Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Any recs for veg heavy dishes and stir fries? I need more greens in my diet. Bonus points if there’s a use for leftover pickled mustard.

Every Grain of Rice has a mashed potato recipe which is just normal mash with a load of fried pickled mustard greens (and I think spring onions? don't see why you couldn't add them and maybe some garlic) mixed in. Really tasty starch option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Ailumao posted:

Seattle has one of the most confounding Chinese restaurants I’ve ever been to. It’s called Sichuan cuisine (老四川) in the ID and it’s a bizarre not-quite-American Chinese but also not really like any Sichuan food I had anywhere in Sichuan.

I’m like it fine it’s just real unique.

I just buy caiziyou online from some importers the same as I buy pixian doubanjiang, xuecai, and other stuff which is harder to find. Recently found some frozen jiaobai from Taiwan I’m excited to try out.

You're just not old school enough for that place :D

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Ailumao posted:

Seattle has one of the most confounding Chinese restaurants I’ve ever been to. It’s called Sichuan cuisine (老四川) in the ID and it’s a bizarre not-quite-American Chinese but also not really like any Sichuan food I had anywhere in Sichuan.

I just buy caiziyou online from some importers the same as I buy pixian doubanjiang, xuecai, and other stuff which is harder to find. Recently found some frozen jiaobai from Taiwan I’m excited to try out.

sichuan cuisine before communism

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

没有共产党就没有四川菜

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Made some keto seseme beef, I messed up and used Dark Soy so despite my best efforts couldn't make the sauce red.

Tastes almost 1:1 with what I can get at a restaurant! Its a little different because my beef were in rectangular chunks instead of thin slices.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Keto Tso's, a little salty, maybe next time I can maybe skip salting the chicken for the marinade?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
What is the best way to get refrigerated ho fun noodles apart? I was told 30 seconds in the microwave? I shouldn't soak them right?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mcmagic posted:

What is the best way to get refrigerated ho fun noodles apart? I was told 30 seconds in the microwave? I shouldn't soak them right?

Use your hands to work on separating them. Microwave will warm them up, but your hands will too and more gently. Leave them out on the counter for a few minutes to warm to room temp and that should help too. They won't need a soak, they already have the hydration they need before cooking. You can roll them gently on a cutting board with themselves to break them apart, but they won't ever be perfectly separated.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Ailumao posted:

Interesting thanks for this <3

Have a couple more questions if yall don't mind!!

One of my best friends is in Taipei for a couple of weeks, and I wanted to ask him to buy a couple of things for me.

1) I would like some luxury chopsticks and don't even know where to start. Budget is not unlimited but I would not be adverse to spending like 100-200 for a pair- but only if it's worth it! I don't even know what I'm asking for here, but it would be the equivalent of a nice set of forged silverware or something in the west, if that makes sense. Price can be higher but I want to understand why the price is that way if so, yeah?

2) What else is worth grabbing while in Taipei? I was there a number of years ago, but I was busy (wedding) and just didn't have a lot of time to shop for specific items, nor did I think to ask the local we were with.

e: I am an idiot so this is the best I can come up with regarding the chop sticks in terms of what might constitute nice ones in general: https://www.amazon.com/japanese-chopsticks-made-japan-couples/dp/B075683WYB/ :shrug:

Taima fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 1, 2024

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

distortion park posted:

Every Grain of Rice has a mashed potato recipe which is just normal mash with a load of fried pickled mustard greens (and I think spring onions? don't see why you couldn't add them and maybe some garlic) mixed in. Really tasty starch option.

Sounds neat, like colcannon or something.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Rice, tofu, fried egg and lao gan ma. The Tofu was made fresh by the lady that runs one of the asian stores here.

I've tried a bunch of the lao gan ma jars now andf I think my favorite is the peanuts in chili oil.

This makes me want to try "lazy tofu" next.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnacGnv_-oo

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

Does anyone have a go-to recipe for yum cha style beef tripe (牛肚)? I made 牛百叶 today and it turned out fantastic (sorry no photos), now to tackle the other half kilo of honeycomb tripe in my fridge.

