Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

As for Surfer art, there's always old school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Thanks folks. How many of them do you yhink would work as a tattoo sleeve?

I'd prefer to have one with both Surfer and Galactus

I'd go for Kirby or Tradd Moore (provided you like his style) for a tattoo sleeve. Kirby's art, in particular, really lends itself to tattoos: thick linework, simple coloring, and so on.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'd prefer to have one with both Surfer and Galactus

If you’re not going to get the Lobometer, the Moebius one with both of them on it.

My friend has had a Death of the Endless tattoo based off of Moebius art for the longest time.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Halloween Jack posted:

Speaking of Ron Lim...

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
As a member of the Eastern Orthodox Church, I do not approve of Lobo's embrace of the ancient heresy of iconoclasm. The fact that he puts it above 'splosions is especially unfortunate.

When I was ten my dad took me to the Atlanta Fantasy Fair, and one of the skits during the masquerade was "Lobo: the Musical." If I had a time machine, one of the first things I would do is go back and record that. Either that con or that year's Dragon*Con was also the first place I saw footage of Batman: The Animated Series.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Iconoclasm bangs because it means more cool math patterns on church walls and stuff.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Who did the page where I think Galactus takes the Surfer's power and he falls as Galactus talks? I'll add this for actual content

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 4, 2020

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Keromaru5 posted:

As a member of the Eastern Orthodox Church, I do not approve of Lobo's embrace of the ancient heresy of iconoclasm. The fact that he puts it above 'splosions is especially unfortunate.

Lol. To be fair, he's more into it for the smashing things part. Eventually he'll discover the circumcellions and be over the moon.

Does anyone have the pictures from that cancelled weird fantasy Green Lantern elseworld? I can't seem to find them any more, but I loved looking at them and I wish it had gotten published.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Selachian posted:

I've always wanted to see Adam Copeland (aka Edge) play Lobo. I think he'd be perfect.

Watch "The Money Plane" to reassess Adam Copeland's acting skills.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

catlord posted:

Lol. To be fair, he's more into it for the smashing things part. Eventually he'll discover the circumcellions and be over the moon.
I had to look that up, but I think I can see why Lobo would be into that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I cannot find it in my library because I can’t remember what it was tied to but there was a tie-in to Infinity about Silver Surfer trying to stay ahead of the builder invasion that had some gorgeous art. He shows up in a skull planet I think and everyone freaks out he’s coming ahead of Galactus then the robots show up and he fight them.

It was one of those motion comics Marvel did back then. But the art was legit.

Indeed.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lurdiak posted:

Watch "The Money Plane" to reassess Adam Copeland's acting skills.

https://youtu.be/VSXHUikakTY?t=104

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
If acting skills didn't matter, superhero movie casts would be exusively from WWE.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

I would only get a Coolometer tattooed if it was free of dated references, which is rare to nonexistent.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Future proof it with vagueness and things that are permanent.

Totally Cool - Cool things

- Hitting a jukebox so it starts playing a rad song

- Some stuff

- Hitting a jukebox so it starts playing one of the stultifying compositions of Edvard Grieg

Totally not cool - poo poo that sucks

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Who did the page where I think Galactus takes the Surfer's power and he falls as Galactus talks?

That's GodJack Kirby, with Stan Lee writing, in their last (?) collaboration: Silver Surfer: The Ultimate Cosmic Experience (1978)

e: found it by searching "silver surfer dunghills of man"

Phy fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 11, 2020

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Push El Burrito posted:

Nobody wants to eat Fruit By The Centimeter.

We wouldn't get that since it's not "Fruit by the inch"

We would get "Fruit by the meter"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Decimeters are a thing :(

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Phy posted:

That's GodJack Kirby, with Stan Lee writing, in their last (?) collaboration: Silver Surfer: The Ultimate Cosmic Experience (1978)

e: found it by searching "silver surfer dunghills of man"

The thing I always love about this is that you think it’d have been easier for Kirby to draw a consistent set of rooftops, but that wasn’t the King’s style. He would draw so feverishly to keep up that pace of kinetic action, the buildings took those erratic shapes.

I wish I could find whatever interview it was where he was asked how he knew when a fight scene should wrap up, and he said “When my arm gets tired.” explaining how that gave his fights an authentic energy. You can see it in a lot Kirby’s books where you’d get a great fight scene, and then they’d have to wrap the issue up in two pages, squeezing as much text as they can into each panel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wish i could het an animated tattoo. I get that page as a rotating panel.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
This reminded me of how much I enjoyed a particular issue of Fantastic Four from my youth, inks and pencils by Simonson:

You don't mess around with continuity on Chronomonitor Mark's watch.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I adore Simonson's Fantastic Four. I think that and the Allred/Fraction FF are the only times that property has really clicked for me.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

That poor Kymellian.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Has Thing grown rocky Liefeld-pouches and a mohawk?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Imagine how Supergirl feels.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Elfface posted:

Has Thing grown rocky Liefeld-pouches and a mohawk?

Yeah, he got exposed to more cosmic radiation at some point and mutated further. Then he got turned back into Ben Grimm for awhile ("Again? That trick never works!") before returning to the version we all know and love.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

You'd think this look would have happened in the 90's but it was the late 80's

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

At first glance it looks like someone trying to make him more 90s eXtreem but to be fair he wasn't the only Marvel character given a new look in the 80s and when it comes to Thing there's not a whole lot you can do for a guy who's made out of rock.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What if

Hear me out

What if we made him out of different kinds of rocks

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, when the FF tried to go 90's, that was when Sue put on a skimpier outfit, Reed died, and Ben got his face mangled by Wolverine and wore a helmet.

(Which I'm pretty sure involves a continuity error with Fatal Attractions, but it's been years since I've ready any of these issues, so I'll spare everyone the nerdery.)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe he can get a some plasterers in to give him a nice coat of render.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

What if

Hear me out

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

What if

Hear me out

Spider-Man saw success with a black costume. They could do obsidian Thing. Oh man, maybe he could go by Grimm Obsidian and be the most 90s redesign ever. He can be made of black rock and dress like The Cure. "The time for pugilation is at hand!"

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Lobok posted:

Spider-Man saw success with a black costume. They could do obsidian Thing. Oh man, maybe he could go by Grimm Obsidian and be the most 90s redesign ever. He can be made of black rock and dress like The Cure. "The time for pugilation is at hand!"

Add pouch bandoliers, a villain named "Dismay" or "Entropy" or something, and attach a star artist that will only manage to put out one issue every 3-7 months and you've got an Image comic.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

goatface posted:

Maybe he can get a some plasterers in to give him a nice coat of render.

Cracked #306 (1996)

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Hulk Smash! posted:

You'd think this look would have happened in the 90's but it was the late 80's

He looks really mad that someone left a potholder on his head.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Keromaru5 posted:

Yeah, when the FF tried to go 90's, that was when Sue put on a skimpier outfit, Reed died, and Ben got his face mangled by Wolverine and wore a helmet.

The 90s! Hologram covers! Skimpy outfits! Badass helmets! Big guns! Ammo pouches! Leather jackets! Fishing vests! To the EXXXTREME!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

My first time noticing that Johnny is wearing a jacket on that cover.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Unstable molecules are p OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I really like Simonson's kind of loose, weird blocky style. It seems like it shouldn't work but he really pulls it off and I find his stuff is just so...I dunno...interesting to look at. He'd be fun to ink. I used to have that "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way" book way back in the day and me and my friend used to take turns inking the pencil drawings in it. You might be surprised to see how different they came out and, doing that exercise, I really learned a lot back then about how much an inker really contributes.