Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I made Fucshia Dunlop's fish-fragrant eggplant http://andrewzimmern.com/2013/03/28/fuchsia-dunlops-fish-fragrant-eggplant/ last night and while good, it was a bit underwhelming flavor wise, certainly compared with both other versions I've made and restaurant versions. The only thing I really changed was using water instead of broth, would that really make such a big difference? Don't get me wrong, it was good, but not quite the fragrance I was expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Carillon posted:

I made Fucshia Dunlop's fish-fragrant eggplant http://andrewzimmern.com/2013/03/28/fuchsia-dunlops-fish-fragrant-eggplant/ last night and while good, it was a bit underwhelming flavor wise, certainly compared with both other versions I've made and restaurant versions. The only thing I really changed was using water instead of broth, would that really make such a big difference? Don't get me wrong, it was good, but not quite the fragrance I was expecting.
It's hard to really know, since taste is pretty subjective, but I've always made it with broth and it tastes like lots of restaurant versions I've had. There's a fair amount of liquid in there, so I would suspect it'd be a lot plainer with water. The fragrance part is mostly from the doubanjiang though, so maybe you didn't fry it long enough to infuse the oil with it or something like that.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Grand Fromage posted:

When I ask Chinese people for recipes they look at me like I have three heads, it's a very un-recipe kind of culture and def do whatever you enjoy eating. Nothing made my Chinese girlfriend laugh more than me measuring things out for a recipe, she found it absurd.

Yeah, my girlfriend finds it simultaneously odd that I bother to actually read & follow recipes but also that I can cook food in styles other than the one I grew up eating. If I want Chinese friends to tell me how to cook stuff I think the best way is to just invite them over to my place on a Sunday afternoon to cook in my kitchen and watch them do it while asking questions.

Or just use 下厨房 because that's pretty good too

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Also gentle reminder:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It's hard to really know, since taste is pretty subjective, but I've always made it with broth and it tastes like lots of restaurant versions I've had. There's a fair amount of liquid in there, so I would suspect it'd be a lot plainer with water. The fragrance part is mostly from the doubanjiang though, so maybe you didn't fry it long enough to infuse the oil with it or something like that.

Interesting, that's probably it the with the fry time of the oil contributing as well, thanks.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
There are two kinds of people in this world, people who own food scales and people who don't bake bread.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You really see it when you have a restaurant you visit regularly. The quality varies wildly at any given restaurant from day to day since nobody is learning a standard recipe/technique to follow. There's only one restaurant chain in Chengdu that is consistently good but even there it's completely different at every branch since there's no recipe book they're all following.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

Also gentle reminder:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ayyyyyy lmao

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Fish-fragrant eggplant.

Ima make some tonight.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
What's the secret to swirling egg into a soup? When I tried it this weekend I just got a cloudy (still delicious) soup with a few clumps of egg in it instead of clear broth with long ribbons of egg. I just beat the egg and poured it in as slowly as I could while stirring the soup in a clockwise direction.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

What's the secret to swirling egg into a soup? When I tried it this weekend I just got a cloudy (still delicious) soup with a few clumps of egg in it instead of clear broth with long ribbons of egg. I just beat the egg and poured it in as slowly as I could while stirring the soup in a clockwise direction.

Using a fork helps some, but I'm still terrible at it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I tried to make white rice with millet in it like I've had in Sichuan but the millet exploded in the cooking process. Is there a correct way to combine these while cooking?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jhet posted:

making doubanjiang at home

Next summer I'm considering making soy sauce, because most of the GF ones out there are a little thin on flavor when most of the flavor should be coming from the soy beans and fermentation/oxidation anyway.

That doubanjiang is still smelling a bit meh, so I'm going to chalk that down to not using peppers that were fleshy enough and having a not optimal mold growth on my beans.

But I'm making GF soy sauce instead now, and that's going a lot easier and better. Having better control of your mold growing temperature and humidity is key and right now I have 10# of dehusked soybeans that have been steamed for hours, mashed, blended with koji covered rice and rice flours, and then kneeded into a dough which was shaped and sliced into discs to grow mold. It's wrapped in moist clothes, stacked in aluminium pans, and closed up inside a box that's sitting on top of a radiator for better temperatures. It's not 95% humidity or anything, but it's better than the variables of a winter kitchen.

I can understand why this method of preparation and preservation didn't arise in Northern European kitchens the way it did in Asia. It's not consistently warm enough, so salt-brines and smoke are a much more controllable and consistent method to make food last into the winter. Not that molds weren't used in N. Europe, but they were used differently (cheese/meats) and in a way that was more consistent with the environment. Slower growth cycles, focus on fermentation instead of enzymatic changes of the starches, etc.

Anyway, I expect to have about 7 gallons of gluten free soy sauce by next fall at the earliest, and there should be a bunch of leftover solids to press and use as a sort of miso. It won't be the same, as miso production seems to abhor the introduction of light and oxygen, so I'm not exactly sure what to call whatever solids that are left over. As I did make up 10# of the stuff, I'll be putting some aside in a light and oxygen free setting so that I can compare the two methods. Up until that point, the steps are the same, so I'll take 1-2 pounds and put it in for miso fermentation too.

