Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Jordan7hm posted:

Random art from stuff I’ve been reading lately:

I definitely recall Melting Pot, interesting mix with Eastman and Biz. The Spider-Man Hooky graphic novel was a favorite read as a youngun, Bernie Wrightson illustrates the most bitchin' monsters. However, the wizard girl who was supposed to be like 15 (?) in it was drawn very inconsistently. In one panel she'd look like a teenager and in the next she'd look like modern-day Martina Navratilova.

I seem to recall reading Dave Sim talking about watching Wrightson's inking style with a brush; according to Sim, Bernie would dip the brush in ink, roll it on a paper towel or cloth or something to hone it to the finest point, make a single brush stroke, then dip and repeat. I am unsure whether that's true but DS said that he'd be a giant ball of nerves and agitation if forced to work in that style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

Man, I was reading a comic book art thread somewhere and people were bagging on Bill Sienkiewicz for some unknown reason.

I went down a Moon Knight rabbit hole and holy poo poo look at these covers

https://www.google.com/search?q=bil...iw=1496&bih=686

Sienkiewicz is just sick. Transcended the medium which is hard to do.

Badmouthing Bill Sienkiewicz should be punishable by death.

Darthemed posted:

Batman/Punisher: Lake of Fire (1994)
Barry Kitson and James Pascoe are the credited artists.
I have no idea why this weird-rear end head reminded me of him -- perhaps the stare -- but then I realized that a Walton Goggins Punisher would be awesome, incidentally

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Apparently this is the current cartoon incarnation:

I'm not really sure what to think, but I'm gonna go with "it's not aimed at me so whatever".

The Zulli TMNT will always be my jam

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Flesh Forge posted:

going back to this, in contrast I love it, in part because of the, well, the contrast :kiddo:
both the negative space use so you have a clear idea of who is where, and in the bottom right panel where the protags are very clearly differentiated from their opponents, you know exactly who is who and where they are, what they are doing

I remember reading it when I was much younger (12 maybe) and it was such a weird and different but awesome take on the characters. Zulli wrote it all too so to call it "trippy" would be rather an understatement.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Begemot posted:

The average comic book artist has the same ability to draw a child as a medieval monk, apparently.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

SacrificialGoat posted:

I know the thread title discourages Liefieldposting, but here's 3 and a half minutes of Stan Lee making GBS threads on his art.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU

I have all of those tapes on VHS. I used to watch them over and over (no Overkill jokes please)

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Action Jacktion posted:

That was not long after the first live-action movie came out and they were trying to make the comic characters look more like the movie characters. I think they realized pretty quickly how horrifying they looked and dropped it.

Because of the vertical line in the middle, I envision Prime's face "shield" opening up sideways, like the Predator alien.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

funtax posted:

Basically, every Surfer image Tradd Moore has ever produced.

That rules.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Folks, gimme your coolest Silver Surfer art
This one more for Galactus, but I like how James Stokoe made Surfer so clean and organic while almost everything else is angular and chaotic.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

I really like Simonson's kind of loose, weird blocky style. It seems like it shouldn't work but he really pulls it off and I find his stuff is just so...I dunno...interesting to look at. He'd be fun to ink. I used to have that "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way" book way back in the day and me and my friend used to take turns inking the pencil drawings in it. You might be surprised to see how different they came out and, doing that exercise, I really learned a lot back then about how much an inker really contributes.

Yeah, inking is very transformative when done by a skilled hand. I like seeing detailed versions of pencils/inks to see the level of looseness/tightness that the artist provides for the pencils, and how the inker interprets them. Jim Lee and Scott Williams shared this one on Twitter which is fun to see.

https://twitter.com/ScottW_inks/status/1300085865444601857

He's not a super-big name in comics but I'm friends with Mark Nelson, who did the artwork for the first Dark Horse "Aliens" series, and he shares his pencils and inks all the time on Facebook. Look up his work if you're a fan of critters, dinosaurs, and mystical-looking mages. He inks his own work, so his pencils range from pretty loose to super tight; he still adds in a tremendous amount of texture in the inking process.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

david_a posted:

Oh poo poo

I read episodes 1, 2, and 6 of that when I was a kid and ended up tracking down the TPB like 20 years later because the art stuck with me (and I wanted know what happened!)
I also read it as a kid and loved it, I wish the movies had followed that story path. He used a lot of craftint doubletone in his art back then which looked quite nice integrated into the inks, the curious thing is that I haven't seen him use it much, if at all, since then.

