Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Yeah mapo tofu is supposed to be red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

emotive posted:

Kenji From SE is insane because his recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of peppercorns plus 1/4 cup of chili oil.

Nah that sounds about right for a standard Chengdu mapo tofu. Light, if anything.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I completely forgot to upload my pics of my attempt at using all the spices my friend got me from Sichuan. Thanks again for your help on identifying them.
I invited some friends over and made 6 dishes for the expat lady's Sichuan cooking blog that was posted in here.

- Spicy Cucumber Salad (no seperate picture of this)

- Mapo Tofu

- Sichuan-style Cauliflower

- Sichuan-style Potatoes

- Lotus Root

- Spicy Beef (medium hot)

and a more spicy version of it

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That all looks good. My only suggestion would be on the cauliflower, looks pale to me. If you can get it more charred it's better. Thin line between char and burned so it takes some practice but ideally you want it brown all over and just blackening in spots.

That blog's recipes are good but I think she under spices things, it never comes out like what I'm used to in Sichuan. For all her recipes I would at least double all the spices/aromatics.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 14, 2016

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the advice on the Cauliflower, I was working with a pan on an ceramic stovetop (I can't get a wok to work properly on my stove so I use a pan for more surface area.) and it didn't work too well. By the time I get it proper browned outside it would be mush on the inside.

As for the spices... in Germany we don't really eat all that spicy and while some of my friends and eat more spicy simply due to our interest in exotic foods, I had to make a less spicy beef version for the other half of people. So for my purposes this stuff is plenty spicy. I'd wager my mother and plenty of her generation would not be able to eat it as is.

Bit of a derail regrading spicy food in Germany: I am ashamed to say that in Germany the idea of "spicy" culminates in currywurst places that have 5 or more degrees of "hotness" in their sauces with the most spiciest being able to send you to hospital and "cool" people proving their manliness by eating this poo poo.
The really sad part is that the spiciness usually comes form adding hotsauce or capsaicin extracts into the sauce to make it more "devilish" instead of reaching the spiciness through actually cooking chili peppers, which yields the spicy yet flavourful dishes you are sued to. Instead all these currywurst sauces have is that soulless vinegary taste of too much tabasco sauce.
(Of course we also have Asian/Indian etc. restaurants that do proper spicy food, but in terms of original German dishes...not really.)

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Northern European food sucks, I'm sorry your friends can't handle the heat

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I am looking for a good recipe for Pad Se-Ew. Don't know if this is the correct thread or if I should go to the Indian/Curry thread.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Flaggy posted:

I am looking for a good recipe for Pad Se-Ew. Don't know if this is the correct thread or if I should go to the Indian/Curry thread.

Neither? Ask in the General Questions thread.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Rurutia posted:

Neither? Ask in the General Questions thread.

Fair enough. Thanks.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Flaggy posted:

That's Thai, and not curry.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

That's Thai, and not curry.
eh whatever it's all a bunch of foreigners, they're all the same right?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

TychoCelchuuu posted:

eh whatever it's all a bunch of foreigners, they're all the same right?

All part of the Greater Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere, comrade.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Anyone know a good site for Malaysian Chinese recipes? Especially if it has a lot of the street food.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Anyone know a good site for Malaysian Chinese recipes? Especially if it has a lot of the street food.

That's fujian food :downsrim:

Try the singaporean food websites maybe?

Hopper posted:

I completely forgot to upload my pics of my attempt at using all the spices my friend got me from Sichuan. Thanks again for your help on identifying them.
I invited some friends over and made 6 dishes for the expat lady's Sichuan cooking blog that was posted in here.

