Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Takanago posted:

Nijigahara Holograph is getting published in English by Fantagraphics as a 200-page hardcover. It should be a really good release, if what they did for Wandering Son is any indication.

I haven't read this, so I'll definitely pick it up when its out.

Oh that's great news, their volumes of Wandering Son are outstanding and I've been wanting to read that one for a while.

I just finished reading the viz printing of Solanin and I loving loved it. It reminded me of Murakami's novel Norwegian Wood, mixed with David Mitchell's Number9dream, with a tiny dash of the Scott Pilgrim comic for good measure. Not that I think he's cribbing from those sources, it just hit some of the same themes as those do: being in your 20s and not knowing what the hell you're doing or going to do and everything is amazing and terrifying and hopeful and soul-crushing all at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Aag March! I totally thought it was coming out in February, at least it's a short month I guess. I'm curious to see how I feel about Nijigahara Holograph, I loved Solanin, but haven't read too much of his other work because it seemed way to bleak for me to deal with. Sooner or later that feeling will change and I'll finish Punpun.

Regardless I have Nijigahara Holograph on pre-order, so we'll see how I feel about it next month.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Double postin' because:

:neckbeard:

Regarding Asano's gender identity, there was apparently something of an edit war about it on Wiki, and finally Fantagraphics' translator for both Nijigahara Holograph and Wandering Son just decided to ask:

quote:

So ask him I did, this time very publicly, rather than through an intermediary using e-mail. And here is his response.

@matt_a_thorn_en 報告ありがとうございます!ちらっと話には聞いていたのですが、そんな問題になっているとは…。僕の場合、表記はhe/himでお願いします!

— 浅野いにお (@asano_inio) 2014, 2月 22

And here’s my translation of his response:

Thank you for the report! I had heard a bit about this, but never imagined it had become such an issue. In my case, please use he/him!

There's a whole hell of a lot more about it at Thorn's blog, including the interview that started the whole thing, which anyone who's interested in can find on his site here and entries both before and after that one.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

He's launching a new series this month.

quote:

This year's 21st issue of Shogakukan's Big Comic Spirits magazine is announcing on Monday that Inio Asano is launching a new manga series tentatively titled Honobono no Fūfu (Tender-hearted Couple) in the next issue on April 28. The magazine describes the story as "new territory" for Asano.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-04-17/solanin-asano-to-launch-honobono-no-fufu-manga

And since I forgot to say anything about it after it arrived: I really liked Nijigahara Holograph.
I mean I'm going to have to re-read it like 3 or 4 more times to put it altogether, but I enjoyed the hell out of it nevertheless.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Giant Enemy Cliche posted:

https://twitter.com/asano_inio/status/457531077116952577

Inio Asano just got a copy of Nijigahara Holograph, and I'm fairly certain he described the binding as pants peeingly good.
I'm probably going to pick up my copy this week. I'm sure its going to be as good as everything else I've read by him.

Fantagraphics isn't loving around with their manga releases. Their volumes of Wandering Son are insanely nice, so Nijigahara Holograph being the of the same quality wasn't much of a surprise to me, but it's still super cool.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Here ya go

a kitten posted:

Regarding Asano's gender identity, there was apparently something of an edit war about it on Wiki, and finally Fantagraphics' translator for both Nijigahara Holograph and Wandering Son just decided to ask:

quote:

quote:

So ask him I did, this time very publicly, rather than through an intermediary using e-mail. And here is his response. 

@matt_a_thorn_en 報告ありがとうございます!ちらっと話には聞いていたのですが、そんな問題になっているとは…。僕の場合、表記はhe/himでお願いします! 

— 浅野いにお (@asano_inio) 2014, 2月 22 

And here’s my translation of his response: 

Thank you for the report! I had heard a bit about this, but never imagined it had become such an issue. In my case, please use he/him!

There's a whole hell of a lot more about it at Thorn's blog, including the interview that started the whole thing, which anyone who's interested in can find on his site here and entries both before and after that one.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

New chapter(s) of Dead Dead Demon dddddestruction
Chapter 7
Chapter 8

Liking it a lot so far, although I wish the scans were better. Then again I'd rather read it as it comes out than wait for the collected versions.
Or for an English release. :pray:

edit: next chapter in October. That's terrible news.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 10, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Devour or Fire posted:

There's been 5 new chapters of dddddddd since the last post, in case you were wondering.

It's on hiatus now though. :cry:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Clearly the best of all possible worlds.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

quote:

This year's 19th issue of Shogakukan's Weekly Big Comic Spirits magazine is announcing on Monday that Inio Asano will resume his Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction manga in the magazine's 20th issue on April 13. The 20th issue will include an opening color page for the manga, and the new chapter will mark the start of the manga's third part.

The magazine had announced in December that Asano would put the manga on hiatus until this spring.

Yay. :)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Punpun licensed by Viz. Coming 2016
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-07-24/viz-media-licenses-inio-asano-goodnight-pun-pun-manga/.90859

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Breadmaster posted:

I just binged Punpun in one go

I...My head hurts. Are all of Asano's work like that?

I dunno because i bounced off of Punpun and haven't restarted it; but you should read both Solanin and Nijigahara Holograph.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Volume 1

e: oh geez, that's huge. Leaving it because it looks rad as hell.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 4, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Weird BIAS posted:

but where do i click to buy

Your local bookstore
http://www.amazon.com/Goodnight-Punpun-Vol-Inio-Asano/dp/1421586207

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I almsot missed this! Thank you. I'd already seen the episode with Akiko Higashimura and now i hope there's even more to come with other manga artists i love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nijigahara Holograph is great, absolutely fantastic.

I bought, but haven't started Girl on the Shore yet.

• Locked thread