Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BooDooBoo posted:

I wouldn't have guessed that was Giffen, was it a layouts/finish thing with Janson doing the fine work?

I love Giffen art, but it's so distinctive I just can't line it up with what I expect from him!

Very early in his career while he was still developing his style. Defenders was his first big book, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

Yeah the stuff from the US that was anime/manga inspired was often pretty awful.

But if you know what’s the worst and the ugliest, please do post it

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MasterBuilder posted:

I can appreciate the Kirby style especially the splash or spread pages but it's the connecting panels that turn me off. It's hard to articulate why it doesn't captivate me but to each their own.

I think that's a fair criticism of Kirby, though there are lots of exceptions to that. Hulk #1 has this amazing transition from Banner screaming as the gamma bomb hits to the exact same expression as he's in the hospital.

The thing is, Kirby was a golden age comic book artist and a lot of the art then worked more as book illustrations rather than sequential art. Again, there's some pretty huge exceptions, but that's Kirby's starting point. The artists who grew up on that are the ones who started really working on panel structure and flow.

Kirby reinvented himself multiple times before age finally slowed him down. Part of that was integrating some of those techniques. But Kirby was also tended to be rigidly formal with his page layouts, probably a habit formed in the days when he was penciling 120 pages a month.