- Spicy Cucumber Salad (no seperate picture of this)

- Mapo Tofu

- Sichuan-style Cauliflower

- Sichuan-style Potatoes

- Lotus Root

- Spicy Beef (medium hot)

and a more spicy version of it

Cool pictures but the dining table is making me really confused :ohdear: Some dishes you have a paper towel underneath and some don't. And why not sit in a half moon setting instead of having the dishes all over the corners where things are easy to spill? And then there's chopsticks with forks and knives :negative:

So are you supposed to sandwich a paper towel between the bowel to keep the main plate clean? I guess I'm just used to having dining mats/cloth. Or just cut a piece of garbage bag and cover the whole table.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Well the main problem is your OCD ... j/k
I know it is far from perfect but this was just a casual thing and my usual table cloth was in the washing. The dishes have cork mats underneath but the mapo tofu pan had a bright red plastic one which I covered up cause it stuck out like a sore thumb.

And in Germany we don't use chopsticks. Honestly I can sort of handle them but we all are better of using knives and forks instead. Otherwise it would be a messy ordeal. So if I want people to enjoy their food, I make sure it is easy to eat. Hence no chopsticks. I had some but no one wanted any.

At the end for the day, the food was well liked by all, which is what counts in my book.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

caberham posted:

That's fujian food :downsrim:

Try the singaporean food websites maybe?

Cool pictures but the dining table is making me really confused :ohdear: Some dishes you have a paper towel underneath and some don't. And why not sit in a half moon setting instead of having the dishes all over the corners where things are easy to spill? And then there's chopsticks with forks and knives :negative:

So are you supposed to sandwich a paper towel between the bowel to keep the main plate clean? I guess I'm just used to having dining mats/cloth. Or just cut a piece of garbage bag and cover the whole table.

Those are paper napkins not paper towels, bitch.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey jerk what are you doing for Christmas let's make mapo turkey. This thread is making me crave for some Sichuan food

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
how did you make that beef?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I would fight a raccoon for lotus root.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone have anything they love to do with dried mustard greens? I got some and realize that I'm lacking in recipes to use them in.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
In Dim Sum restaurants what is the proper name for the sweetened soy sauce that gets poured over steamed rice rolls with the bbq pork or shrimp fillings?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Sweet sauce 甜醬 Cantonese "tim zoeng".

Actually scratch that. It's just sweet soy sauce or the rice roll soy sauce.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Has anyone ever ordered from this place?

http://www.posharpstore.com/en/

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

how did you make that beef?

I followed this recipe: http://www.chinasichuanfood.com/shredded-beef-szechuan-style/

I went to the butcher's and bought slices of beef ~0.5 cm thick unduly used to make beef olives (might be a UK term) which I then sliced into strips, that saves a lot of work in terms of meat slicing.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 17, 2016

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Hopper posted:

I followed this recipe: http://www.chinasichuanfood.com/shredded-beef-szechuan-style/

I went to the butcher's and bought slices of beef ~0.5 cm thick unduly used to make beef olives (might be a UK term) which I then sliced into strips, that saves a lot of work in terms of meat slicing.

Rouladen is what I'd call beef olives.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The last few times I've attempted to make anything Chinese have ended in failure. At the very best I make a bland-tasting mush. I'm going to dial back a bit and make a simple dish of chicken and vegatables fried up in some sort of sauce (prolly sweet and sour) served over friend rice or some noodles. Any pointers or any recipes are welcome.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

emotive posted:

Has anyone ever ordered from this place?

http://www.posharpstore.com/en/

Yeah, consistently much more expensive than a local chinese grocery store if you have one, but it's good if you need to rely on delivery.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

DoubleCakes posted:

The last few times I've attempted to make anything Chinese have ended in failure. At the very best I make a bland-tasting mush. I'm going to dial back a bit and make a simple dish of chicken and vegatables fried up in some sort of sauce (prolly sweet and sour) served over friend rice or some noodles. Any pointers or any recipes are welcome.

Here's an easy pork and eggplant stirfry: http://imgur.com/a/p3VE7
Beef noodle soup: http://imgur.com/a/9pWAb
Or hot and sour soup if you want to get a little fancier: http://imgur.com/a/lFbl8

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

DoubleCakes posted:

Every single dish I made in that Sichuan spice test was super easy. The most challenging part was cutting all the ingredients, that took me a while. The rest was basically: Heat pan, add spices, wait, add meat//lotua root/cauliflower, stir, wait, serve.

