partner read over my male character and my 'erotica' to make sure the guy was attractive. Then my mother, kindle romance devourer, insisted on editing it.

Once your mother has circled tense mistakes in your sex scenes, there's really no going back.

I use a pen name with extreme prejudice, because I don't want my real life reputation going near this with a ten foot pole. On the flip side, I tried my damndest. This was not my 'thing' in the least, but I wasn't going to make it an exercise in pain and suffering for anybody involved. In a way it forced me to grow as a writer.

I don't know how much of an SA audience there is for PARANORMAL ROMANCE NOVELLAS, but, hey, a friend of mine did the cover and that's worth taking a look-see. She's hellaciously talented.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006IL1TVY

Purchased, and I feel your pain. There's also not a HUGE audience for the Lesbian Dark/Urban Fantasy/Angel Book, either...I mean, my book is doing okay, but lesbian fiction in general tends not to sell super-well. At least, it didn't take much for my book to get into the Top 100 in its first few days of release. Maybe it's an issue of marketing. I don't know. Maybe you made the right decision going straight in your fiction.

I also just read an article that books with a "woman of color" as the protagonist don't tend to sell, and WELP guess the protagonist of my next book.

workingdogv1 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 13, 2011

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

ladyofshallnot posted:

Thank you! I hope it's not awful.

Is there a title/link to your book? I love the ideas behind urban fantasy and I devour LGBTQ fiction. I mostly decided on a straight romance because I first pitched it to Harlequin's ebook division. No dice! Unless it sells like hotcakes I think it's back to writing what I know.

I have a lesbian romance/urban fantasy on the back burner that I've been poking at. Writing "Witch," it was kind of this glorious disconnect. It really was writing some weird fantasy world where couples are free to make out in public. I'm more invested in queer fiction.

You're probably better off self publishing any sort of fantasy book with a main character of color, since in the 'real' publishing world they have this hilarious tendency to complete white wash covers and descriptions.

Sorry about the delay; crazy week. My book is The Corridors of the Dead. I actually just dropped the price to 99 cents until the end of the year: http://www.amazon.com/Corridors-Dead-Among-ebook/dp/B006G3NJM6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323907048&sr=8-2. That's interesting about the weird fantasy world; as a straight male, I grappled with the opposite problem. I wanted to be able to show them as "just another" loving couple, and I think - or at least hoped- that I succeeded in this for the most part. I also kept overt sex off the table, as I felt it would come across as exploitative from a male writer. The trick was showing them as loving and sexual but also having to be careful about when and where they could show it.

Thankfully, the world situation deteriorates quite rapidly in the book so it's not as large an issue as it could have been, but I can certainly see the challenge in balancing that.

Hah, that's funny about romance....my next book started off as a thriller and ended up a romance...technically an interracial romance, I guess. I can only imagine how a traditional publisher would handle that, so yeah, going to stick with my self-publishing plan for now.

I'm intrigued by your urban fantasy too - will keep an eye out for when you release it. Definitely post it here.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

ladyofshallnot posted:

Score! It's going on the post Christmas buy list.

There's definitely a political element to a straight man writing about gay women, or straight women writing gay men, but I think the fact that you acknowledge that is a huge step in the right direction. I'll tell you now that I've read some stuff by straight women, usually about gay men, that felt really creepy and exploitative. A lot of them don't even seem to notice what they're doing.

It's the same level of care that I try to take with character of color, as a white woman. My own partner is hapa/biracial, so I'm hyper-aware of the lack of interracial romance in popular fiction and I think self-publishing is a great place to take strides to change that.

Excellent! Thank you.

Totally agreed, and both that creepy element you describe, along with the whole frat-boy-esque element of "loving lesbians" made me want to go in a totally opposite direction and just depict a heroine who happened to be gay. I received a lot of winks and nudges from other guys upfront when I explained the premise, but shut that down pretty quickly.

I've had the good fortune to have many black female friends, including a few who have been inspirations to me, so I can both bounce ideas off of them and have heard them complain about what's available (or not). Self-publishing is definitely a great place to start correcting some of those inequities, it's just a matter of getting the word out.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

clockworkjoe posted:

Keep in mind that all the top selling writers seem to be pricing their books at .99 to 2.99. It's a tricky issue.

