Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I believe the Juancheng Pixian Doubanjiang in the pouch is the preferred brand.

Edit: I I know this is a weird time for restaurants right now but have any of the Cincinnati area people gotten to try Great Tang in West Chester yet? IMO they belong right up there with Sichuan Chili and Sichuan Bistro. They're take-out only right now I believe, I've been missing it like crazy.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Human Tornada posted:

I believe the Juancheng Pixian Doubanjiang in the pouch is the preferred brand.
Yeah, JC is what I usually get, although I often use the stuff with chili oil in the derpy fat jar with the weird bail handle.

Speaking of which...what's up with the weird bail handle on the jars?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I had everything the dude in that mapo dofu video used except garlic stems and sichuanese rapeseed oil (get it back in stock already MALAMARKET!!!) so I made some following him, doing scallions at the end instead of garlic stems, was pretty tasty!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
made the dudes meat pancakes tonight

made some scallion/leek/ginger/garlic oil to mix in with the meat and then steeped the dregs and used that with shaanxi vinegar and laoganma for a dipping sauce

did it in a frying pan with spells under the broiler since i dont have a george foreman rou bing maker thing

A+ hao chi xie xie lao fan guo

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
made a bunch of lo mai gai with extra lap cheong. forgot we were out of twine but they worked fine anyways. pressure cooked them for 30 minutes instead of steaming for 90

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

SubG posted:

Yeah, JC is what I usually get, although I often use the stuff with chili oil in the derpy fat jar with the weird bail handle.

Speaking of which...what's up with the weird bail handle on the jars?

Have you not seen the catering sized jars? It's for picking up and I guess they just didn't want to change the design.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

Have you not seen the catering sized jars? It's for picking up and I guess they just didn't want to change the design.
I don't mean the giant 5-15 kg size like this:

I mean the jars like this...this one's 1.2 kg, but the design is the same for the 0.5-1.5 kg jars:

And I mean yeah you can pick 'em up using the little plastic handle...but why?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

SubG posted:

I don't mean the giant 5-15 kg size like this:

I mean the jars like this...this one's 1.2 kg, but the design is the same for the 0.5-1.5 kg jars:

And I mean yeah you can pick 'em up using the little plastic handle...but why?

Because its fun to swing the little tub around by the dinky little handle!

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Anyone have a recommendation for a good online store that sells Chinese ingredients? I've wanted to make the woks of life's instant pot soy sauce chicken for a while but I've never been able to find the rose wine. I'm also out of other stuff like dark soy, oyster sauce, and a few other things.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

pogothemonkey0 posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a good online store that sells Chinese ingredients? I've wanted to make the woks of life's instant pot soy sauce chicken for a while but I've never been able to find the rose wine. I'm also out of other stuff like dark soy, oyster sauce, and a few other things.
You can get LKK premium oyster sauce and PRB dark soy off amazon. I've only bought that kind of thing off amazon a couple times and have had very mixed luck (it's a complete tossup if poo poo gets packed adequately or arrives in a mess--ask me about the time I ordered flour and someone in the shipping department literally just put a mailing label on a bag of flour), but if you're stuck somewhere without Chinese markets or whatever, it's an option.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I was going to make Dou Jiang only to find my just opened Soy Milk looking like this.

It's been sitting in the fridge for about two weeks sealed and has a use by date of 9/1. Aside from looking unpalatable and potentially spoiled, it still smells like Soy Milk and doesn't taste or smell off. I don't usually keep a lot of Soy Milk around but this is the first time I've seen it do this.

So is this safe?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

it will eventually go rancid

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My wife and I upgraded to a house and rather than get a grill I bought one of those heavy duty jet exhaust outdoor woks. After using it a couple times this was absolutely the correct decision. That said, I don't have a lot of familiarity with different Stir fry dishes. Is there a generally accepted best cookbook to get some recipes to work off of?

Also guys it is so much easier to season carbon steel when you can turn it blue within like 30 seconds of putting it on the burner. I've used it like 4 times and its already "fry an egg" style seasoned.

Edit: like within 30 seconds of starting it for the first tome I realized that one day I am absolutely gonna burn the poo poo outa myself.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 23, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'd recommend Chinese Cooking Demystified and Chef Wang Gang on Youtube to start out so you can see how it's done. Cookbook just depends on what cuisine. The Food of Sichuan is the one I'd start with because it's Sichuan.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

My wife and I upgraded to a house and rather than get a grill I bought one of those heavy duty jet exhaust outdoor woks. After using it a couple times this was absolutely the correct decision. That said, I don't have a lot of familiarity with different Stir fry dishes. Is there a generally accepted best cookbook to get some recipes to work off of?

Also guys it is so much easier to season carbon steel when you can turn it blue within like 30 seconds of putting it on the burner. I've used it like 4 times and its already "fry an egg" style seasoned.

Edit: like within 30 seconds of starting it for the first tome I realized that one day I am absolutely gonna burn the poo poo outa myself.

