Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ranter posted:

edit: what's a good easy way to use up a ton of leftover scallion oil?

It's used as a finishing oil in a lot of dishes, there's no reason to try to get rid of it quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Grand Fromage posted:

What? There are a couple real ones here. Only difference is it costs six times as much. One of my friends from Sichuan has an uncle who runs a legit place in Louisville, which I wish were closer.

I've had better Sichuan food in Ohio than in any part of China outside Sichuan.

E: And literally every Chinese person I've talked to here in SW Ohio is from Chengdu, weirdly.

What places are these? I’m in Cincinnati and would love to try some.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Grand Fromage posted:

What? There are a couple real ones here. Only difference is it costs six times as much. One of my friends from Sichuan has an uncle who runs a legit place in Louisville, which I wish were closer.

I've had better Sichuan food in Ohio than in any part of China outside Sichuan.

E: And literally every Chinese person I've talked to here in SW Ohio is from Chengdu, weirdly.

Care to name drop the place in Louisville?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

fr0id posted:

What places are these? I’m in Cincinnati and would love to try some.

Sichuan Chili is the one I'd recommend in Cincinnati.

10 Beers posted:

Care to name drop the place in Louisville?

I would but I remembered incorrectly, it's in Lexington. Panda Cuisine, 2358 Nicholasville Road.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Grand Fromage posted:

Just tried this place today. Quite good and genuine Sichuan flavors, though it was a weird experience for me because the cooks clearly are from a different region of Sichuan than I lived in so it was all different than the Sichuan food in my head. Good, but nothing was what I expected it to be. I ordered a shitload of stuff and have leftovers for lunch all week. :getin: The Chinese grocery right by it is pretty baller too, scored some 空心菜.

I really wish we had Uighurs cooking around here. :smith:

Glad you liked it. I've never been to China and don't really care much about "authenticity" but of the four I mentioned, their food is a little more unique than the others, which seem a little more traditional and what I'd expect "Sichuan food" to taste and look like.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Human Tornada posted:

Glad you liked it. I've never been to China and don't really care much about "authenticity" but of the four I mentioned, their food is a little more unique than the others, which seem a little more traditional and what I'd expect "Sichuan food" to taste and look like.

Yeah, you could go into a restaurant in Sichuan and what you'd get wouldn't be substantially different. I do need to specifically ask for more huajiao next time but I get that, most people haven't had years of building up a tolerance to it.

I failed hard though, I was so stuffed I didn't get a jianbing at the grocery store's little roujiamou/jianbing stand and now I regret not forcing one down.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, you could go into a restaurant in Sichuan and what you'd get wouldn't be substantially different. I do need to specifically ask for more huajiao next time but I get that, most people haven't had years of building up a tolerance to it.

I failed hard though, I was so stuffed I didn't get a jianbing at the grocery store's little roujiamou/jianbing stand and now I regret not forcing one down.

Oh snap, I didn't know they had one of those, I've never been in there because I have a good one I already go to, I'll have to check it out.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My friend said he shops there a lot and has never seen it open before so don't bet on it. But if you're there anyway, it's a good store and worth popping into. They also have a big Russian food section for reasons.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Grand Fromage posted:

I would but I remembered incorrectly, it's in Lexington. Panda Cuisine, 2358 Nicholasville Road.

Thanks!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Human Tornada posted:

Does anyone know what these things are in front of the bamboo shoots here?

Linked because I'm on my phone. http://imgur.com/oa7aZbB

If anybody remembers this post, the grocery these things were at finally put an English sticker in front of them, and it turns out they're jellyfish. Who knew.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I got a friend to bring me back a bag of good dried scallops from HK recently.

When I lived there i would just eat them out of the bag like a savage, but they are also really good in dishes.

Anyone have recommendations on what to cook with them?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

hakimashou posted:

When I lived there i would just eat them out of the bag like a savage, but they are also really good in dishes.

XO sauce?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

hakimashou posted:

Soak them overnight,

Then you can cook them with congee, or stir fry or whatever. Always soak them in water and let the flavourw come out or else they get too hard

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

caberham posted:

Soak them overnight,

Then you can cook them with congee, or stir fry or whatever. Always soak them in water and let the flavourw come out or else they get too hard

Don’t sign your posts mate

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Grand Fromage posted:

I remember when that place opened. It is actually pretty legit, particularly considering the location.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I threw together a riff on Hui Guo Rou with what I had in the fridge.

Bacon and lacitino kale.

Immediately upon posting this I realized I forgot to use the scallions. Dammit.

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt
Anyone have good sources/books for vegan Chinese recipes? I have Fuchsia Dunlop’s books and she has some that were good.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

coolanimedad posted:

Anyone have good sources/books for vegan Chinese recipes? I have Fuchsia Dunlop’s books and she has some that were good.
I've never seen a Chinese vegan cookbook but most Chinese cookbooks have lots of good vegan recipes. I'm working on a website where I review non-vegan cookbooks from a vegan perspective - it's not online yet (well, technically it's online, but obviously it's under construction), but one of the reviews I've prepared is for this book so I can tell you it has 35 vegan recipes, 12 recipes that can be pretty easily made vegan with some simple substitutions or omissions, and 8 recipes that can be made vegan if you're willing to stretch a bit (plus 45 recipes that are pretty much a no-go for vegans). Some other resources:

http://carolynjphillips.blogspot.com/search/label/vegan%20option

http://carolynjphillips.blogspot.com/search/label/vegan

https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/topics/chinese-recipes/chinese-vegan-recipes/

https://thewoksoflife.com/traditional-chinese-vegan-dishes/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Swapping the chicken for cubes of crispy fried tofu in kung pao chicken is not unusual at all and is great.

