Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I made stir fried carbonara, but I'll try stir fried ramen if you got any ideas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
I make it like fried rice, only with instant noodles. Way easier to make in a pinch.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I love cabbage because it's cheap as hell. One of my favorite things to do with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCZdOpJTqoM

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I love cabbage because it's cheap as hell. One of my favorite things to do with it:

That got my kid devouring cabbage every time I make it now. So much so that it's requested regularly.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I have a fried noodle recipe I came up with that's probably deeply inauthentic, but it tastes really good so... Prep your meat n veg as you like, fry separately if you have a weak burner or in the normal order if it's decent. Add your prepped Noodles and stir in, then the sauce/seasoning is laoganma chili crisp, dark soy, kejap manis, black rice vinegar, msg ( I use that liquid msg I can't remember the name of* maggi sauce!).

Proportions are entirely to taste, but in our house it's a very heaped tablespoon of lgm, tablespoon of kejap manis, a splash of dark soy and black rice vinegar, and a sprinkle of msg. This is for a very big bowlful of noodles and whatever.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 21, 2021

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The larger bowl looks like shaoxing, light soy, MYSTERY SAUCE, dark soy, salt, sugar, msg, white pepper. Smaller bowl looks like light soy again, but that doesn't make sense.

Anyone able to fill in the gaps?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's a comment below about adding English subtitles. My Chinese has degenerated enough I can't really follow what's going on. I'd have to pause every time the subtitles change and puzzle them out and I'm too lazy, just going to wait.

That is a pro looking version of that cabbage tho. One of my favorite simple vegetable dishes.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Doom Rooster posted:

The larger bowl looks like shaoxing, light soy, MYSTERY SAUCE, dark soy, salt, sugar, msg, white pepper. Smaller bowl looks like light soy again, but that doesn't make sense.

I haven't got a loving clue - I came to the exact same conclusions as you and that's close enough to how I make the dish that I figured the video is a good example. I too am very curious about the mysteries you point out (and also about how they spend so much time talking about cabbage - maybe it's the benefits of ripping rather than slicing?).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Doom Rooster posted:

Okay it's one scoop shaoxing, four small scoops light soy. Small bowl is two scoops vinegar. Large bowl adds sugar, salt, ?potato starch? i don't recognize the characters but think he said tudoufen?, dark soy. Process is huajiao in the oil then removed (blasphemy imo), chilies, cabbage, large bowl, small bowl at end.

I have no idea what scoop means or the dry ingredient quantities, the text didn't make sense.

I think part of the discussion is about the ripping, yeah. A Chinese ex made a big point about how ripping cabbage makes it taste better than cutting for ?reasons?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

The sauce was (with their comments on how much)

黄酒 - huang jiu/shaoxing wine (1 spoon)
酱油 - light soy sauce (4 spoons)
糖 - sugar (a little bit, whatever you do do NOT add too much!)
盐 - salt (a big spoon, then a little more)
胡椒粉 - pepper (some)
老抽 - dark soy sauce (a little little bit, half a spoon)

醋 - (2.5 spoons, separately so it can be added last. this is a common technique in chinese cooking with vinegar added after everything else)

a chef friend told me cabbage is hand ripped for 2 reasons, in the video they just say it tastes better/etc no real precise reason. they spend more time telling you how to pick a good head of cabbage.

1. ripping by hand makes less even cuts which makes it cook better somehow, I've ​actually heard similar stuff from some western chefs with some veg so idk if this is pure cooking myth or real. something about how you dont tear the cell walls by ripping as much as by cutting or smth

2. cabbage is so tightly packed even if you cut it with a knife youd have to use your hands to pull apart the layers anyway

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Mar 22, 2021

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
buying some cabbage next time i get groceries i love that dish and I love those guys videos

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Will Shanxi style aged vinegar work or should it be the chianking style? Are they very different i have the former.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

droll posted:

Will Shanxi style aged vinegar work or should it be the chianking style? Are they very different i have the former.

They're probably using zhenjiang but shanxi would be fine. They are different but they'll serve the same role.

Magna Kaser posted:

醋 - (2.5 spoons, separately so it can be added last. this is a common technique in chinese cooking with vinegar added after everything else)

Ya, if you heat vinegar for too long it starts losing flavor pretty fast so it goes in last.

Any idea what a "spoon" would be? Or are we in standard Chinese recipe land and there are no actual quantities?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

They're probably using zhenjiang but shanxi would be fine. They are different but they'll serve the same role.

Ya, if you heat vinegar for too long it starts losing flavor pretty fast so it goes in last.

Any idea what a "spoon" would be? Or are we in standard Chinese recipe land and there are no actual quantities?

It's not baking so a spoon is whatever you want it to be. But it's probably somewhere between a tsp and Tbsp. It'll depend on how much cabbage you're using too. If you keep the ratio the same, then you might have too much sauce the first time and can use a smaller spoon the next time.

