Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Ms. Ferris, I promise we'll find the bastard who glued medicine balls to your collarbones!

Probably a protege of that sick gently caress, Dogwelder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

These are great, but why is he singling out Hawkeye for ridicule?

He's singling out oversexualized depictions of women in comics for ridicule. Hawkeye just gets the job.

(Plus Jeremy Renner is loving everywhere these days so it only makes sense)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

7744 posted:

I was thinking about how ironic it was that she was calling out 'sexist pervo pigs' while the page depicts her in a broke back pose.

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=336

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Capacitor posted:

She looks like Samantha Carter. I think this is a good thing.

Could Captain Marvel blow up a sun?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gatts posted:

Makes sense to me. Thumb back there, pointing finger there, rest of it is an enclosed hand. I liked the art quite a bit.

Ohh, you're saying the pointing finger is below the thumb, pointing out of the page. That's a funny looking thumb then but it makes sense.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

The PC version of the Spider-Man 2 game had web icons floating above the middle of the street. You had to aim at them with your mouse. It was pretty bad.

A neat thing about the open-world Spider-Man games is that your weblines would not fire if you were above the skyline. They still seemed to attach to points in thin air.

See, I remember Spider-Man 2 on the console requiring you to websling off of real objects. Bruce Campbell made a big deal out of it at the start of the game. Now, those objects could be skyscrapers, antennas, lampposts, the aforementioned passing helicopter... trees if you were in Central Park. I'm sure the game fudged your aim for you but I don't recall the webline anchoring in thin air, unless it was the sort of thing where the helicopter's hitbox extended between its landing skids, so it looked like the line was dangling a foot below the fuselage. Which, given that it was the original Xbox/PS2, is excusable.

Webslinging in that game was fun as poo poo.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The skrulls look like they were caught in Farmer Hank's silo, stealing his grain.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kurzon posted:

You think that's bad? Check out this page from Avengers: Initiative 35. Look at the last panel.

Being the wife of a supervillain is dangerous. She should get a firearm of some kind. I'm thinking something with a lot of stopping power, like a light machine gun. Fabrique National makes a good one.

It's called the Minimi.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Tom Petty straight up sued the Red Hot Chile Peppers for "Dani California"

He didn't, though. In fact, he was pretty chill about it, saying "I seriously doubt that there is any negative intent there. And a lot of rock & roll songs sound alike." Though he did get his publisher to send a C&D letter to George W. Bush for using one of his songs without permission,

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That can't not be Gary Busey.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Have you read American Barbarian or any of Tom Scioli's other stuff? It sounds like he kind of idolizes Kirby and has consciously pushed himself to draw similarly. I don't think it's accurate to call it a parody when that is all he does, and it's not meant in jest or mockery.

E: The coloring in TF vs Joe does remind me a lot of the 80's comics, but the linework is all Tom's style.

Phy fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 25, 2014

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

He might. Last I checked he won't sell the original of that particular page, though. :sigh:

Would you?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I thought at first this was definitely Liefeld until I saw the credits.. I did a quick Google image search for Steve Tappin, as I'd never heard of him, and I found, uh, this. Apparently from 2000AD.

Is this good? Is this bad? Is it the same Steve Tappin seen above? I... I don't know.

KANEDAAAAAA!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

warp spasm

Shorn of context, I thought a "warp spasm" might be something from WH40K that was similar to the way buddy was drawn, and buddy was drawn that way to emphasise his alienating brutality. Kind of like how Fist of the North Star drew dudes as gigantic to show they were tough and monstrously self-important.

But nope it's an actual mythological thing (that sounds like it was written to describe a rage of alienating brutality). Viking bearshirts got nothing on a warp spasm. Holy O'gently caress.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

candygram

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Do victims of ultra violence become infra dead

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are that dude's weights tiny for the same reason The Wall is?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

wayfinder posted:

Somehow I doubt that a melange of David Bowie and Tilda Swinton would produce a fat lady.

It's entirely possible if you gently caress up the Fusion Dance

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm going to be generous and assume it's wintergreen lifesavers.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

Meh, not that different from Osamu Tezuka's "Star System" I suppose, but for the fact that he clearly "casts" his "actors" onto set characters with very recognizable looks that don't match at all, like Indy up there.