Very tricky. My sales were very slow at 2.99, so I dropped mine to .99 until the end of the year, just to see what happened. Sales for the entire month literally doubled in the space of three days. Sometimes I suspect that simply changing the price (up or down) gets it noticed in some manner.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

MattDaddy posted:

Did your sales double or your profit?

Sales doubled. The profit stayed just about where it had been. Right now I'm also thinking more about snaring new readers that can then get the rest of the series as it releases at full price.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

The Manticore posted:

I am loving all the new stuff coming out of this thread. MattDaddy, I'd likely buy a book on your art of sexy deception. I've always found the use of pen names for such "side projects" intriguing, though I don't know if I could pull off something like that.

Captain Fingerbang, when you get the chance could you add this and this to the Master List? The latter should be free today through Christmas with a KDP Selects promo for anybody interested.

Has anyone seen much success using the banner ads on the forums? I've seen Corridors of the Dead pop up a few times (just bought myself a copy) and was wondering if it was worth the investment. I typically ignore ads, but I find myself clicking the ones on the forums more often than not.

Oh hey thanks for that! Hope you like it. I've been getting great reviews from people IRL, and I encourage them to post those online but so far not much luck. As for the ads, it's been kind of hard to meaure given how little info we get on where our clicks come from. Gut feeling I think it's been more successful than my GoodReads ad, as you're now the second person to at least mention it to me. I think it's exactly what you said and why I advertise here: I'm a lot more likely to click our ads, and I've found a few ebook gems through those ads.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

Hell yeah, that's an awesome cover. Saving that guy's site for future work.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

Humbaba posted:

Smashwords is more commonly used as a single point of entry to get your book onto multiple sites. I'm not aware of a print on demand option (which not to say it doesn't exist). The most common approach I've seen is to publish digitally on Amazon, B&N and Smashwords. The Smashwords portion handles Smashwords itself, Apple, Kobo and Sony. Folks do Amazon and B&N separately so they get the higher royalty rate straight from Amazon and B&N and don't have to give Smashwords their cut. Then once the digital bit is covered, setup CreateSpace to do a print on demand paperback version. That version can be sold directly through Amazon. When you set that up, you pay for a sample to make sure everything looks good and you have the option to order more physical copies if you want to sell them yourself. You buy your copies at a fairly reasonable price and can sell them at a markup yourself if you want. My personal plan has been to not bother with it and just sell them through Amazon. Packaging and shipping books myself feels like :effort: given that there's not much more profit in it.

You might want to reconsider that last item. I make a significant amount of profit off of packaging and shipping books myself. For example, Amazon royalties on a print copy net me something like two bucks; even adding in the cost of shipping from Createspace, I make almost 6 dollars a copy selling print copies on my own, and a not-insignificant number of my print copies have been sold in that manner (I've sold something like 30 copies myself versus a single copy on Amazon). That really adds up.

Checking in to say I've been on the KDP Select thing with my erotica almost since the program started. I had completely forgotten about the free promotional days they offer, so I made it free from yesterday to tomorrow, and have seen a big boost in units moved. I had previously sold only two copies, and I've now moved about 255 in about 34 hours or so. I'm waiting to see how this translates to sales afterwards, but it's pushed the book rather well with absolutely no advertising. I may try this with the Kindle single published under my own name next week and see if it causes a ripple effect to the novel.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

psychopomp posted:

I churned out a piece of erotica under a pen-name and threw it up on KDP select to give it a try.

Let me be frank here - I don't really read erotica so I've got literally zero idea if I'm doing it right. I'm not prudish - I just never really got into it. I'm fine with the erotic tension, with the character relationships, with the build up - but the sex scenes themselves? I prefer a "less-is-more" approach to graphic descriptions of turgid plowing manhoods and slick glistening ladyparts. If I try to write like that it comes out, to me, sounding like a satire of the penthouse letters page or something you'd find on fanfiction.net.

("Yer a whizzard, Harry!" Hagrid gurgled.)