Got a link to the one you got?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.feradyne.com/22-carbon-steel-wok-kit-w-big-kahuna-burner/

The wok is something I'll probably never use but the burner owns.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Grand Fromage posted:

Chef Wang Gang on Youtube

Will his uncle ever show up in their new commercial kitchen? I can't wait.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i was a big fan of the wang gang videos, but the way him and his uncle launched a humiliation campaign against that girl working for him is hosed up

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Man I am still thinking about that stir fry from yesterday. So good.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Stringent posted:

i was a big fan of the wang gang videos, but the way him and his uncle launched a humiliation campaign against that girl working for him is hosed up

Did they do that? I don’t watch any of their videos much anymore but like a month ago Qierwa posted some apology video which seemed to be based on a lot of comments from xiao hongshu and other Chinese sites criticizing her for not being a good cook and being very casual around older people, and I just assumed it was lovely internet commenters. It’s extra suck if it was started by them.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Magna Kaser posted:

Did they do that? I don’t watch any of their videos much anymore but like a month ago Qierwa posted some apology video which seemed to be based on a lot of comments from xiao hongshu and other Chinese sites criticizing her for not being a good cook and being very casual around older people, and I just assumed it was lovely internet commenters. It’s extra suck if it was started by them.

They were just making a lot of snide comments in their videos and I think the fans just turned it up to eleven.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Yeah poo poo like "oh Qierwa hosed up this dish last time so now I'm doing it right", I don't like it

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
any brand recs for steamer baskets? seems like a lot of complaints of mold or generally lovely build quality on amazon reviews

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't want to hear anything about the whole wang gang and qi erwa situation. can't something be okay for two seconds?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Arglebargle III posted:

can't something be okay for two seconds?

no.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't want to hear anything about the whole wang gang and qi erwa situation. can't something be okay for two seconds?

I think they largely are ok. The ribbing and "humiliation" afforded to qi erwa by Wang gang and family is the normal treatment apprentices get in all sorts of trades, and especially in cooking. I'm not saying the YouTube commenters are ok - there's a reason you don't read the comments. But I can't think of a single person who came up in any organization who wasn't corrected/scolded/reprimanded/ etc. at some point. And I say this as a culturally ignorant American, but my understanding of Chinese master/apprentice culture is that the junior member owes a ton of respect and deference to their senior and that some amount of humiliation is expected.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I think we also miss a lot of the context outside of the videos - for example, the fact that she made something too salty or something could be a running joke within their little group that also comes out in the video, but people only see the video.

That said, I hope they can be a little more cognizant of remarks like that in the future and the impact they can have.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Too salty is definitely a running joke. She made one dish too salty and they’ve been joking about it since. Maybe we could all just stop reading into edited videos for things that we can’t see for a couple minutes.

There was that month of her saying she was failing at making the dishes, so that’s probably where it comes from. I know for a fact if you ended up dumping a few dishes in a professional setting you’re going to be hearing it for a bit while you get better. I’ve only seen that start one fist fight, and then it was fine after, so this seems tame compared to that.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Cool pop science look at the difference between 菜籽油, canola oil, and European rapeseed oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDP9t65PVsY
Love this channel! Very good info about ingredients when you live in the west and want to cook Chinese food. And one of their videos finally explained why so called "Shaoxing wine" is always weirdly salty when I get it here in Stockholm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AujuLHK3hvs

And I urge you all to check the video where they compare a normal Mapo Doufu to a version from The Culinary Institute of America. I generally think that "authenticity" is a fairly silly concept when it comes to food but the CIA recipe had me going "what the gently caress!" about every five seconds. Just watch it.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I love that channel a bunch but they can't write recipes for poo poo sadly. I've gotten good results making their stuff but the written recipes make it twice as hard as it needs to be.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/04/dining/stir-fry-recipe-wok-hei.html

A long-ish but good article on a chef's research into recreating the flavor of restaurant wok cooking at home.

tl;dr He discovered that a few blasts with a butane torch as things are cooking to blacken things a bit - even perhaps briefly dumping the wok contents onto a baking sheet for torching - works pretty well.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
See also this Serious Eats article on the topic from February.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
been shooting chinese food with a kitchen blowtorch for years!

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Anybody have a recommendation on a good chinese style clay pot? I want to do some dongpo pork and want to do it more the traditional route. Also I have an electric coil stove. Anybody have experience using a pot on that? So far I know I need a heat diffuser and to go low and slow but any other advice would be useful.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

any brand recs for steamer baskets? seems like a lot of complaints of mold or generally lovely build quality on amazon reviews

:emptyquote:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Steamer baskets are whatever fits your method. Bamboo baskets will mold if you don’t wash them clean with water and then make sure they dry completely before putting them away. Just a fact of them being a wood product, if they get put into a cupboard wet, they will mold.

If they do mold, just scrub them and then steam them. Funny enough, that will take care of the mold problem unless they get put away wet again.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcv-MD6_4DA

How did these guys get their dough so stretchy? I tried making some noodles today, and they were somewhat tough and didn't stretch nearly as long or as well as this does. Did my dough need to rest longer or something?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcv-MD6_4DA

How did these guys get their dough so stretchy? I tried making some noodles today, and they were somewhat tough and didn't stretch nearly as long or as well as this does. Did my dough need to rest longer or something?

If they were tough you should add more water. When I make these I add a bit more hydration than I do for most other noodles or they'll be too dry to stretch. Kneeding is also pretty important to get the gluten going too. It looks like they cut and store their dough in oil too maybe? I have seen that in recipes for it before too. Resting for 20-30 minutes should be plenty.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Malamarket got roasted rapeseed oil back in stock today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hell yeah it did. I just put in an order for other stuff yesterday and you bet your rear end I dropped another 45 bucks on oil because I'm a dumb rear end in a top hat.

I cooked some Sichuan food today. I used the Indian toasted mustard seed oil for the first time that was recommended as a sub for roasted rapeseed. It's pretty tasty. I was going to post pics but imgur is apparently making GBS threads itself so no pics for you!