Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Quantify! posted:

Invincible is the best superhero book on the market because it never becomes derivative.

D00gz pretty much covered it but this is the stupidest post in BSS in the last 5 years and that's a loving doozy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hate Bendis for that OMG bit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Hippo posted:

Teen girls actually use that term irl.

Retarded ones maybe, not girls as intelligent as Hawkeye is portrayed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fritz posted:

Why are you so fired up over a little harmless teenage slang? This is 2011, the internet is becoming pervasive, you should expect a little code switching as people spend more of their lives online.

It just shows how Bendis is falling out of touch. Sure his slang was pretty good back when USM started but now he's going down the same road every other old man writer has walked.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

This one's actually Mike Choi. You can tell because it's way better than Clayton Crain.

Mike Choi is amazing, I wish he could swing a monthly schedule.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mind the walrus posted:

X-23 really is one of those concepts that is such a transparent attempt at marketing it's almost insulting, but is actually quite enjoyable as a character when you realize the writers don't write her as "Logan with tits."

Like most distaff counterparts actually...

The entire reason X-23 exists is so Wolverine fans could finally jerk off to him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wendell posted:

But...why?

It's his daughter and he's dead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I also didn't realize she was supposed to be a kid at first, since I haven't been following that storyline, but she did look "off."

Where did you read that she was supposed to be a kid?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The two posts above mine, plus the "Children's Crusade" title made me think it was a story about superheroes transforming into little kid versions of themselves.

It wasn't?

No, it is not. The Children's Crusade title has to do with the Young Avengers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

It looks like he used the same layout for that and the Scarlet Witch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Don't feel bad for Ian Churchill, he wanted the two Supergirls to make out.

Anyways, I was finalizing some order numbers for February and I saw this

In my dreams Mike Allred would draw ever Legion and Trek comic until the end of time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

I finished reading Wizard of Oz last night with Skottie Young and I find the art to be mindblowingly good. After I read a page I would go back to the top of the page and just look at the pictures.
The style was cartoonish and charming, and created a great atmosphere in the comic.
Each character design seems perfect (for me the lion was the best) and is something out a cartoon that would appeal to kids and adults alike.

Scottie Young is way too talented. I wish he was interested in working on comics I'm actually interested in though.

OldMemes posted:

and I'm still somewhat annoyed by my incomplete set of Blackest Night promotional rings :doom:

Which rings do you need?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OldMemes posted:

I have Green, White, Black ans Sinestro (and the Flash ring), so I'm missing the rest.

I have orange, pink and indigo handy, yours for cost of shipping. PM me dude.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OldMemes posted:

I don't have PMs right now - I'll buy myself the upgrade tommorow, and get back to you then, ok?

Email me at ryancharleswhite@yahoo.com, that way you don't have to spend money.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cyberpunksurvivor posted:

Jock has to be one of the best if not the best Batman artist in recent years.

Jock carried the somewhat weak last year of the Losers squarely on his incredibly talented shoulders.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

I almost forgot about this cover by Liefeld, which kind of reaches Dada-esque proportions of craziness. Take note of the floating head and limbs, the strained neck, the teeth, the stretchy crotch and bendy shield.

To be fair to Rob, the floating limbs are supposed to be like that. It was a part of the story.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

d00gZ posted:

Thanks, Let's Be Friends Again.

This is truly an amazing thing right here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Amusingly enough, Extreme Justice was drawn by Marc Campos who at the time was inked by Ivan Reis. The same Ivan Reis who has found great success and popularity on Green Lantern an Blackest Night. I guess he paid close attention back on EJ and learned exactly what not to do.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
These were the mid 90's Wonder Twins.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jamie hasn't been any good since John Rogers left the book. The current BB title should have been the first book canceled.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It is seriously "let's redo the last Blue Beetle series, but surgically remove every bit of charm and individuality."

It's like a bad cover song. The notes are there, they have the right instruments but the singer keeps adding his own stupid poo poo to the lyrics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

EvilMuppet posted:

Wait, they killed Ted? Did he come back? :(

In the new 52 continuity, Ted Kord never existed.