My girlfriend beta-read it for me, but we all know that loved ones cannot be trusted to be the brutally critical taskmasters we so crave and desire (at least those that are not themselves writers or editors). She said it was fine, but eeehhhhh. I don't like it.

Published it anyway, set it for two days of free, threw up a second story story (for 99 cents) under the same pen-name to see if it would lead to cross-sales.

So far? 2 days, 260 downloads, no sales on the other piece. No reviews, no feedback. 1 return (on a free ebook? Really?).

Interesting! I had an editor for my work, but I'm not under the delusion that it makes any sort of difference when it comes to erotica. I'm also figuring that the follow-on effect going from erotica to dark fantasy is likely to be slight, but I figure if nothing else there are 200+ eyeballs (and uh...other organs) for my work and publishing company.

The most interesting side-effect is the increased number of Euro sales.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

Pope Eggs Benedict posted:

I like goons and want to support them! All I have is a nook, though. Which of you fine authors are published in B&N? Give me links and I will spend some money on words and write some reviews.

In on dis: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-corridors-of-the-dead-jonathan-d-allen/1107817032?ean=2940013521407&itm=1&usri=corridors+of+the+dead. I'm actually glad to see a Nook user; as handy as the Kindle and Amazon are, I'm starting to get a little concerned about their dominance.

Although that hasn't stopped me from continuing to experiment with Select. I mentioned in another post that I put my erotica up for free for three days; previous to that, I had sold basically zero copies. I got to something like #1,400 in the free rankings, certainly nothing special, but a big boost to the story's profile. I gave away close to 400 with zero advertising, and have seen a trickle of follow-on sales, along with a few borrows, which have really surprised me.

So I've decided to put the short story with my name on it, Kayson Cycle, up for three days now to test the waters and see what could happen with an actual marketing push. It's outpacing the erotica quite easily, and it's "sold" more than a copy a minute for the last hour. I haven't seen any follow-on for my full-length novel just yet, but then again I don't imagine many have had a chance to read the story. I'll update every now and then to let you guys know how it proceeds, since I know we're all a little hungry for ideas that actually work.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

Oh, I hear your concerns, and I feel exactly the same way. None of my longer-form fiction will ever go on Select. I've promised myself that. I have too many friends and acquaintances with Nooks and other reading devices to put all my eggs in that basket. The exclusivity is ridiculous, and at the moment I'm just glad the window is only 90 days.

But, like both of you said, I'm viewing it as a promotional tool, and little else; literally my only goal for this exercise is to get both my publishing imprint and name into people's minds, if only for a few moments, as something that they may see again down the road. It's also given me another "event" to push through my social media promotional channels and hopefully drum up a little more consciousness. I have a few interviews and author spotlight events coming up in the next few weeks, so this is meant to bridge the gap between the holidays and those events.

My overall goal is to keep consciousness of the name and brand at a low boil until April, when my next book hits. This is already a win just for keeping that going. Any follow-on sales will be gravy.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

Some great advice in these last few posts. Going to look into serializing my novel soon; that's a really great idea and I'm not sure why it hadn't occurred to me before now. I think Gremlin's right, too. I often lose sight of what "success" in sales really means when you see people like Konrath and Locke. They're the extreme outliers, but we hear more about them because of their success so it seems to be the norm. I try to keep that in mind when I get discouraged, but it's tough sometimes. Definitely been where you are, and when I get to that point, I start planning a new promotion. It may or may not work, but it occupies my mind with something that's less self-destructive and negative.

It just takes time to build an audience, and the first few months seem to be the most painful, unless you've already built a great platform. Honestly, I'm realizing that those folks who built a big platform upfront are also outliers, as blog/twitter/facebook/etc. success seems to be just as random, assuming posts are of equal quality. Sometimes you just have to wait for the die to land on your number, which is where persistence pays off.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

Soulcleaver posted:

You're supposed to say HANGIN'S TOO GOOD FER THE BITCH or something.

Also, got another review for my book. People seem to like the beginning but think it peters off, but I have the opposite opinion. It's also true that Anchored is full of excessive violence, but I ate that kind of stuff up when I was a teenager.