It was pretty rad when he lived here in Madison for a while -- I was able to go to his house/studio to interview him as part of my final portfolio class in college. He had a huge room full of comic books and pulled out his Fantastic Fours. He had FF #2 in a bag and, I poo poo ya not, took it out and gave it to me and said "take a look, they're meant to be read." It's pretty cool that this guy I idolized as a kid will comment on my art posts on Facebook and compliment my ink work.

Lobok posted:

Beyond the shading choices you can see how much the inks make and define Bane's neck.

I follow Francis Manapul on Instagram and he's a triple threat because he'll do pencils, inks, and colours sometimes and he posts a lot of process videos so you can see a piece go from basic breakdowns all the way to finished product.

Cool, thanks for the heads up, I'm always looking to check out artists I'm unaware of. I'm old and have definitely not kept up on any current artists since I'll just pick up a finished TPB here and there, but I still follow guys like Jock, Sienkiewicz (of course), and Kenneth Rocafort.

For good comic art content, I'm on a big Toppi kick right now (old school, I know) and his compositions and shading were so badass

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
This might be something controversial given his completely bizarre and unacceptable views on gender, but I recently read Dave Sim's "glamourpuss." It would be quite an understatement to say that it's rather esoteric and bizarre in the "fashion magazine satire" parts, but within that veneer lies a very interesting and exhaustive analysis of the evolution of the artistic styles used in comic art. He focuses on the artists Milt Caniff, Alex Raymond, and Stan Drake, and while the narrative follows a biographic description of their lives and the styles, the art consists of portraits and recreations of their panels with Sim attempting to use the same tools as them (either brush or pen). As an artist myself I found it rather interesting, and with all of his personality faults, Sim is still a masterful pen artist. Goddamn, he's one whom I wish hadn't fallen off the deep end as I love "Cerebus."

Anywho, here are a few choice panels from "glamourpuss." The fashion parts still include some rad art, which are almost entirely recreations of photos and advertisements from Vogue or Cosmo or some poo poo. But I skipped almost all of that, it lost me after reading a few pages.

(I hope these images aren't too large, I forget what the rules are for width/tables/whatever. They fit on my screen but I'll edit if they're out of the bounds)

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

How Wonderful! posted:

I think a lot of Yoshitako Amano stuff is really beautiful and lovely.

That Harley Quinn illustration is maybe not him at his best nor really playing to his strengths but I think he puts a number of charming personal touches on it. The detailing on her pipe and bat, the superhero bubbles coming out... I dunno. I like it well enough!

Kind of late to put in my two cents, but while these ones you posted are awesome, the other stuff in the thread looks pretty bad to me, especially the coloring -- looks like poorly-blended colored pencil work. Don't get me wrong, I like looser artists for sure and I'm not much of a fan of house style/realism attempt comic art, I'd much rather see artists like Sienkiewicz and Egon Schiele (not comics I know, duh). It's just kind of strange when you see art like what you posted and the awesome Vampire Hunter D cover, then see the other work posted which (to me, in my subjective opinion, of course) looks like another less-skilled artist's work. Almost like when Liefeld posted his portrait of George Floyd, I was like "uh, wait a minute here...." TLDR: I agree with BiggerBoat

As an aside, and I hope I'm not breaking the rules of the thread too much by posting non-comic art, but some of Amano's better work reminds me of an artist I really love, Akiya Kageichi. Also an acquired taste though, I know. Very busy stuff but I digs it

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Flesh Forge posted:

nextwave was so good :kimchi:

Oh man, I'm old as dirt so I remember reading Boom Boom's first appearance in Secret Wars II with Beyonder. Although it doesn't make sense that the Beyonder, being omniscient, was tricked by her a couple of times, even with her sticking a time bomb in his pants :haw:

Thinking about it now, I recall this series of panels and how she looked like an old crone or something in the last panel

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Flesh Forge posted:

I love the little shrinky pop lines that get across the Beyonder disappeared her boobs :kimchi:

....Er, I think that's her trying to create a time bomb (her powers which he just vanquished) and failing. Although that would have been a more interesting choice on the Beyonder's part

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
I'm always drawn more to stylization over realism in comic art, so I love guys like Sam Kieth, Sienkiewicz, etc. I was just re-reading Meltdown, the miniseries with Wolverine and Havok which came out when I was a kid, and I always liked the depiction of Logan as a kind of dirty, boozy, violent dude with huge Popeye forearms. Could be considered bad art by others though, I like it

Zoben fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 22, 2021

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Lobok posted:

The main thing I don't like about that is the sunglasses. Without those I think it would be a lot better.

