Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I got something off of the "authentic" menu at a new place around here and I got the "smoky wok tossed chicken with roasted chilis"... It was phenomenal but I can't find a recipe anywhere. Is there a more formal name?

Looked like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Ahh okay. I guess I'm just used to lovely Americanized versions then, because this was amazing. And also had no peanuts but they did have that option as another menu item.

I think it was chicken, zucchini, chilis, onion, big chunks of garlic, and the scallions or whatever those are.

Glad I finally found a place with a more "authentic"menu (completely separate from their normal one). They had frog legs and all that weird stuff too.

emotive fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Mar 22, 2014

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I need some more vegetarian friendly Chinese recipes that aren't just stir fry.

Help me, goons!

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I was going to try making mapo tofu this week, however I only have the non-spicy bean paste... Would mixing this with sambal achieve a similar effect? If so, any guesstimates on a ratio? I can't imagine it's 50/50.

This is the brand I have:

emotive fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 12, 2016

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Amergin posted:

Depends on the sambal. I'd suggest taking some of the bean paste and the sambal and throw a few small spoons of each into a small bowl and taste until you get a ratio you like, obviously keeping track of how much of each you add.

But I think it would be fine. If the sambal doesn't have as much kick as you'd like, add some sriracha/chili paste/oil that you simmer dried chilies in for a bit.

EDIT: Also mapo tofu is one of those "everything goes in a pot" dishes so you could just add a bit of each and taste after you add stuff. It's a very "to taste" dish in my experience. But I also hate screwing up dishes beyond repair, hence the recommendation to mix the two in a separate bowl to experiment.

Yeah, that's a smart idea mixing it first. This bean paste is super pungent on its own.

I also have some Angry Lady chili oil which I could play around with.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Since you're all dying to know, I made Mapo Tofu.

Decided to just go buy real broad bean paste instead of messing with what I had.

Used Gravity's guide as a base but subbed mushrooms instead of pork (vegetarian)... I've never had it in a restaurant (or anywhere) before so I can't compare to anything but drat, it was good.

emotive fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 14, 2016

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Gravity's is good. Mapo tofu is also one of those things where every restaurant does it differently so there's no single particularly authentic recipe, go hog wild.

Yeah, I can see that. I didn't have any dried chilis so I left them out and bumped the peppercorns to a full teaspoon, but there was still plenty of heat... which leads me to believe Kenji From SE is insane because his recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of peppercorns plus 1/4 cup of chili oil.

I went with this brand (Ming Teh) of doubanjiang... they had this and Lee Kum Kee but I saw a lot of favorable reviews for this.

emotive fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 14, 2016

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Has anyone ever ordered from this place?

http://www.posharpstore.com/en/

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I made mapo tofu for the first time. I will never have to order it again. This is great.

2 questions:

What is everyone doing to get that gorgeous red sauce? Mine was a little more of the brown-red side until I added a little bit of angry lady chili sauce with black bean.
Are the right fermented beans for this found in a jar or bag? I've got two huge Asian groceries near me, but it's hard finding help there.

Chili oil helped get that glossy redness when I made it last.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Do people generally reserve light and dark soy for cooking, and keep an all purpose like Kikkoman for dipping sauces, etc.?

Seems like Fuschia Dunlop pushes tamari quite a bit.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

hakimashou posted:

In my years in China I don't think I ever saw anyone dip Chinese food in kikkoman soy sauce. As far as I know kikkoman is basically Japanese "light soy sauce." Anyway it tastes different.

Though I think they call usukuchi soy sauce "light soy sauce," but it's very different, very salty.

Anyhow I've always just used light Chinese soy sauce for dipping dumplings and stuff here in the states. Fresh shuijiao with soy sauce and black vinegar to dip is a drat fine meal and brings back a lot of happy memories.

Dark soy sauce is just for cooking as far as I know. Soy sauce is mostly just for cooking in general though.

Cool. Just figured I'd ask.

Made a dipping sauce this morning with light soy, chiankang vinegar, sesame and chili oil for some steamed buns I had and it's delicious so I'll just keep doing t hat.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Bedshaped posted:

I'm really sick of my electric hob. It just isn't hot enough for stir frys :(

Can anyone recommend a powerful portable gas powered burner for woks?

Kenji recommends wok cooking in small batches on western stoves. It's worked well for me thus far on my old electric stove.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

lol internet. posted:

Probably gonna get my head chewed off for this but anyone try using a ceramic non stick wok?

I know it's garbage compared to a steel wok but I have a regular electric stove.

