Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007
Thanks! Apparently Apple had tried to phone her but were never able to get ahold of her. And they didn't leave voice mail. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I was wondering if someone could point me to a couple of books where I could get started in programming iPhone apps.

ATM I've got a decent amount of free time at work and I've got some ideas for some very basic (for now) financial based apps that is basically for me and a couple of other people. Whether or not this is works is then where I decide to expand it a little.

My background isn't exactly programming but I have a decent amount of skill in html/css and some basic self taught stuff using python but after that its nothing. I have no idea if that helps at all.

So I need to know if the books reccommended in the op like this http://www.bookdepository.com/book/...one-Programming

will suit me? Or whether I should start right at the beginning with something like the dummies books or something else entirely and then work onto an iphone specific book.

This is just a side project and something I wouldn't mind doing as a hobby to see if I can make something workable and I'm not looking to make any money.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Fists Up posted:

So I need to know if the books reccommended in the op like [iPhone Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide] will suit me?

I haven't looked at the book beyond the pages Amazon makes available, but based on that and a couple reviews I've seen, this book assumes no prior knowledge so I think you'll be ok. The annoying part is it doesn't cover Xcode 4 or iOS 4 (the next edition does but it's in pre-order right now), so you'll want to brush up on those separately if you go ahead with this book.

I taught myself without books (from the docs and searching elsewhere), so maybe someone who actually used books could weigh in.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

pokeyman posted:

I haven't looked at the book beyond the pages Amazon makes available, but based on that and a couple reviews I've seen, this book assumes no prior knowledge so I think you'll be ok. The annoying part is it doesn't cover Xcode 4 or iOS 4 (the next edition does but it's in pre-order right now), so you'll want to brush up on those separately if you go ahead with this book.

I taught myself without books (from the docs and searching elsewhere), so maybe someone who actually used books could weigh in.

Thanks. I just prefer to have a book on hand because I find I tend to read it more thoroughly than stuff on the web. Plus I get tired of staring at a screen all the time.

geera
May 20, 2003

Fists Up posted:

Thanks. I just prefer to have a book on hand because I find I tend to read it more thoroughly than stuff on the web. Plus I get tired of staring at a screen all the time.
I've gone about halfway through the Big Nerd Ranch guide and it's really good. Very thorough and they cover pretty much everything you'll want to know. They assume you know C in the pre-reqs, but I haven't seen anything that would trip you up if you don't.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
I have a client that offers free and paid video seminars for professional education credit. On the PC side we built a Silverlight client that among other things tracks the individual users progress through the video so, for example, we can see that a particular user watched a video all the way through, or in the case of VOD, if they watched part of it then came back later, we can have the client resume where they left off.

They want to move in to offering mobile video now, and while we know how to deploy and stream/encode/etc the video itself we've run in to a wall on tracking clients in mobile settings. For embedded HTML 5 video we may be able to use JS for client side tracking updates. However many phones, including the iPhone, won't play embedded video, instead launching their own video player. This is fine, however I am not sure how we can track that, at least on the client side.

Anyone have any ideas on directions to look in? And if you know how to do it/have this experience and are available (and allowed) to get some consulting cash let me know because that would work too.

I know a native app would probably make this a lot easier, and we may eventually go that route, but I'm trying to see if there is a way to do it inside a mobile browser as well. There are companies that claim they do it, but I've never seen it in action.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Ixian posted:

Anyone have any ideas on directions to look in? And if you know how to do it/have this experience and are available (and allowed) to get some consulting cash let me know because that would work too.

I know a native app would probably make this a lot easier, and we may eventually go that route, but I'm trying to see if there is a way to do it inside a mobile browser as well. There are companies that claim they do it, but I've never seen it in action.

I don't believe you can, unless you use streaming and control the stream as a "live" stream on the server-side. Then you can approximate where they are in the stream since the amount the iPhone can buffer in that scenario is limited (eg: the server can figure that the movie is at T-00:10 from what frame was last sent over the wire).