That's fair, I wasn't entirely jazzed on that part either, but this came out in 1988. Wraparounds were unreservedly bitchin' back then.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I'm not sure what to make of the edgy new Ennis Batman joint yet, but Liam Sharp is fun on art:

I always loved Liam Sharpe. Sure, he's a Bisley clone/acolyte, but Biz doesn't do old-school Biz anymore, so it's good to see something like that. Also reminds me a bit of Sienkiewicz and yeah, McKean too, so I dig it. I guess I just have more of a distaste for the house Marvel/DC style now, where it all looks like a tracing of actors and Poser art.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Alhazred posted:

If anything it's toned way down:

Holy poo poo, I was about to post this EXACT SAME page. Daredevil: Love and War was so awesome. Sienkiewicz is probably my all-time favorite comic artist. His portraits on his social media are great to see as well.

Sam Kieth also rules. I like weird and I'll take it over any Marvel/DC house style any day. He really had a totally unique style, at least at the time.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

^^^alcohol^^^

Here's a page by page breakdown of a Sienkiewicz New Mutants book

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6n03LrflT8

I never get tired of looking at this guy's stuff and how creative he is. He breaks a lot of rules but is the textbook example of having to know the rules first. Nothing he does would work without him actually knowing how to draw and the results are just fantastic.

Even when he fails, the stuff is still just so loving fun to look at.

Edit:

Guys like Kirby, Romita, Sr. and even Frank Miller's early stuff are other perfect examples of this too. I'm forgetting a few artists here as well but the difference is as vast as the gap between what some of these guys do and what, say, Liefeld does where "breaking anatomy" doesn't work if you can't draw in the classic traditional sense already. John Buscema, Alex Ross and Neal Adams are fantastic but having everything look like that gets boring. On the opposite end, you get your Liefelds and McFarlanes where everything is just all "action" because you can feel the fact that Rob and Todd REALLY LOVE drawing this poo poo, except it's still not good. Or Jim Lee, who I like, but whose work isn't improved with more lines. Miller's stuff in particular is better with fewer lines. All the skinny pens in the world don't make a bad drawing good.

People rag on Ramos but you can tell he knows how to draw similar to John Buscema if he wanted to do that. He just layered an exaggerated graffiti style on top of it, for better of worse.

It's strange how often comic art critics (like myself) ignore a lot of the lessons of art history, how often rules were broken centuries ago and how reluctant we are to accept new ideas. And I think a measure of it is unique to American audiences too - taste wise anyway - to where everything has to look real and to american Comic Book connoisseurs in particular.

Traditional anatomy, perspective and even lighting and contrast are not everything but you HAVE to know them, like learning chords in music or physics in architecture. The idea being that I can start with a hosed up drawing of Wolverine but I can ink my way out of it or color my way out of it or cross hatch my way out of it just means you can't draw but comics allow it. Everyone look at Bernie Wrightson for How to Add a Million Lines.

It's a rather "I'll fix it in post" sort of thing but the layout has to work FIRST.

It's a LOT like the practical effects vs CGI argument in film and like adding starbursts, drop shadows, Photoshop filters and gradients onto basic magazine, business card, or postcard layouts or on top of a "logo", where noise is only added because one can. Or how musicians will "fix" bad songwriting or recording with Pro Tools.

Sorry....I'm an "illustrator/graphic designer" barely making a living as a production artist who fixes graphic designers' art in ways that make it print and who moonlights on evenings and weekends re-doing other illustrators' and cartoonists' stuff to make it look better so I have strong opinions on this stuff.

Just felt like writing and apparently have things on my mind so here, thread. Have some chum.

I don't have quite as much to say but I'll agree with all of your points in general. I've said a bunch in this thread how Sienkiewicz is such a goddamn master that it almost pisses me off how he can illustrate a graphic novel or comic or series of portraits with seemingly 20 different styles, but he still makes everything beautiful and cohesive. His psychedelic experimental stuff looks as awesome as one of the luminescent portraits he does on social media. And it can't be stated enough how you need to know the fundamentals before pulling off that kind of stylization. Walk before you run, and all those other cliches.

