Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Cool, they look a lot more like gyozas. Only thing I can think of is to make smaller batches so the dough won't sweat as much. Some restaurants just sprinkle flour on top but I think that just makes everything clumpy.

I'm more of a rice eater than wheat eater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Damp paper towel over top. But usually we just make batches of wrappers at a time.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
So is the corn starch slurry just a convenient way to thicken a sauce or does it have roots in traditional Chinese cuisine? Most of my experience is in Japanese cooking and we'll normally end up reducing mirin to give tack to the texture of a sauce. Is rice porridge common? Roux?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/04/velveting-meat-asian-cooking-technique-cornstarch.html

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The one true heezy posted:

So is the corn starch slurry just a convenient way to thicken a sauce or does it have roots in traditional Chinese cuisine? Most of my experience is in Japanese cooking and we'll normally end up reducing mirin to give tack to the texture of a sauce. Is rice porridge common? Roux?
Corn starch is totally western. tapioca flour or rice flour is traditional, my mother in law uses them, but damned if I can figure it out it usually either does nothing or turns into a gloopy mess, and even she admits cornstarch is just easier.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How does velveting supposedly make meat more tender?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Velveting is a great trick salvage cuts of meat. I think it's kind of like greasing up the pan. The coat spreads the cooking temperature around the meat so nothing gets burnt. My biggest complaint with stir fry is that it either gets too greasy, or the meat gets way too cooked.

I blame steak houses for spoiling me

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

caberham posted:

Velveting is a great trick salvage cuts of meat. I think it's kind of like greasing up the pan. The coat spreads the cooking temperature around the meat so nothing gets burnt. My biggest complaint with stir fry is that it either gets too greasy, or the meat gets way too cooked.

I blame steak houses for spoiling me

Maybe you should stop eating lovely stir fried foods and/or don't compare stir fried meat to rare or midrare cuts of meat.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009

fickle poofterist posted:

[quote="Ziir" post="390264521"]
Siew Yuk or Roast Pork

I have made this a lot over the years, it amazing for blowing people away at "bring a side or salad" bbqs and so on. It is so so simple its brilliant, and the vodka is a masterstroke. Slight (possibly sacreligious) alterations to the recipe can make it sing too, like grinding up some sichuan peppers for the marinade.

Is there any way to make the skin flatter though? This is the last one I made https://www.instagram.com/p/BCmqqHnS0M8r76HSREQdF4x0En-xX1Vq9NQmjE0/

I accidentally ordered a gigantic pork belly from my butcher (3.6 kg)and picked it up yesterday. There is no way half of it wont end up curling up and getting burnt...

Do you have a recipe for this?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

lambeth posted:

Do you have a recipe for this?

Looks similar to the one linked to on the first page, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3401971&pagenumber=2#post390264521.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Oracle posted:

Corn starch is totally western.

Corn starch is commonly used here in China. If I go to the store the ones available are corn, sweet potato, and soybean starches.

A lot of the sauces in Sichuan aren't thickened at all though. They're not really supposed to stick to the food, just give it a slight coating.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

How does velveting supposedly make meat more tender?

it doesn't, the pounding does.

when you "velvet" meat, you take some cheaper cuts of beef / pork you wouldn't normally wanna chew on - like top cap or blade steaks or something, and you thin slice them against the grain and pound them out. then you marinate them in wine and starch and poo poo and par-cook them for use in your stirfry.

the starch has a velvety mouthfeel, and helps hold the pounded meat together as kinda a cohesive piece - whereas if you just thin sliced and pounded some poo poo normally, it might fall apart or whatever. the starchy exterior also helps sauce coat the meat evenly, so it's like a classic way of doing poo poo. you can even deep fry the meat after you par cook it, which I guess is how the americanized chicken dishes like general tsos are done or whatever.

anyways, great technique if you understand why you're using it.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
The velveting only refers to the cornstarch marinade and then quick oil blanch. You don't necessarily pound the meat - I've never seen that done personally for velveting since it's usually used on really tiny pieces.

The only explanation I've seen is that the cornstarch slurry forms a barrier between the meat and the heat and keeps juices inside. I don't know how much sense that makes.

