Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Darthemed posted:

Penciler: Aaron Lopresti / Inker: Sam DeLaRosa
Spider-Man Unlimited #3 (1993)

Spider-Man, Spider-Man /
Don’t know where his torso began

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Looking up Optimus Prime while chatting with someone and came across this monstrosity.

:barf:

He looks like when Tom Selleck shaved his mustache, just weird.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

theironjef posted:

It was later healed by someone or something called Hyperstorm.

Wasn’t Hyperstorm Franklin Richards from the future, or aged up by cosmic rays or something like that?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Darthemed posted:

Venom: The Madness #3 (1994)
Pencils: Kelley Jones
Inks: John Beatty; Al Milgrom; Kent Williams

The way Kelley Jones draws the muscles under the arms as just subcutaneous piles of gravel always made me kind of queasy.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Darthemed posted:

Darling Love #2 (1949)
Artist(s) unknown.

This looks a lot like Ditko to me.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Solenna posted:

in my dreams the next Avengers movie is same old PG 13 business as usual and then out of nowhere this is the Hulk transformation sequence, just loving insane body horror. That is amazingly well done.

I love the weird Cronenberg wrinkle they added to the Hulk, but it makes the purple pants even more inexplicable than ever.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

sliami posted:

SICKO in Local Dying Comedy Forum DEMANDS Marvel Publish Hulk's FAT MEAT

:sickos:

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Just came across this and had to share.

You gotta stand still while using panorama mode.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Guest Starring Black Canary
and Her Broken Zipper

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Zil posted:

Thats what you notice and not her 360noscope spine issue?

It had already been addressed.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Android Blues posted:

Like, this is literally the calibre of stuff, straight from the Wikipedia article:

Laughing my rear end off at the idea that one of the indicators of the darkest timeline is Frank Castle being shot to death. Oh no, a world without the Punisher. Truly it is a world without light or hope.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So the Jean Grey scene is even dumber and weirder than described... Here's the list of events:

- Sheldon is in Washington DC, which is no longer the capital, because President X moved the white house to NYC. For... Reasons.
- Everywhere around him are deformed homeless people and people in chains (???)
- Nick Fury shows up and threatens him, and (I think) Northstar and his sister are randomly there on the street, nearly naked for some reason, with their flesh fused at the elbow
- Nick Fury beats up Sheldon even though both of them agree on the same exact thing (everything went wrong and we were on the verge of an age of heroes, etc.)
- Nick Fury pulls out a gun and shoots, but it's a fakeout because he actually was shooting a rabid dog that was about to bite Sheldon
- Nick Fury literally sits on the bloody corpse of the dog for absolutely no reason
- Jean Grey suddenly appears and propositions them for $20 - again, keep in mind that like 30 seconds ago this guy shot a dog and is still currently sitting on its corpse while brandishing a gun
- Nick Fury shoots her because I don't know
- Nick Fury shoots himself because I don't know

Truly Warren Ellis is one of the greats

I think the implication is that Xavier moved the White House to the X-Mansion so he could experiment on mutants and conduct affairs of state at the same time? Still not sure why Kingpin is the warden of mutant jail. Or why Professor X apparently brandishes his junk to the mutants on a regular basis. Because Ellis, I assume.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

catlord posted:

Ruins was one of those ones that I heard about and it sounded like it could be interesting, but then reading the synopsis makes it sound like a complete waste of time? I do like that Hulk body horror though (and yes, I need to read Immortal Hulk, I know).

I'm not sure I've read a Warren Ellis comic, there's a bunch I wanted to, like Planetary, but I never got around to it and then everything about him came out so, you know.

Edit: I will say, from what I've seen, visually I like Ruins a lot, I like a painterly style that's also not trying to be hyper-realistic. I understand why Alex Ross has a lot of fans, but I have to admit I'm not hugely fond of his art, or at least not for interior art. His covers are great, absolutely.

I was a big fan of his StormWatch run, dovetailing into the first year of The Authority. Transmetropolitan had me until it became more plot-driven. Not sure how that stuff holds up today but I still think Planetary is great. The end doesn't feel as abrupt as it did when there was like 2-3 years between it and the rest of the series.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Ragle Gumm posted:

What's the deal with his mane? '90s look, or part of the post-trauma regeneration?

Logan's hair was getting progressively more and more extreme until Hugh Jackman made it okay for artists to tone it down. In the 90s it was often hard to imagine him being able to walk through a doorway.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

X-O posted:

Numerous covers of Marvel Comics Presents by Sam Keith with Logan looking like a reindeer just went flashing through my head.

Sam Keith would have made him look like that anyway, to be fair. Even if you commissioned him to draw a picture of Hugh Jackman the actual human being, he would give him those insane hair wings.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

ruddiger posted:

Looks like standard Marshal Law-era Kevin O’Neill to me.

He's really good at drawing superheroes as grotesque abominations, which works great for Marshall Law. Here, it's just unsettling.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

roffels posted:

Amazing Spider-Man 400.

I don't think that's how backs work.

It looks like Bagely started by drawing Peter’s torso, then realized halfway through that Pete would have to be lying on top of May for that positioning to work.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Liefeld has that very distinct “modular anatomy” style. Like he draws the head first, then the torso/arms behind it, then the legs behind those. Great care is taken to avoid showing how those elements connect to each other.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

did someone take hanna-barbera's birdman and make him into something really interesting?

Yes, and then after the lawyer show DC did a comic book about him.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I know it's just dogpiling at this point, but the detail I can't get over is how Fighting American's upper half seems to have rotated as an independent entity from the rest of his body. His belt buckle and belt loops are centered to his torso but also completely out of alignment with his pelvis.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

His name is The Punisher, not The Stop Crimer. He punishes people who committed crimes, he doesn't stop them from happening.

Frank Castle calmly smoking a cigarette as a guy stabs another guy to death a few feet away from him, waiting patiently for the victim to stop breathing.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I always liked Bagely but I don’t think he’s ever mastered the shape of Spidey’s head. You either got those Clone Saga covers where the bridge of his nose is like Pac-Man’s mouth or Ultimate Spidey where his head is just an egg.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Next panel: Barney throws a firecracker, triggering Fred’s PTSD long enough to steal his Fruity Pebbles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I dunno. I read it and it's forgettable but it's miles better than DK2

DK2 established that Batman is loving terrified of Plastic Man and for that I’ll always cherish it.