If you have an app you can get explicit control/info on the movie - where it currently is, if the user rewinds/fastforwards, etc. You can also explicitly control the caching, don't download when on 3G, or whatever other policy you want. I'm certainly available for contracting if you need an app written but that is pretty much the only reliable way to achieve what you want to achieve.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ixian posted:

Anyone have any ideas on directions to look in?

currentTime works great on my iPad running iOS 4.3, even switching to/from fullscreen.

edit: I used this little page to test it out. View source to see what I did.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 1, 2011

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

pokeyman posted:

currentTime works great on my iPad running iOS 4.3, even switching to/from fullscreen.

Oh snap, thanks for that find sir. It does indeed work on the iPhone.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

pokeyman posted:

Holy poo poo you just made my entire week. If you are interested in a short side project for cash PM me, I'm dead serious. I'm not talking about 50 bucks or something either, quote me your hourly rate.

Edit: Yep, works perfect on the iPhone and Android too! Android is being a bitch though - my Xoom tablet should play the html 5 video embedded, like the iPad does, but it doesn't, it just loads a default player control bar that when touched launches the video in the fullscreen internal player. Still tracks, but a pain in the rear end. Not a topic for the iPhone dev thread though so I'll shut up now :)

Ixian fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 1, 2011

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

aehiilrs posted:

What is the current wait time for a corporate developer program enrolment? My boss applied near the beginning of February and there's still no word on it.

Is there a chance this is hung up with someone further up the management chain in my company who they have called to verify stuff with?

Seconding the suggestion to call Apple's dev program desk; every time I've called them I've found them to be pretty helpful and knowledgable.

Your boss should be also able to login to the dev portal using their Apple ID, and it will tell you where your application stands. If it is in fact hung up with them trying to get in touch with the person who can legally bind your company in a contract, it would say so there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Fists Up posted:

Or whether I should start right at the beginning with something like the dummies books or something else entirely and then work onto an iphone specific book.

Don't get a Dummies or Sams book because they are always horrible. Barnes and Noble has that 50% off coupon on Slickdeals so go there and see what books you like.

geera posted:

I've gone about halfway through the Big Nerd Ranch guide and it's really good. Very thorough and they cover pretty much everything you'll want to know. They assume you know C in the pre-reqs, but I haven't seen anything that would trip you up if you don't.

I have the Deitel "iPhone for Programmers" and the WROX "Beginning iOS4 Application Development", but I haven't really gotten past the 3rd chapter or so yet. I also have the APress 'Beginning iPhone Game Programming' and 'Cocoa on the Mac', but haven't really gotten into those either.

The Big Nerd Ranch books don't click with me for some reason. They like to randomly scatter code around the chapter and it's hard for me to put it all together. The writing and teaching style are good though.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I paid for Xcode 4, but downloaded Xcode 3 since all my old books and most guides I've seen cover that.

I went to run an app on my iPhone and then hit an error since the latest Xcode 3 SDK is 4.3 only (why??) and my iPhone is running 4.2.1. I had to Google for the older SDK download links. (I have 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3 SDKs backed up now.)

I'm not liking Interface Builder at all so far. Many guides I've seen show someone just coding interface elements instead of using the builder.
Is it just universally not liked?

Most of my iOS books cover iOS 2.0. Any big things I need to be aware of that changed for iOS 3 or 4?
I noticed that when I created a test app, my iPhone sent it to the background instead of closing it when I hit Home. I'm guessing multi-tasking support is on by default for 4.0+ SDKs (my old book warns that the app is killed when you hit Home, so I wasn't sure if you needed to do something extra in iOS4 SDK to allow it to stay open).

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 3, 2011

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

Xenomorph posted:

I paid for Xcode 4, but downloaded Xcode 3 since all my old books and most guides I've seen cover that.

I went to run an app on my iPhone and then hit an error since the latest Xcode 3 SDK is 4.3 only (why??) and my iPhone is running 4.2.1. I had to Google for the older SDK download links. (I have 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3 SDKs backed up now.)

I'm not liking Interface Builder at all so far. Many guides I've seen show someone just coding interface elements instead of using the builder.
Is it just universally not liked?

Most of my iOS books cover iOS 2.0. Any big things I need to be aware of that changed for iOS 3 or 4?
I noticed that when I created a test app, my iPhone sent it to the background instead of closing it when I hit Home. I'm guessing multi-tasking support is on by default for 4.0+ SDKs (my old book warns that the app is killed when you hit Home, so I wasn't sure if you needed to do something extra in iOS4 SDK to allow it to stay open).

