Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Since we're getting some really good, authentic recipes in here, I'd like to ask. Please don't probate me for being a loving moron but, for anyone who watched An Idiot Abroad, is that what its like in China? Stuff like fried/deep fried scorpians on a stick being standard street food fare or did they deliberately film at somewhere to get this kind of video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm curious, check for what exactly? I mean now I'm of the view if its meat I'll try it unless its something like rat. Is it something like rat?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

From a family experience, toss them

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

You can't even get real soy? Like, the teflon coating I can sort of understand due to culture changes and such but struggling to find soy seems so strange

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Whats a good substitute for lotus root since I'm not sure how likely I'll find it here. I'll have a look since there are a couple of asian supermarkets though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I made the red braised pork last night but when I reduced the liquid it didn't really thicken up, just boiled down. I think its probably because I didn't caramelize the sugar properly but I'm not certain. Is this the reason? I've never needed to do that with sugar and since we only had brown sugar to hand, I wasn't really sure when it was done since I couldn't rely on a colour change.

Other than that I really liked it and the way I cooked broccoli as a side dish is definitely going to become a standard method

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I used pork shoulder which had a decent amount of fat/connective tissue in it. It could have been the reason though I suppose since it obviously doesn't have as much as belly

Jose fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 19, 2012

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Belly isn't that easy to get here since nobody uses it for anything. Got some for bacon after asking for it specifically and it had nipples all over. I'll pay more attention next time and work around it. It was really nice otherwise.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

Shizi tou (红烧)狮子头

I want to follow this recipe soon and was wondering how lamb mince would be for it? Would the flavour be too overpowering for the rest of meal? I've just found lamb makes amazing meat balls in the past. I have pork mince as well if its a bad idea.

Jose fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 26, 2012

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

[b]Boiled water meat :confuoot:, or Sichuan Spicy Pork -

Just made this. Was really nice but 2 big scoops of Lao Gan Ma blackbean and chilli and 4 de Arbols had made it too spicy for the other people eating. Easily fixed though and I think its going to become a regular meal I make.

Edit: I'm really enjoying this thread. Pretty much all chinese food in England I've had is pretty bad and most things I've tried from here are really nice and pretty easy. With a pretty large chinese population in my city I can get most ingredients easily as well.

Jose fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 26, 2012

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Its interesting reading this. What is always sold as Chow Mein in England is clearly Lo Mein

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm going to make the red braised pork tomorrow using ribs and was wondering if someone can recommend a vegetable side dish that is fairly easy and doesn't require anything I'm unlikely to find at the supermarket. It will only be for 2 people if that helps

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

plasmoduck posted:

I'm visiting relatives in China (Xi'an) and God I have missed the food. Is a quick brag allowed?

how do i make this

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

http://www.womenofchina.com.cn/html/report/1163-1.htm

i'm glad the angry lady on my jars is the person who owns the company

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

how did you make that beef?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

Stuff like sichuan peppercorn are also outrageously cheap here by comparison, but I'm not sure how that falls when you go through customs.

Also lao gan ma/angry lady sauce is equally cheap, and there are 1 jillion varieties in China compared to the 1~2 most asian markets in elsewhere carry.

watching chinese people going through australian customs with loads of stuff they shouldn't is surprisingly entertaining tv