Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«88 »
Carillon
May 9, 2014

I made Fucshia Dunlop's fish-fragrant eggplant http://andrewzimmern.com/2013/03/28...grant-eggplant/ last night and while good, it was a bit underwhelming flavor wise, certainly compared with both other versions I've made and restaurant versions. The only thing I really changed was using water instead of broth, would that really make such a big difference? Don't get me wrong, it was good, but not quite the fragrance I was expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Carillon posted:

I made Fucshia Dunlop's fish-fragrant eggplant http://andrewzimmern.com/2013/03/28...grant-eggplant/ last night and while good, it was a bit underwhelming flavor wise, certainly compared with both other versions I've made and restaurant versions. The only thing I really changed was using water instead of broth, would that really make such a big difference? Don't get me wrong, it was good, but not quite the fragrance I was expecting.
It's hard to really know, since taste is pretty subjective, but I've always made it with broth and it tastes like lots of restaurant versions I've had. There's a fair amount of liquid in there, so I would suspect it'd be a lot plainer with water. The fragrance part is mostly from the doubanjiang though, so maybe you didn't fry it long enough to infuse the oil with it or something like that.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Grand Fromage posted:

When I ask Chinese people for recipes they look at me like I have three heads, it's a very un-recipe kind of culture and def do whatever you enjoy eating. Nothing made my Chinese girlfriend laugh more than me measuring things out for a recipe, she found it absurd.

Yeah, my girlfriend finds it simultaneously odd that I bother to actually read & follow recipes but also that I can cook food in styles other than the one I grew up eating. If I want Chinese friends to tell me how to cook stuff I think the best way is to just invite them over to my place on a Sunday afternoon to cook in my kitchen and watch them do it while asking questions.

Or just use 下厨房 because that's pretty good too

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Also gentle reminder:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It's hard to really know, since taste is pretty subjective, but I've always made it with broth and it tastes like lots of restaurant versions I've had. There's a fair amount of liquid in there, so I would suspect it'd be a lot plainer with water. The fragrance part is mostly from the doubanjiang though, so maybe you didn't fry it long enough to infuse the oil with it or something like that.

Interesting, that's probably it the with the fry time of the oil contributing as well, thanks.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

The internet is the universal sewer.

There are two kinds of people in this world, people who own food scales and people who don't bake bread.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You wildly underestimated my liver's ability to metabolize toxins.

You really see it when you have a restaurant you visit regularly. The quality varies wildly at any given restaurant from day to day since nobody is learning a standard recipe/technique to follow. There's only one restaurant chain in Chengdu that is consistently good but even there it's completely different at every branch since there's no recipe book they're all following.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

China goons

fart simpson posted:

Also gentle reminder:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ayyyyyy lmao

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Fish-fragrant eggplant.

Ima make some tonight.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Bear Witness

What's the secret to swirling egg into a soup? When I tried it this weekend I just got a cloudy (still delicious) soup with a few clumps of egg in it instead of clear broth with long ribbons of egg. I just beat the egg and poured it in as slowly as I could while stirring the soup in a clockwise direction.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

What's the secret to swirling egg into a soup? When I tried it this weekend I just got a cloudy (still delicious) soup with a few clumps of egg in it instead of clear broth with long ribbons of egg. I just beat the egg and poured it in as slowly as I could while stirring the soup in a clockwise direction.

Using a fork helps some, but I'm still terrible at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I tried to make white rice with millet in it like I've had in Sichuan but the millet exploded in the cooking process. Is there a correct way to combine these while cooking?

«88 »