Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

Night Gaunt posted:

Remember that Punpun was thinking some dark poo poo even before Aiko's mother attacked: http://i.imgur.com/fxiwc.png And that was directed at Aiko immediately after looking at the signs of abuse on her face.

The scene where Punpun fought back began with god appearing. He turned human after god said he'd been waiting for this moment. I took that as Punpun's inner thoughts and so it seemed to me like Punpun had been looking for an excuse to kill someone. I don't think he's a monster just because he killed someone, it's because he wanted to kill someone and he seems to take pleasure in other people's pain.

I don't know if pleasure would be the right word. Remember that later on in the volume, he tells Aiko his new "revelation" about human behavior, how hosed up a lot of us really are behind the social mask. He appears to be a lot more assertive and opening up more after the deed was done, and there's a reason for that (though it could be another persona taking over).

In his own words, "He feels quite refreshed after doing it". So i think is more in the vein of "You (society) are no better-than me and cannot judge me" kind of feeling. In his mind, he did what had to be done, and feels free and in control of his life for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

This has impact precisely BECAUSE the series made you relate to Punpun.

^

Exactly. Is so much more powerfull because you are emotionaly invested, and care for the character. Now, i can unerstand why people would want to slap Inio Asano's face. Everyone who follow Punpun is familiar with his dark side, and get tha he's prone to destructive behavior. But no one expected to manifest that way.

On the other hand, try not to be too much put off by it. This series is heart wrenching, no doubt, but i believe Punpun will become a better...bird, before long.

e: Talking about troubled people doing stupid things, any news about A Girl by the Sea?

Personal_Nirvana fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 30, 2012

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Yeah this is what I was trying to say. It's a lot like how in Shamo Ryo is somewhat sympathetic, until he randomly rapes some woman and from then on he's just some sociopathic monster. Though that didn't turn out entirely bad, but that's probably because it was an action manga all along.

Oh god Shamo. :stonk:

The art is one of the best things i've seen from any manga, but i couldn't for the life of me keep reading after that. Still didn't.

Same with Thomas Covenant.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's rather cool how well the mangaka is able to convey depression and abuse so well that it just resonates. Punpun's "I can't do this because I suck, and it's because I suck that I can't do this" defeatist attitude (to summarize his feelings) is pretty much in line with major depression. Additionally, Akio was constantly abused (something that was shown way back on her shoulders, though why her shoulders?) and her behavior now is also showing the same kind of signs. She says she loves him, yet it's clear she's acting out of fear. She hated her mom, but she didn't want her to die. No one really does. Her mom was plenty abusive though. Look at the way she talks, it's pretty much textbook for a verbally abusive person. "I'm all you need, no one else cares about you like I do" (while making the other person littler than themselves.) You can see how much of a manipulator she was (verbally abusive people are) by the fact she could walk just fine, it was just how she was able to control Akio.

So now Akio says she loves him, but not truly. She hates him for murdering her mom (even though it began in self defense), but she has no one else and if he's not around she'll be truly alone. It's why she wanted to stab his eye out, but also why she failed to go through with it.

Punpun's current self is the result of his actions throughout the years, how he treats others and himself. "You reap what you sow". This was just the....push out the door he needed to finally change, though obviously not in the right way.

I liked what you said by the end. I haven't thought trought that perspective. Yea he definitely changed, and only something trully spetacular could break his catharsis. But then again...i had thought he had changed when he "became" his neighbor, only to be a persona he created, hiding behind the mask. Could be the same now? I hope not, otherwise Punpun is on a entire new level of hosed up.

Not for one minute i believed in Aiko's affections, even before the tragedy. She's the personification in what a terrible, terrible upbringing could do to one's self steam and notion of "self". She saw in Punpun a reflection of herself, and lached on the oportunity. Because being miserable is at least better than being utterly alone.

Personal_Nirvana fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 31, 2012

• Locked thread