They all came out fine and I had no idea what I was going for as they were all unknown to me. Try one of them maybe.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Some basic tips for Chinese:

Almost everything is either a braised dish or cooked at the highest heat you can manage. You're not going to get jet engine wok power on a home stove, but you can simulate it okay with a cast iron pan that you've let get ripping hot as gently caress before you start.

For a stir fried dish it's a lot easier to cook in batches. Do the meat first and take it out, then long-cooking vegetables, then fast cooking, then put it all together with the sauce. This is not really how they do it at restaurants but again, you don't have that kind of setup in your house so it's a reasonable substitution.

There's a big variety of Chinese cuisines and they call for different things, but your basic flavor profiles that are pretty universal are the ginger/garlic/green onion aromatic combo, and soy sauce. Vinegar and some sort of huangjiu cooking wine (Shaoxing is the classic) are also going to be involved a lot of the time.

My very general advice is that Hunan, Sichuan, and Dongbei are probably the easiest places to start. Cantonese/Fujianese is more familiar to us in western countries since that's what our Chinese food is mostly based on, but those can be touchy. It's kind of like Japanese food, you need good ingredients and to be delicate with them. I would save those for later. Hunan is a very punch you in the face kind of Chinese and is super good so I'd probably start with that (assuming you like chili peppers).

Some things that IMO are easy and super good:

http://www.chinasichuanfood.com/twice-cooked-pork-recipe/
http://www.chinasichuanfood.com/szechuan-green-beans/
http://www.chinasichuanfood.com/szechuan-fresh-pepper-chicken/
http://appetiteforchina.com/recipes/red-braised-pork-hongshao-rou

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

emotive posted:

Since you're all dying to know, I made Mapo Tofu.

Decided to just go buy real broad bean paste instead of messing with what I had.

Used Gravity's guide as a base but subbed mushrooms instead of pork (vegetarian)... I've never had it in a restaurant (or anywhere) before so I can't compare to anything but drat, it was good.

I've also done this a couple times. I used minced shiitake and thought it was pretty good, and would recommend trying it if you're ever cooking for vegetarians.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I got a cast iron wok for xmas. Woks as far as I know should be as thin as possible and quite light to allow quick and even heating up the sides. This wok is like 1/4" thick iron. Please advise.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

The super thin wok is really only best when you have a monster of a burner to pair it with. So cast iron can actually be better for stir frying on lovely home ranges. Only thing is you're probably not gonna be doing a lot of flipping and tossing with it by the handle, unless you have some seriously Popeye forearms.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Thoht posted:

The super thin wok is really only best when you have a monster of a burner to pair it with. So cast iron can actually be better for stir frying on lovely home ranges. Only thing is you're probably not gonna be doing a lot of flipping and tossing with it by the handle, unless you have some seriously Popeye forearms.

It'll also take longer to change temperature, but other than that it's at least as good as any other cast iron pan.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Having never used Sichuan peppers before, I bought a bag from the local market but I'm dumb and have no idea how to use this properly? There are quite a lot of black kernels which have a texture like you're chomping on sand. The brand, as far as I can tell, is "Healthy Tang" so either there's a technique I don't know about to separate the soft outer shell from the gritty kernel or I need to find a better brand!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The "pepper" is actually a tiny citrus, and the black things are the pit in the middle of the fruit. Sift through and discard them. Ditch any twigs too. You'll always get at least some in a bag, there's no good way to get rid of them all except going through it by hand and they obviously aren't going to do that.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
While you can toss them in stir-fry dishes, I personally don't like to if I can help it as biting on one will blow up any other flavor I was hoping to taste for the next 10 minutes.

For your first uses I would heat them up in oil and filter/sift them out and just use the oil with the flavor. You can also add them to soups/hot pot, or add some to dipping sauces.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I received a new gigantic wok for Christmas and just tried to season it. I've seasoned woks before but I don't remember them looking this..Spotty I guess? Should I go another round? I charred some onions as the post season treatment and it felt fine.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Don't season it with gutter oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Stringent posted:

Don't season it with gutter oil.

I dunno man, it was good enough for Taiwan....