Oh, let's talk Indy. I remembered that there was preproduction art for Raiders that portrayed Indy as much more of a dark-haired rock-jawed adventurer than Harrison Ford... I didn't understand at the time who the artist was, so I didn't remember his name.

It was Jim Steranko.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Looks like Indy's got a case of the ol' cottonmouth there

That's a cobra :haw:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

MMMyeah see, ya better let me, Baby Edward G Robinson, outta this freakin' papoose unless you wanna dum dum in the groceries, Wonder Broad.

The half-naked gorilla stance

The disconnected head floating eerily into frame like a permed penanggalan

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm pretty sure he didn't originally draw it that way, it was 4 panels with the viewpoint panning down and someone mocking him stitched them all together. Still a really bad drawing effort but not as blatant as that. I can't find the original panels though :shrug:

e: oh never mind, it actually is that bad

It's strange when the Liefeld version, for all its flaws, has more defined feet than the reference

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Huge Ackman

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I'm baby Edward G Robinson

Also, did the published cover really duplicate the top half of Diana's head and drag it an inch and a half to the right? Because, holy poo poo, that can't be on Miller.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

Her arch-nemesis? Diurnal Dog!

Why not just Daydog

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

He's a little too chubby, but Superman looks more like Superman without the aggressively chiseled and shiny body.

E: Behold Superdad, the best of both worlds:

It's Fleischer Superman!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Did Kirby ever do designs for an adaptation of Dune, or am I confusing it with that documentary about Jodorowski's Dune?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

haitfais posted:

It's pretty much impossible to expect everyone to like Kirby, as with any artist with such a distinctive style. Personally, I appreciate it more as a historical artifact than anything else. I can't honestly say I'd be happy to see Kirby art as we know it in a modern comic.

Tom Scioli's entire body of work

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Missionary man :

I looked the comic up because something about the pacing or the dialogue sounded suspiciously British Comics. I don't know what it is, exactly, but sometimes you can just tell. Anyway, yeah, it's out of Dredd/2000 AD, and the artist is friggin' Quitely.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Spiders-man dangling from his abdominal spinnerets

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FAT BATMAN posted:

Those gags are so incredibly Garfield, I laughed out loud. And the way he draws Silver Surfer...

The first one is almost exactly the first Garfield comic

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can't see the Duke as a mild-mannered reporter. But then, someone had him play Genghis Khan once, which is almost as much of a stretch

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Metabarons is kind of like a reimagining of it by a psychopath

A psychopath who nearly directed the movie before Lynch got anywhere near it, but the stunningly overambitious project collapsed in on itself, influencing years of science fiction filmmaking in the process

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

No one can touch Del Mundo on covers these days. Winter Soldier #11

Reminds me of 70s sci fi book covers

It is extremely Chris Foss/Peter Elson.

Man, now I wanna haul out my book of 70's SF novel illustrations. And my other book of Roger Dean album covers.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fiiiigaro! Fiiiigaro! Fiiiigaro! Fiiigaro! Figaro figarofigarofigarofigaro

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Say Nothing posted:

Same artist.

This is an image of me visiting a friend in treatment in the hospital, I accidentally touched a healing crystal and it caused my fingers to grow

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Savidudeosoo posted:

gently caress

gently caress

I HAD FORGOTTEN ABOUT THAT YOU BASTARD

My work here is done

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
You know when you're sleeping, and you're just on the verge of waking up, and you stretch your legs out cause it feels so nice, but you stretch just that little bit too far and your calf muscle goes "hey whAT THE gently caress" and you're rocketed awake by the shooting pain in your lower legs and you've got approximately eight seconds to haul yourself out of bed and stretch that muscle out by doing the "try to push the wall over" exercise, otherwise the muscle will roll itself up like a cheap window blind and you'll be hobbling around the office all morning?

These poor women all hit the nine second mark and I feel so bad for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't tend to notice actual people's teeth when they're talking, unless they're particularly dingy or snaggly or they have a bit of broccoli in there. I think drawing the individual teeth calls attention to the teeth, in the same way that drawing the little facial wrinkles we all express when we emote draws attention to them as wrinkles and can make a comic character look older than they ought to.