Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Equeen posted:

Can you elaborate, I'm not quite sure what you mean here? Azzarello is co-writing DKIII and will probably be the one to tone down or rework any of Miller's crazy ideas.

That's a very optimistic assumption. Miller is on a whole 'nother level, as far as extant creative clout with DC, than Azzarello. If it comes down to Miller vs Azzarello on some crazy, controversial plot idea, the odds are VERY good that DC editorial will side with Miller, citing that long-past era where he was legitimately one of the best comic makers in the world. That residual glow of talent is, after all, why they're paying him to do DKIII in the first place, and DC likely knows that arguing over Miller's insanity is a great way to ensure that the book is never completed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Toadstrieb posted:

I really don't get how anyone could produce this piece and think, "hey, it's good enough work to go to mass market bearing my name".

I dabbled in doing some illustration work at a few points in my life, but I realized, each time, that while I can draw well enough to entertain myself/enjoy what I'm doing, no one else really wants to see my work--this isn't some sadbrains bullshit or self-pity, I don't think, it's just self-awareness.

I honestly don't understand how this dude has been cranking out sub-DeviantArt work for how many decades now and still being put on covers, let alone interiors. This poo poo cannot improve the marketability of any book.

So whose rear end does he know how to kiss? Or kick? Basically, how is this still happening?

Liefeld's a name, he's created a few notable characters, and he's more or less consistent as an artist and creator. Sure, his art is not good, but it sells, and you can reasonably expect him to finish a project on time.

It also probably helps that unlike other names, Liefeld isn't hard to get.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

He did confirm that rescue rangers started as literally Magnum PI with cartoons, when they sat down to write they said, "well we cant have them doing drugs" so the added other things to make it what it became. Its just interesting to me that the base wasn't The Rescuers, or Indian Jones, loving Magnum PI was the foundation!

Makes sense to me. Magnum PI was one of America's biggest cultural trends during the time period in which Rescue Rangers was in development. If you're going to spoof more mature entertainment with mass appeal via a kids cartoon show in the early 90s, Magnum PI is a no-brainer.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Rhyno posted:

What an awesome dude.

You hear some weird stories about him over the years and figure he's some sort of whacko and hey, he's cool!

You heard stories? I just assumed he was a whacko because he always plays a whacko. Like how Crispin Glover always plays awkward-to-the-point-of-seeming-alien weirdos because he's legitimately an awkward-to-the-point-of-seeming-alien weirdo in reality.

Glad to hear D'Onofrio is just a cool guy who's really good at acting.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Don Heck is what you would call a journeyman artist, and I have nothing but respect for him.

I think the biggest problem with Don Heck is that his style is so aesthetically synonymous with the era it was created in that it's hard not to view it was antiquated, and sadly, Heck lacks the kind of outre, surreal genius of Jack Kirby that makes his relatively dated style still amazing. Heck's work is solid and even impressive for its era, but it's not quite impressive enough to be timeless.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

GPTribefan posted:

Not really.... he had his own style in Amazing Spider-Man that didn't really homage anyone. And once he got off the Kirby riff he went for a Simonson vibe on Thor. His 90s Fantastic Four was decent, but never had a Kirby feel to it. I always loved Frenz' work, he always had some dynamic covers and solid interiors.

On the other hand, Rich Buckler tried so hard to ape Kirby on Fantastic Four in the early 70s and it looked awful.

You could do a lot worse than aping Walt Simonson on a Thor run. Like, for instance, not aping Walt Simonson.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Phy posted:

The first one is almost exactly the first Garfield comic

Wait, are you saying that Jim Davis is lazily coasting on the strength of his one early success?

THE HELL YOU SAY!

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Jedit posted:

It's a really fitting recycling of the joke, though. I chuckled.

I did too, but I’m a soulless monster.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Lobok posted:

Did not know Moebius did Marvel stuff!

Sounds pretty drat awesome. Written by Stan Lee himself.

http://marvel1980s.blogspot.ca/2011/01/1988-silver-surfer-parable.html?m=1

Holy jumping! And the whole thing is on Marvel Unlimited!

I'm in awe of this page:

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

If you love Moebius, chances are you'll also love Druillet:

gently caress. That’s some ART.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Lobok posted:

To me it's honestly still hard to believe that we got the Hulkbuster armour in action in not just one film, but two. It wasn't that long ago that it would show up in a list along the likes of "did you know Spider-Man once beat up a herald of Galactus?" or "did you know Captain America was a werewolf for a while?" Now it's common knowledge among the general public.

Speaking of which, I’d pay good money to see Spider-Man’s dune buggy in the MCU.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

The Man Called Detective Chimp

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

site posted:

Reading the infinite loop v1 and I'm kinda in love with elsa charretier's art and every girl she draws

That’s lovely.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

Art from 70 year old legend, José Luis García-López for the upcoming Action Comics #1000
https://www.newsarama.com/39450-new-action-comics-1000-bendis-lee-first-look-more.html

It's the facial variation that really gets me. Every person is unique and expressive, with appropriate emotions clearly visible in their expressions. It's a subtle thing, but it's so damned impressive compared to the vast majority of other artists.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Black Panther has the most adorable lil' ears! I totally wanna give him tummy scritches.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Reminds of Sergio Aragones, whose art style is deceptive at the level of detail he puts into his art

Agreed. It's like Aragones doing Hieronymus Bosch with just a hint of ukiyo-e stylization.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Sure, it's terrible, but I just can't hate on this lil' fella. Look how hard he's trying to be cool!