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

It's not easy being 40C000
Parallaxing to the Xtreme

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've tried a bunch of the lao gan ma jars now andf I think my favorite is the peanuts in chili oil.

:agreed:

I once bought a non-lao gan ma chili crisp and it was so bad by comparison that I threw it in the garbage. I will never forsake lao gan ma again.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've tried a few of the US knockoffs and yeah they're lame. Laoganma reigns supreme.

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

I made honeycomb beef tripe (⽜肚) today!

This was using some random recipe off the internet. We ended up with WAY too much sauce (luckily the depth of flavour is amazing) and I had to make ridiculous adjustments like simmering for 30 minutes instead of 90, but it turned out extremely well and fully captures the essence of the yum cha style original. Yes the photo is blurry from the steam and horrible but I hope you can appreciate the texture just the same :)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Tripe looking good.

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

Thanks!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Ulillinguist posted:

:agreed:

I once bought a non-lao gan ma chili crisp and it was so bad by comparison that I threw it in the garbage. I will never forsake lao gan ma again.

Lao Gan Ma did it right the first time,

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
There are some interesting tasting chili crisp made in the US, but they’re around 5-6x more expensive. I had a garlic one and it was good, but I’ll still keep laoganma in my cupboard for eating regularly. Not really worth the extra cost.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I love the chilli but I don't love the crisp because it just gets stuck in my teeth. I feel bad about this.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Certainly more expensive now, but I love Boon, it is pretty close to my ideal.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
nvm

idontpost69 fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 19, 2024

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Can you lose sichuan numbing tolerance by abstaining from it for a while? I feel like I've burnt out my numbing receptors over the last 10 years.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yes. My tolerance is lower now than it was when I lived there.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
This is a buff.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

A friend of mine gave me a jar of “holy duck chili crisp” which is from Canada and made using all duck fat and it was very good

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Am I missing something because in most of the chilli crisp products I've tried I just end up with bits stuck in my teeth.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Am I missing something because in most of the chilli crisp products I've tried I just end up with bits stuck in my teeth.

yah youre missing a brain, moran

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

my wife and i recently got back from a week long trip to yunnan province and took pictures of a lot of the food we ate. if anyone wants to know more about any of it just ask:

a river fish grilled over charcoal with a very spicy and somewhat sour sauce. very good.

9 out of 10 stars

a lunch at a jinuo minority village. starting from top left moving clockwise, that is a daikon radish soup, a fermented white flower stir fry that was quite sour and funky, deep fried potatoes, stir fried bamboo shoots, roasted chicken, some kind of pickled vegetable stir fry, grilled pork, and steamed sweet potatoes. with some locally grown puerh style tea from the village.

generally good but not spicy enough because they said most visitors they get dont like spicy food much so they cooked it down for us. 7 out of 10 stars.

some street food we got in jinghong city. starting from top left, clockwise: deep fried tofu with peanuts and vegetables, unripe sour papaya salad, and noodles with tomatoes and lemon. all of it was quite spicy and sour with a herbs and a similar sauce on all of them

8 out of 10 stars

similar grilled fish as the first one but done better. these fish were only 10 RMB each (like $1.50 usd).

9 out of 10 stars. one of my favorite things we tried

various grilled things. thats pork, beef, corn, mushrooms, tofu, etc. some of the spiciest chinese bbq ive ever had. very nice but a bit one note

8 out of 10 stars

hotel breakfast noodles with a fried egg. deep fried peanuts, pickled vegetables, spicy, and sour. good

7 out of 10 stars

unripe sour mango, chickens feet, dried mushrooms, and hawthorne fruits all in a spicy and sour sauce. the hawthorne and the mango were standouts to me. it was all very spicy and the sourness and sweetness of the fruits was excellent

8 out of 10 stars

braised lotus in an extremely savory sauce that was mildly spicy, with a spice that build up and burned the back of your throat. id eat it again

7 out of 10 stars

ground beef stir fried with mint, star anise, and chinese black cardamom. i liked this so much i looked up a recipe and made it at home as soon as we got back from out trip. this was excellent eaten with rice. everything green you see is mint.