I used to be a game art/modeling/illustration instructor at a local 2-year college and as such, a lot of my students were into manga/anime, which I hated. I'm not going to go into any anti-manga rant, it has plenty of merit and is an enormous art form in its own right, it's just not for me. I mainly disliked how they'd try to turn drawing or digital sculpting exercises into some cutesy anime caricature (as in, don't put a kawaii face on a figure drawing of an in-class model). I just tried to impart to them that all of the manga artists that they were inspired by learned fundamentals and could do representational art before they got into stylization, otherwise it looks like the dreadful DeviantArt poo poo being done by 10-year-olds or something.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Obviously most artists' styles change a hell of a lot over, like 20-30 years, but modern Silvestri looks so different from back then. I don't know the story behind these covers, they look like they're pencils before inks, but his shading style now reminds me more of Bernie Wrightson's Frankenstein penwork.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Suleman posted:

I considered posting this in the Funny Panels thread instead.
The art is obviously bad on many levels, but the :effort: composition and lack of background just make everything worse.

I've never seen this, and I think you win the thread for the "bad" part -- it's a loving abomination

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Lobok posted:

Not sure if the years are always correct (Venom comes later than '84 was the one I noticed) but those are really cool. I feel like you can just tell that's Harry Goblin.

I'd guess that they're using the characters most prominent/introduced during the range of time, like 1984-1995. I started reading Spider-Man right around #300 with McFarlane so I definitely recall that storyline (I still have that issue and it'd be worth some money if I hadn't read it so much that the cover eventually fell off)

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Edge & Christian posted:

No value judgments on anyone's reading habits here, but both of the recent shittily-colored Spider-Man Unlimited pages aren't being helped by what seems like a bad scan of a print copy. Here's a side-by-side of the pages posted here vs. the ones on Marvel Unlimited/Comixology

Not to say either page is not without multiple issues, but either the initial print job or someone cranking the contrast way up on their scan are doing it zero favors.

This reminds me a lot of the coloring on Team Youngblood (yes, I bought all of the Image Comics back when I was 12 or so). I have those back issues somewhere and I remember that the print copies had SUPER dark colors. Quite often the pen line work would get almost totally obscured (which could be a good thing in the case of lots of that artwork). I have to imagine that the first image here is a crazily dark scan, but even all these years later I do remember how dark the printed copies were. These were all on glossy paper so I'm sure they had problems adjusting, but it seems like they wouldn't even print a proof to check it out first. Actually, is that common practice in comics or is it just off to the press and boom?

For the second pic here I just took the image into Photoshop and raised the mids considerably, so you can see how the colorist would basically use the cross-hatching ink gradient into shadow as a a guide to seemingly transition to the darkest color values. One of many reasons why the art team has to complement each other's work, not overpower the other elements.

Zoben fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

Well, obviously. I just meant that back then that reference was far less available than it is now and I think what they pulled off with limited resources was remarkable, even though MAD artists don't really get brought up all that much when we talk about great comic book art. I'm an illustrator myself and doubt I could do as good a job even with Google images at my disposal.

I'm a :corsair: and when I was an illustration major, one of the main things they taught us was to build a photo reference library. Obviously, this was before computers took over. I still have boxes and boxes of poo poo I tore from magazines that i occasionally use for collage. Stuff as rudimentary as hair dryers, flowers and all sorts of dumb poo poo. I used to gather up magazines that people would toss in the trash to help build my reference material.

The change is part of why you can use reverse image searches to bust artists "stealing" material. They've always done it but back then it was harder to tell that that drawing of Richard Dreyfuss was from a People Magazine article or whatever.

I'm with you there, I'm also a :corsair: and I have all sorts of poo poo from gathering reference back in the day. My teachers called it a "morgue." Lots of magazines, and since I was into drawing comic books there were plenty of Guns & Ammo and muscle dude magazines so I could try to get the anatomy somewhat right. Of course, I still used comic artists as my main inspiration though so I had ridiculous proportions and relentless cross-hatching in my art until I went to school and did actual live figure drawing.

Since I went to college in 1998, the internet was there but still left a lot to be desired in terms of images and reference. It took me a while to break out of the practice of going to the library and looking through encyclopedias and stuff like that before I realized that "hey, I can just look this poo poo up on Altavista or something."

I had all sorts of old Mad magazines too, and I know what you mean! The illustrators were pretty badass. You had the silly stuff with Don Martin, Dave Berg with "Lighter Side of" (I can still remember the dude's name, Roger Kaputnik, but I can barely remember what happened last week), Sergio Aragones was the poo poo, and of course Mort Drucker. I had those when I was like 10 years old or so, and I remember re-reading them as I got older and all of a sudden I understood more and more of the references they used.