Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

pr0k posted:

is this a ten year old thread? wow, yes

it's just been fermenting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
It has that true thread hei.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I made some scallion oil using a ground nut oil base. How long will this last whilst refrigerated?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I made some scallion oil using a ground nut oil base. How long will this last whilst refrigerated?

The FDA says 7-10 days for homemade oil infusions due to botulism risk. These similar recipes give a more generous 2 weeks:
- https://www.splendidtable.org/story/2000/12/12/scallion-oil
- https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/scallion-oil

Don't leave it at room temp & don't rely on the sniff test.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I've left homemade aromatic chili oil at room temp for months and months.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Botulinum toxin is one of those things where you can get away doing something with no consequences for years and then one day it kills you.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
You can acidify it to get rid of this problem (*as well as following normal canning/pressure canning methods). Taking the scallions out of the oil will help, as does heating it well above boiling. So does eating it quickly. How do you have any left after 3 days I do not know.

Everyone has citric acid just sitting around, don't they?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Jhet posted:

How do you have any left after 3 days I do not know.

I seem to go through phases. I made 500ml of it previously and had it every day until it was gone, so I thought I'd better make more - but then I came out of the phase. It was heated above boiling and there are no solids in it at all.

loving botulism! It has to ruin everything fun.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I'm pretty sure it's made up.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

lurker2006 posted:

broad issue but I find my stir fried noodle dishes usually end up seeming kind of bland regardless of recipe, am I looking simply at a sauce-noodle ratio problem or is there some obscure technique I haven't grasped or am incapable of on a home range?

I jazz up my fried noodles with laoganma, but that has the unfortunate side effect of making everything taste like laoganma. A less dramatic effect is gained with white pepper. This does not sound at all like an authentic chinese spice, but if you are accustomed to fried noodles outside China, then ordinary white pepper is surprisingly enriching.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Pookah posted:

but that has the unfortunate side effect of making everything taste like laoganma.

This is a downside? :P

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pookah posted:

A less dramatic effect is gained with white pepper. This does not sound at all like an authentic chinese spice, but if you are accustomed to fried noodles outside China, then ordinary white pepper is surprisingly enriching.

White pepper is quite common in Chinese cooking. Go for it.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Pookah posted:

I jazz up my fried noodles with laoganma, but that has the unfortunate side effect of making everything taste like laoganma. A less dramatic effect is gained with white pepper. This does not sound at all like an authentic chinese spice, but if you are accustomed to fried noodles outside China, then ordinary white pepper is surprisingly enriching.

white pepper is super duper common in chinese sauces/marinades/etc.
not that this matters, tho. if it tastes good do it.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
White pepper is awesome in noodle based stir fries and hot and sour soup. Probably lots to other things too.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
OP said it doesn't sound like an authentic Chinese spice (I'm going to extrapolate to meaning 'to western white folks'). They did not say it's not common in Chinese cooking. 2 different meanings.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
late response. A rough description of what form my recipes take is usually 12-16 oz noodles. sauce base is usually a couple T of soy sauce, couple T of oyster, T ricewine, 1/2 t white pepper, chili component depending on the recipe, 3-4 cloves garlic and knob of ginger as the aromatics, onion+assorted vegetables and chicken/beef/pork protein. The issue might just be the lack of msg and proper wok hei as someone said.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 15, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

lurker2006 posted:

late response. A rough description of what form my recipes take is usually 12-16 oz noodles. sauce base is usually a couple T of soy sauce, couple T of oyster, T ricewine, 1/2 t white pepper, chili component depending on the recipe, 3-4 cloves garlic and knob of ginger as the aromatics, onion+assorted vegetables and chicken/beef/pork protein. The issue might just be the lack of msg and proper wok hei as someone said.

Sounds fine. If the noodle texture is off you can try cooking them and the other components separately and combining at the end. Here's what I would do:

Fry the meat and vegetables first to mostly cooked, remove.

Warm the wok back up, put in more oil than you think you need. Garlic and ginger first, fry to aromatic.

Noodles next for a minute or two. Add chilies, stir until you can smell them. Add the meat and vegetables back in, mix.

Huangjiu poured around the edge of the wok, mix. Soy sauce added the same way, mix. Add the oyster sauce, then your powdered mix. White pepper, MSG, a pinch of sugar, and you might want to try some extra salt here. Mix and toss for 30 seconds or so. Finish with a bit of vinegar and green onions. E: A bit of toasted sesame oil at the finish is nice too.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 16, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

pr0k posted:

is this a ten year old thread? wow, yes

We're a tenth of the way to becoming a Century Egg

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

droll posted:

OP said it doesn't sound like an authentic Chinese spice (I'm going to extrapolate to meaning 'to western white folks'). They did not say it's not common in Chinese cooking. 2 different meanings.