But I too have my "spoons" that I use to "measure" things when cooking. Baking requires precise measures and I do actually have real measuring spoons too.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is anything labeled as "sweet soy sauce" the same kecap manis?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jhet posted:

It's not baking so a spoon is whatever you want it to be. But it's probably somewhere between a tsp and Tbsp. It'll depend on how much cabbage you're using too. If you keep the ratio the same, then you might have too much sauce the first time and can use a smaller spoon the next time.

But I too have my "spoons" that I use to "measure" things when cooking. Baking requires precise measures and I do actually have real measuring spoons too.

Yeah, I just like precise the first time I try someone's recipe so I know what the person's trying to get me to taste.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is anything labeled as "sweet soy sauce" the same kecap manis?

No, if it's a Chinese recipe it's something more like this: https://omnivorescookbook.com/flavored-sweet-soy-sauce/

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well crap. Wonder what I should use the sweet soy sauce I just bought for. Couldn't find anything labeled kecap manis. Not in English, at least.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's probably closer than nothing? I haven't tried to sub one for the other but looking at a couple recipes, they seem like the same concept done differently.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

like most chinese cooking i feel the ratio of ingredients is more important than the actual amount. use whatever spoon you want, but keep it to ONE spoon size.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
This was like, a year and a half ago or something, but I just realized I never posted about it in the thread I think. Anyways I visited China (Ningbo and Kunshan) for the first time (back then) and had some fun food. I took almost no pictures, but:

The most boring picture. Just some soft tofu for breakfast with chili oil, green onions, etc. But also the prettiest picture. And I only took 4 so I gotta include it.

Next, the culinary highlight of the trip:

These are two varieties of stinky tofu - the black kind first (80% eaten because I forgot to take a picture at first) and the not black kind second. Both with lots of fixings - the black one had pickled long beans, green onions, cilantro, and one or both kinds of sauce that you can see more clearly on the second sort of tofu. Second tofu left off the pickled long beans for some reason. I think I'm immune to most "smelly" stuff since not even durian smells bad to me, and in any case the tofu smelled totally fine. Tasted great too. It's fried, and so mostly it tastes like any other crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside fried tofu, but it's got a nice bumpy texture and the taste is of course more interesting than plain tofu.

Mahua - the green ones are flavored with seaweed and the brown ones are plain. I was there with some friends and when walking around Ningbo we would often pass through the drum tower street, which is a bunch of shops around an old drum tower, and each time we did one of the shops (this one, I think - everything truly is on the Internet) always had a massive line of people. One day me and another friend spend most the day in the drum tower street and we decided we might as well get in the line and see what was at the front, since we had time to spare. Anyways it turned out to be mahua, which I don't think I had ever had before. They were of course being made fresh (and you got to watch them being made, which was very fun) and people were buying like, 5 pounds at a time, which is why the line moved pretty slowly (because if you're making it fresh you can only make so much at a time and the shop would just immediately sell out after serving a few people). Anyways these taste good but everyone in line is absolutely insane to wait like, an hour and that's not even close to worth it. Between these and potato chips I'd pick potato chips every time, and that's even if I didn't have to wait for these! If someone can tell me why so many people in Ningbo are obsessed with these things I'd appreciate it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Surely if one is in Ningbo one is legally obligated to sample the pan fried bao.

I would support the chengguan enforcing this rule.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I don't eat meat, so lots of stuff is off the table.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I think this is a new record for how fast they get through the recipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LnrpnX7pWo

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Anybody got some good "light" recipes? A lot of what I've been cooking is usually pretty bold with flavours and spices, and usually pretty high in sodium and oil. I'm looking for things that are a bit more bland a little more easy going that aren't just attempts to make unhealthy food healthy.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Testikles posted:

Anybody got some good "light" recipes? A lot of what I've been cooking is usually pretty bold with flavours and spices, and usually pretty high in sodium and oil. I'm looking for things that are a bit more bland a little more easy going that aren't just attempts to make unhealthy food healthy.

My solution to that is steaming some fish with ginger and scallion. Or doing something veg heavy with greens and garlic and vinegar and just reign in the salt. I’d send recipes, but it depends on what’s around at the store.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Testikles posted:

I don't really know how far this fits in your wheelhouse, but I'm a big fan of Strictly Dumpling's tomato egg stir fry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj9_luDe7EE

It's pretty basic (and I know it's a fairly well known dish) but I don't feel like it's all that oily. Maybe a little high in sodium but you don't really need THAT much. It's delicious on rice with some laoganma (obviously skip this last bit if you want to avoid oil and sodium but I love me some chili crisp.)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There are several generic flavor profiles you can apply to just about any vegetable that make a nice light component of a meal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-Yu8qOAEYQ

And both of these tofus are good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjOG8chNW-M

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Testikles posted:

The lightest thing I can think of is a bowl of congee with some veg or pickle. But that brings me to thoughts of soup, which are going to be light and easy, as well as full of vegetables depending on what you make. Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK-LNIq5IM4

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
A recent bland recipe from YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssxwWvjUgKw

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jhet posted:

My solution to that is steaming some fish with ginger and scallion. Or doing something veg heavy with greens and garlic and vinegar and just reign in the salt. I’d send recipes, but it depends on what’s around at the store.

i think i watched this video a long time ago and it was fine and basically how i do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUyw0V7X1tg

it's more of a style than a specific recipe and you can add spices to you liking and get something more southeast asian style or whatever as well

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

one of my cantonese friends, as a light dinner, literally just boils a whole, peeled sweet potato in lightly salted water. she eats the sweet potato then drinks the "soup".

that's a light dish

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

fart simpson posted:

i think i watched this video a long time ago and it was fine and basically how i do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUyw0V7X1tg

it's more of a style than a specific recipe and you can add spices to you liking and get something more southeast asian style or whatever as well

Yeah, that’s pretty close to what I do too. I just riff on that method with whatever I want it to taste like. Most people will be able to find some sort of whole fresh water white fish that this works great.

If you feel really frisky add some lemongrass.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Testikles posted:

I'd look at Cantonese cooking and Yunnan cooking (especially Dai food). Cantonese tends to be pretty light in flavor and can sometimes be oily (especially with some dim sum style dishes) but you can scale the oil back in most cases. Yunnan food is similar to Sichuan food mixed with Thai food mixed with Vietnamese food, but tends to be lighter on spice (although Dai can get spicy), and Dai food specifically has a lot of dishes that are either grilled, steamed (wrapped in banana leaves on a grill) or cold salads. I will say though Dai food tends to have pretty strong flavors (especially if you're not a fan of cilantro).

So some recipes/dishes you might want to check out:
Bao Zai Fan/Clay Pot Rice (example)
Congee (example)
Pineapple Rice (example)
Yunnan Grandma Potatoes (example)
Pork-stuffed Lotus Root (example)
Golden Sands Corn (example) (pro-tip: take this recipe, blend it all to a powder/paste and use it as a batter/coating for fried chicken)
Spring rolls (example)
Yunnan-style Chicken Soup (example)

EDIT:

fart simpson posted:

one of my cantonese friends, as a light dinner, literally just boils a whole, peeled sweet potato in lightly salted water. she eats the sweet potato then drinks the "soup".

that's a light dish

My wife makes fun of Cantonese people all the time. "They'll boil meat to make a soup, toss the meat and drink the broth and that's a meal. Crazy people!"
Or the flipside, "They just throw poo poo into water, boil it and call it a meal! Barely any seasoning except maaaaybe some ginger!" Then we joke about tossing sichuan peppercorns at Cantonese ala Gail the Snail.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 12, 2021

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
broad issue but I find my stir fried noodle dishes usually end up seeming kind of bland regardless of recipe, am I looking simply at a sauce-noodle ratio problem or is there some obscure technique I haven't grasped or am incapable of on a home range?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fried noodles are like fried rice in that your home version isn't going to be as good as the restaurant due to a lack of heat. Most things it doesn't actually matter that much if you have the jet engine burner or not, but those two it does.

Any more diagnosis of that needs more details. As a broad rule, when my food hasn't been like I remember the two simplest fixes have been to use more oil and/or more MSG. Kind of bland makes me think you're too light on the salt and MSG. A little vinegar swirled around the wok right at the end wakes the flavor up too.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

lurker2006 posted:

broad issue but I find my stir fried noodle dishes usually end up seeming kind of bland regardless of recipe, am I looking simply at a sauce-noodle ratio problem or is there some obscure technique I haven't grasped or am incapable of on a home range?

Along with GF's advice I always suggest adding more salt and/or acid. For stir fry in particular I like throwing dark soy sauce and Zhenjiang vinegar to punch up flavor. Also make sure your sauce is sticking to the noodles rather than being a pooling soup at the bottom of your pan.

But yeah you won't get that true wok flavor without high high heat. You can try and cheat that with liquid smoke OR smoked/cured meats.

I'd also parrot the common foodie trope of "you can taste the difference with good ingredients" but depending on what you're throwing into your stir fry it really can help to try and get more local produce/meats.

What's an example of a noodle stir fry that you tried and came out bland? What did you throw in there?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Grand Fromage posted:

Fried noodles are like fried rice in that your home version isn't going to be as good as the restaurant due to a lack of heat. Most things it doesn't actually matter that much if you have the jet engine burner or not, but those two it does.

Any more diagnosis of that needs more details. As a broad rule, when my food hasn't been like I remember the two simplest fixes have been to use more oil and/or more MSG. Kind of bland makes me think you're too light on the salt and MSG. A little vinegar swirled around the wok right at the end wakes the flavor up too.

i throw a bit of smoked sausage in my fried rice and it comes out great, better than 99% of restaurants here in shenzhen

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

also just a bit of this stuff kicks up fried rice quite a bit, i love it

its from guizhou and the label says it has chile peppers, soybeans, chicken bouillon powder, sichuan peppercorn, msg, salt, peanut, sesame

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
is this a ten year old thread? wow, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

pr0k posted:

is this a ten year old thread? wow, yes

It's finally starting to get some flavor.