One of the big improvements in Xcode 4 is an integrated Interface Builder, which makes it much closer to the Visual Studio experience. You still have to manually hook up actions (event handlers) and outlets (named code reference to the control on the form), but now you can drag and drop them from the visual designer surface to the code in the assistant window.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Ender.uNF posted:

One of the big improvements in Xcode 4 is an integrated Interface Builder, which makes it much closer to the Visual Studio experience. You still have to manually hook up actions (event handlers) and outlets (named code reference to the control on the form), but now you can drag and drop them from the visual designer surface to the code in the assistant window.

Can I install Xcode 4 over Xcode 3 and keep using the iOS 4.2 SDK??

OHIO
Aug 15, 2005

touchin' algebra

Xenomorph posted:

Can I install Xcode 4 over Xcode 3 and keep using the iOS 4.2 SDK??

You should be compiling with the latest SDK, but you can set your "Deployment Target" to something earlier so you can run it on your phone.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

OHIO posted:

You should be compiling with the latest SDK, but you can set your "Deployment Target" to something earlier so you can run it on your phone.

Right now, I'm only running the apps on jailbroken phones running 4.2.1. I wanted to make sure anything I do works on the 3G & 3GS first.

I just know when I downloaded "xcode_3.2.6_and_ios_sdk_4.3.dmg" (the latest Xcode 3 on Apple's site), it ONLY let me compile using the iOS SDK 4.3 for the physical device. It let me pick "iOS 4.3" or "Latest iOS (4.3)". No option for anything earlier. I of course got an error when it put the app on my phone, since I'm not running 4.3/4.3.1 (yet - I'm waiting on the untethered jailbreak).

I downloaded "xcode_3.2.5_and_ios_sdk_4.2_final.dmg" from apple.com to get the 4.2 SDK. Then I could run it on my phone.

I was just guessing that I could install Xcode 3 w/ the 4.2 SDK and then "upgrade" to Xcode 4 with the 4.3 SDK in the hopes it would still let me compile for 4.2, but with the new Xcode 4 interface.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Xenomorph posted:

The base case with iOS 4 is when someone hits the home button, the app gets frozen in memory, so things "look" like they're running in the background. The runtime calls applicationDidEnterBackground on your delegate so you can save state, because iOS may end up recovering the memory and your app will cold start next time the user hits the icon from the springboard.

Similarly you get call to applicationWillEnterForeground when your app gets woken back up, in case you need to undo anything you did when you were going to go into the background.

The appearance of backgrounding is stuff you get for free. To actually do stuff in the background you need to declare ahead of time in your Info.plist what you're going to do, with the UIBackgroundModes key.

http://developer.apple.com/library/...dExecution.html

Edit: In terms of books, I actually had good luck first getting the "Cocoa Programming" book by Aaron Hillegass, and first learning how Cocoa works on OS X. It explained a ton of details about Cocoa that some of the iPhone-specific books gloss over with a "you don't need to know this just now, just remember to say @property(nonatomic, retain) to declare properties."

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 3, 2011

OHIO
Aug 15, 2005

touchin' algebra

Xenomorph posted:

It let me pick "iOS 4.3" or "Latest iOS (4.3)". No option for anything earlier. I of course got an error when it put the app on my phone, since I'm not running 4.3/4.3.1

When you change the deployment target you'll get more options for "Run", check out these screenshots (Xcode 4)

but poo poo you're using Xcode3, I think you'd have to go into the Project Settings? iOS 2.0 is ancient, you'll learn the fundamentals but there's been a ton of changes/improvements.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Ok, I put Xcode 4 back on and found where to lower the target device to 4.1 or 4.2.

It compiles and installs the program direct to my iPhone now, thanks. If I actually manage to write anything, I may pay the $99 developers fee. Right now I'm just doing jailbreak-only stuff.