That's what I meant yeah; in these parts white pepper is the thing your Dad puts in his mashed turnips - it really isn't associated at all with chinese cooking.

Framboise posted:

This is a downside? :P

It's a slippery slope that can lead to skipping the recipes and just eating LGM off a spoon.

As an aside, I envy all of you who live in places where they aren't just 'chinese restaurants' but rather places cooking specific regional styles. 99% of Chinese places in Ireland will have essentially the same menu, which caters to the palate of irish people in the 1980's - bland or sweet. There was a place in my town that switched from serving the usual range to having a much more interesting menu, but they switched back after a few months. I'm guessing not enough people were willing to try the new things :(
Fortunately the Chinese population here has increased a lot in the last 20 years, which has led to the opening of a lot of Chinese groceries, so even if the restaurant choice isn't there you can at least attempt to cook a wider range of recipes at home.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Thanks for the ideas everybody. I'll look into these snd see what sticks for me. I've started cutting up raw tofu and making some dipping sauces for a light snack or side.

Jhet posted:

My solution to that is steaming some fish with ginger and scallion. Or doing something veg heavy with greens and garlic and vinegar and just reign in the salt. I’d send recipes, but it depends on what’s around at the store.

Do you do whole fish or just filets and is it just a matter of laying a few scallions or ginger slices on the fish?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Testikles posted:

Thanks for the ideas everybody. I'll look into these snd see what sticks for me. I've started cutting up raw tofu and making some dipping sauces for a light snack or side.

Do you do whole fish or just filets and is it just a matter of laying a few scallions or ginger slices on the fish?

Normally I'll just grab a whole trout from the fish monger and make shallow cuts down the sides. I'll put the ginger and scallions (and salt!) inside the cavity and on top and bottom. You don't need to do it this way and can just grab a filet of something of course. This would work with lots of different fish. I just prefer to steam instead of the French method en papillote because it's more convenient of a method for me. I add the vinegar at the end of the cooking right in the steam, but you could do a lot of different sauce combinations here too.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Pookah posted:

As an aside, I envy all of you who live in places where they aren't just 'chinese restaurants' but rather places cooking specific regional styles. 99% of Chinese places in Ireland will have essentially the same menu, which caters to the palate of irish people in the 1980's - bland or sweet. There was a place in my town that switched from serving the usual range to having a much more interesting menu, but they switched back after a few months. I'm guessing not enough people were willing to try the new things :(
Fortunately the Chinese population here has increased a lot in the last 20 years, which has led to the opening of a lot of Chinese groceries, so even if the restaurant choice isn't there you can at least attempt to cook a wider range of recipes at home.

A restaurant about a block away from me does all the "Americanized Chinese" classics, beef and broccoli, etc. etc. I was recommended an app on the google store the other day and downloaded it out of sheer lockdown boredom, it's Fantuan, an apparently Asian food oriented delivery app. Lo and behold, my local chicken ball restaurant has a whole traditional Chinese menu - I knew it had a "secret" menu but not like, 50 menu items like Chongqing maoxuewang.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Testikles posted:

I like whole fish best but often use fillets, and there are lots of ways you can vary it - I normally rub the fish with cooking wine, sesame oil and a little soy, then put julienned ginger, scallions, rehydrated black mushrooms and slivers of fatty pork or bacon on top (the fat adds flavor and texture, and I think it keeps it hot at the table longer). There was a video that said to throw out the liquid in the dish after steaming, I don't know what I do differently but mine is delicious with rice and I'd never discard it. That's dad's portion while everybody else gets more fish.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

delivery meixuewang sounds like something that would be risky lol

kfc here in china does like delivery 串串 which is a weird but I respect their dedication to it for having chuan chuan-sized, spill-proof containers that look like oldschool bionicle containers.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

So it begins

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I checked out that Fantuan delivery app myself too, but no one has a secret menu. It's okay though, because there are a few places that just serve food of different Chinese style already and the American Chinese food places are just that too.

Grand Fromage posted:

So it begins

Hooray, also those cups may hinder your success if they don't stay wet enough. I put mine outside and started a couple more to shove into the row. They are pretty forgiving as far as peppers go, but I'd cover that tray and set it somewhere nice and warm where it can stay damp enough. Make sure to take them out of the cups too or it'll stunt the growth.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I haven't seen secret menus but I've seen places that have two different names, even though I bet you they have the same kitchen. Though that was on the same app.