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Ferrule posted:

Good? Bad? Whatever you decide, Frank Miller will sell you this original piece for $9,000.

I’m glad to see Miller’s doing more coherent work again.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

This Salad Fingers reboot is loving weird.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Honestly, putting aside the quality of Miller's art skill, I just don't get the splatter. If he wanted to add a little artistic flair to the image with an ink splatter, why go overboard like that? You can barely make out most of Superman's body, nullifying most of the work he did. Why do it at this stage, and not during color? And what thematic reason relating to Superman is there for that ink splatter, anyway?

It really just looks like he hosed up and spilled ink on a drawing and now he's trying to cash in on it anyway.

The answer to that question (and all questions regarding Miller's work over the prior two decades) is "9/11 broke his loving brain."

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Nonvalueadded User posted:

I like the cut of your parenting jib. Have them reason things out for themselves (with appropriate guidance). My daughter hated the Socratic Method growing up (applied from everything from homework to consequences for bad behavior) but now credits it as the cornerstone of her analytic brain.

Wow.

Well, that's one way to ensure your child grows up to despise you.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

That hair placement is unfortunate.

Look man, she’s Greek. Cut her some slack. There’s only so much tweezing a person can do.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

purple death ray posted:

Did a Midwestern comedy club circa 1987 get loose in this thread all of a sudden or

I'm not sure what you mean. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to smash this watermelon with an oversized mallet.

Archyduke posted:

Also I should know better than to engage but its 2018, if your typing fingers are itchy to type out a joke that reduces to "lmfao what if a woman had pubes" please slam them in a car door.

I hate to defend Say Nothing, but the joke was the artist's inability to recognize where hair should end, lest it appear her pubes are peaking out of her costume. Not that women have pubic hair.

ecavalli fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 12, 2018

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Ditko was a fan of idealized individualism and believed blaming personal failings on society just gave people an excuse to be lovely. He felt that art that communicated powerlessness in the face of systemic problems was weak and morally bankrupt. He felt that art should "elevate the common man". Basically if your life sucks, you have the power to change it and it's nobody else's fault, and trying to blame the world for your lot can only make you a villain.

It's just a slightly different take on Thatcher's beliefs.

"They are casting their problems at society. And, you know, there's no such thing as society. There are individual men and women and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look after themselves first. It is our duty to look after ourselves and then, also, to look after our neighbours."

So ... Ditko probably voted for Trump, huh?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

David D. Davidson posted:

Wow, it's missing the feet and everything.
EDIT: Okay on second look the packages are a little too small.

Legit question: Are you talking about their dicks, or do you just have an odd way of spelling “pouches?”

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

All these Atlanteans look alike to me.

Sounds like Lurdiak owns a Make Atlantis Great Again hat.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

zoux posted:

Dunno anything about this guy so sorry if he's a gamergater but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bshNOtERfVI

20 minute video breaking down why Greg Land sucks

Not a gamergater as far as I know, he's just a lovely, lazy artist.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Salad Fingers is big in Japan.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

That honestly looks like Superman hosed up and jumped too high and doesn't know how to get back down.

Don’t worry. He’s like a cat stuck in a tree. He’ll find his way down once he gets hungry.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Lobok posted:

Will that cage kill him?

Yes and no. Simultaneously.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

To be honest, the nineties kinda sucked.

Hot take, coming through!

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

The series is about a massacre occurring at a place the Justice League set up to serve as PTSD therapy for the superhero/villain world. Poison Ivy (among others) died. Wally West is somehow involved (in what way and why is the mystery of the series.)
Harley Quinn had thrown a rose off of a bridge in remembrance. Wally picked it up, plants it here and is about to work speed force magic on it to grow Ivy back to life.
She comes back all biologically planty, so is probably more like Swamp Thing now.

edit: The rest of the flowers probably aren't significant beyond being there for a neat looking title spread.

That spoiler text sounds like an interesting direction. Is it actually interesting, or should I just assume DC will/has already hosed it up in the usual DC fashion?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah it's pretty bizarre. Regardless, I can find photos of physical printed versions of the issue that don't have the error. Maybe a marketing person messed up when sending out promo images and grabbed the wrong one? Hard to say, but I doubt you can blame Miller as the computer part of the drawing is not his part.

I seem to remember that hosed up photoshop version appearing on these forums (to much mockery) well before the book shipped, so I think you're right about it being a pre-release promo image. I could be misremembering though.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

What were contemporaneous reviews of those like? How did people respond?

Bewilderment. Disbelief. Lots of "Frank Miller has completely lost his poo poo."

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Man, I was reading a comic book art thread somewhere and people were bagging on Bill Sienkiewicz for some unknown reason.

God, I hope that was some especially subtle trolling, otherwise that thread was full of loving morons.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

prefect posted:

It's German.

Obligatory: No one who speaks German could be an evil man!

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Sienkiewicz is so drat good. As a human being, I’m offended he’s got so much drat talent packed into him.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Darthemed posted:

Resident Evil #4 (1998)
Artist: Rafael Kayanan

Given Capcom’s history with cross-media properties, the direction the RE movies went in, and 90s-era comics in general, yeah, this definitely is a Resident Evil comic from 1998.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Don Rosa Time is always acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

I can't even imagine how you even come up with this technique, let alone make amazing art with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-dVKbuLE4U

What the?

Maybe everyone else has been doing art wrong this whole time?