Also I'm with grand formage that corn starch is readily used.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
My mom uses corn starch so it must be legit.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Corn starch is the hallmark of lazy cooking says my mom

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

caberham posted:

Corn starch is the hallmark of lazy cooking says my mom

In that case, I don't think I want to know what your mom does with cornstarch

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

paraquat posted:

In that case, I don't think I want to know what your mom does with cornstarch

She doesn't use it. Nor do renowned Michelin starred Cantonese chefs in Hong Kong. The only remote case I can think of using corn starch is wet fried rice.

There's not much taste to the corn starch slurry, it's like a bio degradable food condom to pick up the oils and juices from your stir fry. It's a neat way to cook, but it's gimmicky like throwing baking soda on your green vegetables to make them look greener.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Isn't the corn starch to thicken the sauce? What do they do instead?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

caberham posted:

She doesn't use it. Nor do renowned Michelin starred Cantonese chefs in Hong Kong. The only remote case I can think of using corn starch is wet fried rice.

There's not much taste to the corn starch slurry, it's like a bio degradable food condom to pick up the oils and juices from your stir fry. It's a neat way to cook, but it's gimmicky like throwing baking soda on your green vegetables to make them look greener.

Michelin starred chef techniques are not reflective or representative of how the average competent/delicious kitchen of that culture cooks.

In any case, I don't buy that not a single Michelin starred Cantonese chef in HK uses cornstarch. Besides, HK is one of many many different regions. I just don't get your need to be all elitist about Chinese food and the 'one true way'. It's all just finely powdered starch. What's the big deal? You come off like Joe Bastianach talking about his mother and Italian food, without the credentials to back it up.

edit I grew up using tapioca starch, and use it in my own kitchen although I like cornstarch for my cauliflower and tomato soup.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 11, 2016

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
They use really good stock and reduce. But the flavour easily gets too strong so sauces are used sparingly.

I apologize if I come off as a Cantonese food snob prick.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

caberham posted:

They use really good stock and reduce. But the flavour easily gets too strong so sauces are used sparingly.

I apologize if I come off as a Cantonese food snob prick.

If you were actually sorry you'd stop sounding like that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Isn't the corn starch to thicken the sauce? What do they do instead?

In Sichuan a lot of sauces just aren't thick, they're not supposed to stick to the food much. You'll finish a bowl of takeout and there's like a full cup of oily sauce left in the bottom. But there are also gloppy corn starch sauces exactly like an American Chinese restaurant. All depends on what you're making.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

mindphlux posted:

is there a reason you don't eat in a restaurant every time you want food?

I'm just trying to learn new technique and become a better cook! if I just did the easy thing every time I wanted to cook food, I would have 1/100th the breadth of cooking experience/knowledge I do today. and my tiny fraction of knowledge and competency is pretty much 0% compared to what there is to learn from people and cultures worldwide.

Nothing wrong with that, I'm just not sure the end product is necessarily worth the trouble. I mean I get the appeal of fresh italian pasta but I dunno if homemade fresh chow fun noodles would be all that different from store-bought. To me it seems to contribute as much additional quality as hand-milling your own flour.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ShadowCatboy posted:

Nothing wrong with that, I'm just not sure the end product is necessarily worth the trouble. I mean I get the appeal of fresh italian pasta but I dunno if homemade fresh chow fun noodles would be all that different from store-bought. To me it seems to contribute as much additional quality as hand-milling your own flour.

yeah for sure. I don't know that the end product will be worth it or not either. that's sort of why I'm trying it. along with the whole 'learning for the sake of learning' bit.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone have any success making liangpi? I'm thinking of trying my hand at it this weekend as it looks interesting and delicious, always a great combo.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

Yes. That smokey flavor comes from insanely hot metal hitting things that are not insanely hot metal(they are usually food). Commercial Chinese places have these obscene, beautiful jets of embodied heat that poo poo out 150,000 BTUs and treat the wok like a Ronson JetFlame lighter treats a thin spoon with a bead of sticky tar slowly evaporating in its concavity. Tom Cruise-style jump on-the-couch-and-in-to-your-palate flavor action ensues. Dr. Mailliard cackles, glances at his instruments, displays unmitigated joy. Chicken wobbles back, forth in volcanic stir-fry-heat, simultaneously browns and causes singularity.

