Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Guest Starring Black Canary
and Her Broken Zipper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Splint Chesthair posted:

Guest Starring Black Canary
and Her Broken Zipper

Thats what you notice and not her 360noscope spine issue?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Bald man Scream crying is my favourite unnecessary cover poo poo,next to captain anerica and the floating mannequin head.

There's hair, it's just draped over the black haired lady's shoulder for some weird reason

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Zil posted:

Thats what you notice and not her 360noscope spine issue?

It had already been addressed.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
The rest of the covers are less egregious, but the artist certainly has some interesting ideas about mouths.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There’s something about anime inspired western art of the (I presume) 2000’s that just unsettles me. It’s like they had the basics of the style explained to them (big eyes and mouth) and didn’t actually see any pictures

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, I love manga, and those are masterclasses in not understanding the medium. The art style means that you really have to push the expressions with a bit of cartoon elasticity, even relatively neutral ones, in a way that western cape comics don't, which is why everyone has this corpse-eyed look to them. The guy in the black suit on the third cover is actually pretty good in that regard, he's larger than life, but looks relaxed and naturally posed.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 22, 2021

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Chinston Wurchill posted:

The rest of the covers are less egregious, but the artist certainly has some interesting ideas about mouths.

I was gonna ask why GA looks younger than Arsenal, but I assume that was the era when Oliver was dead and Connor Hawke was using the name.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Hulk Smash! posted:

Is that needle supposed to represent drug use? Giving someone an embolism? Both?

Drugs. Like Robin became Nightwing, Speedy became Arsenal (And sometimes Red Arrow).

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
well with a name like "speedy", what did you expect?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Are you asking for a chaaaallenge?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Selachian posted:

I was gonna ask why GA looks younger than Arsenal, but I assume that was the era when Oliver was dead and Connor Hawke was using the name.

That's Connor yeah.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
https://twitter.com/kthorjensen/status/1385387587540422657

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I know this comic is a bit more recent, but I considering how many cowboy/historical comics used to get made back in the first half of the 20th century, I wonder if knowing how to draw a horse back then was just a mandatory skill for any artist or illustrator. Like how you couldn't get a job in golden age Hollywood unless you knew how to ride a horse, because they were making hundreds of cowboy films a year.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Namor, NO

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
I guess it's up to me, then.

SEA HORSE

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Madkal posted:

Black Canary (I assume that's her) developing the power to rotate her spine 360 degrees is what is making my gasp in horror

And she's GI Joe'ing her abdomen around only for Arsenal's bow to get in the way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Rik Mays drew a Kabuki mini and it's gorgeous. And there's some good stuff in that Arsenal mini but yeah, the 90's anime style that was popular has not aged all too well.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Just some incredible artistic groupthink in that era. Manga was slowly but steadily filtering into the west and yet they still all just aped that Adam Warren/Antarctic Press style.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Batman Black & White #5. Love that Freeze design!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm not sure I've seen anything from James Stokoe that didn't deserve to be posted in this thread with 'holy poo poo.' Every page of Godzilla: The Half-Century War is amazing.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

catlord posted:

I'm not sure I've seen anything from James Stokoe that didn't deserve to be posted in this thread with 'holy poo poo.' Every page of Godzilla: The Half-Century War is amazing.

Yeah, Stokoe is a national treasure.

I've been working through the Brubaker Cap run and although the art (mostly Steve Epting so far) is generally good I was amused to see Sharon Carter abruptly replaced with a different federal agent at some point in Civil War.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Red Sonja looking awfully Yaranaika.

Marvel Feature #4 (1976)
Pencils/Inks: Frank Thorne

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
Going back through the 80s Spectacular Spider-Man and some of the covers were absolutely gorgeous. Covers back then were absolutely eye-catching and they really stretched the creative limit on PPSSM

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Yeah, Stokoe is a national treasure.

I've been working through the Brubaker Cap run and although the art (mostly Steve Epting so far) is generally good I was amused to see Sharon Carter abruptly replaced with a different federal agent at some point in Civil War.

That's not his best work. The art he did for Velvet was far better.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
bane looks like he’s been on chemo,batman’s got 500 teeth and his eyes are sliding off his head.

Also Killer croc has a jerry curl?

Also no feet,and batman’s foot stopped existing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

lol the no feet phenomenon is so blatant there :kimchi:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

The loving shite is this?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

heh more like ~The Rippler~ amirite

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Two face taking a particularly sideways poo poo.

i kinda like this for just how bizarre it is.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

I dig cultist Joker, but that cat lady's waist is almost as thin as her bicep.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That rules. Needs to be full-size to appreciate the horror in the woman's face.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

"drat. Ground floor already."

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

While I know it's probably a batarang, the size of the thingy in the middle makes me see something else... Like you'd hold the rounded edge and fight in melee with it...

It's a Bat-leth.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

I dig cultist Joker, but that cat lady's waist is almost as thin as her bicep.

Her whole torso is an escher-girls classic.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

heh more like ~The Rippler~ amirite

Clearly you need to watch (season 2 of) the Harley Quinn show.

(Season one is also very good, but season 2 has a jacked Riddler.)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The loving shite is this?

IIRC, there was a brief period where the Riddler turned himself into a muscleman with Bane's venom.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Riddle me this, Batman. What is black and blur with red all over?

You after they scrap your remains off the sidewalk!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

I really like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Selachian posted:

IIRC, there was a brief period where the Riddler turned himself into a muscleman with Bane's venom.

Technically Bane dosed him so that Batman would have an unexpected tough fight after solving Riddler's puzzles. It was part of Bane loving with Batman from the sidelines before taking him down.