Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Joe Fisto posted:

As I recall Prime was actually a little kid in some sort of goo suit. That's what the thought a hero should look like. He went even harder-corer at one point. More of a parody I think.

'

I should reread it. I liked it a lot when I was 12.

At one point, Prime also crossed over into the Marvel Universe and teamed up with Spider-Man, and he thought that Spidey was so cool that he started turning into Spider-Prime for a while.

(IIRC, Spider-Prime eventually wound up sprouting four extra arms as well.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Red posted:

Cable toyed with Freedom Force using the tripwire trick.

The Blob's secondary mutation: 42 teeth.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I just realized why that skull looks like that -- it's supposed to be a skull with Merlyn's hair and beard.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Travis343 posted:

Editorial made Chuck Austen tell everyone Nightcrawler had two dicks, and editorial demanded a scene where Angel hosed a 16 year old girl in midair in front of her family. Gotcha.

Not to mention having She-Hulk sleep with the Juggernaut, bringing back the "Hank Pym is a wife beater" plot that no one anywhere wanted to see dragged up again, and the horror that was Nurse Annie.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Hey a little help, was this Alex Ross design ever actually used in a comic?

That's from Ross's proposed 2000 redesign of the X-Men, right? I don't believe they were ever used.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I always thought P. Craig Russell would be really good on Dr. Strange.

He did do a Strange one-shot: What Is It That Disturbs You, Stephen?

It's weird and trippy and doesn't really make a hell of a lot of sense but boy is it great to look at.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

site posted:

Is slapstick like poor man's impossible man or Jim carrey version of the mask or something what's his deal

The latter. His power is basically "operates by cartoon physics."

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Very sensible for the woman in the lower left to bring a couple of pillows to rest her arms on.

(Why I Hate Saturn is legitimately awesome though.)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's the one in the top right that really gets me. CGI comics are just terrible, and it takes a special kind of awful to think they work.

Looking at it, you're right. Mike Saenz was doing better CGI comics 30 years ago.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Lobok posted:

And here's the first panel where I thought "ahh... here's Steranko!"

This is the Marvel Universe. Wouldn't bombarding your enemy with gamma rays be a really dumb move?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Alaois posted:

Wasn't that "Electronic Tigers" or something like that, and made by the same dude who did those unintentionally amazing Right/Left/Center political comics?

Yeah, Mike Miller. He still gets kicked around the politoon thread every so often.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

My favorite example of the use of color is Dave Cockrum's redesigns for the '70s Legion of Super-Heroes costumes. Even working with a very limited color palette, he gives every Legionnaire his or her own set of colors that stood out from the others, making them immediately identifiable on the page even in crowd scenes.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ah yes, Tony Stark's Jheri Curl days.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

zoux posted:

From trying to find the process on youtube I gather most comics coloring these days is digital, but what did they use in the olden days?

Watercolor dye. (Be sure to read the comments -- some interesting stuff there too.)

Selachian fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 11, 2017

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm just finishing the Flash by Mark Waid Vol. 1 tpb and the last issue in it is Flash Annual #5 from 1992, which was part of the Eclipso: The Darkness Within event, and it's got some very entertaining Rogues interactions and funny dialogue, paired with the most incongruous Image-style art from Travis Charest which makes it tough to enjoy. It's not bad art but it just doesn't fit the story at all. It's a story that really demands somebody like Mike Wieringo or Alan Davis on it.

Well, that's the 90s for you. Image-style art was where the bux were.

My favorite example is Herb Trimpe. He was a long-time Marvel guy, best known for his work on the Hulk, and he had a style that was somewhat Kirby-derivative:

And then in the 90s he decided to start working in the style that The Kidz liked, and producing stuff like this:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Of course, that's not the first time that Marvel tried to do a hero based on a real person. Back in the 70s there was the Human Fly ("The Wildest Super-Hero Ever -- Because He's Real!"), based very loosely on stuntman Rick Rojatt. You may note some artistic license has been taken.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

a kitten posted:

Ok, first of all: who the hell says "singing sensation"? Unless they were describing a 60's novelty act or something.

On second viewing, I would also note that they hosed up the premier / premiere distinction. Unless that was actually supposed to be the best issue ever.

(Also, note the registered trademark symbol after "Super Hero," 'cause Marvel and DC own that.)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Madkal posted:

The world just isn't ready for the diaper/suspenders combo, but one day it will be.

Unless you're a pro wrestler.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

purple death ray posted:

I think it's way more likely that you just grew up than kids shows suddenly became poo poo. I have the same line in the sand drawn right behind Rocko's Modern Life, and stuff like Angry Beavers or Hey Arnold did nothing for me. But I have encountered people who are a bit older than I am who have that line between Ren and Stimpy and Rocko. There's people younger with fond memories of all this poo poo. Everything is relative.

