Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
My girlfriend and I recently bought a carbon steel wok from the Wok Shop based on recommendations in this thread. This is our first time owning a wok, and we feel very much in over our heads with it. We have an electric stove, btw.

We followed the instructions Wok Shop sent us to season it: cleaned it, coated it in oil and put it in the oven at 425 for half an hour, then took it out, heated it on the stovetop with oil, and cooked a bunch of diced-up onion in it until they got reasonably charred.

While we had the onions cooking in it, the bottom of the wok's cooking surface started to blacken, but the seasoning started to get significant scratches and scrapes where the original color was showing through. I tried salvaging it by seasoning it on the stovetop with some more oil, but it didn't work out. We cooked fried rice tonight, and it all had to be thrown out because there were little black chunks strewn through it and the whole thing tasted overwhelmingly like metal and burntness. The seasoning on the bottom scrapes off distressingly easily without a lot of effort.

What's the right way to do this so we can get it properly seasoned and be able to cook with our new wok? Thank you to anyone who can help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Hmm, alright. I'm guessing that we ought to try to scour off the existing messed-up seasoning first before trying that?

Also, would it be better to buy some flaxseed oil to use for this instead of vegetable oil?

esselfortium fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 4, 2017

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Scouring off the botched attempt at wok seasoning is proving extraordinarily difficult. We'll keep trying and get rid of as much as we can, but is it possible to get away with leaving the original (flaking-off) seasoning attempt underneath and just seasoning it again that way, or are we in trouble?

I'm afraid of wasting a lot of oil and a lot of time trying to season it again and ending up still having it chipping off into our food because of what was left underneath, but I don't know how we're going to get this all scoured off...

esselfortium fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 7, 2017