Is this why even when I pounded the poo poo out of thin sliced pork loin to something ridiculous like 1-2mm in width, it still came out kind of tough and chewy? I'm trying to make pork shogayaki, so it's not a Chinese dish, but I did want the pork slices to come out with this kind of consistency. Is it the thickness, the marinade, the amount of heat, or the length of cooking that gives meat the Chinese-food tender quality?

I tried making shumai recently, too, and I am not very good at making nice and pretty rolls :shobon: I also ended up making half of them in some sort of steam-fry setup with an oiled pan bottom and a half-inch of water, but it ended up browning at the bottom and getting really greasy. I made the other half with a more classic steaming method, but the bottom got really mushy and it was still really greasy. I used a beef-pork-veal mixture for the filling, is there some other kind of filling I should use for shumai?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 26, 2016

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I'm doing a stir fry for serving with rice for a change tonight (usually just add noodles at the end). Someone was asking above about how to make more sauce, and it was suggested to add chicken broth... do I do this when I add everything back in + soy/oyster, near the end? Just add some broth in there at the same time - or best to mix with the sauces first? I pretty much go by the standard method in the OP for my stir fries.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 31, 2016

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Pollyanna posted:

Is this why even when I pounded the poo poo out of thin sliced pork loin to something ridiculous like 1-2mm in width, it still came out kind of tough and chewy? I'm trying to make pork shogayaki, so it's not a Chinese dish, but I did want the pork slices to come out with this kind of consistency. Is it the thickness, the marinade, the amount of heat, or the length of cooking that gives meat the Chinese-food tender quality?

I think there's a good chance it's the cooking time in this case. If it's cut that thinly it might need even less cooking than you're giving it. Are you reserving the pork after doing the initial fry?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
My yi jiao as a non-Chinese, usually-low-carb-eating person, is that cornstarch isn't always necessary.

But I am terrible.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

bringmyfishback posted:

My yi jiao as a non-Chinese, usually-low-carb-eating person, is that cornstarch isn't always necessary.

But I am terrible.

What happened to the other cent?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Jeoh posted:

What happened to the other cent?

It went towards buying me Chinese lessons. As you can see, I got my money's worth!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nickoten posted:

I think there's a good chance it's the cooking time in this case. If it's cut that thinly it might need even less cooking than you're giving it. Are you reserving the pork after doing the initial fry?

I don't know what that means. I'm frying the pork over medium-high heat (about 6 or 7) on an electric range, making sure that there's no pink whatsoever. I cook one side past the point where the bottom side is brown, then flip it over. I don't want a pink inside. You're saying that I need to cook it in a shorter amount of time? Do I put the heat up, or down?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If you're slicing that thinly the cooking time is extremely short. Let it sit until it's room temp, get your wok/pan going at the maximum possible heat. Throw the meat in, stir it around for 30-45 seconds and take it out. Cook the rest of the stuff and re-add the pork at the end for perhaps another 45 seconds of cooking with the sauce.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alright. I'll try that out next I make shogayaki.

I tried stir frying yu choy today and although it tastes alright, it's a little tough and stringy. Am I supposed to blanch it first? Braise it, cut it into pieces, slice it thin?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

fickle poofterist posted:

What is the shelf life of fermented bean curd? And once open how long can I keep it? I seem to have heaps of it.

It is rotten before they put it in the jar :D

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

TastyLemonDrops posted:

The most common ones are sweet, yes.

EDIT: Sweet in the sense that they are sweeter than western sausages. It's more of a savory sweet than a savory salty, if that makes sense.

The best chinese sausage i ever had was actually not at all sweet but instead quite salty. Someone's family made it and in spite of a lot of looking I was never able to find something like it again :(

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I thought I should post about it here. I was at the grocery store and saw they had some nice pork belly, then I saw that one of the packages was $8.88 so of course I had to buy it. Now it's marinating to be char siu.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.womenofchina.com.cn/html/report/1163-1.htm

i'm glad the angry lady on my jars is the person who owns the company

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah by all accounts she's one of the extremely rare good bosses that treats the workers well and actually cares about the quality of her product instead of just squeezing every penny from every possible source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I know I asked about yu choy earlier, but I picked up some gai lan and I'm wondering how to cook those, too. Most recipes on the internet seem to say that the basic idea is to sautee them in garlic and oil for a bit, then braise them in some chicken stock. Is that a good option, or is there a better use for them?