I'm a child of the 70s/80s and most 90s cartoons leave me cold (with some exceptions, like The Tick and Powerpuff Girls). I find Rugrats and stuff like Cow and Chicken that tries to ape the Kricfalusi sstyle repellent to watch. So yeah, tastes change.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

zoux posted:

This is Gillian Anderson as Bowie in American Gods. It looks like a Jamie McKelvie piece irl.

McKelvie is one of my favorite artists, I love his clean lines and flat palette. I just wish it was easier and affordable to get hands on some of his artwork.

Yeah, when I saw that pic I immediately thought of Lucifer from The Wicked + The Divine, who's also inspired by Bowie (although more toward the Thin White Duke end of things).

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

zoux posted:

From a Huffpo clickbait article What if superheroes had more realistic bodies:

That isn't that far off from how Wayne Boring used to draw Supes. Even Curt Swan drew him as more beefy than ripped.

Oh, and everyone should read Master of Kung Fu. It's Doug Moench's love letter to two disparate genres: chopsocky action films and British adventure novels.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

I liked it as a kid but I'm not sure how it's different than Ennis' various poo poo takes on heroes over the years, other than the main character isn't as unbearably smug as his are.

That's why I enjoy Marshal Law and can't stand Ennis -- Mills and O'Neill can take the piss out of superheroes without implying that you're an immature idiot if you actually like superheroes.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

Is that Devil Dinosaur? :psyduck:

It certainly is.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Herb Trimpe used to do a pretty good pseudo-Kirby back in the day, although he switched to pseudo-Liefeld when the 90s rolled around.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Gaunab posted:

Batman continues to have weird proportions

More like Squatman, amirite?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Neal Adams's variant cover for Green Arrow #10. I can only assume Adams had a minor stroke and temporarily forgot everything he knew about how human anatomy works.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhyno posted:

It's s shame most comic artists can't afford to gracefully retire.

Did you know that Neal Adams also designed the Nasonex bee? Artists gotta eat, of course.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYHjI-xBJ-i/?taken-by=robliefeld

Wolverine modeled from John Byrne by a 15 year old Robbie Liefeld :)

I notice that he's already got his Cool Artist Signature down pat.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The Brother Power the Geek.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Paris Cullins, 1980s:

Paris Cullins, 1990s:

Although that was less an artistic evolution than a deliberate attempt to ape the Image style. He's since gone back to something more like his original work.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

I think his cape work in the 60s for Marvel was pretty bad. I think maybe it’s because Trimpe was always aping styles. He’s got kind of a Kirby attitude towards perspective and consistency (ie. he often ignores it), without the talent to back it up.

I first encountered Trimpe's work in the old Shogun Warriors comic and the way he drew machinery was totally Kirby-swiped (krackles and all), but he drew faces and people in a more Sal Buscema-ish style.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Aping Liefeld only bears this out. He was like the ultimate house artist. I think they had him ape Kirby, then Buscema and, I guess Liefeld. Never seen the Liefeld/Trimpe style and I'm g;ad because, Jesus Christ, that sounds awful.

can someone post some examples? Google is failing me.

Here's one.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

what the heck is the mmms

Merry Marvel Marching Society. The official Marvel fan club.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Even so, I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to take away from that Blue Beetle story. It doesn't seem to me like the bad guy is trying to blame his shortcomings on others or on society so much as he's opposed to the idea that anyone could be genuinely heroic or altruistic - he keeps talking about exposing Blue Beetle's "heroic pose" - which I believe is itself a tenet of objectivism as Rand expressed it, so it seems odd that Ditko would give that position to one of his villains.

I see it as a version of Rand's take on John Galt or Howard Roark -- the idea that some people are simply better than others, which leads jealous mediocrities to try and drag them down.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

For whatever reason, jodhpurs are the favored legwear of pulp and pulp-evocative heroes. See Doc Savage, for instance.

The Rocketeer also wore 'em.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I just don't understand this Japanese adaptation of Zippy the Pinhead.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Weren't the Superman covers/concepts created before anything was written, and the writers were left to fend for themselves when trying to come up with a story that had anything to do with the cover? That's what I heard. I assume they had a lot of "it was all a dream" endings.

Yeah, that kind of thing was a Mort Weisinger special. Weisinger also used to come up with stories by asking the kids in his neighborhood what they wanted to see Superman do.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I like that she drew Kirby with a cigar jammed in the corner of his mouth.

David D. Davidson posted:

I don't know where you live but, Surge has been back in gas stations around here for a few years now.

Whenever anyone mentions Surge I still think of this guy:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Shouldn't Mirror Universe Riker be clean-shaven?

And Mirror Universe Data is a Borg? Interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

Yeah, and Sejic as I recall got some hand injury or just hit the wall when he worked on it. Not sure if the Rat Queens curse struck another artist after that or not.

Ohhhhh boy did it. Tess Fowler managed to make it to six issues, and what exactly happened is a rather messy case of "he said, she said." Fowler claims she was pushed out to bring back Upchurch as the artist (which, of course, didn't happen and would be an insane move for Wiebe and Image to make given how much publicity the case has gotten). Wiebe just claimed creative differences.