The Xcode 4 interface is a lot nicer than the Xcode 3 interface.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
So I'm getting an ultra-generously donated older Mac Mini soon. Thing is, I don't know if it's a Core Duo or Core 2 Duo, only that it's a fairly early one with a gig of RAM. Am I gonna be able to develop iOS/OSX apps on it if it's a Core Duo? Either way, I'm gonna use it for web development (not a lot of processing power needed there), but it'd be awesome if I could start on iOS development too :)

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"

Anal Volcano posted:

So I'm getting an ultra-generously donated older Mac Mini soon. Thing is, I don't know if it's a Core Duo or Core 2 Duo, only that it's a fairly early one with a gig of RAM. Am I gonna be able to develop iOS/OSX apps on it if it's a Core Duo? Either way, I'm gonna use it for web development (not a lot of processing power needed there), but it'd be awesome if I could start on iOS development too :)

yes

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

Anal Volcano posted:

1 gig is pitiful, shove as much as you can in it, that is barely enough for Safari and a text editor. XCode will be death on a popsicle stick.

If it has the Intel GMA950 video you're going to be in for pain. I still work on a 2006 C2D Macbook and overall it's okay, but the video is easily the worst part of the whole experience.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

Anal Volcano posted:

Can you do it? Yes. Will it be ideal? No.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

3/4GB and a $99 SSD should make it alright.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice
Xenomorph: Don't worry about the SDK version so much; just make sure you pick something like 4.0 as your target in the project options. Then you can run on any 4.x version of iOS, even though you are using 4.3. You just need to avoid (or weak-link against) features that are new to 4.3 (or 4.2, etc).

For the record, based on the stats I see from my app everyone is using 4.2.1 or 4.3.x now; I haven't seen much of the other versions.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
Is anyone familiar with Corona?

It looks pretty slick but I haven't heard much about it.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000
Warning signs:
-Stock footage of douchebags
-Large amounts of buzzwords
-ENTERPRISE features
-Directly ripping off Apple's web design

But there's a free trial so hey.

What's wrong with Unity?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

NotShadowStar posted:

Warning signs:

Also their code example showing how much easier it's supposed to be compares to ridiculously roundabout, obfuscated code.

Edit: What the gently caress? It's real example code from a legitimate tutorial... why does it have poo poo like this in it?
code:
CGContextTranslateCTM( context, 0, height - height );

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 5, 2011

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Zhentar posted:

Also their code example showing how much easier it's supposed to be compares to ridiculously roundabout, obfuscated code.

They just copied the code from this blog post.

They probably copied that code into their framework too, and stuck it in that method call. You know, like any sane person would do anyway.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

Quickpull posted:

Is anyone familiar with Corona?

It looks pretty slick but I haven't heard much about it.

What are you trying to make? Games or just apps in general without using Cocoa Touch?

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Yakattak posted:

What are you trying to make? Games or just apps in general without using Cocoa Touch?

I'm looking at making a couple games. However this is mainly something I'm doing for fun and, if I'm lucky, make a couple bucks until the economy picks up and I can focus on my chosen profession. The big problem is, I don't have a Mac (though I have occasional access to one through a friend). I'm not really interested in investing in a new computer, at least not at the moment, and corona would allow me to mainly work on my PC since it can also compile android apps from the same code. That way I can test things on my PC before borrowing my friends laptop to compile an iOS version.

Obviously this isn't ideal, but I'm just looking for a way to get my hands dirty without fully investing in trying to be a professional iOS dev.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I didn't have an Intel Mac for a long time, either.

For around $0-$300 though, you can upgrade one of your computers to a nice Hackintosh that would work GREAT as a development platform.
I grabbed a $60 CPU, $50 motherboard, and a $29 copy of OS X and upgraded one of my old computers. It is just insane how well it performs for how little it cost.
You can try to get a used Mac Mini if you don't want to do a Hackintosh.

Keep in mind that you're going to have to spend a _least_ $100 a year if you want to get your stuff on the App Store. It looks like you'd have to spend at least $200 a year with that Corona stuff.

You can run stuff on you and your friends' iOS devices for free if they're jailbroken though.
Some of my crap apps are on my phone. I had to patch Xcode and install something called "AppSync" on my phone to allow unsigned apps to be ran (from what I've seen, that tool is mostly used for piracy instead of development).
I have a simple app on my iPhone 3GS that just makes note of a button push (chapter 2 from some book I looked at). I haven't worked on the app much; I just wanted to see how easy it was to get some working program on my phone without signing up for the developer program.

