Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Oh hey a new Punpun. It's been a while since the last one came out so I might as well just dive right in and see where things are going- :stare:

I forgot just how despair-inducing this comic is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Well that was certainly something.

God drat.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Totally psyched, but I think I'll wait until after Christmas to read it.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Fffffuuuuuucccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Why did there have to be a smiling bird at the end of those chapters. It just made things worse.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Silentman0 posted:

Totally psyched, but I think I'll wait until after Christmas to read it.
That's...probably for the best...oh god, the feelings.

getsuga
Dec 31, 2007
I guess there's no going back now...

Punpun is never ever going to live a happy life :smith:.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
This loving manga. I really should've waited until after Christmas to read it, now how am I supposed to explain to my family why I'm such a wreck?

Giant Enemy Cliche
Oct 10, 2012

"It was then that an ominous man stood beside me with a face of ill portent."
I couldn't resist and read it. It's half nine in the evening on christmas and I chose to read Punpun.

I know I've been waiting a long time... gently caress.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Merry loving Christmas Punpun!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Man just killed a mama.

Night Gaunt
Jan 9, 2007

I read the first chapter and, nope. Decided to save the rest until after the holidays. But from what I've read so far I feel extra awful because the first chapter is saying that we've been emotionally invested in the story of a monster. We still want the best for him and we want him to be happy even though Punpun seems to be beyond redemption at this point. It hurts all the worse watching Punpun destroy himself and everyone around him when you think about the way the manga started.

He just wanted to save her from ustinction. Punpun has come such a long way. :smith:

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
Nourish me with deliciously hopeless tears, Asano. I crave more. I really hope Asano just takes Punpun to the blackest depths possible in this manga. We're off to a good start, let's see the little bird crash as hard as he can.

Is Punpun released by volume in Japan or is it published in a weekly/bi-monthly magazine? I've always wondered about this.

failedninja
Nov 29, 2008
I skimmed this from the beginning since I had forgotten most of it and I noticed something interesting.

http://mangafox.me/manga/oyasumi_punpun/v11/c115/10.html
http://mangafox.me/manga/oyasumi_punpun/v04/c037/13.html

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

Brilliant work yet again. I generally dislike manga as a format and Asano's stuff is probably all I'll ever read.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Holy poo poo. I almost threw up when I saw the call back to when PunPun first saw Aiko right after he hit her. This manga does not hold itself back when it comes to showing how low PunPun has fallen. Poor guy wasn't even that far away from rock bottom in the first place. The part of me that wants PunPun to be happy is now miniscule

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
^ You really need to spoiler that last bit, mate?

So does this mean PunPun's truest self is that of a monster, or are the human-looking PunPun shots an expression of a different mask? Because human-like PunPun is a fabrication borne of despair, so seeing that in higher fidelity (but always with the face obscured!) may only mean the delusion grows stronger or more justified. Compare with Pegasus toeing the J-Lit, Japan is a monochrome nightmarescape of poo poo line of thinking.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~
and in one quick sweep I finally accept that there is no happy ending here.

Pegasus, save me.

Zackcat fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 26, 2012

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
If I was living in Punpun's miserable, poisoned world, I would have fallen in with the Good Vibrations people by now. At least they have some idea what they're trying to accomplish in life and how to go about it.

It's interesting that we've actually seen the entirety of Punpun as a human by now, just in pieces - his whole body, most recently, then the drawing of his head with the eyes scratched out, and a few occasions in the past where he's retained the bird body but had realistic eyes.

American Folk Hero
Oct 21, 2010
"...I'd wish for shooting stars to disappear forever."

:whoptc: Punpun.

bobomb
Jul 22, 2005

Undisputed
Moe Master
So uh, this really can't end well anymore can it? I mean punpun is a murderer now, with Aiko being his accomplice.
The arm of the law will find out sooner or later, right? I mean it's entirely possible that Aiko could turn on punpun when the law catches up and blame it all on him [Which he would willingly accept, it seems].
Or, they could just continue to run. Whatever the case, life will never be the same anymore. It can't, right? :smith:

Hallgerd
Dec 10, 2011
I'm not sure if Aiko's going to last that much longer. Some of the incidental stuff makes it seem like she could have an internal wound, maybe a kidney wound, from that stab injury? It was treated in such an amateurish fashion, and right next to garbage cans too.

bobomb
Jul 22, 2005

Undisputed
Moe Master

Hallgerd posted:

I'm not sure if Aiko's going to last that much longer. Some of the incidental stuff makes it seem like she could have an internal wound, maybe a kidney wound, from that stab injury? It was treated in such an amateurish fashion, and right next to garbage cans too.