I'm also making my own noodles now, because I don't really want to drive half an hour to get decent noodles anymore. It's not really difficult and they taste better than dry noodles from the store. It makes me laugh about how easy it really is to do.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
So is the 200k burner i picked up on amazon too much heat? It hasn't arrived yet and i'm doing my usual fretting like always.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Captainsalami posted:

So is the 200k burner i picked up on amazon too much heat? It hasn't arrived yet and i'm doing my usual fretting like always.

Do you have a hood/setup that can handle it? I'd worry about venting a lot more at that point.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Outdoor burner

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If you're using a 20lb propane tank, it's probably not going to have enough pressure to completely feed a 200,000 BTU burner. I think you'll be able to get 50,000 to 100,000 BTU's based on varying factors.

The good news is that 50,000 to 100,000 BTU is plenty and you'll probably be fine using 1/2 or 2/3 of that much power for a wok. I think there should be a valve that lets you turn the gas up or down

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 10, 2018

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

ForkPat posted:

Yeah, I'm sure it would be good, but you don't get those flames coming up over the side.

Also, you need a flat bottom wok to work with electric for good heat transfer. Don't use closed wok rings like this http://www.amazon.com/MV-TRADING-CO-Wok-Ring/dp/B00012F3X6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329463002&sr=8-1 on stoves if you're using a round bottom - make sure it's a wire wok ring like this http://www.amazon.com/Joyce-Chen-J31-0063-Chrome-Steel/dp/B00004RBTL/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329463002&sr=8-2. If you use the closed type, you'll damage the enamel on the stove.

My rental house only has a glass top so I had to buy an outdoor burner. Thankfully stir-frying doesn't take but a few minutes at most so even in the winter it's no big deal.

So I just got a wok today and made one of these:
https://youtu.be/bg8syllDtQc

Am I actually going to ruin the enamel on my stove like this quoted post says? I have enameled pots that are ages old and aren't damaged from constant repeated contact with direct heat.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I dunno, I’ve applied my blowtorch directly on the enamel of my stove, and I figure that was probably hotter than anything the stove could do

But YMMV

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

For this Stir-Fry Hot Pot recipe: http://thewoksoflife.com/2015/10/ma-la-xiang-guo/
What kind of temperature would I be looking for to infuse the oil at? I tried at ~140F but I have no idea if that's too low or what.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'd aim for right below where they start to sizzle and sound like they're frying

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I made some hongshao pork spare ribs the other day and drat were they good.

Got some chinese "rock sugar" at the asian market along with the spare ribs and fried it til it carmelized, blanched the ribs and then soy sauce, dark soy sauce, cooking wine, a couple slices of ginger, a capful of vinegar, some water, and braised it for three hours real low, so drat good!

My buddy's wife made it once at a dinner thing and I liked it better than pork belly. Im thinking of doing a mix of spare ribs and pork belly next time though.

I did pork belly char siu a while ago where I sous vide the pork belly overnight then sliced it and roasted it in the over low for about an hour glazing it with the bag juices mixed with honey, it turned out really good!

I really want to somehow make perfect char siu pork belly that was as good as the best kind i had in China but i've never had much luck.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 20, 2018

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

I picked up some of these the other day because they were really cheap, but I'm not quite sure how to cook them. Any ideas?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Tofu puffs are great. I toss em in stir fries and soups and curries and whatever. They're also really good with a general tso type sauce.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

That's what I was thinking too. I was planning on using them to make kung-pao chicken for my vegetarian girlfriend.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have seen tofu puffs used in fish stew.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Laocius posted:

I picked up some of these the other day because they were really cheap, but I'm not quite sure how to cook them. Any ideas?

It's most commonly used in soups. You just pop them in and get them warm.

They're basically just fried cubes of tofu, though, so you could throw them in about anything.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I quarter them up and throw them in Thai curries right before they're done

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You can cut them in half and stuff em with whatever and deep fry them again.

Or Cook in a stew.

Or cut into strips and add to stir fry after soaking them in stock/water

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

I made them into a vegetarian Chongqing chicken, which turned out pretty well, but I think next time I'll cut them into smaller pieces before stir-frying, as a couple of you have already suggested.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

I need me some hot and sour soup! Help!!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Piggy Smalls posted:

I need me some hot and sour soup! Help!!

https://thewoksoflife.com/2013/10/hot-sour-soup/

Ramms+ein
Nov 11, 2003
Henshin-a-go-go, baby!
Dumb question but trying to make fried rice. I make the rice in the rice cook and then put it in the fridge overnight. Every recipe says to break apart the rice before frying it but the rice is still mushy and doesn't really break apart. It doesn't become dry like leftover rice from a Chinese restaurant the day after. Is there anyway to get the rice dry like that? Thanks.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
I've had good luck spreading the rice out on a plate or small sheet pan. Then just leave it uncovered in the fridge overnight. Unless your fridge is way too humid, that ought to do it.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

You might be cooking the rice with too much water. I usually do almost equal parts, with just a bit more water.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Or just leave it in the fridge for another night uncovered and let the fridge fan blow dry it :downsrim:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kenji also posted a method on Serious Eats to cook fresh rice that works for fried rice. I think you just cool it down and then go.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Does anyone have any tips for cooking with mianjin?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I keep loving up sautéed green beans for some godforsaken reason. Besides the overseasoning I’m prone to do, is the idea to just sauté some garlic and shallots, then cook beans in soy sauce? Cause the soy and beans often burn by the time the beans are tender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Soy sauce burns really easily. Try not putting it in until the beans are already tender. You could also try steaming (or microwaving) the beans first so you don't have to worry so much about it.