Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have no idea what happens in this manga anymore so I'm re-reading it but I'm only up to chapter 30 at the moment. I should probably not be drinking while reading this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is it to be understood that punpun and his direct family look normal like everyone else, but the bird designs are how punpun internalizes those characters?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

bobomb posted:

You know, maybe punpun has already found himself. Punpun being drawn as human, with only his head being drawn differently. Maybe this is his final transformation into a human monster. I think he's living moment to moment now, and he's truly stopped caring about everything except himself? I mean, he even mentioned that he feels good after the murder, so that might be a good indicator that he might kill again. I mean, "if it feels good, do it"

There tends to be a rush after someone murders another person. It's kinda like a coping mechanism to try and deal with it.

I just caught up and I have to say, I rather prefer punpun now. It was getting tiresome. His assertiveness is refreshing.

Did she stab him in the eye or the finger? I can't tell.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It's rather cool how well the mangaka is able to convey depression and abuse so well that it just resonates. Punpun's "I can't do this because I suck, and it's because I suck that I can't do this" defeatist attitude (to summarize his feelings) is pretty much in line with major depression. Additionally, Akio was constantly abused (something that was shown way back on her shoulders, though why her shoulders?) and her behavior now is also showing the same kind of signs. She says she loves him, yet it's clear she's acting out of fear. She hated her mom, but she didn't want her to die. No one really does. Her mom was plenty abusive though. Look at the way she talks, it's pretty much textbook for a verbally abusive person. "I'm all you need, no one else cares about you like I do" (while making the other person littler than themselves.) You can see how much of a manipulator she was (verbally abusive people are) by the fact she could walk just fine, it was just how she was able to control Akio.

So now Akio says she loves him, but not truly. She hates him for murdering her mom (even though it began in self defense), but she has no one else and if he's not around she'll be truly alone. It's why she wanted to stab his eye out, but also why she failed to go through with it.

Punpun's current self is the result of his actions throughout the years, how he treats others and himself. "You reap what you sow". This was just the....push out the door he needed to finally change, though obviously not in the right way.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Weird BIAS posted:

I'm not really sure that Aiko didn't want her dead. Once her mother was dead she kept stabbing her over and over while Punpun got the door. However I agree with the bulk of your post. I'm not sure she is actually in love with him so much as latching onto the only positive thing she has, which is still a pretty hosed up and abusive relationship. I kept feeling that Punpun was going to end up just like his father and Aiko like his mother, trapped in a horrible relationship born out of abusive situations. But with the murder it's in the air. The festival that Pegasus keeps talking about may be the moment that Punpun and Aiko finally are caught or they both die in a horrific way or something. Aiko might die due to the poor patch job Punpun did on her side wound and maybe he kills himself out of despair. Maybe Punpun is that Black Spot Pegasus keeps referring to. I CAN'T WAIT TO FIND OUT.

Anybody know how close they are to the July festival they keep talking about?

Ah yeah i forgot about that part, but the black spot is "god" I believe. There was some allusion towards this when he was thinking about what the black spot was (I think that's how it went). God right now is in the body of that biker guy. I don't think god is part of punpun, but he has been influencing him.

However to take this one step further, god is not a being. God is a...frame of mind? I don't have the right vocabulary right now to explain it. "Evil exists in the hearts of men" basically. God in this manga is like, your ID? In listening to him instead of rejecting him, it's made matters worse. When Punpun didn't hear him all those years, he basically ignored him just kind of stagnated.

The festival is close now, I think prob around a few weeks in story.

Also there was an explosion, maybe what ends up happening is what's his face (the old friend) blows up the building and akio is in it at the time? It could go a few ways. I still don't know the meaning behind that weird toy. It has something to do with the toy falling, which is kind of what happened with punpun, he destroyed it by cranking it at the ground. Maybe that means something.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone know when the next chapter of this is out? Feels like forever...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Zackcat posted:

it ended today. I am currently in an emotional mess. I can't put it into words...all I can say is:

Oyasumi Punpun.

Is there somewhere you can read the scans?

• Locked thread