Also have seen places that have two different incomplete menus per app and you only get the full one if you phone and do pickup.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Grand Fromage posted:

So it begins

nice handwriting

not!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I just want to add sichuan peppercorns on every recipe forever

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I need sone advice on wok seasoning. I bought a (European, not jet engine powerful) gas burner for use on my balcony and picked up a cheap round bottom steel wok and ladle at the Asian store, because apparently those are the best anyway.

After scrubbig the wok down properly, I am supposed to burn away the rest of the protective layer of whatever is in there off and then season it with a high smoke point oil, so I was thinking peanut, sunflower or canola, as I have those on hand.

However, I can't do this in the oven, because if it really smokes as much as people say, my neighbours would probably call the firefighters.

So I intend to do it outside in my parents garden on the burner. But how am I supposed to get the upper inside seasoned if there is only heat from below? Is it okay to just season the inner bottom?

Alternatively, I could try to wipe down the entire inside of the wok with oil and then stick it inside a gas BBQ upside down with the wooden handle sticking out under the BBQ lid.
Would that work better?

Or should I do something completely different?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
You tilt the wok to season the sides. Grab some tongs and just lay the part you’re heating onto the flame. You’ll be able to see it change color and you can tilt it around with the oil on it as well.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I'll try that. Not sure why I didn't think of that myself..

Edit: I seasoned the wok today. Used peanut oil and did 4 rounds of seasoning. It took a. while to rotate the wok on all sides to get an even seasoning but worked well. First cooking test was a success, doesn't stick.

Scrubbing the thing down to get the protective layer off earlier was a chore though, first I used a steel wool scrubber and normal dishwashing liquid, then switched to a slightly more abrasive cleaner to be t It off properly.

Very happy with the result, now my balcony wokstation is ready and I am looking forward to doing culinary trips to Asia, since we can't do real ones right now.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 25, 2021

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know if there are other names for shishito peppers that I might find used at my local Asian market? They have peppers that look just like shishitos but that’s not what they call them and I can’t remember what they do call them. Just trying to be prepared next time I go.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
That’s the Japanese name for the variety. I’d expect you could google for the Korean term if your store is more Korean. I’ve never seen it called anything else except Capsicum annuum because it’s that type of plant. Any other name would probably be a different variety, but you could sub with Padrón okay.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jhet posted:

That’s the Japanese name for the variety. I’d expect you could google for the Korean term if your store is more Korean. I’ve never seen it called anything else except Capsicum annuum because it’s that type of plant. Any other name would probably be a different variety, but you could sub with Padrón okay.

All good information. Looks like the Korean name is groundcherry. I’ll add all those names to the list and see what I can find. Thanks!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
how much does a 500g jar of Pixian bean paste go for at a b&m store? I bought a packet on Amazon last time but idk if it's a reasonable price

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

BraveUlysses posted:

how much does a 500g jar of Pixian bean paste go for at a b&m store? I bought a packet on Amazon last time but idk if it's a reasonable price

I don't know, I can't even get it in b&m stores, but the prices over here made me angry at what I pay for other chinese stuff:

https://www.posharpstore.com/en/juancheng-pixian-broad-bean-paste-with-oil-doubanjiang-11-lbs

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
No idea if this is the right place to ask this, but, I really like Mongolian grill. Yes I know it's not even remotely actual Mongolian food. But I was curious if anyone knew what kind of noodles and sauces that dumb chain uses so I can replicate it at home in a wok?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Skyarb posted:

No idea if this is the right place to ask this, but, I really like Mongolian grill. Yes I know it's not even remotely actual Mongolian food. But I was curious if anyone knew what kind of noodles and sauces that dumb chain uses so I can replicate it at home in a wok?

Man, I wish we still had one of those; it wasn't great but at least it was different from the photocopy bar and grill bullshit that's out here.

Google pulled this up. No measurements, but it should be a good place to start:
http://www.loyalcustomerclub.com/facsites/mongoliangrillcolumbia/signaturesauces.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Oh man that takes me back. My aunt and uncle used to run Mongolian BBQ place in an affluent town in upper central Jersey and it was a blast while they still had it. By good fortune, they sold the restaurant and retired shortly before the housing crash of '08. Sadly, the grills are long gone; both the main one and a portable one (probably about 3 ft in diameter) that got used when the town was running street fairs. Without those, I wouldn't even consider trying to make it myself though upon retrospect those grills probably required a bit of upkeep.

I don't know any of the sauce formulations that were used though I do know that at least one was Shacha sauce or used it as a base. I know they kept and used a lot of it and that was my first exposure to Shacha.