10 out of 10 stars

some kind of tofu that was whipped up so it had the texture of meringue? ive never seen this before in my life and have absolutely no idea how they did it but it was pretty good and had a lot of msg in there. i'd eat it again

7 out of 10 stars

star of the show for me and my wife. fresh jackfruit stuffed with sticky rice that had been cooked in coconut milk, with shredded fresh and shredded toasted cocunut on top, with dried coconut cubes on the side. amazingly good dessert

11 out of 10 stars

clocwise from top: roasted and diced river fish meat with lemongrass, other herbs, and peppers. amazingly good and i ordered a second portion. grilled pork belly with a hot pepper rub. it was fine but not amazing. coconut milk cooked rice with toasted coconut and shredded coconut on top, this was pretty good too if you like coconut

10 out of 10 for the fish, 6 out of 10 for the pork belly, 7 out of 10 for the rice

beef skewers cooked rare (very odd for china! these are usually grilled until well done) with soy sauce and passion fruit pulp as dipping sauces. i liked the passion fruit with the rare beef. never had this before

8 out of 10 stars

crossing the bridge noodles. you get a pot of broth and all that stuff on the side (various mushrooms, meats, ham, vegetables, some herbs, etc) and dump it into the broth. then you add the rice noodles, stir, and eat. always a winner but the standout in yunnan specifically is all the mushrooms you dont get other places. unfortunately this was not mushroom season so the mushroom selection was more limited but still good

8 out of 10 stars

white flowers from some local trees stir fried with the normal stuff. scallions, peppers, etc. it was fine.

7 our of 10 stars

the fanciest potato chips ive ever had. each potato chip had some fruit salad (mostly apples and mayo i think) and then a piece of crispy peking duck style duck skin. thats sweet bean paste in the middle of the plate, and the duck legs were there for eating too. supremely good

10 out of 10 stars

the crossing the bridge noodles after adding chili oil, with the duck chips, and the rest of the duck that didnt make it onto the chips stir fried with chile oil. all good

the rest of the duck is the only part i havent rated so far and i'd give it a 9 out of 10

some halal chinese bbq from a msulim district in kunming. more of what was seen before but this time no pork. the beef was excellent tho

8 out of 10 stars

rice rolls with rice noodles, tons of herbs, peanuts, and pork cracklings inside. also very spicy and nice. the cracklings stole the show

8 out of 10 stars

yunnan loves its mint. this was breakfast from a popular place near our hotel in jinghong city. rice noodles again although theyre hiding and you can see everything else

9 out of 10 stars

a wild banana we picked in the rainforest. tasted about the same as a normal banana but had way too many inedible black seeds

5 out of 10 stars. stick to normal bananas imo

an alcohol distilled from pine nuts. tastes basically like cheap baijiu

i like baiju but this was just ok. 6 out of 10

a different type of river fish, with a spicy and sour sauce, a sesame paste sauce, deep fried peanuts, dried mushrooms, cilantro, and rice noodles. you ate it by packing all that up in raw lettuce leaves. i really liked this.

9 out of 10 stars

raw crab claws marinated in a sour marinade with scotch whisky in the marinade. the meat of the claws was totally soft and like jelly and i loved it and couldnt eat enough

10 out of 10 stars

braised pork arteries. very savory and mildly spicy. i liked it

8 out of 10 stars

deep fried tofu with pepper powder. pretty standard chinese street snack stuff but well done

8 out of 10 stars

charcoal roasted chicken with dried peppers. the chicken had obviously been brined and it was cooked perfectly. i loved it

10 out of 10 stars

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

God drat that looks good

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

anything in particular u want more info on

Carillon
May 9, 2014

fart simpson posted:

ground beef stir fried with mint, star anise, and chinese black cardamom. i liked this so much i looked up a recipe and made it at home as soon as we got back from out trip. this was excellent eaten with rice. everything green you see is mint.