I feel you on this. Seemed like there was a lot of blood when she was initially wounded. That plus the amateurish treatment, as you mentioned. Then her being all hush about it and redressing her wound in the bathroom. Plus being on her period. All that blood loss can't be good.

Suoinoleht
Jul 10, 2008

heh
I think it's more likely that Aiko will get scared of what Punpun's become and try to distance herself. She can't, of course, and when he notices he might do something like kill her or himself or someone else. His new horned head should be a major indicator of that. Also, it was pretty ambiguous how serious her wound is. I was under the impression that Punpun pulled her aside fast enough to just receive an external cut. Baseless speculation aside, I'm still rooting for Punpun to find himself one way or another.

bobomb
Jul 22, 2005

Undisputed
Moe Master

Suoinoleht posted:

I think it's more likely that Aiko will get scared of what Punpun's become and try to distance herself. She can't, of course, and when he notices he might do something like kill her or himself or someone else. His new horned head should be a major indicator of that. Also, it was pretty ambiguous how serious her wound is. I was under the impression that Punpun pulled her aside fast enough to just receive an external cut. Baseless speculation aside, I'm still rooting for Punpun to find himself one way or another.

You know, maybe punpun has already found himself. Punpun being drawn as human, with only his head being drawn differently. Maybe this is his final transformation into a human monster. I think he's living moment to moment now, and he's truly stopped caring about everything except himself? I mean, he even mentioned that he feels good after the murder, so that might be a good indicator that he might kill again. I mean, "if it feels good, do it"

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Suoinoleht posted:

The first cut, when punpun pulls her out of the way wasn't that bad, but this one was: http://imgur.com/MvswX

Suoinoleht
Jul 10, 2008

heh

0 rows returned posted:

The first cut, when punpun pulls her out of the way wasn't that bad, but this one was: http://imgur.com/MvswX

I just reread the chapter and noticed that, and caught several more hints about the extent of it later in the volume (Punpun asking how her wound is and no response, Aiko needing to stop and rest, etc). I take back at least part of my prediction, Aiko is in some deep poo poo.

e:

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I'm not sure I see Punpun as an irredeemable monster right now. I feel like a lot of his weird sociopathic talk is just another one of the many masks Punpun has worn to cope with the events going around him, he's in serious shock after what happened and he's just trying to rationalize and deal with the horror of what he's done and what he got himself into.
Ultimately, he's a murderer who did something horrible but it's important to consider the fact that he was reacting to a crazy woman with a knife who was very possibly trying to stab him to death and had just severely wounded her daughter. Reacting to the situation, he exploded and went far beyond the boundaries of self-defense, but I'm not sure his actions make him an irredeemable monster. Let's not forget that the woman had just plunged a massive knife into the wall inches away from his head. I don't believe this new Punpun.

I agree with this. Punpun's new head may have horns, but they had only wanted to peacefully inform Aiko's mother that she was leaving. It was her mother who pulled the knife out and tried to kill both of them. Aside from the chosen method of ruthless beating followed by postmortem stabbing, they acted more or less in self defense. I also think Punpun's final iteration, however he comes to reach it, will be his old birdy self. The few scenes where he still appears that way are when he his most himself without any pretense.

Suoinoleht fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 29, 2012

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm not sure I see Punpun as an irredeemable monster right now. I feel like a lot of his weird sociopathic talk is just another one of the many masks Punpun has worn to cope with the events going around him, he's in serious shock after what happened and he's just trying to rationalize and deal with the horror of what he's done and what he got himself into. It's just another role he's getting into.
Ultimately, he's a murderer who did something horrible but it's important to consider the fact that he was reacting to a crazy woman with a knife who was very possibly trying to stab him to death and had just severely wounded her daughter. Reacting to the situation, he exploded and went far beyond the boundaries of self-defense, but I'm not sure his actions make him an irredeemable monster. Let's not forget that the woman had just plunged a massive knife into the wall inches away from his head.
I don't believe this new Punpun.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 29, 2012

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I'm not sure I see Punpun as an irredeemable monster right now. I feel like a lot of his weird sociopathic talk is just another one of the many masks Punpun has worn to cope with the events going around him, he's in serious shock after what happened and he's just trying to rationalize and deal with the horror of what he's done and what he got himself into. It's just another role he's getting into.
Ultimately, he's a murderer who did something horrible but it's important to consider the fact that he was reacting to a crazy woman with a knife who was very possibly trying to stab him to death and had just severely wounded her daughter. Reacting to the situation, he exploded and went far beyond the boundaries of self-defense, but I'm not sure his actions make him an irredeemable monster. Let's not forget that the woman had just plunged a massive knife into the wall inches away from his head.