I have a cast iron wok from Ikea that works well on my electric stove.

(not my picture)

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

Pretty much every recipe on that site is great.

Their chili oil recipe is incredible. I've been going through way too much of it.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

themongol posted:

Anyone managed to reproduce the angry lady sauce? Got a recipe to share? Thanks!

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Spicy_Chili_Crisp_(Angry_Lady_Sauce,_Lao_Gan_Ma)

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Laocius posted:

I've been wanting to try and make a vegetarian approximation of beef noodle soup. Has anyone else ever tried this? I was thinking tofu skin might make a decent replacement for the beef, but I'm very open to suggestions.

I'm not too up to speed on my Asian style mock-meats, but I believe that'd pretty suitable. I think they also make a dried mock beef that you just reconsititute in water.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

Should kung pao use a liter of sauce (750ml of which is soy sauce) and a cup and a half of sugar for 9oz of chicken and not use sichuan peppercorns. e: whoops it does ask for them. I don't know, but this recipe says so.

https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/kung-po-chicken

It also says it has a 2 week prep time though so maybe it's a huge prank??????? I'm not sure how great that sauce gets after 2 weeks but I've never heard of anyone letting their sauce marinate that long here in Sichuan so maybe I'm the crazy one.

Would that actually do anything? I'm going crazy over this since it's wildly different from other recipes I've learned for the dish.

That definitely makes enough sauce for several batches, but still... that recipe seems really weird. Four teaspoons of white pepper for 9 oz. of chicken? Three kinds of soy sauce?

emotive fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 1, 2017

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Jeoh posted:

apparently the guy has a restaurant in brooklyn making chinese food. idk why whitey needs to open a chinese restaurant in a city filled with actual chinese people who don't pretend that marinating your chicken for longer than overnight actually has any benefits, but hey, everyone's gotta make a living

our lord and savior kenji is here with two actual decent recipes though:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/07/takeout-style-kung-pao-chicken-diced-chicken-peppers-peanuts-recipe.html
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/real-deal-kung-pao-chicken-recipe.html

Shameless plug for Fuschia Dunlop's recipe, as well since it's fantastic:

http://www.fuchsiadunlop.com/cooking/

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

It definitely won't have the same flavor or funk as doubanjiang, but I wonder if dried chilies mixed with red miso might give a close enough substitute?

I have this brand of douchi and it doesn't have wheat listed as an ingredient:
https://www.amazon.com/Yang-Jiang-P...keywords=douchi
I only paid $2 for a container at my local Asian grocer though so it might be worth hunting down if you have access.

emotive fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 14, 2017

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

It is but it's the only one I can think of. Miso's been around in the US long enough that there might be locally made no wheat ones though. That and chilies is not the same as doubanjiang at all but it'd probably still be good.

There are quite a few companies in the US making miso with brown rice, etc... I know Miso Master and South River Miso both make GF options.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Cooking in batches is definitely key on less powerful stoves. It's made a world of difference for me.

Just be careful in an apartment, you don't want to set the smoke alarms off and piss off all your neighbors...

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

al-azad posted:

I have this massive bag of dried red chilis going to waste. Give me your best hot chili oil recipes.

This one has been my go-to the few times I've made it:
http://thewoksoflife.com/2015/08/how-to-make-chili-oil/

I'm assuming you can do it with regular dried chilis, just blitz them in a food processor first.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Does the ingredient to tofu ratio seem insane to anyone else?

A full 1/2 cup of doubanjiang and chili oil for one package of tofu?

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Everyone should keep in mind Danny Bowen is the same dude that puts beef jerky and potato chips in his fried rice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Yeah I mean frankly a restaurant is always going to cost stupid amounts of money because you're paying other people to rent out a space for you to eat, purchase and cook all the ingredients for you, serve them to you, and then clean up afterwards. If you want a good deal on food, don't go to a restaurant. It's even worse when it comes to Chinese food and Indian food because for some reason Americans are convinced these cuisines should be cheap even though nobody sneezes at paying some French restaurant ten billion bucks to dump some bechamel on foie gras or whatever it is French restaurants do. If Mission Chinese (in loving San Francisco of all places, where stepping outside to bask in the sun costs $45 plus tip) wants to charge less for mapo tofu than you'd pay for a plate of spaghetti and meatballs at the Cheesecake Factory, you loving pay them!

This has always irked me. People don't want to spend $10 on quality Asian food but have no problem blowing $25 on a plate of pasta.

Like, what?