10 out of 10 stars

What was the recipe? That sounds amazing

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Carillon posted:

Yes, ditto this. This I can easily make at home and eat. It sounds delicious.

But really that's an incredible amount of awesome food.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

fart simpson posted:

my wife and i recently got back from a week long trip to yunnan province and took pictures of a lot of the food we ate. if anyone wants to know more about any of it just ask:

This is great. Thanks for sharing!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

goddamnit fart simpson

that potato chip/peking duck variation is intriguing.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Carillon posted:

i dont remember which one i followed in the end but i do remember how i did it:

i used 200 grams of ground beef in a bowl, and put 1/2 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of dark soy sauce, 1 tsp of light soy sauce, 1 tsp of ground sichuan peppercorns, and 1/2 tsp of cornstarch. mixed that all together, then added 1 tsp of vegetable oil and mixed it all and let it marinate for about 30 minutes while i prepared everything else.

first i had around 150 grams of mint (weighed with the stems and everything before picking and washing). i picked all the leaves off, then washed it and set it aside.

smashed and minced 3 or 4 cloves of garlic and minced 4 or 5 of the little spicy red peppers that are common here (小米辣) and set those aside together

i remember the recipe called for chinese black cardamom and star anise powders, and i didnt have any at the time, so i used 5 spice powder instead. i measured out about 1-2 tsp of five spice, and 1 tsp of sichuan peppercorn powder which wasnt called for in the recipe but i like it so i added it. set those aside too.

started out by putting a tiny bit of oil in the wok just to prevent sticking, stir fried the beef until it was cooked most of the way through. pushed it off to the side and threw in the garlic and peppers, and stir fried those with some of the fat that rendered out of the beef. then brought the beef back in and mixed everything up, turned heat down to medium, and added a spoon of light soy sauce and the 5 spice and sichuan peppercorn powders and mixed it all up. then i added like 1/4 or 1/3 of a cup of water, just enough so the beef could kinda absorb some of it but leave a bit of a sauce. covered the pot and let it cook on low-medium for a couple minutes. uncovered the pot and added half the mint, and stir fried it all together for a minute or two. then turned off the heat and added the rest of the mint so i'd have some that wasnt totally wilted

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

This all looks great. I wish decent Yunnan food were easier to find anywhere outside of the place

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

It's not easy being 40C000
Parallaxing to the Xtreme
:eyepop: Your travel log photos and descriptions are amazing, thank you so much for sharing them!

I am interested in traveling to China someday and was wondering if finding vegan food is an option there. I'm not sure if you have any info on that, but if you do, I would be very interested to know if that's easy or difficult to find. Also, how much per day did you budget for food?

Edit: I'm also interested in what sauce/broth the braised lotus root is in!

Ulillinguist fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 5, 2024

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Vegan food exists in China but it is not at all common. You'd be able to find a couple places in the biggest cities, it's nothing like the US though--you're not going to go to a normal restaurant and see a vegetarian/vegan option or two on the menu, you have to find somewhere specialized. The rest of East Asia is the same, it's not particular to China.

There is a tradition of vegan Buddhist temple cuisine that is pretty cool. Best option is to just be a little flexible about your diet though. If you're willing to eat around/pick out meat you'd be okay. There are plenty of vegetable dishes anywhere you go but they almost always have a bit of meat in them for flavoring.

This is a thing that's changing all the time though. When I first moved to East Asia you were mostly just hosed if you were a vegetarian. It's become a lot more common and easier to find options now.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Does anyone else have trouble deep frying in a wok? Every time I try it, I:

- Undercook my chicken,
- Piss off the oil because something wasn’t bone dry or whatever,
- Clog the hell out of the oil with a bunch of sandy flour or cornstarch,
- End up with soggy overly-greasy chicken pieces,
- Splash hot oil on myself, and/or
- Cover my entire kitchen and everything in a 4 foot radius in a sheen of grease

and I can’t help but think I’m completely loving it up. I just want chicken wings :( How do I do this with a minimum of mess, toil, and waste?