Live and let buy. People are somewhat enjoying my writing and I'm grateful for that. Instead of griping that no one understands me, I'll make my next book better.

Wayyyy back before self-chat here, but I'm curious to find out whether these reviews are accurate so I picked up a copy.

Final tally on my three-day giveway, 997 copies given away, rose to #2 on the free western kindle rankings and in the top 500 overall for free books, so that gave me a little more of a visibility boost. I sold a few of my novels, not sure if that's related, but I saw a massive spike in traffic on my blog that could be attributed to buying a daily featured spot on Kindle Nation Daily for 26 bucks.

I'm still not sure where the whole thing stands from a moneymaking perspective, but I would spend a lot more to get that many views from a Goodreads ad. From a marketing perspective, I'm very happy.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

psychopomp posted:

Working on tightening up my blurb-writing skills.

Old blurb:

New blurb:

Better? Worse? Any general blurbling tips?

I definitely like the second one better. It's pretty much convinced me to give the story a shot. The first one, while interesting, felt a little less specific and more generic, for lack of a better word. I know earlier versions of my blurbs tended to be more vague in what I thought was an attempt to preserve the "mystery" of the story, but I realized they were a little too vague for readers to make a decision.

Also, I'm getting really close to having a finished cover for my next story and while I've put this through the ringer with several writer and non-writer friends to get to this stage, I'd like to get some objective goon critiques. What do you guys think? Keep in mind this is a dark fantasy/paranormal romance kind of mash-up thing. It's lighter than my last work (though still retains some horror elements), and so I wanted something that reflected that when someone glanced through my catalog. At the same time, apparently the color purple is a professional short-hand for a paranormal novel. Anyway, I can offer more details on this scene if it helps.

Thumbnailed, of course. And edited so it actually works!

workingdogv1 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 17, 2012

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

Hef Deezy posted:

Right now the cover is not really coming across as fantasy or paranormal, to me anyway -- without blowing up the art to see it up close, the colors and the tree focal point make it seem like a summery slice of life/coming of age story.

I think the art is actually pretty neat and will work fine (though maybe you might fuss around with the hues a bit to give it more of a dark fantasy feel). What would really help is a new title font that reads "genre," and different colors for all the text. You can barely see the title against the pale yellow in the thumbnail. Your name actually does pop in front of the purple smear at the bottom, so if you're really married to the white maybe add a darker color behind the title, too.

Cool, that's great feedback. I appreciate it. Someone suggested at least changing the tag line to a darker color, and that might work for the title as well. Darker hues would work well, too. I'll talk to the artist about the font but he seems somewhat married to the idea of it as a way of building my "brand". Of course I ultimately have the final say, I suppose.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK....

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/apples-mind-bogglingly-greedy-and-evil-license-agreement/4360

Apple claims 30% royalties in perpetuity on books formatted as iBooks using Apple software.

Better yet, if you decide to make it and apple decides NOT to publish it, YOU CAN'T SEND IT ANYWHERE ELSE!

Oh... god drat that is hosed.

Figured this would be the thread for it in case anyone here is retarded enough to go "Apple? SURE I CAN TRUST THEM!"

Wow, thanks for posting this. I entertained the idea for a half-second with the new format, but this pretty much kills any enthusiasm for that or iBooks. Way to shoot yourself in the foot, Apple.

Also, Azure_Horizon, hang in there. I had a similar series of circumstances with my first published book - lost two cover artists due to their unprofessional conduct, and gave an editor the boot as well. There are a lot of people hanging around the periphery of the industry right now who smell money but lack the follow-through. I understand how easy it is to get discouraged, at times I thought those problems meant I shouldn't do it, but eventually I realized that the time would pass whether I fought for the book or not - might as well keep on trying to find that right person(s).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

OppositeOfLove posted:

Wait, so if I submit my title to iBooks *I can't have it on any other platform??*

:argh:

I think that's assuming you wrote it using their software, but if so, yeah. As the article says, just imagine if you had to pay royalties to MS and could only publish it through their system for using Word. Yeah, no thanks.

• Locked thread