Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.
New Chapter. We were right about her being the artist, dunno bout the girl from the abandoned building yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Robo Pope posted:

New Chapter. We were right about her being the artist, dunno bout the girl from the abandoned building yet.

The shape of their faces is pretty different, so they're maybe different. If so I bet we'll see that girl again at some point.

Anyways this was a really good chapter now at least the story has some direction again.

edit: also, we've apparently met punpun's landlord before:
http://somemango.com/alt/Oyasumi_Punpun/52/mf/

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 6, 2011

Pringleton
Jul 21, 2008

ANIME AKBAR posted:

edit: also, we've apparently met punpun's landlord before:
http://somemango.com/alt/Oyasumi_Punpun/52/mf/

And at the same time, Punpun's future apartment. Which apparently housed a member of the cult Aiko was part of as a child.

It's frustrating the near misses Punpun has with his old friends, between Seki and Shimizu meeting his future landlord, and his mom meeting Harumi. It seems like it would be really good for him to have those people still in his life, and they're obviously still in the area. Meeting up with the guys again would be way better than being reunited with Aiko, which considering past experience and current status couldn't possibly come to anything short of apocalyptic.

Not that I wouldn't love for everything to turn out fine and for Punpun and Aiko to be happy together forever. But, I mean, not really seeing things moving in that direction.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
I've just caught up with the latest Punpun, and it's a seriously good read. I'm hoping things go well for Punpun, and maybe something positive comes out of having the artist stumble back into his life. Even if it's only Punpun just starting to keep in touch with people more.

On another note, Inio Asano is really talented and I can't believe it took me this long to actually start reading his stuff. I wish I knew about his work earlier, especially Punpun!

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
79 is up. I hope the quick update schedule keeps up for a while. It going to be torture when it inevitably slows down.

God dammit Punpun, what are you doing?

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Punpun is like George Costanza, in the way that if he just did the opposite of whatever he was thinking, his life would be so much better.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Oh god he's going to kill someone isn't he :ohdear:

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

Bro Dad posted:

Oh god he's going to kill someone isn't he :ohdear:

Himself almost definitely. The real question is how many others he kills first.

Time for some :catdrugs: SPECULATION time. What if this is another story about a time loop and the guy they saw on the roof of the warehouse that was in the news the next chapter as having murdered his family and storing them in the warehouse was actually Punpun!? :aaaaa:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Robo Pope posted:

Himself almost definitely.

I dunno, I'm getting the sense that he'll either die in some accident, or maybe doing something kinda stupidly heroic (but ultimately useless), just to top off the nihilistic feel. This also introduces a "life flashing before his eyes" moment, which is what I feel will almost definitely happen.

Amazingly Capable
May 7, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

I dunno, I'm getting the sense that he'll either die in some accident, or maybe doing something kinda stupidly heroic (but ultimately useless), just to top off the nihilistic feel. This also introduces a "life flashing before his eyes" moment, which is what I feel will almost definitely happen.

I think he's going to die at a very old age emotionally dissatisfied with his life but more or less having lived it without any major conflict. He'll have lived his life completely by the book, working in a dead-end job that doesn't has never had any prospects of future advancement. Everyday of his life would've been wake up, eat, work, eat, work, go home, eat, sleep.

He'd have been married to someone he never loved for a moment, but only proposed to because he think she probably wouldn't reject him and because he thought he was at that age when he "should" be married. There would've been no passion in the relationship but they wouldn't divorce because it's too much of a hassle and there's really anything glaringly wrong with their relationship. His children will generally have been respectful to his father and heeded any advice he would've given them, but in general they would've led separate lives and wouldn't've really interacted with eachother. He would've never uttered the words "I love you" to any member of his family.

He'd have had amazing internal monologues about his dissatisfaction throughout its entirety but none of it would be said out loud.

I think that is what's most appropriate for punpun.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Chapter 80
Banking on him getting tossed out like the weirdo he is, but I almost want to see him get laid from this nonsense, just for the inevitable fallout.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
What the gently caress Punpun

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Chapter 80
Banking on him getting tossed out like the weirdo he is, but I almost want to see him get laid from this nonsense, just for the inevitable fallout.

For some reason my mind tells me to expect the latter. Though that's just maybe because I don't want to see the former and have Punpun ruin one of his few shots at a good thing these days.

Plus, I just want him to stop being a drat pyramid. It's creeping me out.

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

As long as these commoners keep coming, the mountain of corpses will keep growing!

Amazingly Capable posted:

I think he's going to die at a very old age emotionally dissatisfied with his life but more or less having lived it without any major conflict. He'll have lived his life completely by the book, working in a dead-end job that doesn't has never had any prospects of future advancement. Everyday of his life would've been wake up, eat, work, eat, work, go home, eat, sleep.

He'd have been married to someone he never loved for a moment, but only proposed to because he think she probably wouldn't reject him and because he thought he was at that age when he "should" be married. There would've been no passion in the relationship but they wouldn't divorce because it's too much of a hassle and there's really anything glaringly wrong with their relationship. His children will generally have been respectful to his father and heeded any advice he would've given them, but in general they would've led separate lives and wouldn't've really interacted with eachother. He would've never uttered the words "I love you" to any member of his family.

He'd have had amazing internal monologues about his dissatisfaction throughout its entirety but none of it would be said out loud.

I think that is what's most appropriate for punpun.
You are amazingly capable of understanding the heart of this comic. However I'm still holding out for a happy ending, even if it's hidden behind mounds of tragedy :ohdear:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Takanago posted:

Plus, I just want him to stop being a drat pyramid. It's creeping me out.

He's all sorts of things in this chapter! Honestly, I'm finding this new abstract variety really awesome.