I suck at programming, but it has fascinated me since the early 1980s. I've bought some old iOS programming books, but I may need to pick up some Objective-C books.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Already more useful than 100% of the fart apps on the app store.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Xenomorph posted:

I didn't have an Intel Mac for a long time, either.

For around $0-$300 though, you can upgrade one of your computers to a nice Hackintosh that would work GREAT as a development platform.
I grabbed a $60 CPU, $50 motherboard, and a $29 copy of OS X and upgraded one of my old computers. It is just insane how well it performs for how little it cost.
You can try to get a used Mac Mini if you don't want to do a Hackintosh.

Keep in mind that you're going to have to spend a _least_ $100 a year if you want to get your stuff on the App Store. It looks like you'd have to spend at least $200 a year with that Corona stuff.

You can run stuff on you and your friends' iOS devices for free if they're jailbroken though.
Some of my crap apps are on my phone. I had to patch Xcode and install something called "AppSync" on my phone to allow unsigned apps to be ran (from what I've seen, that tool is mostly used for piracy instead of development).
I have a simple app on my iPhone 3GS that just makes note of a button push (chapter 2 from some book I looked at). I haven't worked on the app much; I just wanted to see how easy it was to get some working program on my phone without signing up for the developer program.

I suck at programming, but it has fascinated me since the early 1980s. I've bought some old iOS programming books, but I may need to pick up some Objective-C books.

Thanks, this sounds pretty interesting. I have a computer that might be perfect to convert to a hackintosh. How do I find out what hardware will work for this?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Quickpull posted:

Thanks, this sounds pretty interesting. I have a computer that might be perfect to convert to a hackintosh. How do I find out what hardware will work for this?

Go to the hackintosh thread in SH/SC or go read up on builds at the tonymacx86.com forum (better option). I would recommend waiting until Lion is out and not under NDA so you can get the best hardware for that particular platform since it's likely that all new Xcodes will require it at some point.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Cocos2D question.. I'm still learning and discovering all the great things about it. I'm very curious about a method of collision detection in conjunction with being used with Tiled. I noticed that you could give layers properties just like you can with tiles.

I was following a tutorial a while ago that showed a method of detecting a collision by looking up the properties of a certain tile: http://www.raywenderlich.com/1186/collisions-and-collectables-how-to-make-a-tile-based-game-with-cocos2d-part-2

But I'd like to also have a way of testing a player colliding into ANY tile on a particular layer in Tiled. In other words, I just want to make a property of that layer in tiled and see if I'm colliding with any of the tiles, but only on that layer.

Inside a method I have this code:
code:
CGPoint tileCoord = [self tileCoordForPosition:position];

int tileGid = [invisiblePropertiesLayer tileGIDAt:tileCoord];

if(tileGid){
    NSDictionary *properties = [theMap propertiesForGID:tileGid];

if(properties){
        NSString *collision = [properties valueForKey:@"collidable"];
        if(collision && [collision compare:@"true"] == NSOrderedSame) {
            return;
        }
    }
}
Can I just make some small changes to that to do what I want? Thanks.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

NOG posted:

code:

if(tileGid){
    NSDictionary *properties = [theMap propertiesForGID:tileGid];

if(properties){
        NSString *collision = [properties valueForKey:@"collidable"];
        if(collision && [collision compare:@"true"] == NSOrderedSame) {
            return;
        }
    }
}
Can I just make some small changes to that to do what I want? Thanks.

Try:

code:

if (tileGid) // edit: this used to be negated
  return;

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 7, 2011

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Thanks pokeyman. It looks like I can ONLY travel to these tiles on the collidable layer, but it's probably something on my end messing that up. This should still help, thanks!

edit: It just had to be the opposite. if(tileGid)

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
I was trying to find information on if using Lua is feasible in an iOS app but it seems that Apple has rules against using scripting languages (presumably security reasons), but I was talking to somebody who actually does iOS development and he says he knows people who use Lua for initialization but not actual app logic. Does anybody have direct experience with using or trying to use Lua or similar in an iOS app? Speed would be a concern as I would use it for game entity logic.