I've never searched out vegan recipes but most Chinese vegetable dishes contain a small amount of meat for flavoring, which could easily be left out. You should also look into Buddhist temple cuisine, that's your big source for traditional vegan food in East Asia. I never had it in China but I've had Korean and Japanese versions.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I ate at a couple really phenomenal, presumably vegan Buddhist restaurants in China, the info must be out there somewhere.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hakimashou posted:

I ate at a couple really phenomenal, presumably vegan Buddhist restaurants in China, the info must be out there somewhere.

I ate there too

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
Went over to Taipei this weekend and one night stopped at a random hakka place in a night market for dinner. They had hand-printed signs all over the place to try their special bamboo shoots dish.

We ordered it cuz why not. Was not expecting bamboo shoots drizzled with mayo (thanks Japan!), but what made their dish extra special? Candy sprinkles, like you'd put on sugar cookies. It was... not great.The internet says mayo + shoots is a normal TW thing, but I haven't found anyone on the internet brave enough to admit to adding sprinkles to their recipe yet.

Everything else was excellent though.

here is a godawful photo:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
What the loving gently caress!

I think fresh bamboo shoot season is over already and are they using the canned bamboo?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

For content, had some 熱乾麵 with fart the other day, it’s good

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

caberham posted:

I think fresh bamboo shoot season is over already and are they using the canned bamboo?

possibly, but I feel like fresh vs canned bamboo is the least troubling thing about that dish.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

For content, had some 熱乾麵 with fart the other day, it’s good

面 season is over mate

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

竹笋一般在6-10月份成熟。

竹笋是竹的幼芽,也称为笋,又称竹萌、竹芽、春笋,冬笋,生笋。其类型众多,适应性强,分布极广。一般在6-10月份成熟可收获,生长周期40-60天,主要品种可按味道和季节有两种分法。

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I was thinking of 春筍, there's 夏筍 but it's a lot harder to get and expensive. The tasty bits are also reversed

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

mayo (thanks Japan!

Local ramen restaurant near my old haunt in Japan tried to add a mayo ramen.

I gave it a try because I went there quite a bit so I thought ehh, why not give it a shot.

It was removed from the menu shortly after it was introduced.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've some pickled mustard greens that are whole, include part of the base. Everything I've seen says to soak greens for up to 4 hours before using, but that seems to be the pre-chopped variety and it's concerned with grime. Any reason I should treat these differently, or should I soak these as well for a long time?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Carillon posted:

I've some pickled mustard greens that are whole, include part of the base. Everything I've seen says to soak greens for up to 4 hours before using, but that seems to be the pre-chopped variety and it's concerned with grime. Any reason I should treat these differently, or should I soak these as well for a long time?

If they're still in the pickling liquid I think that's probably redundant.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I don't think it's actually a """real chinese dish,"" but I made something with some of my dried scallops.

Noodles with ginger, scallion, dried scallops and egg.

Soaked a few of the scallops overnight, sauteed a bunch of ginger, green onion, and dried shrimp in oil, added all the scallop liquor, some shaoxing wine, a little dab of oyster sauce, some chicken stock, simmered it a while, took the shrimp out, thickened it a little bit.

Steamed the scallops in a little bowl with a bunch of ginger and green onion, put some oil in there too. After steaming them I put them into the sauce and let them steep a while and break up.

I'd got these surprisingly good refrigerated Shanxi cut noodles, boiled them. Mixed an egg with some oyster sauce, white cooking wine, salt, and sesame oil.

Heated up a pan, fried the noodles a bit, fried the egg in with them, added the sauce, stir fried it around for a little.

Poured the contents of the steaming bowl over it, through a little sieve, smushed all the juice out.

Was realllllly good, very clean ginger/green onion flavor, noodles done perfectly, everything slick and shiny, dried scallop and egg in every bite.

E: these are the noodles, Lam Sheng Kee brand, they really are pretty good

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 25, 2019

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

After seeing this thread extol the virtues of the Angry Lady for so long, I was finally able to find some here in my country. Tried this out with some congee and really enjoyed it.

I just wanted to ask what particular product this is. I see there are several versions of the sauce and I wanted to be sure which one I had.

E: this sauce should be fine to store without refrigeration right?

anakha fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 26, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There are many kinds and they're all good. That's just the basic chili oil. You don't have to refrigerate it but unless you're desperate for fridge space it'll give you more time before the oil starts going rancid.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
But, that stuff is so good you'll never keep it around long enough to go rancid

The "chili crisp" version is the one to get

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I have never had a jar last that long either. But fats do go off eventually and refrigerating will slow that down.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Grand Fromage posted:

I have never had a jar last that long either. But fats do go off eventually and refrigerating will slow that down.

takes one to know one!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

You can also put it on anything. I just put some on a slice of NY-style cheese pizza. Delicious.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Nice cultural appropriation :rolleyes:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

They've started selling giant jars of chili crisp in all the local asian supermarkets.

Seems like the standard dinky little jar wasn't enough to satisfy the LGM craving.