I think that all this has to lead to having an awkward relationship with the teacher, because that's the only way to make the eventual reunion with Aiko really really awkward.

Lumen
Oct 12, 2009
Bulk update

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

More like Wrong Dongson am I right?

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.
Summary:Punpun mans up

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Oyasumi Bakuman?

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

As long as these commoners keep coming, the mountain of corpses will keep growing!
But he could not remember who that person was. Punpun you've only just begun to work this poo poo out.

showdown
Jul 10, 2001

Smellrose

ANIME AKBAR posted:

The shape of their faces is pretty different, so they're maybe different.

That's great, Asano plans so many chapters in advance that it actually confuses us.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Wong Dongson posted:

Summary:Punpun mans up

I see what you did there. :gay:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

General note: I can't be the only one who hears that '90s Mark Wahlberg song in their head everytime they say "Good Vibrations" in this manga.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eSN8Cwit_s

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I was thinking Beach Boys myself. But I also tried to forget as much of Marky Mark Wahlberg's rap career as possible.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

oh gently caress four new chapters just dropped

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/oyasumi_punpun/v08/c085/1.html

This is going to end in tears isn't it?

Bro Dad fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 13, 2011

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

fffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccckk.

The current volume is finished. The scene with the drawing is like straight the gently caress out of No Longer Human. Way to ruin the good vibrations.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Bro Dad posted:

oh gently caress four new chapters just dropped

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/oyasumi_punpun/v08/c085/1.html

This is going to end in tears isn't it?

Five now (89).

Mustachio Punpun, the best Punpun.

Wong Dongson
Mar 26, 2010

More like Wrong Dongson am I right?

Get it?

Because I'm really fucking dumb and annoying and usually have no idea what the fuck I'm talk about.
Even if everything ends in tears for him, it's nice to see the fucker make an honest go of it before the end.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

"Not a manga you read to escape from reality, a manga you read to fight reality."

How meta.

I was struck how those chapters weren't crushingly depressing. Knowing this manga it was the most foreboding happiness, and sure enough, on the last page...

It's totally going to end in tears.

Does anyone know when the next volume is going to be released (or if it's out already)?

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

Hahaha, oh Punpun.

"I think I'm falling in love with you, but you remind me of my mother that I never liked."

You stay classy, you crazy birdman.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
It feels as if the manga could come to an end in the next volume or two, but I hope that's not the case. There are still lots of old characters we have to touch base with.

n1tro
Dec 12, 2005
In non-Punpun related news Kotonoha has started to transate one of Asanos newer works, A Girl by the Sea.

Kotonoha posted:

Time for a new Inio Asano project. When it was first announced that he would start a serial in Manga Erotics F, I was positively excited about the prospect of Asano and Naoki Yamamoto (he is the magazine’s editorial supervisor) working together. The result turns out to be both surprising and unsurprising. On the one hand, A Girl by the Sea (Umibe no Onna no Ko) features a familiar Inio Asano setup with its focus on teenage characters who are struggling to grow up. The main character is a girl named Koume Sato who lives in a sleepy seaside town. After getting used and dumped by the boy she likes, Koume decides to start a sexual relationship with Isobe, an introverted boy from her class. It’s supposed to be a no-strings-attached kind of deal but of course things get more complicated quickly.

Obviously, the explicit sexual display will take those aback who expect something more along the line of Solanin, but what I find more striking is the distinct lack of Asano’s signature narrative voice. Gone are the black panels plastered with text telling you stuff you’re supposed to see (at least in the first volume). I suspect this is one of Yamamoto’s influences. Without his beloved tool to inject his world view into the story, Asano now has to completely rely on the dialogs and pictures to tell the story, which results in a more atmospheric experience. Love it or hate it, this manga might turn out to be the most interesting work Asano has done since Nijigahara Holograph.

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

n1tro posted:

In non-Punpun related news Kotonoha has started to transate one of Asanos newer works, A Girl by the Sea.

Welp yeah it's an Asano story with graphic sex. So far it's very much any story about a supposedly casual relationship that looks to slowly turn into something more complicated and probably won't end well. First three chapters felt more like one long one. Art is nice and seems to nestle somewhere between Punpun and Nijigahara Holograph.

feh.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Solanin hit an extremely raw nerve with me when I bought it(it was the right book at the right time in life), and it automatically made Asano probably my favourite manga artist. I'm amazed that PunPun is hitting that same high mark as well, I'm loving it so far.

*Edit*

OH MY GOD THE VIDEO TAPE CONFESSION this is the best manga ever!

*Double Edit*

Six Hours. I couldnt peel my eyes off this story. PunPun is now officially my favorite Manga of all time. God bless Inio Asano's hands. I will by the poo poo out of this series the second I find it.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 10, 2011

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

I don't wanna remake this thread when it falls off so I'm bumping to report that volume 9 is scheduled for release the 28th of next month.

These waits, they kill.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Aughhh I just caught up reading like 4 Oyasumi Punpun volumes, this is the most soul-crushing series and I cannot stop reading it.

I need a good cry now. :(

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

Yeah it'll do that.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Ok! After having read almost fifty chapters, I am now fully caught up on Oyasumi Punpun.

...Why is Sachi dating Punpun, again?

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Hedera Helix posted:

Ok! After having read almost fifty chapters, I am now fully caught up on Oyasumi Punpun.

...Why is Sachi dating Punpun, again?

I thought the next bulk load was out early when I saw a response to this thread and I hate you for crushing me into a triangle.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Re: Sachi

Because sometimes life is just strange like that.

This comic mirrors my own life so much it pisses me off. :)

edit2: have a background.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 20, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
A new Punpun volume just came out recently, hopefully someone will get it/ scan it soon so we can see it translated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Hox has started releasing the new volume today, but only one chapter so far.

• Locked thread