Which is probably why he's depicted as his primarily humanoid (fake new persona) now.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

MadRhetoric posted:

Which is probably why he's depicted as his primarily humanoid (fake new persona) now.

Also, this came about because of "Takashi." Which was exactly that.

Night Gaunt
Jan 9, 2007

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Remember that Punpun was thinking some dark poo poo even before Aiko's mother attacked: http://i.imgur.com/fxiwc.png And that was directed at Aiko immediately after looking at the signs of abuse on her face.

The scene where Punpun fought back began with god appearing. He turned human after god said he'd been waiting for this moment. I took that as Punpun's inner thoughts and so it seemed to me like Punpun had been looking for an excuse to kill someone. I don't think he's a monster just because he killed someone, it's because he wanted to kill someone and he seems to take pleasure in other people's pain.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

Night Gaunt posted:

Remember that Punpun was thinking some dark poo poo even before Aiko's mother attacked: http://i.imgur.com/fxiwc.png And that was directed at Aiko immediately after looking at the signs of abuse on her face.

The scene where Punpun fought back began with god appearing. He turned human after god said he'd been waiting for this moment. I took that as Punpun's inner thoughts and so it seemed to me like Punpun had been looking for an excuse to kill someone. I don't think he's a monster just because he killed someone, it's because he wanted to kill someone and he seems to take pleasure in other people's pain.

I don't know if pleasure would be the right word. Remember that later on in the volume, he tells Aiko his new "revelation" about human behavior, how hosed up a lot of us really are behind the social mask. He appears to be a lot more assertive and opening up more after the deed was done, and there's a reason for that (though it could be another persona taking over).

In his own words, "He feels quite refreshed after doing it". So i think is more in the vein of "You (society) are no better-than me and cannot judge me" kind of feeling. In his mind, he did what had to be done, and feels free and in control of his life for the first time.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have no idea what happens in this manga anymore so I'm re-reading it but I'm only up to chapter 30 at the moment. I should probably not be drinking while reading this.

failedninja
Nov 29, 2008

Night Gaunt posted:

Dude, Punpun has literally been fighting back God his whole drat life. Calling this cynical murderous petty monster his true self is unfair. It's just a dark persona born out of specific desperate scenarios, the kind where someone would ask for a god, it's just that now he has given into it. Eg. "Sup" "Sup" and the fact that most of his "new" revelations are just old God quotes. Doesn't make him less of a monster now, but there's no reason to believe he can't change (even though he probably won't). His uncle and his uncle's old gf have seen similar Twinkle Hoity whatever Gods and the latter even indirectly murdered her mother but they are both doing much better now.

failedninja fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 29, 2012

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is it to be understood that punpun and his direct family look normal like everyone else, but the bird designs are how punpun internalizes those characters?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Yeah. Some characters note at one point that Punpun and his uncle are handsome in one of the earlier chapters.

Asano doesn't really have the greatest variation on his character designs, look at his other manga and note how many of the main characters in them are the main characters in punpun. So the bird designs not only make it easier to see into the characters psyche, but avoid same character design syndrome. Plus bird-punpun has some hideously insincere faces when hes trying to hide his emotions.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Up until now, this series was really powerful because it was easy to relate to Punpun, but these recent events have totally destroyed that. This blows.

bobomb
Jul 22, 2005

Undisputed
Moe Master

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Up until now, this series was really powerful because it was easy to relate to Punpun, but these recent events have totally destroyed that. This blows.

I would really hope that no one around here can relate to what punpun is currently going through.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

ANIME AKBAR posted:

This has impact precisely BECAUSE the series made you relate to Punpun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

This has impact precisely BECAUSE the series made you relate to Punpun.

^

Exactly. Is so much more powerfull because you are emotionaly invested, and care for the character. Now, i can unerstand why people would want to slap Inio Asano's face. Everyone who follow Punpun is familiar with his dark side, and get tha he's prone to destructive behavior. But no one expected to manifest that way.

On the other hand, try not to be too much put off by it. This series is heart wrenching, no doubt, but i believe Punpun will become a better...bird, before long.

e: Talking about troubled people doing stupid things, any news about A Girl by the Sea?

Personal_Nirvana fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 30, 2012

• Locked thread