Edit: the way I typed that reminded me of the end of Quantum Leap and now I'm double sad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

omg car crash posted:

Just saw this on Tumblr. :aaaaa:

"...and make sure you make her boobs big enough!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SexyBlindfold posted:

at risk of being held in contempt of thread title:

Three time? They're pushing it too far!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Ghoul posted:

It might just be me, but the work of Menton3 pisses me off.
I can't find any images from his comics, but this stuff from his DeviantArt page is about the same:

In general he seems like one of the generic "dark" (Burton inspired) artists on DA that obscures half an image with complete darkness to avoid drawing, and then throws as many photoshop textures as he can to make it look detailed.
It's okay for pinups, but it doesn't lend itself to storytelling at all (there's two pages of text in the first issue of Monocyte to explain what the hell is going on).
What annoys me more is his lettering, which, again, tries to be dark and spooky but is just illegible (IDW owes me for his portion of the Dunwich Horror).

It could just be a stylistic problem, but I hate this darkness soup crap.

I totally agree with you. That stuff hurts my brain when I look at it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was doing my final order check for this month when I saw a tiny image of this cover for Witchblade #149 in the Image section. A little searching and I found a huge version

I really hate everything about this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's been a lost cause since he left Flash. Check out his Solomon Grundy mini that he wrote in addition to drawing. It's horrible in every way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ElNarez posted:

I know this goes against everything the title of this thread stands for, but holy poo poo you guys.

This is from the upcoming Grifter #9, it's drawn by Rob Liefeld, and it looks pretty loving good. I don't know what's happening anymore.

That's Scott Clark.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FMguru posted:

The early 1990s were terrible for having companies insist that their artists draw in the Liefeld/McFarlane "extreme" style, even if it was completely unsuited for them.

There were some amazingly terrible comics launched by the Big 2 to try and ride the pouches/gritted teeth/wild hair/signature scroll/giant cape trend. The books that came out of Zero Hour are the ones that made the biggest impression on me.

Aside from Starman everything that spun out of Zero Hour was pretty horrible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Shaq-fu was amazing almost as amazing as Kazzam.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Heresiarch posted:

Wait, what?

People are bitching about the recoloring even though the original creators signed off on it and are heavily praising it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Don't make me invoke George Lucas.

G-Mo and Quietly are a far cry from Lucas.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I was just making a point that authorial approval of changes doesn't mean they're necessary changes or good ones. It's an empty appeal to authority.

But in this case the creators have no track record of creating horrible poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Baron Bifford posted:

The first thing I'm going to do when I complete my art degree is recolor Watchmen.

Didn't they already do that for the Absolute?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
ChrisCross is a really fantastic artist when he isn't phoning it in. His Captain Marvel run is gorgeous.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's Scott Eaton so it's definitely bad art.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

Oh neat, this Night of Owls crossover is gonna have highly trained assassins fight the inmates of Arkham. This'll be pretty coo-WHOA!

poo poo, Aaron Cash, what'd Tony Daniel do to your face? From Detective Comics #9.

Are those buck teeth?

Please tell me Tony Daniel did not draw a black man with buck teeth in 2012.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HAmbONE posted:

My photobucket account, which I had forgotten about until, yields more bad art. Sorry for the lack of issue, series, etc. but I'm not sure where I got these.

Something to do with Spider-man and a face melt ray?
face you make.

Blue comic ink 50% off

Those two are from the horrible and best forgotten Green Goblin series that launched out of the Clone Saga. It lasted 13 issues.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Now he is Hobgoblin

It looks like those were drawn by Terry Kavanagh

Josh Hood if memory serves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Ya it is one of these guys , Scott McDaniel , Kevin Kobasic , Darick Robertson , Josh Hood, Steven Butler, Steve Buscema

The one I posted was one of the writers.

Butler drew him in a Spider-man issue, McDaniel drew the first few issues of the series. Robertson drew him in New Warriors I think.